Code of Conduct

Default Building a sampler set for girlfriend's birthday

Hi folks,

Could anyone help with perfume suggestions for my girlfriends upcoming birthday?

My idea is to get a series of samplers (~5-8?), and then buy a bottle of whichever she likes best. In case this sounds terribly stingy, i should point out this is only part of the present!!

Like myself she is new to perfume, so it would be sensible to cover a wide-range of styles. Notwithstanding this, the emphasis should be on "classic" fragrances - neither of us are keen of celebrity/fashion perfumes....unless, i suppose, they're great!!! I've seen various sample sets available, but i'd prefer to try and build a more unique/targeted selection. I wouldn't be adverse to trying some "wild/out there" scents....

I've previously bought her Mitsouko and Shalimar, and have come up with the following options. I'm slightly worried about creating a 100% Guerlain collection!

My ideas are:

• L'Heure Bleue
    • Jicky
    • Cuir de Russie (Chanel)
    • Bois de Iles (Chanel)
    • No. 19

What sort of volume would be required to get an accurate impression?

Any advice VERY VERY welcome!!!

Thanks in advance,

Crawf

Blog Entries

Default Re: Building a sampler set for girlfriend's birthday

I like your suggestions so far. You could start with samples from the Perfumed Court, or LuckyScent for instance. A 2ml sample should be plenty. You might like to try some Serge Lutens or Parfumerie Generale. There are some great descriptions to check out on those sites.

Also, check out Caron on TPC (Perfumed Court) maybe Tabac Blond.
    Last edited by kumquat; 22nd March 2010 at 03:49 PM.

Other candidates i've spotted are:
    • 24, Faubourg (Hermes)
    • Après L'ondée (Guerlain)
    • Bal à Versailles (Jean Desprez)
    • Arpege (Lanvin)
    • Hypnotic Poison (Dior)
    • Lyric Woman (Amouage)

31 Rue Cambon -some consider it the best Chanel in decades.

Blog Entries

I'm not sure where you're located, but if many of these high-end fragrances are available to test at a nearby store or boutique, I'd go a different route and choose niche samples that are otherwise very hard to find. I would love to receive a manufacturer's sample set from a fragrance house like Amouage or Ormonde Jayne. Aedes will make the Amouage set into a lovely gift presentation with even their standard shipping cost (no need to pay extra for gift wrap), plus they will include an additional 7 samples of your choice of any fragrance available in their inventory (some, like the Serge Lutens, are carded samples; others are handmade). The Ormonde Jayne, well, it's just to die for, imo.

http://www.aedes.com/product.php?product_id=2280
    http://www.ormondejayne.com/uk/disco...me-samples.php
    Last edited by Heartwood; 22nd March 2010 at 08:04 PM.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Basenotes Plus

Wide range of style, eh? I'm not sure if that might confuse her even more. A little more info might help narrow the scope to a manageable 8. After all you're after a more "targeted selection".

What are her thoughts on Shalimar (oriental) and Mitsouko (chypre)?
    Dominant personality/self-image? (e.g. outdoorsy? artsy? fashion-forward? classy? center-of-attraction? etc.)
    Any preferences? ( favorite notes? subtle vs potent sillage, floral vs fruity, etc )
    Any strong dislikes?

Of the ones already listed, I'd second Tabac Blond, 24 Faubourg, Hypnotic Poison and of course the Chanels (19, CdR, BdI).

If she loves orientals I'd probably add SL Daim Blond, SL Rousse, HdP 1876 & HdP Tubereuse 1-Capriceuse.

Or perhaps something a little dramatic like By Kilian's Back to Black or JHAG's Citizen Queen?

Quote Originally Posted by Crawf View Post
    ... cover a wide-range of styles. Notwithstanding this, the emphasis should be on "classic" fragrances - neither of us are keen of celebrity/fashion perfumes....unless, i suppose, they're great!!!
    Etat Libre D'Orange Jasmin Et Cigarette
    Gucci Rush (not "2") ;-)
    Kenzo Flower
    Balmain Jolie Madame (vintage)
    Carven Ma Griffe (vintage)
    Piguet Fracas
    Knize Ten

All those have a certain peculiar identity to complement Mitsouko and Shalimar. Of course You could add some Dior or Chanel, but these are found everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Wide range of style, eh? I'm not sure if that might confuse her even more. A little more info might help narrow the scope to a manageable 8. After all you're after a more "targeted selection".

What are her thoughts on Shalimar (oriental) and Mitsouko (chypre)?
    Dominant personality/self-image? (e.g. outdoorsy? artsy? fashion-forward? classy? center-of-attraction? etc.)
    Any preferences? ( favorite notes? subtle vs potent sillage, floral vs fruity, etc )
    Any strong dislikes?

Of the ones already listed, I'd second Tabac Blond, 24 Faubourg, Hypnotic Poison and of course the Chanels (19, CdR, BdI).

If she loves orientals I'd probably add SL Daim Blond, SL Rousse, HdP 1876 & HdP Tubereuse 1-Capriceuse.

Or perhaps something a little dramatic like By Kilian's Back to Black or JHAG's Citizen Queen?
    In an attempt to answer these:

1. I'll check Shalimar vs Mitsouko. I think Mitsouko.
    2. Artsy, Classy, Eccentric.
    3. Fruity.
    4. No discovered so far!

