Code of Conduct

Default ehm... suggestion?...

I'm trying to introduce my boyfriend to perfumes. He has no clue about this.

I gave him some samples to sniff, niche and designer and nothing pleases him.

Niche ones: brosseau atlas cedar, lubin idole, r.piguet cravache,lt piver cedre, rance duc de berry,rance eau de france, libre d'orange antiheros, eloge ou teatre,bois 1920 real pathcouli, vetiver ambrato, d'orsay la nomade, le dandy pour homme

Commercial ones: baldesarini del mar, armani code, pi neo, pi, versace man, versace man eau fraiche, terre d'hermes, givenchy play intense, grey fennel, guerlain vetiver

And some more, don;t recall all right now, anyway, he sais about some that are too feminine, about some that are too sweet, about some that they smell like food/juice/bugspray/pepper, about some that are too sharp/strong, about some that he would never wear something called like that, or from that specific designer...

He uses some STR8 crap that I hate (thanks god it doesn't last more than 15 minutes) and an avon perfume he got for his birthday from an obviously perfume clueless person, cause it reeks, well, at least I don;t like itttt!!! I can't tell him "if you don;t want to use a decent perfume, don't use anything please, cause you're killing my nose"... it's kinda...offensive,to say that.

But how do I get him to want a decent perfume? He's honestly very proud of what he has now, he talks about it with a weird pride that I don't understand.

All he knows about what it's possible for him to like is "it should smell woody". I think he reffers to the actual smell of freshly cut wood from a tree. I tried to give him some woody stuff to smell but he gets peppers and bugsprays

difficult situation here. I don;t want so smell that awful STR8 anymore and that Avon stuff that either is awful or doesn;t suit his chemistry. (((

Suggestions needed. Please...
    Last edited by w3pearl; 21st March 2010 at 08:15 AM.
    "Diego: Why did you do that? you could've died trying to rescue me.
    Manfred: That's what you do in a herd: you look out for each other. " (Ice Age)

Default Re: ehm... suggestion?...

It's become a power struggle and he's rebelling by showing pride in his frag choice.

You can lead a horse to water...

[takes off shrink cap]

Have him try Gendarme for a niche starter scent. It's very clean and comforting. Not woody but maybe it'll become his stepping stone to a bigger world. Maybe Tom Ford Gray Vetiver could pique his interest.

Lots of great woody ones out there - Tam Dao, Rose 31 (my fave), Eau des Baux Eau de Toilette from L'Occitane, tons more (obviously)
    Last edited by adonis; 21st March 2010 at 08:42 AM.

keep him in the dry dock until he wear something decent :-)
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

Why not start simple - something like Blvgari Aqua, Allure Homme edition Blanche, or Versace pour Homme, then slowly introduce the more exotic niche / designer fragrances?
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

A good friend of mine had never worn fragrance (he's a 40+ guy), and recently decided that he likes Ambre Sultan - so my suggestion is to give your boyfriend some ambers to try (I didn't notice any in the list of scents you've had him try). Maybe he just doesn't like traditional colognes?

As for his attachment to the current scents, is is possible that they're associated with some good memories? Maybe you need to start wearing some masculines that he'll learn to like on you, and someday wear himself.

Mugler Cologne! Or in entirely opposite direction, Timbuktu!
    If fragrance has a gender, so does all art.

If he says he likes woody frags, get him a small decant of Creed Cypres-Musc. It's the epitomy of woody frags. As on BNer put it "it's like being in a sawmill...but in a good way." Anyway, it's, of course, got the Creed housenote (ambergris) which evens-out the cyprus. It's really a lovely and very masculine scent. Give it a go. If he turns his nose up, then throw away the STR8 and say the maid stole it.
    Last edited by sirsmellzalot; 21st March 2010 at 08:37 PM.

None... why should he use something you like? Just leave him alone, if he is happy wearing Avon, let it be. I am suggesting this based on my wife's tastes: she does not like orientals, I love them, she thinks they smell "old lady". So she favours linear scents - the most boring ones, a very simple Eau de Vervaine will turn her crazy... No problem with it. Do you know why? Because no fragrance will ever take over something I really love in her, her eyes as well as her personality.
    Last edited by Pollux; 21st March 2010 at 09:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pollux View Post
    ... no fragrance will ever take over something I really love in her, her eyes as well as her personality.
    That is so sweeet! I agree with Pollux.

