Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Are there really any good cheapies?

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think there is one "amazing" cologne worth 4-5 stars that's cheap. When I say cheap, I'm not talking "I found Polo Blue at Marshall's for 15 bucks" -- I'm talking colognes with a cheap retail price. Avatar, Aspen, Adidas, Gravity, Preferred Stock, Old Spice, Brut, so on and so forth. While all of those have their buyers and fan bases.. I'm talking about the new buyer, trying it for the first time who doesn't have an acquired taste for it.

For example, I'm a long time wearer of Raw Vanilla which is a cheapy.. I enjoy it so much that its negatives don't affect its overall performance to me. Where as the new buyer who's just trying it and searching for a cologne with all of the right things -- initial attraction, notes, longevity, sillage - may end up crossing it off his/her list then and there.

It may seem stereotypical to the type who's not aware of higher end fragrances too, for us to immediately write off stuff from say Coty, Dana, Avon, Brut, Old Spice etc. based on the fact that we are simply just used to better ingredients, better concoctions, less chemicals etc.

I've had so many people on BN message me and say "Well all of the basenoters hate the low end fragrances" But, what they fail to realize is that we know what's out there. We don't dislike them because they're low end, we dislike them because they don't perform well.

Now even as much as I know about colognes, there's still a world of stuff i haven't come close to, are there really any low end fragrances that perform like higher end ones? I'm talking about stuff that's limited to Walmart and Kmart and stores like that. I know I'm gonna hear it.. they sell some of the higher end ones at Walmart, but they didn't 10-15 years ago. I'm talking about the stuff that was meant to stay on the shelves at Walmart, Kmart and be no where else (except maybe online)

Comment please.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Are there really any good cheapies?

Santa Fe by Aladdin Fragrances
    Clubman by Pinaud
    Clubman Special Reserve by Pinaud
    1776 Russian Leather by Elsha
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 24th March 2010 at 08:04 PM.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Post Thanks / Like

^^ Out of those I've tried Santa Fe. I agree with you it's not as "cheap" but it's not my taste either, I refer to Santa Fe as the poor mans Desire.

I think Z-14 is a great buy, but you have to like it, as you said about Sante Fe. Thus, you would need to be more specific. And as I mentioned before, you can just buy from BNers rather than pay even a low retail price. For example, I bought a lot of Everlast Original 1910, so I can sell them cheaply, but it is a high quality frag. Some of the Samba frags are very good. Nova for men is great but has too much lavender for me. I like Heat as well. I don't think much of what I consider "drug store" stuff, such as Brut, but many of these have been cheapened over the years, so that should be taken into account. And let's not forget the Cuba line. Green, Orange, and Red are all great buys. Those frags are at least decent quality. Many like Gold and think it's the best, but I just don't happen to like the notes. Adidas Victory League has a real nice base, similar to Brit and Polo Explorer, for instance.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 24th March 2010 at 08:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    I think Z-14 is a great buy, but you have to like it, as you said about Sante Fe. Thus, you would need to be more specific. And as I mentioned before, you can just buy from BNers rather than pay even a low retail price. For example, I bought a lot of Everlast Original 1910, so I can sell them cheaply, but it is a high quality frag. Some of the Samba frags are very good. Nova for men is great but has too much lavender for me. I like Heat as well. I don't think much of what I consider "drug store" stuff, such as Brut, but many of these have been cheapened over the years, so that should be taken into account. And let's not forget the Cuba line. Green, Orange, and Red are all great buys. Those frags are at least decent quality. Many like Gold and think it's the best, but I just don't happen to like the notes. Adidas Victory League has a real nice base, similar to Brit and Polo Explorer, for instance.
    All Halston, Cuba, Samba, Adidas, and many other fragrances -- I know where to get all of these for very very cheap, brand new, and reputable. The only Cuba I like is gold. The only Halston I like is Unbound, and from what I've noticed with Adidas frags, they're mostly similar to each other with poor longevity. Though Samba -- I have yet to try any of those, I hear from some that they are actually very well made, while others say they are generic and boring.

To shed some light on the reason for this thread.. I think ultimately it'll help the more common Walmart shopper who browses this forum and is looking for a high quality fragrance with a low retail price.

I like Roger Gallet Extra Vielle. You can find it for around $30 online. Maybe that's outside the range of what you consider cheap -- but it's really great stuff for the money. A classic fragrance, 200+ years old. Love it.

Halston 1-12 is better than Z-14, IMO. I saw a bottle in a fragrance shop for around $25. More versatile than Z-14. Z-14 always strikes me as heavy-piney, like only for cold, snowy weather. Good stuff, but I wouldn't wear it in warm weather. 1-12 is more season-less.

If you want good stuff for cheap, you can try samples. Buy them at fragrance stores, or online at The Perfumed Court, or just bum them from the sales associates at department stores. I've often found that a sample is enough to last me for several wearings; by then I know if I actually want to purchase it. A sample of Jaipur Homme EDP last weekend saved me from making an $80 mistake. Smelled good in the store, smelled good on me, but later I got a bad allergic reaction. Glad I didn't spring for the whole bottle.

