Code of Conduct

Default When do you experience the hit

..... of that really really good sh*t?

What I mean is, we all know the difference that oakmoss makes in pre-IFRA fragrances. Its undeniable presence is like a shadow looming. But when is it in the development of the fragrance do your realize how different the vintage Miss Dior (for instance) that you applied is from anything being produced today?

There are some fragrances where it's in the drydown that you get the full moss-load and not a moment before. There are others where the mossy one peers around the corner just about the middle of the heartnote. And then sometimes you spray or dab and it's instantaneous. Not that it has ever or will ever be a "top note" as defined in those fragrances. It's just that you can sense the difference even as the mist settles on your skin, like someone stepped up suddenly and looked you hard in the eyes, then stepped back into a doorway.

Today I sprayed on some Chant d'Aromes edt from a bottle purchased in 1998. The moment I breathed in the waft, I could sense It, although not as a "note" per se until the heart started to fade. Another one that does this to my nose is the original Eau Fraiche by Dior. Then there's my bottle of Quartz (Molyneux) where the oakmoss pads up behind you and whacks you like a cat wielding a very big stick, right when you'd fallen for its disguise as a light-hearted citrus eau.

Tell us how it happens to you.
    Last edited by Jardanel; 22nd March 2010 at 10:50 PM.

Default Re: When do you experience the hit

The "hit" can come at any time of the drydown--from the top notes to the bottom.

I have enjoyed the marvel of a nice middle note and swooned in happiness.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.