Ormonde Jayne Man, CdG Standard, and CdG Dover Street Market are all nice woody fragrances you could try on him. But he may just like different scents than you do.

Blog Entries

Sounds like you two need a date to Sephora (or similar store). Go sampling together. You may warm him up to it that way.

WHOA! Ive been here 6 months and I haven't heard of almost any of the niche frags you're pushing on him. Those are like niche within niche.

He sounds like he may have a few fragrance "issues." That STR8 fragrance very deliberately named and marketed at men who are scared of cologne being too "effiminate" or gay. How old is this guy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejryu...layer_embedded

I think CDG's Sequoia is supposed to be the ultimate "wood" scent.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 22nd March 2010 at 04:16 AM.

If he is sure about wanting to smell woody:

Fahrenheit (I'm sure he'll love it) 10/10
    Gucci pour Homme II (fresh wood / tea) 9/10
    Jazz (fresh wood) 8/10
    Gucci pour Homme (powerful wood) 8/10
    He Wood (straight up wood) 7/10

If he isn't dead set on wood, he may like Chrome. It sounds cool and the majority of people like it.

Last edited by Spray; 22nd March 2010 at 04:16 AM.

Those are good suggestions Spray, but I think anybody who's committed to "STR8" is going to be a tough customer. Gucci Pour Homme is a nice woody piece of work, but the name "Gucci" likely scares this guy. The name "Chrome" might break through and it will help that he's never heard of Azzaro. He Wood might tickle his fancy. Good bottle too.

LOL - Their ad slogan is "STR8 - There's no other way" and the box it comes in looks like a vanity license plate. This is a contemporary Hai Karate.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 22nd March 2010 at 04:47 AM.

Pollux- I am not trying to get him wear something that I like, I just try to convince him that there are some better things than STR8. About Avon- don't get me wrong, I have quite a few frags from Avon that I love, so really no preconceptions here. But the one he has obviously doesn't match with his chemistry, smells ...at least weird. Anyway, that's not the main problem. The issue is that STR8 fixation he has. Re rebuys the damn thing everytime it's over. I just try to get him see that there are better things out there. Doesn't mean I like him less cause he uses str8 or anything, sory if I expressed myself otherwise, it was not my intention...

StylinLA- he's 28. You're right, he's scared of well known designer names on fragrances. Even a name like Chanel scares him a bit. If I start to say Gucci, Armani, D&G,Versace and so on, he only smells it to be polite, doesn't even consider them. But I keep trying, maybe he might like one enough to don;t care about the name. That's why I tried with some niche, thought that if there are generally not heard of, it would be better. But started to be a bit skeptic when I explained to him the concept of niche frags.

I'm not expecting him to become a fragrance addict, far from me this thought... but I'd really like him to consider something else... not STR8... Hope I'm not evil for trying this.

Thank you all for your suggestions, I'll try to get some samples of everything suggested what I can find, anyway.
    Last edited by w3pearl; 22nd March 2010 at 05:38 AM.
    "Diego: Why did you do that? you could've died trying to rescue me.
    Manfred: That's what you do in a herd: you look out for each other. " (Ice Age)

Hillaire

Encre Noir? This might appeal to him.

W3! It's alright! So the choice would be, keep on trying. Good luck in your endeavour... and keep us posted!!!

Quote Originally Posted by w3pearl View Post
    StylinLA- he's 28. You're right, he's scared of well known designer names on fragrances. Even a name like Chanel scares him a bit. If I start to say Gucci, Armani, D&G,Versace and so on, he only smells it to be polite, doesn't even consider them.
    Every man ought to be a macho macho man,
    To live a life of freedom, machos make a stand,
    Wear their cheap STR8 fragrance,
    Avoid designers too,
    If you bring them niche scents,
    they'll tell you no can do.

Hey! Hey! Hey!
    Last edited by StylinLA; 22nd March 2010 at 06:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by boosh View Post
    That is so sweeet! I agree with Pollux.
    indeed, what is a scent but a mere prop...the one we enjoy, for sure, but ultimately nothing important...

slap some kouros or antaeus on him
    see what he says
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

+1 Encre Noir.

The brand Lalique is nothing he should be scared of (no Gucci, Armani or something...).
    Last edited by Paninaro; 22nd March 2010 at 10:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Basteri View Post
    keep him in the dry dock until he wear something decent :-)
    haahahahahaa....