Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: You wanna smell good for yourself or for others?

Voters
117. You may not vote on this poll
  • For myself only, im selfish.

67 57.26%
  • I care more about how others sense me.

25 21.37%
  • Other

25 21.37%

Default Do You Wear Cologne for Yourself, or for Others?

do you care about how others are sensory perceptive of your colognes, or do you just wanna smell good for yourself?? almost like a selfish habit maybe??

me personally, i just like to smell good for myself, smell myself all day, lol

Default Re: Do You Wear Cologne for Yourself, or for Others?

Me me me. It's all about me. If anyone else smells it on me, fine, though it usually makes me a little paranoid when too many people say, "You smell good." It's like when too many people say, "That's a nice tie." That means, "You dork, your tie is too loud." Same goes for fragrance. Subtle is best. Start by pleasing yourself. And don't gas out your friends, family, and co-workers. If you're wearing fragrance thinking it'll help you get laid more often, you need to spend more time in a gym first. THAT will get you laid more often. Cologne is just a tiny component of getting laid, at best.

I wear fragrances primarily for my own enjoyment. But I do take others into account. For example, my mother is very sensitive to fragrances, so I wear little or nothing around her. As for those I come into regular contact with who are not sensitive, I hope I smell good to them.

Sur la Plage

I wear it for myself - but I do not consider that in any way selfish.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

The day I bought Antaeus was the day I started wearing a frag for others. After that I pretty much wear and buy whatever frag I like regardless of whether it's acceptable socially or something like that. But sometimes on certain special occasions I do wear something my gf bought for me.
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

I wear it for myself! It's all about individuality.

Eva Pasco

Fragrance preference is subjective so I wear a scent to please myself.

I consider other people, but I wear cologne to smell it on myself.

For myself, but I don't think i'm being selfish for doing so. I have to experience the scent all day, whereas other people (even my close friends) may only smell it a few brief moments.

That said, there are situations where I would make considerations for others. My girlfriend hates a few of my scents so on days I will be spending most of my time with her I will not wear those. But I do not wear a scent specifically for someone else.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Dennard View Post
    I wear fragrances primarily for my own enjoyment. But I do take others into account. For example, my mother is very sensitive to fragrances, so I wear little or nothing around her. As for those I come into regular contact with who are not sensitive, I hope I smell good to them.
    Precisely for me as well. Except it is my 2 aunts who I live with that are very sensitive to fragrances. My mum's grown used to it!

Primarily for myself, but I'd be lying if I said compliments from others didn't give me a warm glow and, in my case, they are genuine compliments.

Totally second what Dennard and Matthewfoo above said. I do wear fragrance for myself, but I also take into consideration the sensitivities of others I will be around. Often it's no holds barred with me b/c I won't be around those people. But if I am, I'll wear something very light and lightly applied.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

entirely
    sel
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Personally I do it for a very personal reason.You see I don't like the smell of people, so in turn I like to wear cologne so they have to smell wonderful me.

Both....i do like to smell good for myself and i do really enjoy smelling myself all the time ...but at the same time i feel happy when others like the way i smell .... if people around me have a consensus that a certain fragrance is bad on me i wont apply it even if i like it

I primarily wear scent for myself, but I do consider other people too. I have a few people at work who are allergic, and also I work as a teacher for young kids, so I try to be moderate with my scent at work. It's not that I reject certain fragrances for their sake, but I don't spritz myself that much.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennard View Post
    Exactly! I sometimes (very rare) chose to wear a certain perfume to please others but I need to like it, at least.

I voted "For Myself"...Bias of the fact that if someone loves this scent so much...Why not lure em' and spray em'.
    As Petruccijc Said, it's never intended of being selfish...infact, the only way it could be conceived as being selfish
    and grandeur would be If one knew that others disliked this scent and had an akin capering to spray it amongst these
    people. Thats selfish

Though...perfume is art...and Art is a way of aiding ones life...Acts as a conduit from our nostrils to our soul!

- Balava
    - I Want To Appreciate You With My Eyes Closed-

- Anonymous

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chanel Antaeus Equipped With A Double Whipping Of A Black Leather Jacket

I confess I am selfish and I wear only for myself, but I make sure I don't disturb others.

for myself, but of course it'd be a bonus if people like it. however, i'd refrain from using (too much of) something if i know someone is repulsed by the very smell of it.

to give an example of how i wear perfume for myself, i sometimes put on a particular perfume that i'm craving to smell just before i go to sleep, so that i can smell that scent as i drift off to sleep

i wear it for both myself and others. in this part of the world, a frag is like an accessory and who dosent wanna be with someone that smells good?

Basenotes Plus

I picked "other". It's for me, but I don't think that's selfish. Also, I am not really around other people very much.

Both, actually...... But more for me!
    Cheers,
    c2k

"You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star!"

For me. No-one else cares...

Basenotes Institution

I wear scent for myself but I will take into consideration what my husband and my son think . if they particularly love a perfume from my collection then I will wear it for them .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Banned

Talking Re: Do You Wear Cologne for Yourself, or for Others?

Mostly for myself, but if any of my close friends, whose opinions I value, tell me that this particular one isn't "me", I'll wear it less often.

I voted other, because in my case it's a quite even, yet also quite random and unpredictable mix of both motivations.

I mostly wear perfume for myself... I mean, when I smell good and people appreciate it.. it's still for myself right?

For myself primarily, but I try not to offend people and to be moderate, especially where people sit or stand close. Although i wear fragrance primarily for myself I am very happy if people think I smell good. And if someone in the family or at work would tell me that they can't stand a certain perfume that I'm wearing I apply very little or stop to wear it in their presence.

For myself; unless I'm going to wear a certain fragrance to impress someone which is ocassionally. I wear fragrances to please myself first... everyone else comes second lol.

If Im 100% honest I wear it for me , if you dont like it then back off

For ME! I stopped wearing perfume for someone in the past...but never again! The scents make me feel happy.

For myself. I appreciate compliments, but the furthest I will go is to wear something I know or suspect my partner likes (of course, I have to love it too) on special nights.

Both but mostly me.

I primarily wear it for myself, but do apply lightly when in closed-in public places (trains, planes, meeting halls, etc).

On more 'other' vote here !
    I guess it's primarily for myself cause I often enjoy wear fragrances even when I know I won't encounter anyone. But I also know that I won't smell them the same way other people do, I mean I'll just have whiffs of them, when I'm moving for example. So if I can please some people with my scents I would be glad of it. Anyway my fragrances are almost all light scents and I always lightly apply, so even if someone don't like it, I won't choke him.

I believe in using discretion... sometimes.
    So I avoid using scents that a loved one dislikes… sometimes.
    And I may even wear something I like that a loved one admires, just because I remember… sometimes.
    But I never wear anything I dislike to please someone else.
    And the general public just doesn't count.

So it's for me 99% of the time. And I'll just round up.
    Last edited by Mr. Bon Vivant; 21st February 2010 at 09:55 AM. Reason: Strunk & White

me me me...it's all about me

and another vote go for me , me , me , for my own olfactory pleasure , for the pleasure of sniffing myself that is always puting a big smile up to my face ...sounds selfish but its ME only
    Kill all my demons and my angels might die, too (TW)

Both.

I think before and when people first start to get into the hobby they wear it for compliments or to garner attention, but as you get more into the hobby it starts becoming more of a selfish ordeal.
    Last edited by Pappy; 4th March 2010 at 04:12 PM.

For others. I enjoy the smell and the others enjoy it as well, we're all happy, aren't we ?
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

I tend to wear scents, at least weekdays, that stay close to me; I love the long lasting ones that waif up my way from morning to night. Gooodums!

"It's not the scent that recalls the person, but the person who recalls the scent".
    LaNose
    Last edited by LaNose; 6th March 2010 at 04:05 PM.

For myself! It is seldom that even my husband comments on my scent, while my selection du jour reflects myself and my feelings one any certain day!

reine

I've always admired signature scents, because some perfumes remind me of certain people, like my mom.

I want people to remember me too, so I think I mainly wear for other people. But, I love to sniff my wrists, too. I am forever asking "can you smell me today??" to my b/f to check if I wear too much!

For myself. That being said I do try to be mindful of shared space.. don't really want to "inflict" my choice of fragrance on anybody!

A combination of myself and my lady

I consider wearing cologne a basic element of hygiene and a courtesy to others, and I consider taking careful time picking out what to wear to be a way of showing that one really does care about the way they present themselves in public. A good fragrance is something that you should be wearing for others, as is showering and brushing your teeth. It really doesn't matter how much you like your own fragrance if the people around you think you smell like garbage. In the same way, it doesn't matter how much you like the smell of your deodorant if it doesn't hold up throughout the day, or how tasty your new toothpaste is if your breath is rank an hour later. That's my two cents anyway.

In my case it's a mix of both. I am a little bit selfish (I've been told that before..) and I enjoy smelling it on myself. It makes me be more confident. Though, knowing that the others can smell it as well and getting compliments for my perfume also makes me be more confident.

this thread turned out great! thanks for all the responses and participation
    Forcing Memories into Everyones Brains One Fragrance at a Time.