Code of Conduct

Default Why is "Summer" more popular than "Winter"?

I've been wondering why most fragrances, specially the new releases these days(Flankers) have the attached "Summer" word to it(i.e. CK one summer, Eternity summer, etc.). Then made me wonder, if there were any fragrances(or their flankers) with "Winter" on them, or something to indicate that they are meant for cold weather. So after doing a quick search I didn't find any. Since I love winter but love summer frags, I was interested if they made something like ADG winter or L'eau D' Issey Winter Editions.

I think the closest thing they did was making things "intense", which I guess indicates it being used for cold weather.

Default Re: Why is "Summer" more popular than "Winter"?

Summer editions work year-round. Winter fragrances overwhelm if the temperature is high.

I think that a lot of people, still, wear fragrances to counter body odor and sweat is synonymous with summer. Hence most of the fragrances are targeted for summer wear.

Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post
    I think that a lot of people, still, wear fragrances to counter body odor and sweat is synonymous with summer. Hence most of the fragrances are targeted for summer wear.
    I never thought of countering sweat! Deodorants work well enough, and I thought people considered fragrances as accessories not necessities (with "functional" purposes). Maybe that's because my mild sweat odor actually attracts women. Still, my cousin has a pungent sweat odor and still gets laid everywhere he goes.

My guess is that it's about summer vacation related shopping - especially when it's flankers for women. The marketers envision women going out to the mall and buying bathing suits and summer cocktail dresses and linen pants and sandals and bangle bracelets and beach towels and new lipstick and look! A summer flanker! And they might pick up one for the husband, too.

Anyway, that's my theory of what their theory is. Celebratory winter shopping doesn't happen as often - except, of course, for Christmas, but apparently Christmas isn't an occasion for weather-related flankers.

Quote Originally Posted by Spray View Post
    I never thought of countering sweat! Deodorants work well enough, and I thought people considered fragrances as accessories not necessities (with "functional" purposes). Maybe that's because my mild sweat odor actually attracts women. Still, my cousin has a pungent sweat odor and still gets laid everywhere he goes.
    That is why I said 'a lot of people' and not 'all people'.
    Personally, I've never had any odor issues and just like you, I consider fragrances as fashion accessories.

As for your cousin with pungent body odor having a high success rate, remember, a lot of women out there have body odor too. ;-)

Sur la Plage

There is Guerlain Aqua Allegoria Winter Delice and Michael Storer Winter Star.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 23rd March 2010 at 03:43 AM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Good question. I love winter beyond reason, and would love to see some warm, heavier, richer versions of my favorite fragrances be released in time for the colder months. I suspect the reason companies don't produce such flankers is due to summer's overwhelming popularity over winter for pretty much everyone alive - when the weather heats up, it incites a craving for fresh, "summery" fragrances to go with your newly pared-down and sunnier wardrobe. When the cold sets, you just want hot chocolate and parkas - fragrance isn't tops on the list of purchases for winter preparation.

I think "summer" sounds better in a fragrance name because, to many people, summer is synonymous with fun, carefree living...summer flings, road trips, the beach, vacations, school being out, long and warm evenings, etc. There are just more positive images and feelings implied with a "summer" version of anything...people want to be reminded of these associations all year. I doubt most people consider how a fragrance actually reacts to cold or hot weather.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 23rd March 2010 at 02:07 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    I think "summer" sounds better in a fragrance name because, to many people, summer is synonymous with fun, carefree living...summer flings, road trips, the beach, vacations, school being out, long and warm evenings, etc. There are just more positive images and feelings implied with a "summer" version of anything...people want to be reminded of these associations all year. I doubt most people consider how a fragrance actually reacts to cold or hot weather.
    +1
    I wanna say something. Im gonna put it out there. If you like it, you can take it, if you dont, send it right back."

In general, I think it's a lot easier to make a summer flanker for a winter fragrance while still maintaining the original frag's essense than it is to do the opposite...

I think the change to summer is one people enjoy greatly and see as an expansive "life shift." They'd therefore think about making changes and living it up a little and be inclined to buy flanker products to participate in a summer delight. Winter's arrival usually calls for the opposite attitude--a settling in to the greater darkness and protection from the elements.

There's also Caron's Nuit de Noel for winter themes.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Blog Entries

A large chunk of fragrance sales occur during the holidays (the 4th quarter is always the biggest by far). These items are usually bought as gifts and are often repeat purchases (something the receiver has owned in the past). As long as manufacturers trot out a bit of advertising and a gift with purchase, those sales are going to happen. New releases are often overlooked, so it doesn't make sense to release hoards of flankers at this time. Marketers work harder at trying to generate sales at other times of the year (spring and summer) when consumer purchasing ebbs, and a good hook is to get consumers to try something "new" and "fresh."
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous