Code of Conduct

Default Givenchy Gentleman Vintage??

Hello! Please could anyone tell me if this bottle I've just purchased is the original formulation of Givenchy Gentleman as opposed to the more recent reformulation?

It certainly looks older than the current bottles and is in a 30ml size which I've never see before. I wore it for the first time on Friday and it smells fantastic!

Dependent

Default Re: Givenchy Gentleman Vintage??

If I'm not wrong, that is the vintage you got there. I've seen the Givenchy III and vintage MdG in similar vaporisateur bottles.
    Last edited by MFJ; 22nd March 2010 at 09:11 AM.

Yep, I agree with matthew - looks like the real (old) deal. My dad had a bottle of this years ago and it was in exactly the same bottle, also 30ml.

Thanks matthewfoo & great_badir! Looks like I managed to get hold of the one I wanted - I'd sampled the 'new' Givenchy Gentleman a couple of weeks ago and although I liked it a lot there was too much talk of the original formulation being better - indeed some said it was a different beast altogether! I managed to snap this up on Ebay - it popped up as if by magic just when I had resigned myself to buying a new bottle - I hoped it was the old formulation but wasn't 100% sure. Thanks for the confirmations!
    Last edited by Derbyman; 22nd March 2010 at 03:13 PM.

Yes, it's vintage. I have one of those 1 oz. bottles, so I can speak from experience.

I had one or two of those bottles back in the 80's.
    Last edited by tott; 22nd March 2010 at 04:30 PM.

My grandfather has that and it is from the late 70's or early 80's and yes , it does smell terriffic

Derbyman, It is vintage, I've got the same bottle in my wardrobe. I agree with you, it smells awesome compared to the current version.

Thumbs up Re: Givenchy Gentleman Vintage??

Quote Originally Posted by Derbyman View Post
    Hello! Please could anyone tell me if this bottle I've just purchased is the original formulation of Givenchy Gentleman as opposed to the more recent reformulation?

It certainly looks older than the current bottles and is in a 30ml size which I've never see before. I wore it for the first time on Friday and it smells fantastic!

Yes !!! there was a spray like that and also a 30 ml splash and the patchouli note was dominat
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

the one and only
    ^_^
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Haven't seen this one before but I have been wearing the current formulation since last November, and while quite attenuated it still works great.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Haven't seen this one before but I have been wearing the current formulation since last November, and while quite attenuated it still works great.
    I agree with Double-zed here. I've still got the vintage juice myself, but I don't think the currently sold version is anything to fear or punish yourself over.

Great find all the same, Derbyman! You're sure to wear it and be very happy.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Hillaire

I believe the key thing in GG vintages to look out for is a label that wraps all the way around the bottle. Therefore, yours would be vintage.
    Congrats, my favorite vintage men's scent there.

NEW

OLD
    Last edited by Hillaire; 23rd March 2010 at 12:44 AM.

Thanks for all the replies!

Great tip re. the labels Hillaire, thank-you!

It looks like I found the vintage version then! I wouldn't have been too upset if it had been a recent formulation as I've sampled that one briefly and it's great - just lighter in general with less patchouli.

I'm a definite Givenchy Gentleman convert! It's a brilliant fragrance and unique! If only some of the current releases were as inventive and daring as GG!

Derbyman - mind divulging how much you got it for? Just out of curiosity to see what the UK market is for vintage 'fumes other than Aramis Havana at the mo.

It was on Ebay, a 'Buy it Now' for Ģ8.00 (+Ģ1.80 P+P) - I just dived right in at that price!!

It was on Ebay, a 'Buy it Now' for Ģ8.00 (+Ģ1.80 P+P) - I just dived right in at that price!!
    Pretty good. Actually, scratch that - VERY good. I don't think UK 'Bayers have quite got to the vintage frags bandwagon yet, except for Havana it seems. I've seen lots of stuff go for not much. Presumably they're still on the vintage shaving implements and soaps at the mo - frags next!

