Code of Conduct

Default I Talked About Perfume in My SAT Essay

I took the SAT on March 13.
    The prompt was a question: Does passionate expression lead to success?
    My answer: Yes.
    Proof: "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain
    Explanation: Guerlain is a very well-known and long lived perfume house, and their passionate endeavors have lead them to success. If something as abstract as perfume can be instilled with passion and then prove to be successful, clearly passion plays a part in one's success.

Needless to say I was happy I could remember a quote, and this is proof that fragrance isn't such a bad obsession at all .
    If fragrance has a gender, so does all art.

Default Re: I Talked About Perfume in My SAT Essay

Haha creative! Im taking my SAT in May I might have to make a fume reference to keep me entertained
    Live a wonderfully perfumed life!

You know you're a Basenoter when...

Great answer!

Very good answer! It reminds me, I have to come up with a relevant article, that proposes something controversial for a Political Science class. I think I'm gonna use one about the Detroit banning of fragrance.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Hahaha, great quote.

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    Very good answer! It reminds me, I have to come up with a relevant article, that proposes something controversial for a Political Science class. I think I'm gonna use one about the Detroit banning of fragrance.
    Aha! Maybe that will come in handy when I take the ACT! Who knows what the prompt will be then

LOL! Those people who score those tests might have a problem with the stretch of metaphor, so be careful. The average Joe--who is not a perfume not--might not be able to relate.

They do like quotes to start, though.

Best of luck of your score and outcome.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    LOL! Those people who score those tests might have a problem with the stretch of metaphor, so be careful. The average Joe--who is not a perfume not--might not be able to relate.

They do like quotes to start, though.

Best of luck of your score and outcome.
    I hope my Great Gatsby and Diego Rivera references anchored down my idealistic connection!

I get my score April 1st-- thanks for the wishes!

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I don't know exactly what you wrote, of course, but it seems to me as an English teacher that the quality of your writing (as to mechanics and fluency of expression) is pretty good. How the exam readers regard these factors vis-ŕ-vis theme, organization, development, and exposition is another matter. I've been a reader for exams, of course, but never for the SAT.

Anyway, it was a bold move, and that should gain you some respect. Originality should count for something. For what it's worth, I don't think you strayed at all from the prompt. The passion of a great artisan or artist often does lead to success, especially in terms of fame, but also often in terms of material gain. I don't think the Guerlain clan are hurting for change; certainly not at those prices!

As a guy who seems passionate about poetry, you might experience some success of your own. Passion alone might not be enough, but it often provides the dedication to craft and skill that can make for great success. Poetic vision — ah, now there's the elusive, ineffable element in that formula, the rare and fleeting top note that makes for greatness.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cćlum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

Well, you answered in the affirmative, so you have that going for you. And beginning with a quotation is never a bad idea. The SAT readers know what they want, and they certainly don't want to hear about the passionate poets, artists, or entrepreneurs who fail miserably at what they do. Of course, the sad fact is that most do. What makes passion wonderful and amazing, however, is failure seldom deters the truly passionate.

Awesome
    good thing I didn't have to go through the SAT
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

I hope you did well on your SAT.

Basenotes Plus

Pretty good answer IMO, though a little mathematical in approach. Would love to read the rest of the essay though...

Quote Originally Posted by Hasupk@gmail.com View Post
    Awesome
    good thing I didn't have to go through the SAT
    True that. I'm so glad that I took the SATs a few years before they adopted the new format. I hate it. Plus the addition of the essay, would NOT suit my strong points, I hate having to write about a prompt in a set period of time.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense