Code of Conduct
    Sur la Plage

Default New Fragrance: L'Artisan Nuit de Tubéreuse (Late Spring 2010)

Nuit de Tubéreuse - Eau de Parfum

A perfume for a secret Parisian summer night

Parisian summer nights are too romantic to be resisted. The bright lights and vibrating Paris night life are intoxicating, almost hypnotic. They have a kind of transparent grace about them, a secret sensuality, a disturbing magic that electrifies the senses.

With NUIT DE TUBEREUSE, L’Artisan Parfumeur, the daring alchemist, working with master perfumer Bertrand Duchaufour, offers a new and tender look at tuberose, darling of the night. A contemporary tuberose - a secret, almost narcotic perfume you want to feel on your skin, with an attraction that expresses itself according to the moment and the way it evolves on the skin, in multiple and astonishing ways.

Built around an absolute of tuberose, this magnificent perfume magnifies every single facet of this mysterious, ambivalent flower.

The top note is delicately spicy (a hot and cold bouquet of cardamom, clove absolute, pink berries and pepper) and citrus fruits which turn to velvet beside sweet notes of tender but highly narcotic white flowers (tuberose, orange blossom and ylang-ylang). Rose takes its place in the form of essential oil and absolute to give the floral heart notes warmth and color. Mango gives it that touch of sparkle. An almost mineral vibration that emanates from tuberose root mingles with angelica in an unusual harmony. Gorse absolute strengthens its mellow but slightly tangy aspect. And its base vibrates in concert with an ensemble of rare woods ranging from sandalwood to pallissander, glazed with sensual musks and enveloping balms (benzoin, styrax).

Nuit de Tubéreuse, the perfume of a secret summer night in Paris. A luminous harmony built around the ambivalence of tuberose, pure and innocent, poetic in its exaltation and an almost narcotic sensuality.

Nuit de Tubéreuse - Eau de Parfum 100 ml : $155 - Eau de Parfum 50 ml : $115
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: New Fragrance: L'Artisan Nuit de Tubéreuse (Late Spring 2010)

Sounds fabulous - another tuberose perfume to try .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I'm always up for a new tuberose! Hopefully this will be as delightful as they want us to believe it is.

I've been lemming this for months since I first heard rumors! I'm a big fan of cardamom, but the mango kinda scares me.

Basenotes Plus

Sounds perfect for my sister!
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Sounds good to me, at least to try
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

So... What is "Gorse absolute"?

Ruh-roh - another lovely sounding tuberose waiting for a potential wishlist placement... still shooting for Beyond Love...
    But I, too, am a little scared of that mango.

Basenotes Institution

Can't wait to smell it.

Eager to try this new one...hoping it's better than Tubéreuse.

Quote Originally Posted by pkiler View Post
    So... What is "Gorse absolute"?
    Gorse is a spiny evergreen shrub with yellow blooms that have a "coconut" scent according to Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorse

I'm wanting to try it too!

Gorse has an extremely buttery floral smell; quite lovely and unique in my experience, though similar to some other members of the broom family. It's like butter, more than any other flower I've smelled, but not like coconut in my experience. I think it would go quite well with tuberose.

There's definite contrast between the gorgeous smell of the flowers and the nasty, spiky, invasive nature of the shrub itself. I'd hate to have the job of picking gorse flowers!

Quote Originally Posted by *bloomy* View Post
    Eager to try this new one...hoping it's better than Tubéreuse.
    L'artisan's Tubereuse is one of my favorite tuberose frags. It's a simple, buttery, candied tuberose. Very, very, very, very, very huuuuuuuuge though!

Eva Pasco

Also intrigued by tuberose, this one by L'Artisan sounds intoxicating. I do believe the insinuating tuberose needs to be surrounded by other notes to soften her trumpeting.

I hope you won't find it inapppropriate for me to toot my own horn, but I've just posted a review of Nuit de Tubéreuse (the first one to make it online as far as I can tell), along with an exclusive interview of Bertrand Duchaufour.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by carmencanada View Post
    I hope you won't find it inapppropriate for me to toot my own horn, but I've just posted a review of Nuit de Tubéreuse (the first one to make it online as far as I can tell), along with an exclusive interview of Bertrand Duchaufour.
    Thanks for the link c.

Reading it, I'm reminded slightly of that wet-cardboard, papier-maiche smell I got from Bolt of Lightning by JAR...which I believe is a tuberose fragrance also. Would you compare BOL to NdT at all?

