Code of Conduct

Default Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

Rediscovering a long lost friend.

I haven't posted in this forum for a while. It's been a combination of things really, too busy and also not having anything noteworthy to contribute. I haven't bought anything new since last November so I'm enjoying what's in my large-ish collection.

Due to summer I've worn my warm weather frags, and the whole fragrance thing has become a bit mechanical. Just find something fresh / clean etc. spray X times, go to work. This morning the process changed; I decided to wear Fahrenheit. My bottle hasn't been used for a very long time and for some reason it called to me.

The warm opening is amazing. Hints of florals transition to a deep green-violet accord. The base transitions to a sweet sandalwood, amber, & leather accord; perfectly blended. This complexity inspired me to write this post.

Fahrenheit in my opinion is a better fragrance than most designer / niche offerrings in the market today. Unlike modern designers there is nothing "muted" about it, and it makes no apologies for that. In contrast to some modern "niche" releases (Tom Ford Private Blends I'm looking at you) it carries proper development, each transition is easily detected, more importantly each phase is beautiful to sniff

Whilst not trendy it isn't dated, and it has character in spades. Wear it with pride!
    Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Default Re: Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

There can't be said enough good things about this frag!

A true classic ... this juice will never, ever be discontinued.

Viva Dior!

Discontinued?... God, I hope not. Ever

for me is the paradigm of the fragances. What´s a fragance?? a fragance is Farenheit.

Im so with you on this one J!

I only recently rekindled my love affair with the original Fahrenheit as well - one that I haven't worn since 1993! Despite the subsequent reformulations, much like yourself, I too feel it is still a scent that trumps many other mainstream releases. Totally a modern classic.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    Im so with you on this one J!

I only recently rekindled my love affair with the original Fahrenheit as well - one that I haven't worn since 1993! Despite the subsequent reformulations, much like yourself, I too feel it is still a scent that trumps many other mainstream releases. Totally a modern classic.
    You know Dimi I didn't want to mention that Fahrenheit takes me back to the end of the eighties / start of the 90s for fear of my post sounding like sentimental sop... but it does transport me. Amazing how well it wears today.
    Last edited by jathanas; 21st March 2010 at 11:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Grand Duc View Post
    There can't be said enough good things about this frag!

A true classic ... this juice will never, ever be discontinued.

Viva Dior!
    Quote Originally Posted by seasoldiermarine View Post
    Discontinued?... God, I hope not. Ever
    Quote Originally Posted by blackened View Post
    for me is the paradigm of the fragances. What´s a fragance?? a fragance is Farenheit.
    Great to see the love

Quote Originally Posted by jathanas View Post
    You know Dimi I didn't want to mention that Fahrenheit takes me back to the end of the eighties / start of the 90s for the fear of my post sounding like sentimental sop... but it does transport me. Amazing how well it wears today.
    Oh well, then we are both sops mate!
    I distinctly recall the launch of this in Myer Perth! I had just moved out of home, was in university and going crazy with the lay-deeez. Fahrenheit seems to bring it all back to me. And yes, its still very relevant today!

I can't help but think of my year 11 Geometry and Trigonometry every time I smell it. I received a '...if you like Fahrenheit, you'll love...' imitation bottle of this for my 15th birthday, and I remember wearing it to the G&T (which was my first class of the day 3 times a week).
    I should really buy a bottle; my girlfriend loves the smell of petrol, and its a very rich, full frag compared to some of the stuff being pumped out lately
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony87 View Post
    I can't help but think of my year 11 Geometry and Trigonometry every time I smell it. I received a '...if you like Fahrenheit, you'll love...' imitation bottle of this for my 15th birthday, and I remember wearing it to the G&T (which was my first class of the day 3 times a week).
    I should really buy a bottle; my girlfriend loves the smell of petrol, and its a very rich, full frag compared to some of the stuff being pumped out lately
    You know I remember those imitation frags, classy or what? Can't say I associate Fahrenheit with maths though...

