Code of Conduct

Default How wide is your range?

Hello all:

I was just wondering about the range of fragrance types that people like here. Do you have a wide range of types that you like, or do you only like certain types and dislike others? I'm not sure I know yet, although I seem to favor certain types over others: woody, aquatic, clean, and lightly sweet, for example, but not spicy, leathery, flowery, and foody. I realize that this is an oversimplification because the lines are blurred and any fragrance type can be presented in many different ways, so I try to keep an open mind.

How about you?

Thanks.

Default Re: How wide is your range?

I don't like too sweet, I don't like too powdery, I don't like Tobacco at all. And Ambergris I find annoying, although I'll put up with it.

Pretty open-minded about these things. I'll try 'em all. Basenotes is a great way to find your way through these things. Since becoming more active on BN I've found that members' popular consensus is usually right on. I've found several new favorites from this site. Thanks Basnoters!

Only limitations on my range: generally, no celebrity-marketed fragrances. Not too keen on modern aquatics. Boring releases by the big, corporate-owned designer houses -- no thanks. No need to name names on that count.

I have quite a wide range.. but my all time favorite classifications would be woodsy, oriental, leather/tobacco and some sweet and some spicy -- frags like Fahrenheit, Terre d'Hermes, Corduroy, John Varvatos, Cigar, Zero Plus, Tommy Bahama, B*Men, Jacomo de Jacomo Rouge, Le Male etc.. etc...
    Rather than to go through all those classifications.. I just consider these "BOLD" colognes, used to make a statement.
    Last edited by The_Cologneist; 24th March 2010 at 01:04 AM.

I like nearly everything. Just not grapefruit.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

I like all , my least favorite are aquatics

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

I'm most definatly into the nauseatingly sweet scents.
    The sweeter and heavier the better.
    I do not loathe fresh/summer/citrus scents, I just hate
    wearing them ... I'm most def. a winterfrag kinda guy!

I love leathery, smoky, spicy... some spicy sweet (but not too sweet)... am not too fond of heavy aldehydic or indolic scents but do love more natural floral scents; oud, resin, incense... and I'm sure that if the right perfumer designed it, I'd be fond of aquatics ... but not crazy about them, though I have a fondness for "clean" (pure?) scents. Don't really dig the gourmands (I'd rather eat than smell, really.) Don't care for obviously synthetic anything. Love woody, fougere, cyphres... and "masculine" scents seem to be my faves.

(but I can make exceptions! Opium is one of those exceptions, as is the vintage Ma Griffe.)
    Last edited by actiasluna; 24th March 2010 at 01:16 AM.
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

From AdP Colonia to Green Irish Tweed to Amouage Lyric to Musc Ravageur to Nasomatto Duro to Carnal Flower

I visited alot of olfactory places just then.
    Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good.

The only notes I cannot abide are those that make a fragrance too foody. I don't like smelling like a snickerdoodle. I favor the Oriental category, I especially like scents that smell Middle Eastern or Mediterranean. I have no problem with aquatics, or synthetics. Synthetics that smell good are better than natural essences that do not smell good.
    Snarky is as snarky does.

I like to try everything, but I have a strong slant towards the dark and heavy and away from the light and fresh in my tastes.

Most of my favorites are...

Heavy Orientals
    Florientals
    Heady Florals
    Dark Chypres

I often like, but rarely love...

Fougeres
    Light Chypres
    Gourmands
    Light Orientals
    Green Fragrances

I'm ambivalent or apathetic towards...

Citrus
    Light Florals
    Skin Scents

I generally avoid...

Aquatics
    Powdery Fragrances

My tastes are less catholic than most people's here, but they are widening daily. I have a deep love for vetiver scents, classic chypres, and barbershop fougeres. Everything else I'm growing into appreciation for.

Regards,
    T

I'm willing to try anything but there are a few genres I would generally not purchase. Foody gourmands, pretty florals (with a couple exceptions), and aquatics. I tend to lean toward aromatic fougere and woody basenotes.

If i'm bored I sometimes look over others wardrobes. It's fun to learn their preferences and how they relate to your own. I like to find those with similar tastes to my own and use their wardrobe for sampling ideas.

My tastes are very broad. The only two genres I don't like are acquatics and gourmands, but even with those there are a few I like.

Basenotes Institution

Very wide tastes. I naturally gravitate to the edgy, modern scents but in the end I judge with my nose.

I like lots of perfumes, but I have very few aquatics and no gourmands.

Fairly wide. I naturally like more wood and oriental fragrances, but I really try to expand my tastes.

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    I like nearly everything.
    Same here.

Here's what I won't wear: strong lavender, green frags with strong violet leaf (Grey Flannel/GIT), gourmands with lavender, aquatics, heavily animalic (Kouros), strong floral (other than orris/iris, which I like), severe vetiver (Encre Noir), and lately any really strong wood note.

It gets wider every day.
    From no 19 to patchouli oil to Kouros...evolution is what makes this obsession intriguing.

No incense and mint for me.

Anything but aquatics. I hope I overcome that at least for Cool Water, but I cannot shake the association it bears with people I dislike.
    If fragrance has a gender, so does all art.

I tend to not favour fragrances that are lemony and aquatic (as in sporty/fresh), very dusty dry or contain huge white flowers, but there are exceptions to every rule.

I don't like a dominant vetiver either.
    Last edited by tott; 24th March 2010 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Vetiver.

Very wide range with the exception of "Attack of the 50 Foot Killer White Flowers", "tropical" tutti frutti frags and aquatics (I do love Giacobetti's Préparation Parfumée and En Passant, though).
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by bossanova_boy View Post
    The only notes I cannot abide are those that make a fragrance too foody. I don't like smelling like a snickerdoodle. I favor the Oriental category, I especially like scents that smell Middle Eastern or Mediterranean. I have no problem with aquatics, or synthetics. Synthetics that smell good are better than natural essences that do not smell good.
    pretty much what bossanova boy said, adding that I generally prefer complex floral scents over soliflors and don't want to wear anything that smells like a church of any denomination. But I'll sniff anything once.

Quote Originally Posted by cmax View Post
    I like all , my least favorite are aquatics
    Same here...
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Cool Re: How wide is your range?

They're wide enough.
    I seem to favor orientals but that's an oversimplification.
    It's really a matter of personal taste, and how well made I believe the fragrance is.
    in short, I favor whatever smells great on me and is " objectively " at least a 5 star juice.

To quote Oscar Wilde:

" I have the simplest taste. I am always satisfied with the best. "

Cheers,

Mario
    Last edited by Mario Justiniani; 24th March 2010 at 08:09 AM.
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Pretty much trying to cover everything here, yet avoiding too sweet frags- notable exception: good quality gourmands

Only smell I can rarely put up with is vetiver. it's a shame really, and I'l keep on trying but I have yet to come across a vetiver based scent that I enjoy. (I do appreciate it on others though).

aquatics are alright, IF well done. There are few, but those I like.

In general, I found myself leaning to the oriental side of things, as well as leather, sensual/boozy and musky.

Incense is nearly always a big thumbs up for me.

My wardrobe is just that......a fragrance wardrobe that is large enough and diverse enough that I can tailor it to meet the social/seasonal demands of daily life in my city (and beyond). I enjoy all types of fragrances with the exception of one: AQUATICS. There are only two aquatics that I find to be acceptable. One is "Roots for Him", an the other is Blu Stremo by Carlo Corinto.

My favorite category = Orientals.
    Last edited by SillageMonger; 24th March 2010 at 11:29 AM.

Very eclectic taste. Prefer leather in the base, however, so Habit Rouge, Aramis, Versace l' Homme etc. are all winners.

Thanks very much for your responses. I enjoy reading everyone's opinions and appreciate the diversity this site has to offer. That really is one of the best things about basenotes.

I think I need to try more incense fragrances. I have a few that I like but haven't ventured very far into that category.

Thanks again.

I have a wide range. I enjoy a bit of everything, even things that are poles apart from each other.

Ranging from manure to candyfloss. (Barnyard ouds to L'artisan's Vanilia or that Britney Spears one I can't recall)

...Soapy clean to bodily filth/skank. (C16 to MKK)

...Watery to syrupy. (Giacobetti to Sheldrake)

...Synthetic to natural (Al Oudh to oudh)

...And even from near-total transparency to an impenetrable wall of scent. (Jean Claude Ellena to pretty much most of the 80's)

Aquatics are sometimes okay too, but no screechy synthetic fruits please! Those types of watermelon, grape, and strawberry smell should stay in Jolly Ranchers and not be in perfumes. Shoo!