Code of Conduct

Default Tswetcoff from youtube, I have a bone to pick with you..

Most of you know Twswetcoff from youtube, better known as Tim. While he seems like a nice down to earth guy, his reviews are complete crap.

Anybody can point out the notes of a fragrance.. am I right? Tim LOVES every single thing he reviews. That's not an accurate review IMO. I sometimes wonder (with his fan base and the amount of people hes gotten to buy stuff) if he is secretly being paid by fragrancenet or compensated with colognes, because all of his reviews are basically the same as reviews from sites like frangrancenet and frangrancex. He just loves everything.. anyone else notice this?

Where the hell is the criticism? Why do you review only the mainstream colognes that everybody already knows about? How is it that going to help somebody.

I do watch his channel because it honestly just makes me laugh, and I'm 99.9% sure that I'm not alone on this. I know it takes a lot to speak up, but I call them how I see them. Am I jealous - no, am I puzzled - yes. Does anyone else see eye to eye with me on this?

Tim if you're reading this, I know you go on basenotes.. don't take this in a bad way, use this to your advantage, you have a big fan base so it's up to you to give more critical reviews.

Default Re: Tswetcoff from youtube, I have a bone to pick with you..

Tim gets free bottles from fragrancenet because of his TIM9 code. That's how he has been getting all those Creeds recently. It's not in his best interest to negatively review a fragrance. I know that he hates some bottles he owns. Put simply, Tim only reviews fragrances he likes (with the exception of Bvlgari Aqva Marine).

dont really care whether he gets free bottles or not or whether he is biased....but i prefer his older reviews to his newer ones...the video quality is not as good in the more recent ones...plus i preferred when he did them on his computer desk rather than his bed...i thought his review of JOOP was perfect. lighting, video quality, setting, everything...i think he has for the most part always done more positive reviews then negative ones...umm thats probably cause he only buys bottles he likes im guessing? nothing wrong with that. i think robes08 and JRWRITER are the best ones right now...cuz i liek the variety of stuff they review...not to mention i like those 'haul' videos they do LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Spray View Post
    Tim gets free bottles from fragrancenet because of his TIM9 code. That's how he has been getting all those Creeds recently. It's not in his best interest to negatively review a fragrance. I know that he hates some bottles he owns. Put simply, Tim only reviews fragrances he likes (with the exception of Bvlgari Aqva Marine).
    ^^ Well there you have it, a fraud. He's doing it for himself and not for anyone else, just as I suspected
    Last edited by The_Cologneist; 22nd March 2010 at 02:23 AM.

I'm gonna stay FAR away from this one. I know what happened the last time this topic came up.
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 22nd March 2010 at 02:23 AM.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Blog Entries

Sorry, not every average Joe on YouTube looking for information about fragrances is a Basenoter. It's simple as that. The scents may seem very common to us still aren't too common to the general public. Likely they've heard of them by name, but know nothing about them as a scent. Usually people who have fancied the idea of buying a bottle of cologne, let alone a very particular bottle. He mentioned he's a "broke college kid", so if that's how he acquires some of his fragrances to supplement his limited income from a part-time job, more power to him. He only does this so he'll have more stuff to review. I'm not going to argue with anyone who's willing to write him off, but I did try to see where he's coming from and who he's talking to. *shrug* Different stroke for different folks, I'd say. In this big, big world, there's more regular people who have no clue than those of us who are more knowledgeable.

With that said, I'm going to step far, far away from this topic because people in the past have taken it a bit too far and personal. Just take a few steps back and think about how it was to be completely clueless about fragrances and looking for information, but finding someone like Tim who has this non-snobby or non-pushy approach towards introducing any fragrance to the general audience.
    Last edited by Hollandaze; 22nd March 2010 at 02:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    ^^ Well there you have it, a fraud. He's doing it for himself and not for anyone else, just as I suspected

you gotta be kidding...the overwhelming amount of reviews he does are positive because HE ONLY BUY/GETS STUFF he likes.....is it really that hard to figure out? dont watch the videos if you dont like them...or better yet do some of your own that 'help people out' since you say his dont...his videos got me started on this hobby to be honest and probably many others...hes like one of those older veteran athletes that play professional sports...not at the top of his game anymore but still very good! lol hes like kobe bryant and robes08 and jrwriter are lebron james hehe