The Sambas are a real mixed bag, so I can understand the comments. Some people probably tried one or two of the boring ones, so it makes sense why they wouldn't like those. However, some of them are not generic or boring at all. As I said, Nova and Heat are innovative and technically sound. Sexy won a FiFi award and is competent, but I'd call it borderline generic. Red is very good/technically sound, but doesn't really have a strong base note that I like (or any, for that matter!), so that is the only reservation I have about it. Kiss Me begins with strong lime, and then dries down to a woody/vanillic type base. It's like a more modern version of the Baby Blue Jeans/Lalique Pour Homme idea.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 24th March 2010 at 08:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Jacomo Rouge, Jacomo Deep Blue, Aqua di Selva, Aqua Quorum and Romeo Gigli Man are cheap and good fragrances

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Jacques Bogart Witness
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

L'Occitane Vetiver and Eaux des Baux.

A fresh vetiver EDT, with the Eaux des Baux an incense/cypress scent with sweet tone.

Both under $50.
    Last edited by Primrose; 24th March 2010 at 09:20 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Lynx (Axe) Instinct is actually very good, a sweet leather, women seem to like it on a man. If only they'd do an EDP...
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Some of the Pacifica fragrances are pretty nice (Tuscan Blood Orange is by far my favorite of the line), and they're pretty cheap - about $20 for a one ounce bottle and $10 for a solid tin. I'm not clear, though, on whether they're generally considered unisex.

Pierre Cardin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by leto View Post
    Jacomo Rouge, Jacomo Deep Blue, Aqua di Selva, Aqua Quorum and Romeo Gigli Man are cheap and good fragrances
    I've never seen any of those in Walmart or Kmart. Yes they are "cheaper" but they're not distributed only to Walmart or to Kmart, or some drug stores. All of those as well have retail stickers of over 35 dollars. I'm talking about your Aspen's, your Brut's, your Old Spices.

Post Thanks / Like

YSL Live Jazz is a steal
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Post Thanks / Like

I love cheapie discussions. One of my favorites is Mustang. There are two different fragrance lines with that name, but the one I'm talking about is marketed by a company called Blossom Concepts, is made in Greece, and comes in a metal box with the Ford Mustang logo on it. It smells really good for something you can pick up for 20-odd dollars, and it's available at most discount stores of the type you mention.

I like Antonio Banderas Blue Seduction as well, which is also widely available at the usual suspects. If you are looking for a fruity aquatic cheapie, you might want to check that one out.

Of course, there is always Canoe.

I noticed that my local KMarts are now selling Burberry London, so it seems that the discount stores are moving a bit more up-market in their fragrance selections, as you mentioned.

Post Thanks / Like

Some cheapies i really like:

$5 -
    Master Bay Rum
    Master Lilac Vegetal

$10 -
    Geoffrey Beene Bowling Green
    Aspen

$15 -
    Bogart Pour Homme

$25 -
    Caron L'Anarchiste
    JacquesFfath Green Water
    Roger & Gallet Extra Vieille

On this topic, what is the comparitive scent to Montanta pour Homme (citrus/new blue box) ?
    That's a dirt cheap one I've been scoping...

Post Thanks / Like

There was recently a thread with a lot of (justified) praise for Brut. It's a really good cheapie.

I've worn Sex Appeal and Musk by Jovan, and there's nothing wrong with them as things to smell, but I find them boring through a day.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

As mentioned, Halston Z-14 is a good one.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Canoe is an outstanding pure fougere scent, and it's priced as an el-cheapo drug store scent. I used to hate it, but my tastes have changed since then, and now I think it's one of the best pure fougeres I know of.

Jovan Musk for Men has a certain slutty appeal. Cheap, in more ways than one. Give it a try, but go very slow on the trigger.

Post Thanks / Like

Stetson is also an awesome el-cheapo drug store scent. Ignore Tania Sanchez' cutesy jokes about it being a feminine scent with cowboy boots. It's a floral, and it's damn masculine smelling.

Oops! I should've mentioned Pino Silvestre and Mustang by Dorall.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    Santa Fe by Aladdin Fragrances
    Clubman by Pinaud
    Clubman Special Reserve by Pinaud
    1776 Russian Leather by Elsha
    Haven't tried Sante Fe.

Clubman Special Reserve is an amazing leather scent for the money. $5 + shipping for 6 oz.

Elsha 1776 Russian Leather sells for $38 + shipping, but you get 8 oz. One of my favorites.

Both of these are splash, but I put them in atomizers.

Pinaud Clubman is a classic fougere and very similar to Canoe. I don't care for these cheapos as much as I do vintage Shulton Old Spice cologne. You can find it in 4.2 oz size for $16 + shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-OLD-SPIC...item4839ddd807

If I ever completely busted myself, I could happily live on Clubman Special Reserve and vintage Shulton Old Spice cologne.
    Last edited by Moneysuckle; 25th March 2010 at 09:00 AM.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Whata about Cerruti's 1881, issen't that cheap?!
    I looove it ... but haven't owned it in years!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buzzley View Post
    I love cheapie discussions. One of my favorites is Mustang. There are two different fragrance lines with that name, but the one I'm talking about is marketed by a company called Blossom Concepts, is made in Greece, and comes in a metal box with the Ford Mustang logo on it. It smells really good for something you can pick up for 20-odd dollars, and it's available at most discount stores of the type you mention.

