Code of Conduct

Default My friend's 33... Is it time to gently move her on from the Body Shop's White Musk?

One of my best friends has worn the Body Shop's White Musk for years. I had been encouraging her to explore alternative musk scents, but she remained loyal to that nostalgic scent of her teens. But lo! they appear to have reformulated it, and her recent replacement brought her out in a rash. Any suggestions on new scents I can point her towards?

Default Re: My friend's 33... Is it time to gently move her on from the Body Shop's White Musk?

Coincidentally, this is also my sister's only scent (she's 51). Haven't been able to move her from it. She thinks it's the only good scent around, and hates anything I wear. BUT, she is strange like that.

You might suggest something similarly soft and comfy like Sonoma Scent Studio Opal or Ava Luxe Love's true bluish light, or maybe Apres l'Ondee?

Good Luck!
    Hearts starve as well as bodies; give us bread, but give us roses.
    ~~James Oppenheimer~~

Default Re: My friend's 33... Is it time to gently move her on from the Body Shop's White Musk?

Thanks so much Lessa! White Musk clearly inspires fierce loyalty. Your idea for something soft and comfy is a good one - it does make me think of fluffy jumpers and innocent smooches! I'm in the UK and don't know the first two you mentioned, but I've been dying to try Apres L'Ondee (for myself) for an age. I think she would find that intimidatingly expensive though... Maybe Narcisco Rodrigues For Her would be an easily available, accessible musky scent - a bit more elegant and sexy? Musc Ravageur?

Those would all be good calls, and maybe SJP Lovely as well.
    Hearts starve as well as bodies; give us bread, but give us roses.
    ~~James Oppenheimer~~

Agree with the Narciso Rodriguez and SJP Lovely, haven't tried the others mentioned. I'd like to add Dolce & Gabbana Feminine and Les Nereides Musc de Samarkand, both delightful and inexpensive too.

I second Sonoma Scent Studio's Opal.
    Last edited by Haunani; 24th March 2010 at 04:37 AM.

As it happens, I started a thread a few months ago asking for white musk recommendations. I got a *lot* of great tips. Take a look!

Personally, I dislike the type of musk used in Lovely and the NRs, but it's worth a try. From what I tried, Reminiscence Musc, Montale White Musk and Madini White Musk are in the same vein as TBS White Musk: semi-sweet, slightly floral, soft and powdery. Very different, but very nice indeed is Opal: chewy lemon and vanilla to go with the musks.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Thank you so much for that - sorry, I'm new to this site and hadn't searched properly through the existing threads - that's given me a great list to take to her... though I don't know whether we'll be able to find a lot of them to try in London...
    Thanks!

Very nice musk is used in Lorenzo Villoresi Musk -- and many more good quality ingredients -- this coming from the modern musks hater.

Eva Pasco

I applaud anyone who has found their Holy Grail scent...

Quote Originally Posted by RRB View Post
    Thank you so much for that - sorry, I'm new to this site and hadn't searched properly through the existing threads - that's given me a great list to take to her... though I don't know whether we'll be able to find a lot of them to try in London...
    Thanks!
    It can be quite hard to find what you need using the search function, don't worry!
    London has a ridiculous amount of perfume shops, so you should be able to find most of the recs there. Try this map.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

White Musk fans tend to be very loyal :) How about an arabian white musk? In London there's Arabian Oud on Oxford Street or Al Qurashi in Knightsbridge. I'm not sure if they do White Musk per se but they should have light, floral musks aplenty. Or, for a few pounds, pick up some 5ml oil/attar samples on ebay.