someone can tell me whatīs the difference ? itīs the vintage version more powefull ?? i get the new version and the sillage, projection and last are trully amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by blackened View Post
    someone can tell me whatīs the difference ? itīs the vintage version more powefull ?? i get the new version and the sillage, projection and last are trully amazing!
    Pretty much all frags have been reformulated over the last 7-10 years, mainly due to certain, usually natural, ingredients being limited due to their scarcity, or certain chemicals being banned for cosmetic use (nitro musks, for example). More often than not the natural ingredients are replaced with synthetics and the chemicals replaced with others that are different in composition and, that being the case, the end result is significantly different from an older and more natural version. Some houses, such as Aramis, do spectacularly well and spend a lot of time making sure that their reformulated replacements smell the same as their original counterparts. Others are less bothered so you often get stuff (like Givenchy Gentelman, and another good one is Dior Eau Sauvage) that still smells great, but is completely different compared to what it used to be.
    Last edited by great_badir; 23rd March 2010 at 12:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by great_badir View Post
    Pretty much all frags have been reformulated over the last 7-10 years, mainly due to certain, usually natural, ingredients being limited due to their scarcity, or certain chemicals being banned for cosmetic use (nitro musks, for example). More often than not the natural ingredients are replaced with synthetics and the chemicals replaced with others that are different in composition and, that being the case, the end result is significantly different from an older and more natural version. Some houses, such as Aramis, do spectacularly well and spend a lot of time making sure that their reformulated replacements smell the same as their original counterparts. Others are less bothered so you often get stuff (like Givenchy Gentelman, and another good one is Dior Eau Sauvage) that still smells great, but is completely different compared to what it used to be.
    So.... the vintage one of gentleman its a more natural result than the reformulated one?

The new Givenchy Gentleman is still a superb fragrance and superficially smells very similar to the original from my limited sampling of the current version. The new version smells 'smoother' and more refined in the top notes and the drydown seems to have less patchouli (which is very powerful in the original). I would think the new version would be a better all round fragrance which could be worn day or night in all weathers being slightly lighter and less earthy than the old. It was sampling the new version which made me look into GG in the first place and I'd have been quite disappointed if the version I bought had been too different from the sample!

It is a truly amazing and unique fragrance - I'm betting I won't smell it on many other people too!

thanks derby and great_badir, I see too the modern version a classic versatile

I think sometimes reformulations are also used as an excuse for houses to make their "classics" appeal more to current tastes - using Eau Sauvage as an example again, because I can draw from current, mid to late 90s and 70s-80 versions, the original was really heavy on the citrus in the opening, almost like a trad EDC along the lines of 4711 or Farina and then drying down to a very rich base, the 90s one to me seemed to be fresher and more of an all round light citrus, whilst the current formulation has brought back the rich base but with less of the big citrus. No doubt Dior themselves would just say this is purely down to the difference in available/allowable ingredients and should not have that much of an affect on the frag itself, but lots of us know it does make a difference.

But, in this instance, the differences don't really matter because so far Eau Sauvage has been great whichever version it is, whereas others like Brut, Yardley Gold and, apparently, all of the Caron feminine frags have gone the other way and become disappointing shadows of their former selves.

The vintage version also has a very prominent burning tobacco note. It's a much skankier and more interesting beast. Although I have to admit that I wear the newer version much more often, the vintage is a wonderful time travel frag.

The new Givenchy Gentleman is still a superb fragrance and superficially smells very similar to the original from my limited sampling of the current version. The new version smells 'smoother' and more refined in the top notes and the drydown seems to have less patchouli (which is very powerful in the original). I would think the new version would be a better all round fragrance which could be worn day or night in all weathers being slightly lighter and less earthy than the old. It was sampling the new version which made me look into GG in the first place and I'd have been quite disappointed if the version I bought had been too different from the sample!

It is a truly amazing and unique fragrance - I'm betting I won't smell it on many other people too!
    I'm glad to hear there's another fan of the new version out there. The old stuff is stronger, but the new version is also great. I love and wear both versions of Gentleman.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillaire View Post
    I believe the key thing in GG vintages to look out for is a label that wraps all the way around the bottle. Therefore, yours would be vintage.
    Congrats, my favorite vintage men's scent there.

NEW

OLD
    Quote Originally Posted by ROBERTO View Post
    Yes !!! there was a spray like that and also a 30 ml splash and the patchouli note was dominat

Hello, everyone. I like Derbyman, am interested in buying a vintage bottle of Givenchy Gentleman.

I think I have found one, but the label confuses me. The label is similar to the "old" picture in Hillaire's post - Givenchy Gentleman at the top, Paris right under that, and then Eau de Toilette at the very bottom. The bottle is similar to the one in Derbyman's initial post. I am pretty sure this is the vintage juice. Is this an intermediary bottle between the original and the squatter, more flask-like flacon or is this an imposter altogether?

Thanks, in advance, for your help in this matter. I greatly appreciate it!