I'm afraid JAR is off my radar. I'm put off by the whole idea of the ceremony involved in smelling them at the shop... However, I'm not getting any wet cardboard off Nuit de Tubéreuse: the moist earth + green rootiness is more prominent in the first phase.

Basenotes Institution

I'm afraid JAR is off my radar. I'm put off by the whole idea of the ceremony involved in smelling them at the shop... However, I'm not getting any wet cardboard off Nuit de Tubéreuse: the moist earth + green rootiness is more prominent in the first phase.
    I know. When I was at Bergdorf for the 1st time, last summer I remember walking by the JAR booth and kind of giggling at the dramaticism and ceremony involved in stepping into that black curtained area, with the SA all dressed up in a 3-piece suit. I didn't bother.

My BOL sample is from one of my BN peeps and I swear each time I wear it, I struggle to smell the tuberose and instead get a very difficult, vegetal, almost moldy smell...which your review sounded eerily familiar to.

Now I am even more excited to smell the L' Artisan!

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I know. When I was at Bergdorf for the 1st time, last summer I remember walking by the JAR booth and kind of giggling at the dramaticism and ceremony involved in stepping into that black curtained area, with the SA all dressed up in a 3-piece suit. I didn't bother.

My BOL sample is from one of my BN peeps and I swear each time I wear it, I struggle to smell the tuberose and instead get a very difficult, vegetal, almost moldy smell...which your review sounded eerily familiar to.

Now I am even more excited to smell the L' Artisan!
    The first time I smelt BOL, I was utterly disgusted and repulsed. I am very sensitive to the smell of cut grass as it makes me nauseous. If you have ever smelt D'Humeur Jalouse by L'artisan, which is part of the mood fragrances released in a set, it gives the same vibe of greenery; celery sticks, grass, dirt and more and more grass. But after trying BOL several times, every time I smell a bit of camphor, a bit of a tuberosy inclination and a bit of indoles. But it's really buried under all that dirt, grass and berries. I love it now. I was considering purchasing it, but I hear that it's basically diluted tuberose absolute with white musks to give it longevity and sillage. Someone here on BN did this experiment and got a-near BOL experience.

But this new L'artisan is really high on my lemming list! Can't wait to try it.

Hmm. Great review, but it dampened my enthusiasm a little with its mention of subdued tuberose and moldy notes. I hope this won't have that vinegary edge I smell in so many of his other fragrances e.g. most of the Eau d'Italie line. On the other hand, I'm hopeful due to mentions of a "new style" for him, as Amaranthine was exceedingly pretty with no vinegar or myrrh overdose in sight!

But hey, it has tubereuse in its name, which means at some point I WILL get around to smelling this.

Banned

Carmencanada's review/interview doesn't help my wallet, as her description of this composition by Bertrand Duchaufour sounds great... a tuberose rooted in the tropics!? As much as tuberose may be culturally connected to women, what is up with the woman on the bottle? Isn't unisex all the rage these days

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by NEoTY26 View Post
    Carmencanada's review/interview doesn't help my wallet, as her description of this composition by Bertrand Duchaufour sounds great... a tuberose rooted in the tropics!? As much as tuberose may be culturally connected to women, what is up with the woman on the bottle? Isn't unisex all the rage these days
    I didn't even see the shape of the woman's profile, in that swirly graphic, until you pointed it out T.

[QUOTE=Galamb_Borong;1787674]Gorse has an extremely buttery floral smell;

Thanks to you and shadesofbleu,

Does anyone have a source for this Ulex/Gorse Absolute?

Is there a similar different name to it from france, as Broom is to Genet?

Thanks for the help...

Basenotes Plus

Public Service announcement: The L'Artisan Tuberose, the one that has been out, is being discontinued. (So say my sources at Barneys L'Artisan NYC.)
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

@Galamb_Borong

Not a hint of those vinegar or myrrh notes you mentioned. And notice that Bertrand Duchaufour was quick to rectify my remark about "mouldy": he said "rooty" was more accurate.
    Nuit de Tubéreuse is more in line with Amaranthine than with the L'Eau d'Italie scents. It is a more subdued tuberose than, say, Tubéreuse Criminelle or Carnal Flower, but as I already own both of those I was glad to find something that was more wearable in the daytime, less of a sillage-thrower.
    Last edited by carmencanada; 9th April 2010 at 07:19 AM.

