Code of Conduct

Default Sour Shalimar Eau Legere?

I blind bought a sealed bottle of Shalimar Eau Legere (blue bottle, gold juice). Well, I sprayed a tester on paper first. So it was half-blind. I loved the top. But now that it's got a full wearing I'm not sure what to make of it. For those who have this one or tested it before, I need your help, please!

On paper, it starts with a really beautiful bright citrus and develops into a marshmallow-y vanilla. Lovely. Towards the end of it I also noticed something lingering in the background. Very faint. I can only call it a sour, slightly animal smell.

On my skin, the scent begins with the same bright citrus, and then after a short while that weird sour note pops up and elbows out the marshmallow-y goodness. What's up? Note: I also got this sour note when I skin tested vintage Habit Rouge Edc and very strongly with Cologne du 68.

From your experience, does it sound like the bottle is off?

Or is this the "tart lemon" note that I read of in a couple of reviews?

Or is it my skin?
    Last edited by Mr. Bon Vivant; 21st March 2010 at 05:35 AM.
    Anakin: What was that all about?
    Obi-Wan: Well, R2 has been...
    Anakin: No loose wire jokes.
    Obi-Wan: Did I say anything?
    Anakin: He's trying.
    Obi-Wan: I didn't say anything!

-ROTS

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Sour Shalimar Eau Legere?

You might be reacting to the 'cistus labdanum' which does have a sourish residual scent...

I compared paper vs. skin again and, yes, it must be something reacting with my skin. I'll read up on Cistus labdanum. Thanks for the tip!

-ROTS

Oh you're so lucky! I've been wanting a bottle of that forever. I have the Shalimar Light version, and it's just too sweet on me.

Basenotes Institution

My SEL doesn't smell sour, in the least, in the drydown. Very strange.

Thanks for the replies! I've been testing this for a few days, and that sour note has toned down to be almost imperceptible. I have to put it down to my skin that day.

Also - on my skin at least - this one works like the older guerlains: perceived differently when you have your nose to skin as opposed to what you catch of the sillage. The "aura" of the perfume that I get is really lovely. It's light, floats in and out of consciousness, and is not too sweet. It's not a diluted Shalimar either, but recognizable as a relative. I think Asha's review hits the nail on the head.

Quote Originally Posted by latelittlesleeper View Post
    Oh you're so lucky! I've been wanting a bottle of that forever...
    I feel lucky. One store had a tester out, but no stock. (Tester out on a 6-year-old item, no stock, lol.) They recommended another shop. I asked them if it was in stock and was surprised to get a "yes" - they actually had a 2.5 oz bottle tucked away with some older stuff. I have to confess my heart skipped a beat. They wouldn't bargain, but it sold for the old retail price, which is much cheaper than what it's going for on ebay right now. Oh, happy days!

Next up I'll have to test and compare this with the new Eau de Shalimar...

-ROTS

Basenotes Institution

Good to hear Mr. Bon Vivant.

I know what you mean about the way SEL smells one way, wafting in the air around me, and entirely different way when I press my nose into my skin. I love that facet of fragrances, because it's like two different dimensions of scent are simultaneously available to my nose.

For me, applying SEL always makes me hungry, because I think it smells like lemon poundcake, with sugar icing. Yum!