I was on the lookout for another 100ml bottle but it's hard to find Fahrenheit discounted (locally anyway)...

I own and occasionally wear Farenheit , and I'm dying to try Farenheit Absolute, but it's not available anywhere in Canada yet. For those of you who know and love the original, how would you compare Farenheit Absolute?

I think it would be helpful if someone could speak to how the new formulation compares to the original. Thanks.

My mom once ranted to me all pissed off because my dad didn't like the scents she bought him: "I've bought him all the greats," she exclaimed. "Even Dior's Fahrenheit! Does he pick up on how I want him to smell? Hell no!"

It is a great one. Not like anything from its period either. A total stand alone smell, I think. What a thing to make!
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

There are no words to explain the Love i have for FAHRENHEIT, it is truly a masterpiece IMHO, The most complemented fragrance in my wardrobe.
    Check out my YouTube Channel
    http://www.youtube.com/user/JRWRlTER

I just tried it for the first time in at least 15 years (I'm always reticent to do this as it opens the memory and emotional floodgates of the past) and I gotta say, it does not smell the same as it did "back in the day". The violet is now much toned down.
    Last edited by adonis; 22nd March 2010 at 02:54 AM.

god i love this fragrance. i was telling my friend who is an automotive enthusiast to get the bottle without sampling it since he cannot get a sample where he lives. the best way i can describe it is picture someone walking shirtless thru a rainforest whilt its pouring rain, getting that green, wet smell. then goinng underneath a car and working on it for 6+ hours and mixing in that motor oil/gasoline smell. love it.

Simply the best. Initial scent, long term scent, longevity, projection, versatility, bottle design. Just a masterpiece in every aspect and nothing will ever be as unique as this. I keep searching high and low to try to see if anything will ever replace my top shelf signature cologne Fahrenheit, and nothing has really come close. A lot of people are sick of hearing about Fahrenheit, but lets face it, it will forever be praised because it's just so damn good.

Quote Originally Posted by jathanas View Post
    You know I remember those imitation frags, classy or what? Can't say I associate Fahrenheit with maths though...

I was on the lookout for another 100ml bottle but it's hard to find Fahrenheit discounted (locally anyway)...
    I think Matthewfoo had a bottle for 60$ in his for sale thread? The Perfume Connection have tester sales for Christian Dior quite often, might pick one up there.
    K-Mart used to sell the imitations, I remember seeing 'Jail' (Joop) and thinking $10 was 'a bit too much.'

I remember seeing 'Jail' (Joop) and thinking $10 was 'a bit too much.'
    Hehehe--"Jail?" Hehehe. Actually, that's not a bad idea since it suggests where Joop wearers should go.

I think Matthewfoo had a bottle for 60$ in his for sale thread? The Perfume Connection have tester sales for Christian Dior quite often, might pick one up there.
    K-Mart used to sell the imitations, I remember seeing 'Jail' (Joop) and thinking $10 was 'a bit too much.'
    I might waltz past a Perfume Connection on the way home. Cheers bud. Jail for $10... LOL

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    Hehehe--"Jail?" Hehehe. Actually, that's not a bad idea since it suggests where Joop wearers should go.
    DustB: Joop could be used in high security situations or during times of unrest in prisons to stun the captives; or one could use something less painful (and less cruel) like tear gas.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

I agree the newer formulation is a little muted at the top and doesn't last quite as long. Go vintage with this one if you can.

Quote Originally Posted by dreamchaser View Post
    I own and occasionally wear Farenheit , and I'm dying to try Farenheit Absolute, but it's not available anywhere in Canada yet. For those of you who know and love the original, how would you compare Farenheit Absolute?
    Absolute is interesting, but I much prefer the original. I don't get any of the original in the Absolute. It's about as close to the original as is Fahrenheit 32 (that is, not at all). Totally its own thing. Worth checking out, but I wouldn't spend a lot of money on a blind buy.

Quote Originally Posted by thierry mugler View Post
    There are no words to explain the Love i have for FAHRENHEIT, it is truly a masterpiece IMHO, The most complemented fragrance in my wardrobe.
    Didn't you do a youtube review of this one? - I liked it immediately!
    Last edited by narcus; 22nd March 2010 at 08:44 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

If you'd allow a dissenter to chyme in, I'd like to say that I could never get to love the 'petroleum' accord in this one.
    I don't know if my nose picks up this accord more than anything else in this but that's all I could smell every time I tried.

As the opinions expressed in this thread prove, it is quite a hit amongst a lot of people.

I've had the same bottle almost since the time it first came out. Barely touched it in years.
    Put some on yesterday and now I'm hooked!
    My friend has the newer formula and I can tell the difference a mile away.
    It took me a while with Fahrenheit, but now I "get it".

Let this be a lesson to those who would throw out what they do not understand. I almost did.

After having read a few bad reviews, I decided to stay away from Fahrenheit, but I now think that my next purchase should include a sample of this.

Quote Originally Posted by HammerFist View Post
    After having read a few bad reviews, I decided to stay away from Fahrenheit, but I now think that my next purchase should include a sample of this.
    Its a love/hate classic (like Kouros), definitely worth sampling to get a good idea of a strong violet and petrol note!

Triple post
    Last edited by Anthony87; 22nd March 2010 at 12:44 PM.

Triple post, stupid internets
    Last edited by Anthony87; 22nd March 2010 at 12:44 PM.

I've, perhaps unfairly, written off Fahrenheit for years only because of the massively annoying advertising campaigns for it here in the UK - it's as if no other frag exists.

But reading this thread, and seeing as how I've got a real love affair going on with Eau Sauvage at the mo, perhaps I ought to give it a try.....

Surprisingly, I do like Fahrenheit. I usually detest green fragrances made in the 1980s, but this one smells damn good to me. I have never worn it as a SotD, so that will be the ultimate test for me. But smelling this on a card or on other men, I really like it ! I get no petrol note, but since I have smelled Knize Ten and a few other gargage like stinkers, this one is a "walk in the park" .

Speaking of smelling Fahrenheit on other guys, this one became a great mystery for me. Every so often I would smell it on a man. Usually, the man was in his 40s. I never knew what it was. I thought it was Polo, except it is not piney. Then thought it was Azzaro, but it was not barbershop-esque like it. Finally, after being brave enough to sample Fahrenheit in a department store, I had it all nailed down .

Quote Originally Posted by dreamchaser View Post
    FA is available in Canada. Maybe not at The Bay or Sear or that awful place known as Holt Renfrew, but it is certainly here. Just try the smaller privately owned shos. There is one in my city that sells it.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Quote Originally Posted by HammerFist View Post
    I think the best way of describing Fahrenheit to somebody who has never tried it is asking if when you go to gas stations do you try to inhale the smell of gasoline? I am the type that has always loved the smell, but obviously you don't wanna inhale too much because it could be dangerous. Fahrenheit lets you inhale this gasoline/motor oil safely. Combine that with some amazing honeysuckle and sandalwood, and there you have it.

C.D. Fahrenheit - never liked that stuff. Resent it to the bitter end, but I could never judge ppl who adore this. If a person has love for a fragrance and makes that person feel good, that's great! my 666th post...lol
    Last edited by Zgb; 22nd March 2010 at 07:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Djamison66 View Post
    I don't get any of the original in the Absolute.
    I find this fascinating, as I personally get very definite echoes of the original in Absolute. Absolute is Fahrenheit with a dollop of skank.

I find this fascinating, as I personally get very definite echoes of the original in Absolute. Absolute is Fahrenheit with a dollop of skank.
    For some strange reason the first few times I tried FA I couldn't get any F at all. Then suddenly around the 4th time I tried it (I didn't want to give up on it that easily) I got most of F inside FA. I think this woody/gourmand/nutty note that is so common in so many of the recent masculine designer scents (FA, Zen for Men, Paul Smith Man etc) was what shocked me and covered up everything else. It makes me feel like a termite.

Quote Originally Posted by cpk View Post
    For some strange reason the first few times I tried FA I couldn't get any F at all. Then suddenly around the 4th time I tried it (I didn't want to give up on it that easily) I got most of F inside FA. I think this woody/gourmand/nutty note that is so common in so many of the recent masculine designer scents (FA, Zen for Men, Paul Smith Man etc) was what shocked me and covered up everything else. It makes me feel like a termite.
    I also do smell the similarities between the two. "echoes " is a good term to use, Dimitri .
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

I went hunting for a sniff of the Absolute today but couldn't find it. I did get sniffing on the reformulated Fahrenheit though, and, well, it's not the great stuff, but the light topnotes seem as pungent and like they stick around a long time. I'm not against the reformulation as a result. It doesn't have the deep rich follow through, and comes off as more honeysuckle, but that's not bad. I still think it's compelling and holds onto its weirdness.

exactly what he said!

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    I went hunting for a sniff of the Absolute today but couldn't find it. I did get sniffing on the reformulated Fahrenheit though, and, well, it's not the great stuff, but the light topnotes seem as pungent and like they stick around a long time. I'm not against the reformulation as a result. It doesn't have the deep rich follow through, and comes off as more honeysuckle, but that's not bad. I still think it's compelling and holds onto its weirdness.
    That sums the reformulation for me. The base isn't as aromatic or vibrant as it was (or as I remember it).

Bottom line: Its uniqueness is preserved, there's still nothing like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    I get no petrol note...
    Same here. Granted, I've only given the original Fahrenheit a couple of wearings so far. What I do get is an immediate blood and rust smell, followed by an overwhelming dose of hawthorn blossoms. We had hawthorn trees in back of our house growing up, and I always found it an odd smell. Fascination/repulsion. So Fahrenheit, while sadly not translating into petrol for me, is definitely intriguing.

...I personally get very definite echoes of the original in Absolute. Absolute is Fahrenheit with a dollop of skank.
    Yeah, I actually "get" the petrol note in the Absolute. This is one fragrance I did a complete 180 on and I fell for it bad. Love the skank. I mean - um - base.
    Anakin: What was that all about?
    Obi-Wan: Well, R2 has been...
    Anakin: No loose wire jokes.
    Obi-Wan: Did I say anything?
    Anakin: He's trying.
    Obi-Wan: I didn't say anything!

-ROTS

I respect Fahrenheit as something unique with its "petrol" note. It has "dirty" opening, like Le Male but in different way than Le Male. Both of them are synonym of masculine modern fragrances to me. I like Fahrenheit but I dont think I am type to wear it well.. Anyway, it is quite popular here in Slovakia.

Quote Originally Posted by dreamer81
    I respect Fahrenheit as something unique with its "petrol" note. It has "dirty" opening, like Le Male but in different way than Le Male. Both of them are synonym of masculine modern fragrances to me.
    Le Male dirty? If only. I'd wear it a lot more if its powdery softness had a touch of raunch to it. Fahrenheit, on the other hand...my first sniff at a department store was not a positive one. "Gah! Old man stink!" I found it incredibly peppery, bitter, and musky. I couldn't fathom why it was a bestseller. This was a while ago, though, and I've been meaning to go back and give it another try since discovering my appreciation for older, stronger, more individualistic fragrances.

^ Yep, to me Le Male has dirty synthetic unpleasant OPENING. To me dirty is something that is far from "natural" & reminds me some industrial smells. I dont get anything fresh from Le Male as some people mention. Of course its bit powdery and sweet later and I actually love it when it settles down a bit but I love vanilla (and not just fragrances but also ice cream, protein drinks, etc ) in general.

/end of offtopic

This post is an accident - apologies!