Code of Conduct

Thread: Angelica

Default Angelica

Angelica note ,a very fine ,delicate and intense note.My favorites including this note:Paloma Picasso,
    L'or de Torrente,,Balmya By Pierre Balmain and Jeanne Arthes Guipure &Silk.There is also Ambre Sultan by Lutens.

Post Re: Angelica

More info about Angelica's plants:
    Varieties are grown as flavoring agents or for their medicinal properties. The most notable of these is Garden Angelica (A. archangelica), which is commonly known simply as angelica. Natives of Lapland use the fleshy roots as food and the stalks as medicine. Crystallized strips of young angelica stems and midribs are green in colour and are sold as decorative and flavoursome cake decoration material, but may also be enjoyed on their own. The roots and seeds are sometimes used to flavor gin. Its presence accounts for the distinct flavor of many liqueurs such as Chartreuse.
    Seacoast Angelica (A. lucida) has been eaten as a wild version of celeryhttp://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/13/Illustration_Angelica_silvestris0.jpg

Default Re: Angelica

Thank you for the info.
    A perfume I have been wanting to sample contains this note. Guerlain's Angelique Noire. I am hoping to get to Neiman Marcus or Bergdoff to see if they have it so I can sample it. I have no clue what the note Angelica smells like.

I've just got some angelica root eo and its a wierd one! earthy, animalic, slightly celery seedy, i'm going to make a dilution and see how it is then, cosmi think i will like it more diluted, bluebell

Dependent

Angelica Root: I've experienced widely varying notes in the 3 I've tried. The 2 I didn't like were either rather bare -- like a thinner, more gingery vetiver, or extremely dirty/musky with a persistent sour note. But the really good one is wonderful, steam distilled from England I believe. It's round and dry, with the herbal angelica note and vegetal musk.

Angelica Seed: Rare and expensive. No one seems to talk about this one. Terrific balance between celery seed and angelica root, and includes a good dollop of the mystery and depth of the latter.

One of my wife's favorite notes in fragrances.

The seed and the root are very different. This is for the root.

Angelica archangelica EO, England from Liberty Naturals, diluted at 10%

It smells like carrots pulled fresh from the dirt. It is vegetal, slightly peppery, mineral / earthy. There is a musty, inky smell.

Like MonkeyBars, I found Angelica EO to vary widely. My first, of angelica root, was absolutely wonderful. Dry, deep, earthy, musty, sparky, uplifting - an odd combination for a root fragrance as they are usually considered grounding. But Angelica derived it's name from its ancient association of being able to put one in touch, or in the realms of the angels. So it was considered a spiritual fragrance. It has a unique grounding uplifting quality to it.

The angelica seed EO reflects the difference usually associated between the root and tops of a plant - the root represents the earth, and seeds the air. And it's true the seed doesn't affect one quite as deeply, is less grounding. The seed eo is airier, affects one's mental processes more.

I fell in love with this fragrance so much that I actually have a hard time with angelica commercial fragrances. It's very hard to maintain the distinct wonder of angelica root eo in a perfume, so instead are always a compromise toward something else. I haven't really found one that highlights the wonder of a good EO. There's nothing wrong with the perfume - but if you are looking to experience angelica, don't look to a perfume. It really is one of those notes that must be experienced undiluted in it's pure form. I like Angelica so much I prefer mine straight up, and haven't really found any perfume that highlights it well.

That being said, Angelica does bring a subtle interesting character to commercial fragrances. I think Angéliques Sous La Pluie by Malle is probably my favorite at this point.