Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default New Fragrance: Diptyque Vetyverio

Umm yes please! NST, is reporting of a new unisex Diptyque fragrance featuring “a blend of masculine vetiver and feminine flower bouquets”.

Notes are: mandarin, grapefruit, lemon, bergamot, ylang ylang, Turkish rose, geranium, vetiver, carrot seeds, nutmeg, clove and cedar.

http://www.nstperfume.com/2010/03/23...new-fragrance/
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: New Fragrance: Diptyque Vetyverio

Oh boy, this is going to be as good as getting a new bike!
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Post Thanks / Like

About time Diptyque set their sites on Vetyver. I wait with baited nose.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Sounds interesting.

Post Thanks / Like

Oooh, thanks for posting it. That sounds wonderful so far.

Post Thanks / Like

Great, another vetiver frag I have to get. I need to find a new favorite note.

SmellChaser
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Amazing!

This sounds really good, the citrus, florals, spices and woods certainly make it sound like it won't be your typical vetiver, Can't wait to try this one! Thanks for the tip mtgprox05!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That's really interesting. Their limited candle release for the holidays was called Beauty & the Beast (it sounds cooler in french), and was a 2-candle set. Both were based on vetiver - one bright and floral and citrus and the other ridiculously animalic. This sounds more like the Beauty candle. Though I suspect many of the hardcore here would have preferred the Beast...
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Post Thanks / Like

When I read the description before getting to the notes, I was praying for this to turn out to resemble Vetiver Pour Elle. I wish orange blossom was in the notes. Oh well...
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Exciting indeed - thanks for posting this mtg.

Thanks for the info.

I love vetiver and cannot wait to see what Diptyque has done with it.
    This just might be a blind buy!

I wonder who the perfumer is?

This is the rare time i hope its not Olivia G. -- i want it to not be super light and to have good lasting power.
    Last edited by ajmc; 24th March 2010 at 09:00 PM.
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by rogalal View Post
    That's really interesting. Their limited candle release for the holidays was called Beauty & the Beast (it sounds cooler in french), and was a 2-candle set. Both were based on vetiver - one bright and floral and citrus and the other ridiculously animalic. This sounds more like the Beauty candle. Though I suspect many of the hardcore here would have preferred the Beast...
    Ooooo! You got me with ridiculously animalic vetiver How does it smell like?!

This sounds like the stuff of summer dreams. :-)

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

This is available at Senteurs d'Ailleurs and more interestingly the US Diptyque website: http://www.diptyqueparis.com/vetyver...-toilette.html

Post Thanks / Like

Looking at the note list both intrigues me and discourages me. Which of the listed notes will dominate the blend, I wonder? Grapefruity cedar-vetiver is something I'd flee from; floral-spicy vetiver sounds delightful.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I smelled this at the Diptyque store a while back and it wasn't what I expected at all, at least on paper. If you're familiar with Diptyque's L'Eau - it's their signature first scent, kind of like a mix of orange and cloves over Old Spice-esque powdery florals. Vetyverio came across as kind of a vetiver flanker to L'Eau. Most of the notes listed make sense when you think of it this way.

Notes:
    mandarin, grapefruit, lemon, bergamot, ylang ylang, Turkish rose, geranium, vetiver, carrot seeds, nutmeg, clove and cedar
    The mandarin, grapefruit, lemon, bergamot, and clove are the famous Diptyque L'Eau clovey citrus notes, while the flowers are the powdery floral notes.

This really just leaves the nutmeg, vetiver, and cedar to combine into the vetiver note (vetiver almost always seems to be mixed with nutmeg).

If you're expecting fresh and modern, this isn't it. But if the thought of a barbershoppy classic vetiver (in the vein of a more vetiver-centric Raquets Formula) gets you drooling, you should really track down a sniff...

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Rogalal! Vetiver L'Eau sounds interesting to me. I've always found L'Eau a little simplistic - a hot cinnamon candy, unadorned - so adding a vetiver base might give it some of the depth I find lacking.

Post Thanks / Like

At first I was really apprehensive about L'Eau too, but after an hour or two on the skin I smell less cloves and almost all dried rose pedals. Then I've thought those pedals dried down to some musk. Really liked the stuff, but out of the bottle it has not been to my liking for sure.

Back to the vetiver. I'm looking forward to this, and hope one of the B&M Diptyque carrying stores in my city will pick it up. But jeez, the price on it. Not out of the niche ballpark, but my dear friends and whippersnappers, I was gathering scents when ten years ago a 100ml bottle of Diptyque was $62, and L'Artisan was about ten bucks more. To see one of my favorite houses, Diptyque, at twice the cost--ooof--makes me conservative.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NEoTY26 View Post
    This is available at Senteurs d'Ailleurs and more interestingly the US Diptyque website: http://www.diptyqueparis.com/vetyver...-toilette.html
    Oh I am so tempted to blind buy this. Vetiver, rose, spices...this sounds brilliant.

Post Thanks / Like

It's at LuckyScent too.