In an attempt to answer these:

1. I'll check Shalimar vs Mitsouko. I think Mitsouko.
    2. Artsy, Classy, Eccentric.
    3. Fruity.
    4. No discovered so far!
    Look at this press kit. On the last page some questions regarding fragrance are answered. Would the beloved regarding (2) dare to play with expectations, rules of conduct?

http://www.basenotes.net/attachment....6&d=1264710160

Blog Entries

Other thoughts:

Acqua di Parma Profumo (chypre)
    Montale Black Aoud (oud and rose)
    Robert Piguet Bandit (leather)
    Donna Karan Black Cashmere (spices, woods and incense)
    Gucci Envy (beautiful fruity floral, a benchmark of this genre)
    Serge Lutens A la Nuit (lovely white floral)

I also agree with 31 Rue Cambon.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

What a thoughtful gift! And so many great perfumes to try! All I will add is because of her previous choices, don't go cheap!

reine

Oh, I'd love to have boyfriend who'd come up with that kind of ideas!!! Congrats!
    I think those kind of sample-gift-sets are a great idea..but I think it'll be impossible to cover everything with just one set...there's soooo much out there! From great classics to niche..including some good designer perfumes. Maybe I'd focus on some of the one that are more spring-ish right now...Jicky is great, no 19 is perfect..You've got some great advice already.
    Oh, and hey!Parfums MDCI has a terrrrrrrrriiffic sample-set (10ml samples!!!) of all their perfumes for about 80 euros, that's a great present for itself...10 ml of each is actually a decant..
    For great presentation, the OJ sample-kit, as said above..
    Oh..and one more thing..why don't you think of the sample-kit as a present on it's own...not just as a "prelude" to a FB? It's a great idea to build up your own (well, her own) "perfume-library" (in samples)just for the sake of it..to later compare, come back, smell again.....

Evening folks,

Apologies for resurrecting such an old thread, especially as i was the person who originally started it! I also apologise for the fact that i haven't been as busy posting away as i had hoped. Two instances of bad forum etiquette......

Anyway, despite this poor form i find myself once again hoping for a little advice.

On the basis of the recommendations in this thread i have identified the following set of 5ml spray samples on TPC:

Guerlain Jicky EDT $14.99

Guerlain L'Heure Bleue EDP $10.00

Chanel Cuir de Russie EDT $15.00

Hermes 24, Faubourg EDP $10.00

Caron Tabac Blond EDT $20.00

Chanel Les Exclusifs 31 Rue Cambon $15.00

Donna Karan Black Cashmere $10.00

Chanel Bois des Iles EDT $15

Does this seem like a reasonable selection for range?

This approach is considerably more expensive that getting either the Amouage or Ormonde Jayne sets, but it somehow seems more imaginative that simply buying a prepared set......

Can i console myself that Chanel, Guerlain really are the "big boys" and that anyone seriously interested in learning perfume really ought to start with them?!

It would be wonderful if anyone has any suggestions or comments........

Cheers

Crawf

A wonderful selection of classics, the perfect way to go.

I haven't tried the Donna Karan or the Tabac Blond. There are many negative impressions about the latest version of the Tabac Blond EDT, many believe that it's just a pitiful ghost of its former self (some believe the parfum version has retained a lot of its former glory - but of course perfume is out of question for sampling). In doubt, and if you want to keep a classic leather in your set, you can substitute it with Bandit by Piguet (with the caveat that it's a wonderful, but superbutch dark leather).

cacio

Hi folks,

Could anyone help with perfume suggestions for my girlfriends upcoming birthday?

My idea is to get a series of samplers (~5-8?), and then buy a bottle of whichever she likes best. In case this sounds terribly stingy, i should point out this is only part of the present!!

Crawf
    I just wanted to say this is certainly not stingy! Saying "I want to buy you perfume, something expensive you might not buy for yourself, I just want to get you one you will love, try these to start", more or less, is a very nice gift.

Great list of samples there! I would only make one comment. You have said she likes "fruity", and you have two leathers on your list. You might consider dropping the Caron, and adding something like Robert Piguet Visa. It's a modern remake that is not really like the classic, but at least it fits the theme, and would give her a fruit forward option.

She is going to love this gift!! Have fun!

I think this is a wonderful idea, and I would be thrilled at both the thought and the time that went into it. She should be very pleased! I think you have some terrific options in there, and they're definitely classics. Just make sure that when you place the order you pay attention to whether you're getting current or vintage. Some are quite different, and she could fall in love with a vintage and be disappointed by the current version. Personally I've been sticking to trying the current for now, since if I adore it, I want to be able to find it. Later I'll torture myself with smelling them all in vintage and damning the IFRA.

Good job on an imaginative present. I know I'm always most impressed by the thought and work that goes into it, and I think you've excelled at that here!!

Basenotes Plus

Excellent list and an excellent gift, she should like it alot!!
    Let us share each precious moment and enjoy the ones we love for each day is a new beginning and a blessing from above.

Shiseido/Serge Lutens Feminite du Bois!
    Serge Lutens Bois Oriental
    Chanel Cuir de Russie
    Frederic Malle Lipstick Rose
    Annick Goutal Heure Exquise (a gourgeous, legendary rose/jasmine/iris combo)
    Coney Island is my dreamland!!