Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: Which of these two would you most like to see advance to the Fragrant Four?

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • Guerlain Vetiver

51 51.00%
  • Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan

49 49.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Blog Entries

Default BMM10: 3/22 Game 57 (Essential Eight Begins! Guerlain Vetiver vs. Ambre Sultan!!!)

Basenotes March Madness 2010

Games 57 & 58
    (Round 4)
    Poll ends March 23.

(1) Guerlain Vetiver vs. (2) Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan

Most recent bracket:

(Click bracket for full size.)

All games in this round are worth 8 points, all threads will have one game only from here on.

Poll will close in 24 hours, vote which fragrance you'd like to see advance to the Fragrant Four. Vote for one fragrance from each group only, voting for both is statistically the same as not voting at all.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

Blog Entries

Default Re: BMM10: 3/22 Games 57 & 58 (Olfactory Eight Begins! Guerlain Vetiver vs. Ambre Sultan!!!)

Here it is, the premiere matchup of the tournament, a 1-seed versus a 2-seed. I suspect this may go to overtime. I voted for Guerlain Vetiver but my heart is in Ambre Sultan.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp

Default Re: BMM10: 3/22 Games 57 & 58 (Olfactory Eight Begins! Guerlain Vetiver vs. Ambre Sultan!!!)

The Zeitgeist Sez...

Predictions:

(4) Dior Homme def. (12) Serge Lutens Chergui
    (1) Thierry Mugler A*Men def. (13) Creed Silver Mountain Water

Standings:
    Maximum Score Possible 97
    The Zeitgeist 55

DocmanCC 69
    zliang 68
    gupts 66
    wicozani 65
    Asha 64
    flannelman 63
    Buddy97 63
    an_oud_girl 63
    surreality 58
    TwoRoads 58
    timaru 56
    the_good_life 54
    mrcologneguy 53
    veuve amiot 51
    robpgmc 50
    Bluesoul 47
    mudassir 47
    telecaster 45
    kbe 44
    Royal 44
    Exquisitely Me 42
    Furriner 42
    JaimeB 40
    rogalal 40
    Roryj 34
    jacona 32
    The Zeitgeist has spoken.

Gonna be a tight match. I know that I would rather wear Guerlain Vetiver for a month straight rather than Ambre Sultan for the same duty, but the GV champ might be hindered because the cheering section won't be there for it as much since, well, it's the champ and we kind of take its wins for granted. Truth is that I would sure pick it for wearings in ways I wouldn't pick AS.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Ambre Sultan is a lot more interesting than Guerlain Vetiver.

That bracket looks amazing so far!

Quote Originally Posted by Spray View Post
    Ambre Sultan is a lot more interesting than Guerlain Vetiver.
    There you have it folks, vote in agreement with me or in agreement with Spray. (Hehehe.)

In a way, this could have been the final game...1 and 2 seeds against each other, and all.

I find Vetiver to be more wearable for me (and therefore worthy of my vote), and I hope a lot of others do too!
    Last edited by Asha; 22nd March 2010 at 04:44 AM.

Guerlain Vetiver is nowhere near the best vetiver out there, while Ambre Sultan is one of the better ambers, so I'm going to have to go with the Sultan.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Interesting, SoS. I tried a wide range of vetiver fragrances (including Route du Vetiver, Vetiver Extraordinare, Encre Noire, etc.), and I found Guerlain Vetiver to be the best for overall longevity, interesting development and classic style. Not to say the others are not good, but rather than nothing out there really even is in this same category for a lighter vetiver fragrance. I agree with Luca Turin--GV is a "reference vetiver" fragrance.

I'm with DustB. I wore Guerlain Vetiver for probably 10+ days straight after I got a bottle. My Ambre Sultan sample, on the other hand, never gets consecutive wearings.