Quote Originally Posted by Armor King View Post
    dont really care whether he gets free bottles or not or whether he is biased....but i prefer his older reviews to his newer ones...the video quality is not as good in the more recent ones...plus i preferred when he did them on his computer desk rather than his bed...i thought his review of JOOP was perfect. lighting, video quality, setting, everything...i think he has for the most part always done more positive reviews then negative ones...umm thats probably cause he only buys bottles he likes im guessing? nothing wrong with that. i think robes08 and JRWRITER are the best ones right now...cuz i liek the variety of stuff they review...not to mention i like those 'haul' videos they do LOL
    robes I enjoy very much, his reviews are dead on, you can tell that robes is a true fragrance connoisseur and he loves doing this. JRWRITER I don't care for, he just seems like the common buyer to me.

when i watch a frag review i expect both positive and negative points of the fragance. Not "this stuff is really goood" x10. not helpful.

JRWRITERS reviews would be alot better without the annoying jungle music he plays.

Quote Originally Posted by Rawk Lee View Post
    Sorry, not every average Joe on YouTube looking for information about fragrances is a Basenoter. It's simple as that. The scents may seem very common to us still aren't too common to the general public. Likely they've heard of them by name, but know nothing about them as a scent. Usually people who have fancied the idea of buying a bottle of cologne, let alone a very particular bottle. He mentioned he's a "broke college kid", so if that's how he acquires some of his fragrances to supplement his limited income from a part-time job, more power to him. He only does this so he'll have more stuff to review. I'm not going to argue with anyone who's willing to write him off, but I did try to see where he's coming from and who he's talking to. *shrug* Different stroke for different folks, I'd say. In this big, big world, there's more regular people who have no clue than those of us who are more knowledgeable.

With that said, I'm going to step far, far away from this topic because people in the past have taken it a bit too far and personal.
    I agree to an extent, but don't you find this misleading? I can easily get a friend to purchase something like Corduroy over something so mainstream like Cool Water. Being an "average Joe" who doesn't know fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockabilly View Post
    JRWRITERS reviews would be alot better without the annoying jungle music he plays.
    He's Thierry Mugler here in Basnenotes.

jrwriters music overlaps his voice to me and its just too much to handle at once.

If you make a claim that someone is getting bottles for free, especially expensive ones, you really should have the evidence to present in a public forum like this. I don't know if you can be sued for libel if you are wrong, but it certainly isn't ethical to do it in any case. That said, anyone giving away free bottles to this guy is the greater fool, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    He is not a fraud because he doesn't pretend to like things. Tim is genuinely excited when he reviews a fragrance he loves. I subscribe to him on YouTube, and I know he is biased, but he only recommends nice fragrances. You can tell he is a sweet guy; he truly enjoys helping guys find beautiful fragrances that will get them laid as much as him.

you gotta be kidding...the overwhelming amount of reviews he does are positive because HE ONLY BUY/GETS STUFF he likes.....is it really that hard to figure out? dont watch the videos if you dont like them...or better yet do some of your own that 'help people out' since you say his dont...his videos got me started on this hobby to be honest and probably many others...hes like one of those older veteran athletes that play professional sports...not at the top of his game anymore but still very good! lol hes like kobe bryant and robes08 and jrwriter are lebron james hehe
    You seem quite hostile, everything you just said basically went in one ear and out the other as I found it all to be irrelevant. Your hostility didn't help get your point across. I'm not even going to address anything you said specifically as much as I want to

replying to my post stating its not worth replying to, good one buddy!

I feel like this topic is more about rage than about fragrances. Throw more glitter and less bombs people! <3

[QUOTE=Spray;1784609]He is not a fraud because he doesn't pretend to like things. Tim is genuinely excited when he reviews a fragrance he loves. I subscribe to him on YouTube, and I know he is biased, but he only recommends nice fragrances. You can tell he is a sweet guy; he truly enjoys helping guys find beautiful fragrances that will get them laid as much as him.

Genuinely excited, really? Kind of contradicts yourself, if he's getting the bottle for free.. (then again I'd be excited too if I got a 4.0 oz GIT) wouldn't he just have a contract with the supplier to do the review? As well as feel obligated to his fan base.