I like Antonio Banderas Blue Seduction as well, which is also widely available at the usual suspects. If you are looking for a fruity aquatic cheapie, you might want to check that one out.

Of course, there is always Canoe.

I noticed that my local KMarts are now selling Burberry London, so it seems that the discount stores are moving a bit more up-market in their fragrance selections, as you mentioned.
    Oh ya, I wanna try the original Mustang. Ironically I just picked up Mustang blue in a 1.7 oz at TJ Maxx tonight for 5.99! Unbeatable.. I bought it blind, it's not bad at all, coming off as a melon/floral synthetic. I may wear it tomorrow to see where it gets me.
    Last edited by The_Cologneist; 25th March 2010 at 02:34 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    Stetson is also an awesome el-cheapo drug store scent. Ignore Tania Sanchez' cutesy jokes about it being a feminine scent with cowboy boots. It's a floral, and it's damn masculine smelling.
    I also find Stetson to be a very nice, 'low rent' fragrance. Everlast Original 1910 by Everlast is definitely my favorite of the cheap ones. This is a very well designed oriental, which smells infinitely more expensive (to me) than its $9.99 USD (for 50 ml) price tag would imply. The fact that it was designed by Antoine Lie of Givaudan probably has something to do with that! http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancedi...er=antoine+lie
    Last edited by SillageMonger; 25th March 2010 at 03:45 AM.

Dependent

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Moneysuckle View Post

Elsha 1776 Russian Leather sells for $38 + shipping, but you get 8 oz. One of my favorites.

Elsha 1776 Russian Leather IS G O O D. Smells more expensive than it costs to buy.

Mesmerize for Men by Avon is another of the really good super-cheapos. If you like Burberry London/Messe de Minuit kinds of frags, it's a must have at the $10 or less ebay prices.

Nothing less than $200 is even worth sniffing.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Post Thanks / Like

All of the following are easily found for under 15 bucks.

Everlast Original 1910
    Cuba Gold/Red
    BOD Body Heat
    Zirh Corduroy
    IZOD for men
    Perry Ellis m
    I refuse to sink.

Post Thanks / Like

Grey Flannel
    Tabac Original
    Daniel Hechter Caractere

Post Thanks / Like

Bruno Banani Magic Man - cheap, but doesn't smell cheap at all, very good evening fragrance.

Oriflame Soul - nice copy of Hugo by Hugo Boss

Oriflame Ascendant - never tried it, but heard very positive opinions about this one.

Post Thanks / Like

Most cheap fragrances are not good. Because they are cheap, they have cheap ingredients too.
    But there are exceptions like:
    The original Old Spice (vintage)
    The original Brut
    Axe Dark Temptation (the only Axe I like)
    Many basenoters consider Yves Saint Laurent fragrances cheap, but they are VERY well made, and last at least 8 hours.
    That's all, for now.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the three fragrances which smell much more expensive than they cost and are worthy of 5-Stars are Geoffrey Beene Grey Flannel - quite linear but so distinctive, fresh and green with bags of staying power. Puig Quorum - wearing it now! Great aromatic, mossy old-school fougere - apply sparingly and it's wonderful! Last but certainly not least - Giorgio Beverly Hills Men - wow! Beautiful, warm, comforting and luxurious with unrivalled sillage and longevity from 1 or 2 sprays - happiness in a bottle!

Quote Originally Posted by Derbyman View Post
    I think the three fragrances which smell much more expensive than they cost and are worthy of 5-Stars are Geoffrey Beene Grey Flannel - quite linear but so distinctive, fresh and green with bags of staying power. Puig Quorum - wearing it now! Great aromatic, mossy old-school fougere - apply sparingly and it's wonderful! Last but certainly not least - Giorgio Beverly Hills Men - wow! Beautiful, warm, comforting and luxurious with unrivalled sillage and longevity from 1 or 2 sprays - happiness in a bottle!
    All very good suggestions. Right on!

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Water by Davidoff is pretty cheap
    A king is not put in a palace before it is adorned. A heart's treasure is unlocked only when that heart is purified.

Another vote for the two Beene frags, and the old Faberge Brut. The current one is okay, but closer to vintage Brut 33 than regular Brut. I'll also add Tabac to the list. It's on the more expensive side of cheap, but still cheap in the grand scheme of things.

Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur gets lots of love round these parts, and it can be had for silly money on the 'Bay. I'm still not entirely convinced on it yet, but my relationship with it is in very early days, having only worn it once.

Post Thanks / Like

Along with all the great frags mentioned in this Post, Agua Brava and Agua Lavanda. 2 Classics by Puig