Code of Conduct

Default Strong or polite?

"I prefer when my scent doesnt open doors in front of me"

This is one of posts that I read from random girl in discussion about Angel for women. I have to agree on this one because Angel is one of strongest perfumes I smelled and everytime person that wears it leaves strong scent trail behind or has huge scent cloud around her. It's actually ok for girl but..

... do you prefer your fragrances to be loud? Or do you like more polite scents, that only people in your personal zone can smell?
    I personaly don't feel comfortable when I am wearing something strong and controversial in office (like Body Kouros or Le Male) full of men, where most of them dont wear anything worth to mention (except of light sporty citrus aquatics) or just thing that wearing scent is gay or metrosexual.

Mine questions are:

Do you prefer your scents to be loud or rather polite with good longetivity?
    Do you wear any of strong fragrances also to office?

Default Re: Strong or polite?

I'm a considerate guy. I walk outside to make sure the music I'm playing isn't bothering anybody. I lower my voice at night. I won't wear anything strong to the office - I don't think it's professional.
    Last edited by adonis; 23rd March 2010 at 12:02 PM.

I don`t like it when a scent fills the hole room. It`s more ok when people can notice the scent when they passes me on the street.

Not really wearing anything strong to the office.

But then really prefers d long lasting ones, and of course no matter who else does not notice, i need to notice my own frag thru out d day..(which means, d others around would notice too in a good way)

Dependent

I try to walk the line between strong and polite. It is an art I am trying to perfect.

I don't like to wear loud scents in general.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    I try to walk the line between strong and polite. It is an art I am trying to perfect.
    Matthew says what I try to do too.

Ultimately I like to be thought of as polite and tasteful, so if I have to choose one or the other between strong or polite I'll probably pick polite. However, I do want my scent noticed, and not just by someone making out with me. I don't mean to overpower or cover a room with my scent, so no one should think I'm arguing for that, but there are times I do want the flash of something that people will indeed notice and be curious about.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

I have gone through what I consider a typical transition of stages from the guy who wanted to get attention, to the guy that wanted to get the RIGHT attention. No longer do I feel the need to pummel people with my fragrance, it's annoying to others, and gets tiring for me to wear. I prefer for my scent to oscillate in and out of consciousness, so once your hooked, you've got to stick around to get more.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

I don't like people to know I am wearing a fragrance until they are very close to me. I don't want people to enter a room and wonder where the smell is coming from -I am not an air freshener

For me, a wardrobe of scents is like a wardrobe of clothing. I try to match the fragrance "outfit" to my destination. The fragrance I wear to a nightclub (for example) would be very different (in terms of sillage) from a fragrance I would wear to a more somber destination. In any event, I tend to prefer moderate sillage and excellent longevity.
    Snarky is as snarky does.

My preferred style of wearing perfume has always been 'discreet'. But I may vary the application judiciously depending on the occasion / social setting.

Sur la Plage

A "strong" fragrance can be polite if applied correctly/appropriately. You don't have to wear a "weak-ass" fragrance to be polite.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I have to be double polite or discreet...not only because of the office..but mainly because I always go swimming or to the gym during my lunch-break..and as I absolutly HATE to find a scented trail of someone in the water when I'm swimming, it's rude. I try to think of that when I spritz in the morning. Actually it's more because of the gym-pool thing than because of any restrictions in my office.
    I have nothing against loud perfumes, but it is hard to spritz just the right amount..so I normally leave them for the weekends..

I want to be able to catch whiffs of my sotd, and at the same time I prefer if others don't have to choke on it. My ideal fragrance is strong, but stays relatively close to the skin and doesn't produce a monster sillage.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    A "strong" fragrance can be polite if applied correctly/appropriately. You don't have to wear a "weak-ass" fragrance to be polite.

This!!

I prefer strong, as long as it tones down at some point.

I probably err on the side of too strong for some people often. Work is one of the primary places I wear scents, and some of my wardrobe are frags that really POUND for the first hour. Vintage Tabarome has scared me at times. As I get to know a scent, I try to find the right dosage to make it project at least a bit without attacking anyone.

Depending on what's on my schedule, I may tone it down with a milder scent or lower dose.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 23rd March 2010 at 08:26 PM.

For the first hour, most of my favourite fragrances are pretty strong, but they dry down to a lovely aura of scent which projects moderately but lasts a long time.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

It's more about attitude than pure strength. I hate "polite" in a fragrance in the sense of being bland and offensive to no-one, but at the same time, I don't trail clouds of sillage around me. Strong fragrances are preferable and can always be applied lightly, and vice-versa for weak fragrances, but I value longevity over sillage as a general rule.

This sentiment describes my own approach to wearing fragrances to a T. I wear a lot of really strong colognes, but I don't bathe in them. I like a very bold, aggressive scent, but I like it to stay relatively close to the skin. Like if I'm wearing Kouros, I'll just be careful how much I put on. I don't want people around me to be cowering under tables.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    Exactly!
    If fragrance has a gender, so does all art.

If being politely strong is possible, that is me.

I own only "light" scents and so I prefer them, but I agree to say that scents I'd consider "strong" like Body Kouros for example can totally be polite and well appropriate if applied sparingly. However, for office purpose, I think loud scents are not really "professional", to quote what 'adonis' said.

I think the perfect projection distance is 6 feet.

i work in the office so most of the time sillage is kept to minimal no matter the scent or the amount sprayed.

Mostly, I try to find an even mix between both, so most of my frags, including the ones I wear for work or for very formal occasions are right down in the middle

My sentiments exactly. For this very reason I have begun to trim down my wardrobe and sell-off all the laughably weak fragrances. I'd rather vary my application method to achieve the desired sillage and longevity rather than just wear something puny.

Quote Originally Posted by Spray View Post
    I think the perfect projection distance is 6 feet.
    6 feet is wayyy too much, maybe at first, but even that is pushing it. I like to walk by somebody and for them to get a whiff of what I have on as opposed to stinking up a whole room and affecting people with allergies.

I lean toward the polite side. I wear strong fragrances, but as it has been said before, the trick is in the application.