I like the thread. Couldnt agree more with the post.

replying to my post stating its not worth replying to, good one buddy!
    Where does it say "not worth replying to"? I just don't see this anywhere.. I do see "not worth addressing your specific response" Please learn how to comprehend before saying stupid things and making yourself look even more foolish.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    If you make a claim that someone is getting bottles for free, especially expensive ones, you really should have the evidence to present in a public forum like this.
    His coupon code is TIM9, and gets you 10% off.

The_Cologneist, I don't know if you were around yet back when this thread was around, but it may be worth a read if you're interested in others' opinions on the topic, and the likely direction this thread is heading. It got pretty heated, people really seem to have strong opinions on this. http://www.basenotes.net/threads/246...light=reviewer
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

I don't know what his coupon code has to do with the claim that he is getting bottles for free. Please explain.

What does a coupon code have to do with getting free stuff?

I don't know what his coupon code has to do with the claim that he is getting bottles for free. Please explain.
    lol

There are thousands of other places you could find negative reviews for the fragrances he is doing if you so desired. No body is forcing you to watch them. He is probably just trying the help guys find scents and venture into the fragrance world, like we all had to do at one time. That's hard to do when you are curb-stomping some fragrance for being disgusting. Not everyone bleeds and cries cologne.

Blog Entries

Well, he's not sneaky about it or hide what it does in this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqqgYHHnfF4 I think it's pretty cool that he has open discussions for his subscribers to participate in and starting a monthly swap offer video to enable his subscribers to swap with each other. There's a little community on YouTube on fragrances that he's putting effort into bringing people together rather than initiating or participating in controversial shitstorms I've seen in other enthusiast communities (I've seen this sort of BS on automotive forums ALL the time). With that said, that has opened the doors for plenty of other reviewers who aren't just Tim and Marc. To his credit, I find that quite admirable of him. In fact, there's plenty of variety to tickle your fancy. You want random and rare designer frags? Then mkousui's your guy. You want a woman's honest and casual take on niche? There's ariscotm (Teresa). Then there's mclmind and NYFragranceBlog (Julio) who'll do a great job covering niche fragrances. If people aren't going to want to make it a positive experience to gather with people, help, and make friends, then that's their prerogative. I'll leave it at that.
    Last edited by Hollandaze; 22nd March 2010 at 03:07 AM.

its pretty simple to comprehend guys, the people who do reviews on youtube cater to the youtube community, not to basenotes. they're not trying to make good impressions to BN members, they just arent and could care less about this place. thats why you hardly ever seem them post here. the people who watch those reviews and the members who post here are 2 completly different crowds. sorry guys but this place isn't the end of all fragrances communities. if they were trying to cater to this place they'd be reviewing $200+ overrated fragrances but they dont...they make the videos for people just looking for regular designer fragrances...cuz lets face it not everyone has hundreds to spend of this stuff...

of course the OP somehow is 'puzzled' by this LOL dude its not that hard to figure out.
    Last edited by Armor King; 22nd March 2010 at 02:55 AM.

"Tswetcoff from youtube, I have a bone to pick with you.."

Well go to the guy's YouTube page and leave your feedback there. You want to give yourself attention here? Go there and leave your thoughts. YouTube has the feature, so go use it.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinok View Post
    There are thousands of other places you could find negative reviews for the fragrances he is doing if you so desired. No body is forcing you to watch them. He is probably just trying the help guys find scents and venture into the fragrance world, like we all had to do at one time. That's hard to do when you are curb-stomping some fragrance for being disgusting. Not everyone bleeds and cries cologne.
    I'm not looking for negative reviews, just honest ones.. from an honest reviewer who is passionate about what he/she is doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinok View Post
    I'm not looking for negative reviews, just honest ones.. from an honest reviewer who is passionate about what he/she is doing.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    "Tswetcoff from youtube, I have a bone to pick with you.."

Well go to the guy's YouTube page and leave your feedback there. You want to give yourself attention here? Go there and leave your thoughts. YouTube has the feature, so go use it.
    Maybe if he actually read his comments, that would help.. Again I call them how I see them, and I truly believe this guy simply doesn't care.

Basenotes Plus

This is not a discussion of fragrance but rather of ethics. At best it is on the wrong board. At worst it borders on trolling and flaming. It is being locked and after further discussion by the moderators may be deleted.