Code of Conduct

Question 20 Year High School reunion: what to wear?

I'll be returning to Australia this year in time to attend my 20 year high school reunion.

I don't want to go in there and gloat and sashay, but I do want to look good and smell even better.
    So Im wondering which scent in my 'drobe to reach for. The reunion will take place in the height of summer, though that is not something that will detract me from wearing something with a bit of clout. I would like low - moderate sillage, and something 'unexpected'. At school I was popular, but kind of seen as the "out there" rocker / art guy.

First thoughts: XerJoff Homme, Oud Wood or perhaps potentially my own Basenotes / CPL Aromas fragrance!

Any suggestions from my wardrobe would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 23rd March 2010 at 12:09 PM.

Default Re: 20 Year High School reunion: what to wear?

Or maybe wear something that was popular 20 years ago.

Thats an interesting idea too. I wore Kouros to my high school ball in 1990. I can't believe I pulled that one off back then!

I am not familiar with enough of your wardrobe to comment which of those you should wear, but I think wearing your own BN fragrance project scent would be a great idea (and it would make a great story, in case anyone asks what you''re wearing).
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Fahrenheit Absolute

I've only sampled a fraction of your wardrobe, but generally speaking, I think the scent you pick should be the one that speaks the most about you... Obviously you're a different person now than you were then and I'm sure there were many trials and tribulations that got you to where you are today... I think the scent you pick should be the one that best represents that journey...

Good luck!

Blog Entries

You mean you're not going to wear LP No 9?!

You know, of course, that you can walk into that gig smelling like Irish Spring and still rock the house, right? You're still a hunk and both you and your gorgeous wife will turn heads with no small amount of appreciation and envy, no matter what.

Seasons are upside down in the land down under, so this will occur in December-ish, yes?

Well, in any case, how about Washington Tremlett Black Tie?
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

I don't know you, but of what I see (and my own personal tastes) I'd go LP No 9 for Men or EdP FM Vetiver Extraordinaire. Neither one seems pretencious but they both exude class and a certain sense of individuality.

Basenotes Plus

I sampled Cologne pour le Soir by Maison Francis Kurkdjian over the weekend and will shortly be purchasing. It is absolutely compelling stuff from one of the best noses in the business (IMHO) and would seem to fit the bill perfectly, both in terms of sillage and the unexpected. Also exudes a nice gothic vibe for the rocker in you. It would definitely be my choice.

PS - Wish they did it in smaller bottles though. My wallet is going to be somewhat lighter.
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 23rd March 2010 at 05:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by an_oud_girl View Post
    You mean you're not going to wear LP No 9?!
    Exactly what I was going to say. I know your wardrobe icon is Eau Noire, but when I think about you, Dimitri, LP no. 9 is what comes to mind instantly. In fact, your name is more tied to that scent for me, then the scent itself!
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

My vote goes to Vetiver Extraordinaire. It smells great on you. I think. Plus, nothing's better in summer than vetiver.
    Second choice is Oud Wood.
    Now I wonder what Mira will wear...

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Dimitri here is a list of the frags launched between 1989 and 1990. There should be something raunchy enough in those choices to wear with pride to your 20th

http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancedi...&submit=search
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Go with your hunch Dimi, Oud Wood sounds ideal
    Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good.

CdG or Vol de Nuit
    If fragrance has a gender, so does all art.

Thanks for all your responses people
    You've actually given me things to think about here, particularly with the idea of wearing something I wore, or was produced that year. Then again, it may look like I'm stuck in the 80s (not that I think anyone will remember what I smelled like back then).

I thought about LPNo9 as well... it is a scent many have associated with me already, but it is available back in Perth whereas a number of fragrances in my 'drobe do not have distributors in Australia. I'm leaning towards the CPL/Basenotes scent (depending on the smell of course!), only because as LiveJazz said, it would make a great story.

What to do, what to do...?

Oh, and thanks an_oud_girl! You're gawjus!
    Mira has already decided on Isabey's Gardenia or Fleur Nocturne.
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 24th March 2010 at 06:17 AM.

I personally wouldn't wear something from the 80's. Would give the impression that you're wearing the same cologne for 30 years. It's the same thing that wear those big shouldered jackets that remind the "B-52s" band.
    Wear some elegant, modern and edgy scent that you already like, signifying not only that you are still the same person, but also that you (and your tastes) have evolved with time.

I think that Korres Saffron Amber Agarwood Cardamom would be a good match for the event. It is quirky, evolves in a gorgeous but unpredictable and unexpected manner, and doesn't leave a massive wake behind you but has a sillage that is noticable to those in your immediate vicinity.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant