Code of Conduct

Default Which 'Powerhouse' should I buy?

I seem to be unintentionally collecting fragrances which are often described in this forum as 'powerhouse' - I have had Puig Quorum for many, many years (and like it a lot). I have recently purchased Giorgio Beverly Hills for Men which, if applied sparingly, is absolutely gorgeous. I have recently sampled Azzaro Pour Homme which seems fairly restrained, however, I can imagine any heavy-handedness in application could result in watery eyes in a 5 metre radius! My current favourite fragrance for general wear is YSL Rive Gauche pour Homme - very moreish - can't get enough of that clean, barbershop scent and what longevity - superb! I've also got Geoffrey Beene Grey Flannel which is unique in both fragrance and power and Givenchy Gentleman which has a sublime power and intriguing earthiness.

I am now intrigued by a few other frequently mentioned fragrances and wondered what people thought would be a good next buy amongst these few?

Halston Z-14, Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme, Lauder for Men, Bogart One Man Show (if only for the hilarious name!)

I'm particularly interested in the late 70's / 80s fragrances rather than modern powerhouses and although I like the strange dirtiness of Kouros and the spicyness of Drakkar Noir they are too familiar to intrigue me in the way the list above does.

I'd love some thoughts as to which would complement my collection (and feel free to mention any I've missed!) If any of you 'Powerhouse Experts', you know who you are shamu1, seasoldiermarine, SillageMonger, StylinLA, would like to help out I'd be honoured...!

Default Re: Which 'Powerhouse' should I buy?

I'm no expert yet, but I say try Versace L'Homme. I can't say enough about that one. Check the name carefully though when searching for it... L'HOMME not Man, Uomo, Pour Homme, etc.. It's somewhat debated as to whether it's a true powerhouse, but it's close enough for me. It was the first scent by Versace in the mid 80s, and it is NOTHING like anything else from that house.

Yeah, VC&A Pour Homme is a monster. I almost wore it today. That's a must buy in the powerhouse vein. This one makes you into a walking room freshener. And I don't mean that in a bad way.

Lauder for Men I haven't quite embraced. There's some sort of sage note in it that doesn't sit well with me. I need to give it a more extended wearing really. Someone else can weigh in on that one.

It's pricey and gone. I don't even know if it's considered a "powerhouse" really, but Vintage Tabarome is a real killer. The strongest frag I've got by far. Beats out Kouros.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 23rd March 2010 at 07:28 PM.

Get some of that One Man Show--it's great. Powerhouse yet with a whole lot of different elements that fade in and out during the course of the day. Really neat.

Another is Carlo Corinto, the original that's just named Carlo Corinto. More than two sprays and everyone at the bar knows you're a daredevil of a man.

If you can find Alain Delon's "AD Classic" I think it's called, maybe it's just Alain Delon, maybe it's Alain Delon Classic, I can't remember for sure, but it's a citrus and juniper powerhouse that lasts two days from two sprays. Smells really great too.

Lapidus Pour Homme by Ted Lapidus is another. So is Paco Rabanne's Tenere, but discontinued, so it might be hard to find and expensive.

What a fun search you're going to have!
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Oscar de la renta Pour lui
    Cartier Santos eau de Sport
    YSL Kouros
    CK Obsession

Aw man, where to start?! DustB and StylinLA make some very good recommendations (though I'll disagree on the old Tabarome, which I personally don't find too strong), which I'd second.

To tell you the truth, you ought to check out the threads in the "Powerhouse Fragrance Users" social group forum (I'm the moderator). You'll get a lot of opinions about a boatload of powerhouse scents from the 70s and 80s (The Glory Days) because that's the sole focus of the discussions there. Most of the threads are titled by the names of the powerhouse fragrances (e.g., "Sung Homme", "Quorum", etc.), so it's easy to peruse them. One Man Show in particular has gotten a TON of discussion in the group. Plus, we're always open to new members!
    Last edited by shamu1; 23rd March 2010 at 05:09 PM.

Antaeus
    Kouros
    Maxims Homme
    Giorgio Homme (you have it)
    Aramis 900
    Iquitos
    Aramis JHL
    Aramis Havana
    Last edited by Hasupk@gmail.com; 23rd March 2010 at 05:23 PM.
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Bijan for Men
    Balenciaga pour Homme
    Salvador Dali pour Homme
    Fendi Uomo
    Francesco Smalto pour Homme
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Darn, but I kinda miss AromiErotici's input on powerhouse frags...

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Darn, but I kinda miss AromiErotici's input on powerhouse frags...
    Yep, he's the true powerhouse guru.

Sur la Plage

Capucci Punjab
    Christian Dior Jules
    Last edited by petruccijc; 23rd March 2010 at 07:06 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Try to sample Azzaro's PH some more, it may take some time to fully appreciate this scent.

Not in your list but i highly recommend Chanel's Antaeus, beautifull fragrance!
    Knize Ten !

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    It's pricey and gone. I don't even know if it's considered a "powerhouse" really, but Vintage Tabarome is a real killer. The strongest frag I've got by far. Beats out Kouros.
    Yep. THE legendary power fragrance. Worth tracking down a sample, at least.

