Code of Conduct

Default Caron Perfumes for Men

Hi,

In the short time of enjoying this hobby I realize that there are quality scents that stand apart due to composition and complexity. I understand from the various posts the BN'ers appreciation for the quality of the scents from houses such as Caron, Guerlain...

I'm intrigued by the thought of wearing scents for sheer beauty and quality. I'd like to dive in by purchasing specifically Narcisse Noir or Parfum Sacre...

What is your experience with these and do they come across as too feminine?

How do females respond, i.e, do they detect that these are feminine scents?

Default Re: Caron Perfumes for Men

I think Parfum Sacre is great and will work fine. Narcisse Noir will too, but for me the top and middle of it are too much like an inexpensive grape drink mix. The base is wonderful animalic stuff that's really nice, but that drink mix stuff makes me not want to smell of the stuff.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Tabac Blond for sure
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Quote Originally Posted by labtek99 View Post
    Hi,

In the short time of enjoying this hobby I realize that there are quality scents that stand apart due to composition and complexity. I understand from the various posts the BN'ers appreciation for the quality of the scents from houses such as Caron, Guerlain...

I'm intrigued by the thought of wearing scents for sheer beauty and quality. I'd like to dive in by purchasing specifically Narcisse Noir or Parfum Sacre...

What is your experience with these and do they come across as too feminine?

How do females respond, i.e, do they detect that these are feminine scents?
    Welcome, labtek!

I think, in my experience, that many BNers do not go by gender label and wear what THEY like. It's a matter of comfort level and choice. I have yet to have a bystander say, "Hey, lady, you are wearing a man's cologne." Most people who comment simply remark on the beauty of what I am wearing.

Genderfying perfumes is really a late 19th century phenomenon and for 1000s of years, both men and women enjoyed perfume without labels. My avatar, BTW, was known for wearing eau de jasmin, which many today would consider an extremely feminine scent. (For the record, he was 6'3" and was a bare-knuckles boxer and sword and pistol duellist without equal!)

And if they *do* remark, the heck with 'em! Enjoy what you are wearing, after all, no one categorises wines and gourmet foods as masculine or feminine.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Basenotes Institution

Welcome ! Absolutely Narcisse Noir will work for men too - very unisex in the same way Chergui is to me ! Don't worry about whether it's a women's perfume or not- if you like it, wear it !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I think if you like spicy orientals, Poivre is one to try for sure.