Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: What's your impression of "synthetic"?

Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    I believe you are referring to notes, not constituents in a formula. I'd be very surprised to see those ingredients in the formula for Terre d'Hermes. A fragrance house is not going to publish the aroma chemicals they use in a perfume formula. They will instead refer to notes that are familiar to the consumer.

Just because there is ISO E Super in a formula, does not mean that it cannot also contain actual cedar essential oil as well.
    ^ Thanks for the clarification

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    ^^ Ya, that's a big thing with me, the reason I try to avoid such synthetics, because they are harmful in ways, obviously not deadly, but I do notice when I wear them that people sneeze, cough, eyes get watery, etc. Common allergy symptoms really, I don't get this with TdH at all, nor with Fahrenheit nor with GIT, or many others.
    Actually science would disagree with you there. Naturals are more prone to give allergic reactions for the most part. That is why many of the synthetics are replacing naturals, because they don't have the allergens in them that the naturals do. For instance, orris root absolute (a very common perfume allergen), causes more reactions in double blind tests than most of its synthetic substitutes. Also, orris root absolute, being much more expensive than gold, is usable in only very prohibitively expensive perfumes. The synthetic substitutes enable some exceptional orris based scents (i.e., Dior Homme) to be made which don't cause allergic reactions in people and which are affordable to more people as well. This is an example of synthetic constituents being a positive thing. Terre d'Hermes is a wonderful composition. It obviously is not composed of either 100% natural or 100% synthetic ingredients. It is the artistry in its composition that is what makes it so attractive, IMO, not simply the constituents used to compound it.
    Last edited by mrclmind; 22nd March 2010 at 04:03 AM.

Here is a quote from one of my very favorite perfumers, Patricia de Nicolai:

As far as I’m concerned, the future lies in ever more creations, it’s what our clientele wants. Made with top-quality natural ingredients with more strictly controlled origins. But we also need to enhance synthesis’s image. I’m a bit fed up with the whole “100%-natural” thing. If some people want to go back to Marie-Antoinette’s perfumery, fine, it’s up to them. But as far as I’m concerned, I don’t believe in 100%-natural haute perfumery. We absolutely must need to change the way we look at synthetic molecules; journalists need to be brave enough to talk about them, to break the taboo. Way back in 1952, Ernest Beaux** said, “Perfumery’s future lies in chemistry”

I enjoy the perfect scent of orange blossom, jasmine in bloom, a fresh orange, and some nice lavender. That is my impression of natural and I am no scientist. I'd like to go back to Marie Antoinette's perfumer as long as it smells great.
    Last edited by bokaba; 22nd March 2010 at 04:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bokaba View Post
    I enjoy the perfect scent of orange blossom, jasmine in bloom, a fresh orange, and some nice lavender. That is my impression of natural and I am no scientist. I'd like to go back to Marie Antoinette's perfumer as long as it smells great.
    I think most of us love those scents as well. But synthetics do have a very important place in modern perfumery.

Right you are! Without synthetics our modern industry would proabably flop overnight. Even all natural oils sometimes smell "off."

Ehh, this thread got way too specific, of course everything is man made in cologne. Every fragrance has to have alcohol in it. Alcohol is not natural.

More what I was going for, is what's your impression of an overall synthetic fragrance? What would you consider a synthetic fragrance? Can we all agree that everything out of the Claiborne and Versace houses are synthetic smelling? It's good to know what you all think on this specific topic to better help, not just me but everyone reading this when addressing other threads. Thanks

I've found that often times notes that people don't know what they smell like in real life are labeled as synthetic when they are encountered in scents.

Most prominently i've noticed this in regards to clary sage. Some scents have a very clear and natural smelling clary sage note (probably synthetic as they tend to maintain more clarity and sparkle than a real clary sage oil - ie: they freeze the top notes of clary sage) and this gets labeled as a synthetic 'fresh' molecule. Versace Pour Homme, for instance, has a wonderful clary sage note although many people say that even this stage of the scent (early on, < 1 hour) smells extremely synthetic. Actually, it smells a lot like clary sage oil!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

I do not make the natural/synthetic categorization instinctively. I believe that all scents have totally synthetic molecules in them nowadays (except of course when stated otherwise) and very few companies will pay for a natural component if they can find something that an ordinary nose will perceive it as "99% similar".
    However there are fragrances that have lit up the "synthetic" sign in my mind the moment I smelled them. And even then, there is "good synthetic" like Comme des Garcons 3, and "bad synthetic" like Beyond Paradise for Men. In fact the latter should be turned into a case study of how perfumers should not use aromechicals to create imaginary landsapes. While the sense of "syntheticness" of CdG3 is vibrant, pulsating even, and really opens your imagination towards images relating to science fiction, Beyond Paradise presents itself as a dense, impenetrable mass of chemical fumes.
    On the opposie side of the spectrum I tend to characterize (in my mind always and completely arbitrarily I admit) as "natural" scents that contain topnotes that can be even characterised as ugly or discordant but during their progression and as the volume of the topnotes is turned down, the remaining fractions of these discordant topnotes become beautiful and armonious elements in the composition. CdG Patchouli Luxe and many MPG scents fit that description.

Good post thatnks, ya I never tried Beyond Paradise, I always thought the bottle was kind of trippy and intriguing. When I think of "synthetic messes" Desire, Curve Crush, Mambo, and Versace V/S come to mind, ironically.. I despise all of those. While there are also frags I despise that aren't as synthetic smelling, and there are also more synthetic smelling ones that I strongly like.