Code of Conduct

Default Antaeus - the familiar smell that haunted me for 13 years

Sometime just before or just after my 18th birthday in 1997, I received my first half decent work pay from a part time job I had whilst in college. Most of the money went towards my first car, but I kept some aside to buy a new frag to add to a collection that, at that time, comprised of Boss Bottled, Faberge Brut, Aramis and Dior Eau Sauvage. At that time we didn't have any decent boutiques or ultra high-end department stores in the area, so it was always down to the local Boots - a UK Walgreens, I guess. Among many I tried that day, Chanel Antaeus was the one that stood out most and one that I shall remember smelling for the first time to this day. But for the wrong reasons.

Before I continue, I'll quickly interject - my experience and knowledge of Chanel is limited to literally two frags - vintage No. 5 (okay, but didn't see what the fuss was all about) and Antaeus, which I don't like. But this is not a thread that attacks Chanel as a house - whilst I'm quite happy to liberally throw general abuse and negative comments around for Guerlain and Trumper (the two houses that I've smelt most offerings available for the last 15 or so years - when I started shaving - as well as many long dead vintage frags) as houses, I cannot do the same for Chanel. Anyway, back at the farm...

When I sprayed that Antaeus I absolutely loved the immediate opening of fresh flowers, and still do. But that love quickly diminishes to "yurgh" and, when I first got to that part of the dry down in 1997, I couldn't help but think it REALLY reminded me of an unpleasant smell from my childhood. Damned if I could think what it was, though. It's now 13 years later and, every time I've smelt it since, I've had that same frustrating recall without being able to place what I'm smelling. This afternoon I had the answer. For work today I had to visit a sewage treatment works and, following a meeting, had a tour of the site. We got to the end where the treated effluent leaves the works and goes into a stream which then heads out to sea nearby, the salt in which basically quickly and effortlessly kills off the treatment chemicals left in the (admittedly by then high quality) effluent water. And that's the smell of Antaeus - post sewage treatment effluent water. The childhood memory I recalled was from a small stream over the road from where we used to live and into that stream poured treated effluent from a plastics factory (presumably they used similar chemicals to treat the water they were sending away) and on warm days when the wind was in the right direction and the flow of the stream was at quite a sedate pace, that smell was unmistakable. If I close my eyes I can smell it now - a weird sweet, almost rotting aroma that didn't smell like anything else.

And, just to be absolutely sure, I stopped in a Boots on the way home and, sure enough, that is indeed the smell. I still don't like it, but at least it's a mystery solved after such a long time.

Oh and, if you're wondering, the frag that I decided to buy with my pay? Hugo, to partner up with my Boss. Awwww.

Default Re: Antaeus - the familiar smell that haunted me for 13 years

Thanks for the interesting story.
    I hope to someday work near a stream where people pour treated effluent from a plastics factory, because it sounds delightful!

Quote Originally Posted by scentaddiction View Post
    Thanks for the interesting story.
    I hope to someday work near a stream where people pour treated effluent from a plastics factory, because it sounds delightful!
    In hindsight it was nowhere near as bad as it sounds now in terms of smell - it wasn't very often that you could smell it, and the weather had to be just so. These days, of course, a plastics factory probably wouldn't be able to eject water into a stream - it would have to be taken as a return to the sewer instead, or maybe even collected and removed in vats if it contained run-off from glues and such - and the factory was shut down 6 or 7 years ago due to various health & safety issues, but back then it was what everyone had been used to for years, much like people today who live in areas where traditional muck spreading is a common practice, the difference being that the man-made synthetic smell of plastics factory effluent was nowhere near as bad as animal shit!

Thnx for the interesting story!
    I have a similiar experience like yours. Last year I smelt a bunch of niche fragrances from the line Carrament Belle and the one that really shook a nerve was a fragrance called Iode. I instantly got teary-eyed because it was literally the smell of my childhood -- I just didn't know at what time and where. I bought it on the spot, and to this day can't wear because it's extremely nostalgic; I just smell it from time to time. I recently, however, found where the smell was from. From the moment I was born until I turned 13, we lived in my grandfather's house. We always swam in the outdoor pool with my cousins. It was a very pleasant time in my life. I remember jumping into the pool in the hot and humid July weather with the smell of algea growing on the tiles and the faint whiffs of the my grandfather's garden. Well, Iode captures that smell exactly. It's a very odd, ozonic aquatic that I treasure very deeply. Plus, it's the only aquatic that has captured my heart.

And, I have just reminded myself whilst on the 'Bay, it also is reminiscent of Molton Brown Neroli hand and body lotion after it's turned. But post-treatment effluent is closer.

Quote Originally Posted by scent View Post
    Thnx for the interesting story!
    I have a similiar experience like yours. Last year I smelt a bunch of niche fragrances from the line Carrament Belle and the one that really shook a nerve was a fragrance called Iode. I instantly got teary-eyed because it was literally the smell of my childhood -- I just didn't know at what time and where. I bought it on the spot, and to this day can't wear because it's extremely nostalgic; I just smell it from time to time. I recently, however, found where the smell was from. From the moment I was born until I turned 13, we lived in my grandfather's house. We always swam in the outdoor pool with my cousins. It was a very pleasant time in my life. I remember jumping into the pool in the hot and humid July weather with the smell of algea growing on the tiles and the faint whiffs of the my grandfather's garden. Well, Iode captures that smell exactly. It's a very odd, ozonic aquatic that I treasure very deeply. Plus, it's the only aquatic that has captured my heart.
    Up to this afternoon, I never had it happen to me with a frag before. It was a very weird feeling, to be sure. Though, your memories of your granddad's swimming pool is probably a much more pleasant one than living near a plastics factory!

sometimes a fragance can take us back to pleasant memories..others not so much..

for me : Paris Hilton perfume smells like rotting frijoles ( beans ) !!!!!!

This is really interesting story. What I can only say is I am glad I smelled Antaeus first and then sewage.

It's fantastic that childhood memories influence our tastes.

Quote Originally Posted by cpk View Post
    This is really interesting story. What I can only say is I am glad I smelled Antaeus first and then sewage.
    But that's the thing - it wasn't sewage. It was what it was after it was sewage. It's a very unique and distinct smell.

I once came across a poor homeless fellow asleep in a subway car who smelled exactly like the opening of Antaeus (note that I'm an Antaeus fan). You could smell it 10 feet away, his side of the subway car was empty, and everyone had cleared to the other side. It was so similar I had to go in for a closer sniff.

I have noticed something funky in Antaeus as well. I can't really describe it, but it is an 'organic' smell, and it generates a negative chill psychologically. I believe that Egoiste has something similar. I can appreciate both of these on a certain level, except for that one annoying note.

Quote Originally Posted by grm215 View Post
    I once came across a poor homeless fellow asleep in a subway car who smelled exactly like the opening of Antaeus (note that I'm an Antaeus fan). You could smell it 10 feet away, his side of the subway car was empty, and everyone had cleared to the other side. It was so similar I had to go in for a closer sniff.
    Now isn't that strange - for me the opening is the most pleasant and acceptable part of the whole fragrance.

So, presumably, you started paying frequent visits to the guy to scrape off epidermis and collect vials of sweat?

Imagine having the same natural fug as a frag...

This is indeed a very strange thread!!!! I think this could run and run - what is the oddest smell which reminds you of a particular fragrance??

This reminds me of a debate I once had about Root Beer and Germolene antiseptic cream....

Quote Originally Posted by Derbyman View Post
    This reminds me of a debate I once had about Root Beer and Germolene antiseptic cream....
    (Without wanting to hijack my own thread) Or, indeed, generic supermarket dandelion & burdock and Germolene!

So far, my strangest perception I ever had about Antaeus (but this can be said about almost any frag) that, without being feminine at all, in fact quite Alpha male-powerhouse, it still has an unlikely unisex potential- something about the leathery, honey-like, beeswax note has a certain warmth which may be suitable for wearers of both genders