Code of Conduct

Default Making a blind buy soon.

This list is probably gonna be all over the place, as I have no idea what most of them smell like..
    I'm gonna buy one of the following.. I just haven't decided which.

Carlos Santana

Hummer

Romeo Gigli Man
    Watt Blue
    Dunlop Sport

Today Tomorrow Always (Avon)
    Zino

I'm mostly into stuff like Fahrenheit, Corduroy, Tommy Bahama, etc.. Although I could really use a great long lasting aquatic or fruity scent. I haven't tried any of these, any suggestions?

-Also I try to avoid the big powerhouses like Quorum, Grey Flannel, and such -- with those abnormally strong opening mossy like notes.

Thanks guys.. I'll be giving Today, Tomorrow, Always a try.
    Last edited by The_Cologneist; 3rd April 2010 at 11:53 AM.

Default Re: Making a blind buy soon.

Don't blind buy ANYTHING. So many people say ________ is wonderful! When I smelled it, I was very disappointed. The only nose you should trust is your own (unless you don't mind waiting for fragrances that end up sucking, selling, or giving them away)

Yes, it is all over the place. If you like the "old school" woody orientals, Baby Blue Jeans is a great choice if price is a consideration. Samba Sexy for Men is a solid fruity frag (won the FiFi award) that does last a long time. Before spending retail, you should take a look at the swap or sales lists of BNers. I offer "quantity discounts," and I'm sure most others here would.

Oh these prices are far from retail, lol. I have some reputable and trusted resources that I use for some of the lowest prices on the market. All of the above would basically run be around 15 bucks each - some less and some more.

I agree with you Spray to some extent.. but I was very pleased with my blind buy of Jacomo de Jacomo Rouge, thanks to fellow basenoters' reviews. Although most of the reviews on that were unanimous. I think I'm leading toward Romeo Gigli at this point, but I'd like to see what others have to say.

personally there are many others that are better than what you listed
    for aquatic Bvlgari Aqua jumps into mind
    and in terms of fruits, I can't say much as I pretty much dislike anything that smells close to food in fragrances, although unforgivable has a nice water melony note and is fairly nice smelling!
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

^^ I'm aware.. but I'm limited to these atm

I'm not familiar with any of those, but I've heard great things about Zino-- so I'd say go for that.
    If fragrance has a gender, so does all art.

Zino, Carlos Santa, Baby Blue Jeans

You'd probably most enjoy Carlos Santana, Tomorrow, and Zino Davidoff.
    I refuse to sink.

Blind buying is so much fun. Just order Zino and enjoy the anticipation.

Fore sure, Zino. Especially now that it's been discontinued. I don't think you'd be disappointed with Carlos Santana, either. Pierre Cardin Black is nothing special, IMO.

I'd sell many of mine for $6 or $7 (Witness, Everlast Original 1910, Bijan Style, the Samba ones, etc.), so keep that in mind (why pay $15 when you don't have to?).

Quote Originally Posted by Spray View Post
    Don't blind buy ANYTHING. So many people say ________ is wonderful! When I smelled it, I was very disappointed. The only nose you should trust is your own (unless you don't mind waiting for fragrances that end up sucking, selling, or giving them away)
    If I'd have taken this advice at the very start I'd have more money for fragrances that I "love" rather than ones I "don't mind". I say there's no harm in taking your time, sampling a few bits and bobs, then deciding what's right for YOUR nose.

Vermeil would be a good choice.

Quote Originally Posted by boosh View Post
    If I'd have taken this advice at the very start I'd have more money for fragrances that I "love" rather than ones I "don't mind". I say there's no harm in taking your time, sampling a few bits and bobs, then deciding what's right for YOUR nose.
    Absolutely, but many of these are so uncommon or discontinued that I don't have that option.

I've cross many off the list and updated it.. Can anyone possibly compare Zino to something (scent wise)?

Combine Jovan Sex Appeal for Men, Ungaro II, and TdH, and you might get Zino (if you do it right)! LOL.

Romeo Gigli Man is very good. It smells like Paul Smith Story and Mugler Cologne but a little bit more woody

None of these are scents that I would pay much for. just my two scents. Zeno is the best of the bunch, but it sits on my shelf, largely unused.
    There is plenty of opportunity to get bottles of whatever cheap. Why buy just to add another bottle to the collection?
    I say save your cash and save for something better. But Ive never tried the Romeo Gigli Man. Maybe it's one you would get some use of.

-Slim
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

Quote Originally Posted by SlimPickins View Post
    None of these are scents that I would pay much for. just my two scents. Zeno is the best of the bunch, but it sits on my shelf, largely unused.
    There is plenty of opportunity to get bottles of whatever cheap. Why buy just to add another bottle to the collection?
    I say save your cash and save for something better. But Ive never tried the Romeo Gigli Man. Maybe it's one you would get some use of.

-Slim
    I totally agree with you.. in fact I was just browsing at TJ Maxx, not expecting to make a purchace, but I did. I got Nicole Miller, Dirty English and Mustang Blue all for 31 bucks even. But when shopping online -- I'm quite limited, we all know fragrance net doesn't really cut the prices. If I ever paid more than 30 bucks for any bottle of cologne (except Creed) I would be irate with myself. So this is what I have available to me, these are my options.. I don't HAVE to make a purchase, but I figured I'd give something a shot. It's more of a "I've got money to waste" type purchase. I don't care much about any of these, but the same time.. I have yet to try them.