I'm #1 for a round. Yay! Rive Gauche's early loss and Egoiste and Jaipur's wins have trashed the upper part of my brackets, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    Interesting, SoS. I tried a wide range of vetiver fragrances (including Route du Vetiver, Vetiver Extraordinare, Encre Noire, etc.), and I found Guerlain Vetiver to be the best for overall longevity, interesting development and classic style. Not to say the others are not good, but rather than nothing out there really even is in this same category for a lighter vetiver fragrance. I agree with Luca Turin--GV is a "reference vetiver" fragrance.
    Have you tried Vetiver de Puig?

with 44 votes 22 - 22 this is a tight match as it is a tight decision.

Although Guerlain Vetiver is more wearable and suitable for different occasion and better fit for frequent rotation, Ambre Sultan is the scent I would wear around a lady.

Also there are IMO more beautiful vetivers over GV than there are Ambers over AS.

The Sultan has my vote for tickling my senses.
    Last edited by persianpoppa; 22nd March 2010 at 11:28 AM. Reason: typo
    A king is not put in a palace before it is adorned. A heart's treasure is unlocked only when that heart is purified.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

I've a sample of Ambre Sultan and a bottle each of Guerlain Vetiver circa 1980s and Guerlain Vetiver circa 2005. That sample will outlast those bottles in my collection. Hrumph..
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

I just made it 50-50. My vote went to the Sultan, of course.

I voted for Vetiver. Partly out of spite for AS beating Antaeus earlier and mostly because Vetiver is the better frag imo.
    I offer you perfume,
    More for its pleasure than for yours;
    You perfume perfume.

--Anonymous Ancient Greek Love Lyric

I agree with DustB that Vetiver would be much more suitable for consecutive wearing. However, I like Ambre Sultan much better and hardly remember the last time I wore anything consecutively! :P
    Ambre Sultan from me! Rah Rah Rah!!
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Oh no.........Guerlain Vetiver is trailing 26 to 29.......and that too to Ambre Sultan.......What has the world fallen down to?

Oh no, worse still. This is another one when the score gets worse when you take your eyes off the screen.

The current formulation of Vetiver is one of the dullest vetivers around. AS is far more interesting.
    Rare, vintage, and niche off-site sales.
    Splits: O'driu, La Via del Profumo/AbdesSalaam Attar, Nasomatto, Chanel Les Exclusifs, Profumi del Forte, Mona di Orio, Kurkdjian, Slumberhouse.
    New atomizer and decanting supplies for sale.
    For me a work of fiction exists only insofar as it affords me what I shall bluntly call aesthetic bliss, that is a sense of being somehow, somewhere, connected with other states of being where art (curiosity, tenderness, kindness, ecstasy) is the norm. - Vladimir Nabokov

I voted for GV. I find it incredibly boring. But I could not vote for AS because this scent for me is sadness in a bottle. Which means that it it is a real piece of artwork. Which is something I appreciate in a fragrance. Am I going crazy?
    To rationalize this a bit GV is TO ME tha equivalent of an Anne Geddes picture while AS is the equivalent of a Hieronymus Bosch painting.

Wouldn't that be a reason to vote for Ambre Sultan?

Surely I'd vote for a frag I found to be highly artistic over one I found boring but wearable.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Ambre Sultan is beautiful, but I can't in my heart of hearts go for it over GV, which even in its current formulation remains a classic and justifiably great fragrance.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Wouldn't that be a reason to vote for Ambre Sultan?

Surely I'd vote for a frag I found to be highly artistic over one I found boring but wearable.
    I see your point but the emotional impact of AS is just overwhelming to me. Maybe I am in "I want to feel good" state of mind these days :-)
    For reference

Wow!

That really is an intense reaction! I suppose I see your point now!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Truth be told, amber-centric scents are usually to me the ugly dog in armour in the bottom right corner of the picture. Lutens/Sheldrake have managed to reproduce the entire painting. :-)
    Ambre Precieux is the only amber-centric fragrance (is it really?) I enjoy.
    Last edited by cpk; 22nd March 2010 at 10:10 PM.

I went with Vetiver. I like Ambre Sultan though.

had to vote on Ambre Sultan
    I get a very strong "infamous" hay note in GV that I can't stand
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

The current formulations of both fragrances are dull. However, Vetiver is less dull and is still one of the better vetiver fragrances of its type. So it gets my vote.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Guerlain Vetiver is nowhere near the best vetiver out there, while Ambre Sultan is one of the better ambers, so I'm going to have to go with the Sultan.
    Great point SoS I'm voting Ambre Sultan. I quite enjoy wearing it, actually. Also, I just cannot stand vetiver dominated scents !
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

SOTE: Ambre Sultan on my right wrist, Vetiver on my left. I stand by my vote. Go Vetiver!

V-E-T-I-V-E-R

Go-o-o-o-o Vetiver!

The Ambre Sultan fans only have about twenty minutes to stage a comeback.

Where are you party animals?

We need you.

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Blog Entries

45-43 with five minutes left. Can Ambre Sultan stage a last-minute comeback?
    Twitter - @DanielTharp

Please oh please let AS come back!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Blog Entries

Didn't budge, but it was a close one after all.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp

Default Re: BMM10: 3/22 Game 57 (Essential Eight Begins! Guerlain Vetiver vs. Ambre Sultan!!!)

Yes, I too totally agree with the above statements that G~Vetiver is a great vetiver, and certainly the more "wearable" of the two. Especially if one is looking for an "everyday" vetiver. (Being much more of a "day" scent for me.) ...
    And A~Sultan is the more interesting and captivating, in terms of "richness", power, longevity (lasts 3 days on me easy, and longer even on my clothes), beauty and shear artistry in amber. (Better suited to "night" (seduction !? ), for me. ...

THOUGH, still, it's definitely not my "fave vetiver", ... or my "fave amber", for that matter. Having others that I much prefer, hands down, if I really had to choose. (Lubin Vetiver & Ambre 114 , just to name two others which (IMHO, of course) are far superior ! ( And which unfortunately aren't even in the running !? )

But, besides that ... The point I was trying to make : ... It really all depends on, are we really supposed to be voting on "convenience" and "wearabilty" ? ... Or rather excellence and mastery of composition ? ~ One's shear intoxicating power ??? (Or "Swoonworthiness", as I like to call it )

I too definitely also wear G~Vetiver much more often. ... BUT that in itself already makes "the lessor worn one" often all the more special when I do. Chosen rather for special occasions, sort o'thing. ... AND I'm just a damn sucker for smouldering "AMBER" ambers anyway. ... Sooooo ... ?????

AAAAARRRRGGGHH ... HOW DO I GET OFF THIS DAMNED FENCE ???

Maybe I will just have to go the strategy route instead ??? Before my damned head blows off ??? (And I'm not even on the last leg yet (LOL))

Talking of which : ...
    Just by the way, ... I really think it's gonna be a ... CHERGUI >>>/\<<< L'AIR DDM ... massacre for top title ! ~ (YAY !)

AND I must say, I'd actually be glad with either one !!! (BUT to choose between those two, for me, will be IMPOSSIBLE !!!)

Default Re: BMM10: 3/22 Game 57 (Essential Eight Begins! Guerlain Vetiver vs. Ambre Sultan!!!)

I'm shocked that the safe fragrance defeated the risky one.

Quote Originally Posted by Sybarite View Post
    Are we really supposed to be voting on "convenience" and "wearabilty" ? ... Or rather excellence and mastery of composition ?
    March Madness is about mastery.

March Madness is about mastery.
    Yes, that is what I would have thought, (and how I've been voting). .... But it seems "the workhorse" won out over "mastery" this time round !

Quote Originally Posted by Spray View Post
    I'm shocked that the safe fragrance defeated the risky one.
    It sure is ironic given that the #1 criticism leveled against frags here on BN - designer and niche - is that they are too safe!
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 23rd March 2010 at 04:02 AM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Whew!

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    Whew!
    +1!
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...