U can try VCA PH which is blasting on sillage & longevity. This is the real powerhouse got respected by all powerhouse lovers. Go and sample it and surely u want adding into your collection...

Quote Originally Posted by Pontifex Maximus View Post
    Try to sample Azzaro's PH some more, it may take some time to fully appreciate this scent.

Not in your list but i highly recommend Chanel's Antaeus, beautifull fragrance!
    Yeah, I need to pick up some Azzaro PH. Been hearing too much about it.

Anteus is also a good one. I find it similar in "personality" to VC&A, but I prefer VC&A myself. Seems stronger, at least it is on me.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 23rd March 2010 at 08:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    Yeah, I need to pick up some Azzaro PH. Been hearing too much about it.

Anteus is also a good one. I find it similar in "personality" to VC&A, but I prefer VC&A myself. Seems stronger, at least it is on me.

Yeah VC&A PH is cousin with Antaeus...both got castoreum notes that produce animalic leathery scents.....

Quote Originally Posted by Derbyman View Post

I'd love some thoughts as to which would complement my collection (and feel free to mention any I've missed!) If any of you 'Powerhouse Experts', you know who you are shamu1, seasoldiermarine, SillageMonger, StylinLA, would like to help out I'd be honoured...!
    Derbyman, are you looking for a total macho, raging powerhouse, or something a bit more slick?

Some stuff I used to wear in the late 70's / 80's (90's)and were considered powerfull....

Jil Sander Pure Men Original
    Jean Patou PH
    Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme
    Polo
    Zino Davidoff
    Aramis
    Must de Cartier
    Santos de Cartier
    Trussardi Pour Homme
    Azzaro
    Last edited by JYvdK; 23rd March 2010 at 10:42 PM.
    Current Favourites: Touaregh -Il Profumo/ Le Vainqueur- Rue Rance/ Versus Uomo -Versace/ Sculpture -Nikos/ Acier Aluminium - Creed/ Santal Noble - MPG

I really like Polo and Antaeus, Havana is good too but a bit too much tobacco for me.
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Thanks StylinLA - as for the Azzaro PH - I've only a small sample which I've worn a couple of times but it made an impression - I can imagine it being a 'grower' - it's powerful yet refined and smells great!
    Last edited by Derbyman; 24th March 2010 at 07:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    Derbyman, are you looking for a total macho, raging powerhouse, or something a bit more slick?
    Hi shamu1 - thanks for the replies and the good advice - I'll definitely check out the "Powerhouse Fragrance Users" social group forum. I'm probably looking for something towards the slicker end of the scale - I'm not a macho sort of character but enjoy the classic 70s/80s fragrances, many of which seem to be of this powerful style - just trends at the time I guess. Many modern fragrances seem to be fruity, aqua or just plain non-descript and I suppose subconsciously I'm attracted to the smells of my childhood and formative years (as I was born in '73). I'm pretty sure I like Rive Gauche as it smells a bit like Brut!!

No mentions of Halston Z-14 yet - I love the name - does the juice live up to it?

Z-14 is on the linear, piney side. Good stuff, and evocative of its time and place. More in the realm of drug store than sophisticated power scent. Not that drug store is necessarily a bad thing. Not recommended for business or formal wear, though.

Good for you on trying our Beloved Powerhouse Frags Derbyman. Don't forget the Powerhouse Group. We would love you're input

I I have had Puig Quorum for many, many years (and like it a lot).
    Derbyman, I've been wanting to ask: is Quorum a particularly popular scent in England? I've noticed that a lot of its BN admirers are from England, so I've been wondering if it's really popular over in the UK. I think Quorum frightens people here in the US.

No mentions of Halston Z-14 yet - I love the name - does the juice live up to it?

I think Z-14 is definitely a powerhouse, and a very smooth one at that. I get a big cloud of sillage with it, and it lasts a good 12 hours for me.

Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    Derbyman, I've been wanting to ask: is Quorum a particularly popular scent in England? I've noticed that a lot of its BN admirers are from England, so I've been wondering if it's really popular over in the UK. I think Quorum frightens people here in the US.
    A friend of the family bought me a small bottle of Quorum when I was around 18 and at that time I thought it smelled a bit serious and mature for me so it sat unused for many years. I found it again in my mid-twenties and liked the smell and began wearing it to go out and even then, before I knew anything about (or had any real interest in) fragrances, I realised it was potent stuff and applied it very sparingly!!

Quorum is still easily found in the UK in chemists (drugstores) and in supermarkets. It can be picked up for around 10 ($15) for 100ml both as EDT and aftershave. It is probably regarded over here as fairly 'old-fashioned' and not particularly fashionable - I haven't ever smelled it on anyone else since I first got it and that was around 18 years ago so it's definitely not popular! Never mind though - I love it and it's widely available at a bargain price!

