Code of Conduct

Default Question about Guerlain L'Instant EDT vs. EDP (versatility, progression etc.)

Hi all,

I've been wanting a gourmand fragrance for some reason, and L'Instant caught my eye. I actually bought a bottle of the EDT yesterday, but I haven't had confirmation about it being dispatched yet, and i'm having second thoughts over the EDT vs. EDP.

Apparently the EDT has a citrusy, almost green "cold" opening, and when it dries down it becomes a woody chocolatey "warm" fragrance. Now that sounds pretty damn nice, however i'm not too sure about the contrasting fresh opening with the gourmandy drydown. It just seems a little like it's trying to cover all bases, and in doing so it sounds a bit like it's having an identity crisis.

And then the EDP is apparently a lot more defined as to what it is - a straight up gourmand with the citrus toned down to the point where it's barely noticeable, and replaced with bitter dark chocolate I think?

Basically what i'm asking is, do you think the contrasting notes of the EDT detract from the overall fragrance and make it inferior to the EDP? I like the idea of the EDT being more versatile, especially since winter is coming to an end, but the whole "hot and cold" thing sounds a little confusing really.

Default Re: Question about Guerlain L'Instant EDT vs. EDP (versatility, progression etc.)

I like them both and decided to go with the richer and deeper EdP version. But again, the EdT is great too, it's just a matter of preference.

Default Re: Question about Guerlain L'Instant EDT vs. EDP (versatility, progression etc.)

I agree that both are quite good... the EDP is definitely the more gourmand of the two IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Smeghead View Post
    Basically what i'm asking is, do you think the contrasting notes of the EDT detract from the overall fragrance and make it inferior to the EDP?
    No, not at all. I think that as a result of more contrasting notes, this just goes to show the high skill level involved in crafting such a fine blend of notes. I've owned both bottles and agree that the EdT is moe versatile, thus being my favourite of the two. The EdP is just way too chocolate-ty IMO. If you do decide to use it, go easy on the trigger. I still find myself sometimes craving the EdT to this day, wonderful stuff!

Blog Entries

Do you know where here in the U.S. I can find the eau de parfum of L'Instant? I've looked seemingly everywhere, but I can't locate it. I have the edt (and love it!). Thanks!

Well, I got the EDT today. Nice fragrance, although is it just me or is it veeeeeeeery similar to Gucci Pour Homme I? It's got that exact same spicy wood feeling I get from GPHI.

I have and enjoy both. The EdT is an everyday thing for me, and the EdP is more of a 'night out' variation.

The EdP (aka "Extreme") is very hard to find in the US. I found mine online as a tester bottle.

To oversimplify the difference: They are clearly the same basic fragrance, but the EdP adds a huge slug of patchouli (refined and cocoa-like, not hippyish/earthy) and is even sweeter and more gourmand.

To me, the EdT has a fresh green opening, whereas the EdP's patchouli blends into a sort of olfactory illusion that suggests strawberry jam in the topnote. Wonderful.