A good excuse to stop by the NYC Diptyque shop this weekend!

Madison Avenue Boutique and Bleeker boutique didn't have it as of late Friday. Held up in customs according to associates. Supposed to arrive early next week.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

As of a couple of weeks ago, the SF boutique only had a tester. I don't know when they're getting real stock...

New York store doesn't have a tester yet. I was told possibly Wednesday. Oh, well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I got my tester last week for review purposes and I am liking this one after my initial impression.
    I agree with rogalal's assessment that this belongs to the more classic barbershop vetivers.
    I am on first sniff finding the spices to be very prominent and that is differentiating it from L'Eau for me.
    It will take another couple of wears for me to completely figure it out but I am trending towards liking it.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Somerville Metro Man View Post
    I got my tester last week for review purposes and I am liking this one after my initial impression.
    I agree with rogalal's assessment that this belongs to the more classic barbershop vetivers.
    I am on first sniff finding the spices to be very prominent and that is differentiating it from L'Eau for me.
    It will take another couple of wears for me to completely figure it out but I am trending towards liking it.
    SMM - clarification please: I think L' Eau is super spicy (which I thoroughly enjoy). Is Vetyverio more spicy than L' Eau. I guess I'm wondering is it L' Eau with vetiver?
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 12th May 2010 at 09:56 PM.

Aedes in NY now has the large size for $120

Post Thanks / Like

I sniffed it in SpaceNK last week. Now I am not a big fan of vetiver, it has to be beaten down to behave by other notes or it turns swamp thing on me.

The Vetyverio, I didn't really get spicy at all(this was on a card), but fresh herbal and floral. But then again it could be my idea of what is spicy.
    DONNA

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: New Fragrance: Diptyque Vetyverio

It is a nice scent, dominant, at least on me, vetiver and rose geranium, but , IMHO, it is not anything new. I prefer others fragrances from DIPTYQUE
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

I was all set to splash out on this one - I've never been a huge vetiver fan (I find Guerlain Vetiver - both new and vintage - to be dreadful), but figured Diptyque might just be able to pull a decent one off, especially when I saw the pyramid. I nearly bought it blind from a local SpaceNK yesterday, but gave it a test anyway just to see. I'm glad I did - to my nose it's another disappointing vetiver. So I didn't buy it, obviously.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    SMM - clarification please: I think L' Eau is super spicy (which I thoroughly enjoy). Is Vetyverio more spicy than L' Eau. I guess I'm wondering is it L' Eau with vetiver?
    Vetyverio is not more spicy than L'Eau I had them on side-by-side last night.
    I am definitely picking up the nutmeg and clove along with the geranium and rose in the heart. It seems like I am getting more of that than others who have tried this scent.
    I also wouldn't describe it as L'Eau with vetiver now that I have had them both on at the same time. L'Eau's spices are the core of that fragrance. Vetiver is the core of Vetyverio. Now that I have worn it a bit it feels more close in style to Tam Dao where the sandalwood there is used to play off three different sets of notes throughout the development. Vetyverio does much the same on my skin with the heart of it being the most interesting phase of it.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks SMM

I finally picked up my sample. It goes on with a very dominant grapefruit note, I get the nutmeg, too. The drydown ends up a rather typical, sour vetiver. Nice, but nothing new to report with this one.

Moved Vetyverio from Urgent-try list to Maybe-try list
    Vetiver The Great!!!

I wasn't expecting much of this due some of the tepid responses above, but it's really quite good. Outstanding, even. Fresh, floral, turning a bit bright as the heart develops. And the heart, as SMM notes, is the best part. It really comes alive and radiant after an hour.
    Vintage Guerlain, Maître Parfumeur et Gantier, and other rare off-site sales.
    Frederic Malle, Guerlain, by Kilian, and Amouage splits.
    New atomizer and decanting supplies for sale.
    For me a work of fiction exists only insofar as it affords me what I shall bluntly call aesthetic bliss, that is a sense of being somehow, somewhere, connected with other states of being where art (curiosity, tenderness, kindness, ecstasy) is the norm. - Vladimir Nabokov

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

OK - so I finally have gotten a sample of this and have given it two full wearings.

I'm extremely disappointed.

The scent is very citrus prominent in the top notes, I immediately smelled the mandarin and was reminded of those lovely Eau's that Diptyque released in a trio a couple years back. Nice, refreshing...spicy. But hey - this is a vetiver scent not an eaux cologne.

Once it heats up on skin, I can smell the transparent grassiness of the vetiver, the potpourri-like texture of the rose / spice combination and a slight whiff of that unique vegetable/mud/dirt accord that is most likely the carrot seed. The vetiver can ONLY be smelled when I bury my nose where I sprayed the scent, otherwise the overall combination is a very floral, musky green scent. Typical Diptyque, eh?

I like florals. In fact, I like the idea of florals with vetiver (remember when I was searching for one on that thread months ago?). But Vetyverio does not satisfy this floral and vetiver lover at all. I found it boring, weak and ridiculously thin.

I'm so glad I didn't blind buy this.