It's strange that so many classic high quality scents (Quorum, Azzaro, Aramis Original etc) are regarded (in the UK at least) as 'drugstore' frags when there are so many dull, generic and forgettable so-called 'Designer Fragrances' being produced which are sold in their millions and regarded by the masses as far superior!! It's all a big marketing con - take for example 'Geoffrey Beene Grey Flannel' - it can be purchased online for 10 or less yet it's sold in top end stores such as Harvey Nichols (think Saks, Neimann Marcus) alongside Tom Ford and By Kilian for double the price!!

Polo

AIt's strange that so many classic high quality scents (Quorum, Azzaro, Aramis Original etc) are regarded (in the UK at least) as 'drugstore' frags when there are so many dull, generic and forgettable so-called 'Designer Fragrances' being produced which are sold in their millions and regarded by the masses as far superior!! It's all a big marketing con - take for example 'Geoffrey Beene Grey Flannel' - it can be purchased online for 10 or less yet it's sold in top end stores such as Harvey Nichols (think Saks, Neimann Marcus) alongside Tom Ford and By Kilian for double the price!!
    Agreed. I also think it's interesting that those classics you mention- Grey Flannel, Aramis, Quorum, Azzaro - happen to smell like they are made of higher quality materials and smell a lot more natural than the more expensive trendy scents released by designer firms.

I think that 'natural' is possibly the key here. I mean, who wants to smell synthetic?! We are all animals after all and although we may want to alter the way we smell I'm sure that, for most of us, we find natural smells more appealing than man-made ones. It's the same with most materials - cotton works better with the human body than nylon as it breathes and feels good next to the skin. Butter tastes better than margarine! Freshly squeezed orange juice tastes better than Sunny Delight - the list could (but won't!) go on. I'm sure that it's true that many perfume and essential oils cost more than synthetics but I'm also sure that the price on the bottle is not directly related to the cost of the raw ingredients!

I've maybe strayed off the point a bit here but what I'm trying to say is that some fragrances seem to smell very natural, last for ages and have good depth and complexity without carrying massive price tags. I'm happy to wear whatever I like the smell of and if it costs very little it's a bonus - if it costs a fortune I'll consider how much I can't live without it like any other purchase. It'll be interesting to see if I can go into my local supermarket in 20 years time and buy bottles of Amouage and Serge Lutens for 9.99!!
    Last edited by Derbyman; 26th March 2010 at 03:58 PM.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

.... I'm happy to wear whatever I like the smell of and if it costs very little it's a bonus - if it costs a fortune I'll consider how much I can't live without it like any other purchase. It'll be interesting to see if I can go into my local supermarket in 20 years time and buy bottles of Amouage and Serge Lutens for 9.99!!
    Interestingly, powerfrags did not cost a mint when they were the "happening" scents in the 70s and 80s. They were available at the equivalent of today's mainstream prices. Today's Amouages and SLs will alaways be costly because of the business models around their production, except of course their recipes are sold on licence to the big manufacturers
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Hi Derbyman,

powerhouses of recent date:
    YSL OPIUM PH EDP
    DIOR HOMME EDP

Thanks for the GIORGIO post,
    Ciao

Being a fan of quorum, I to can concur. Once I smelt something beautiful on aguy I work with. 'One man show' was his answer. I would reccommened u try it. Ive ordered my bottle

Hi zestycool, You sound like a Future "Powerhouse Fragrance User" social group Dude. Come join Us

I wouldnt consider Aramis Havana a powerhouse fragrance. At least not the new one. I just got my hands on a bottle and although it is a sillage monster within the first 20 minutes it immediately dies down on my skin. After about 4 hours you have to pretty much put your nose right on me if you want to smell it. That is with a generous amount of sprays (4-6)!

Be aware of reformulations: some powerhouses are not so any more thanks to this fact. CK's Obsession, Lagerfeld pour Homme, Givenchy Gentleman, Azzaro pour Homme, Chanel's Antaeus, Oscar de la Renta pour Lui, Dior's Jules, Puig's Quorum are not what they used to be as per the blends I had and replaced or either because I had the chance of comparing them hand in hand. Do not get me wrong, they are good scents, but they lack a note that made then deeper (yes, this is the right word: the felt more "rounded" to my sense of smell) and dirtier, maybe due to the presence of oakmoss or any other oils or aromachemicals banned by IFRA or replaced due to cost, this affecting longevity and / or sillage (Azzaro, Obsession, Jules, Quorum, etc.) or affecting top and middle notes (the case with Antaeus). So if you want to go hunting, hold still your enthusiasm and look for vintage versions.

I have to add to the ones mentioned Maxim's Pour Homme as well as Fendi and Gianfranco Ferre. Balenciaga is, by far, the best one of all the powerhouses I tried - amazing sillage and longevity, with a style along Ted Lapidus and Kouros, without the annoying pineapple note of the first and the urinal cake note of the later. It is discontinued, but if you can get hold of a bottle, don't think it twice, get is ASAP.

Have fun!

Interesting topic as my SOTD is the legendary Obsession. Reformulated or not, in addition to just smelling great, I can think of few more "powerful" scents...Lapidus PH is another strong contender. As is Knize 10.

Two words: Yatagan