I'm afraid JAR is off my radar. I'm put off by the whole idea of the ceremony involved in smelling them at the shop...
    Actually, you're in Paris, right? You should go! I finally popped in this past December, and yes, it was pretty ceremonious, but not nearly as pretentious as I expected. The SA (I hesitate to call him that, since he wasn't really trying to sell me anything) was extremely friendly and candid, and I got the impression from chatting with him that the reason for the mystery is that Mr. JAR is not officially a perfumer (subtext: he put together some things that he thinks smell interesting, and doesn't want people judging his technique). And that he can get away with this since the perfumes are essentially a hobby.

In fact the funniest part was that the SA was convinced I must be a blogger - I guess they don't get that many random visitors :-) I wouldn't boycott the place though, just stop by sometime when you're in the neighborhood. My sweater smelled wonderful for weeks afterward from residue of the four I tried on.

Vincennes, you're right, I should pop in... See if he takes me for a blogger. Which SA in niche shops usually suss out in about five minutes. After all, the shop is on the paths I stalk...

Any more thoughts on this ? Anyone else tried it , I got an itchy finger for a blind buy on this .....

It seems very fruity to my nose!I get orange blossom ,lemon and mango!
    The name suggests an evening scent but i would wear for day as well.
    There is a peppery underground in this scent but i insist on the fruity base.It's not sweet like fruits but i also get the vanilla and tuberose essence ,too.The general image of this perfume i would say it's a nice floral fruity chypre one.
    LOVE IS BEST
    My sale thread :http://www.basenotes.net/search.php?searchid=2281122
    "There are people of spirit and there are people of passion but much less common that one might think. Rarer still are the people of passion and spirit. But rarest of all is a passionate spirit."
    -- Martin Buber

I had the chance to sniff this. I admit I don't like tuberose, but I was impressed by the NdT. I love cardamon and spices, so I was immediately drawn to the top notes. The overall feeling is of a somewhat dark(ish), very sensual fragrance. It has depth and warmth both. I think that Ndt does to tuberose what my favorite Jasmin de Nuit does to the interpretation of jasmine. Should investigate more!

From my recent trip to Scentbar:

L'Artisan
    Nuit de Tubereuse--I'm not a huge fan of tuberose, but in NdT, the flower is represented as green and woody and utterly adorable. The tuberose is mild and somewhat clean, and later seems fruity and fresh. It may not satisfy those who crave tuberose monsters, but its quiet and sheer qualities are extremely fetching regardless.

Just received my bottle Friday - it is so lovey, and light enough for day wear without killing everyone around you with the sillage (which is minimal). It was not as tenacious as I hoped it would be, only got about 6 hours out of it, but I guess that's what purse decants are for. :-) I get a lot of orange blossom along with a very light, sweet tuberose.

Off-Scenter

I just wore this a couple of times for review elsewhere, and I'm sorry to say I was very disappointed. On me there is an extremely loud and chemically abrasive woody base note that overwhelms the entire composition after the first few minutes' wear. (I've had a similar problem with Vierges & Toreros.)

I smelled this a couple of days ago and liked it very much. I own Fracas, but I don't wear it very often because the sillage is huge, but this one is beautiful, with moderate sillage and seemed to last for a while. I was most impressed because it is very smooth, no sharp notes on my skin.
    Evenstar

I agree with Off-Scenter that the teak-like woody note that's apparent from the very beginning overpowers everything else and projects its sillage all over the place. I also smell the wet-cardboard note that others mentioned, which I think is probably Iso E Super. This tuberose is not for me.
    Blog: www.perfumenw.blogspot.com
    Website: Olympic Orchids Artisan Perfumes http://orchidscents.com.

@ Doc Elly: The wet-cardboard effect is actually one of the facets of tuberose absolute (it's also perceptible in cassie absolute, for instance) that Bertrand Duchaufour wanted to play on, rather than Iso E Super which is very soft.

@ Off-Scenter: I'm thinking that the overwhelming woody note you're getting may be a material to which some people are hyperosmic, a woody note that really grates at some people's noses, while it goes totally unnoticed by others. I get that, for instance, from Jubilation XXV and from French Lover/Bois d'Orage.

There is also a terpenic effect created by the mango accord and the pink pepper (which is overdosed in the formula). This creates an incense note: if you pick it up too strongly it might grate.

@Cazaubon: hey, 6 hours is pretty good! I for one don't like fragrances that have the half-life of plutonium on my skin, and moderate sillage is a plus in the case of a scent based on tuberose...