Code of Conduct

Default your favorite Comme des Garcons?

Which if the Comme des Garcons do you think are a must sniff? I'm planning a trip to Barneys to try out the line, but my problem is that after sniffing about four sniffs or so, my nose shuts down (or at least I'm less able to detect subtleties), and coffee beans don't really help. Therefore, I have to make each sniff count I'm looking for two kinds of fragrances: looking for 1. Spring office fragrance. It doesn't necessarily have to be inoffensive or "boardroom", just not out of place. 2. Favorite all around fragrance, regardless of season/setting. I'm planning on:

1. Play
    2. Red Series - Sequoia
    3. Comme des Garcons Original
    4. ?

Any suggestions?

Default Re: your favorite Comme des Garcons?

I think CdG 2 is one of the house's best. Not CdG 2 Man, just CdG 2. CdG 3 is pretty good too, but CdG 2, sold in edp these days has a rich inky element that I really like. I've liked the edt of it better, but the edp is all of its elements right too.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

I like most of them alright, but have only really been drawn to CdG Man and original and then Avignon. Daphne was great too.
    If fragrance has a gender, so does all art.

Sequoia then Artek.

My top four CdG's:

Stephen Jones
    Original EdP - or - White ( they are similar, and if you're prioritizing try one or the other )
    Hinoki
    Avignon

For spring, I'd recommend Stephen Jones ( bitter violet ), Hinoki ( green cedar ), Calamus ( leafy green ), and CdG White over CdG Original ( both are spicy oriental, but White is lighter ).

I'm a big fan of CdG

CdG 2 is one of the best creations in CdG perfume world. A Japanese ink scent that is totally wearable.

CdG eau de parfum original is great, too. A great cinnamon scent.

I also love Rose from Red series. A little feminin for my taste, but this rose smells so clean, fresh, and bright. It is good for summer.

Tea from Leaves series is a good tea scent. It is pure, milky, and enjoyable.

Kyoto and Avignon from Insence series are two beautiful and diffirent incense based scents.

8 88, smell of Gold, which is metalic, dry, hot but also cold. Another great incense scent from CdG.

Tar, from Synthetic series, is a daring scent. It is complex, strange, and very very attractive.
    Last edited by chocolateguy; 25th March 2010 at 03:51 AM.

My personal favourite is Kyoto - I bought it when it was released and I can't help referencing every 'temple incense' style scent to it since - IMO a classic. I'd suggest try Kyoto & Avignon, but maybe after the others. The Tea one is quite nice if you like that style. If you are even remotely tempted to try the Luxe Patchouli please save it to the very, very end . . . very dense, this is not a favourite
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 25th March 2010 at 05:04 AM.

The original Comme des Garçons EdP is #1 for me.

My other favourites include Leaves Series Calamus and Tea, Red Series Carnation and Sequoia and the whole Incense Series (with the exception of Jaisalmer).

Oops, forgot Hinoki!
    and Synthetic Series Skai, Sherbet Series Rhubarb...
    Last edited by tigrushka; 25th March 2010 at 05:06 AM. Reason: adding
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Kyoto is beautiful but I've been spending some time with Laurel lately and I really recommend sampling it.

I am a big CdG fan. After living with most of them for a while these are the ones I still wear with any regularity:
    1. Avignon
    2. Odeur 53
    3. Skai
    4. 2Man
    5. Palisander
    6. Original EDP
    7. Harissa

Used to wear Kyoto a lot, but now I find it a little stale and overwhelming.
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

My two favorites nowadays from CdG are:

Avignon
    Jaisalmer

But, I also like: Sequoia, Palisander, 2 Man, Kyoto, Vetiveru, Peppermint and Hinoki.

I remember now, Zagorsk gets a lot of my respect. I went for Kyoto big time, but then Zagorsk came and took me to a different church. The stuff of wonders.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

The only one I own is Odeur 71. It is one of the most unique fragrances in my collection. A strange, slightly greasy, musky, woody, metallic scent, that is really easy to wear. I have and use the shower gel of CdG 2 Man, love the brightness of it in my morning shower.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

The original Comme des Garçons EdP
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

There are lots of really good ones (and interesting ones, not necessarily the same ones :-) in this line; you might need two trips.

I would suggest trying White before CdG parfum. It's mellower and a lot more wearable. You have to really love clovey, in-your-face spices (a bit like Piper Nigrum, but more pronounced) for CdG parfum.

Standard and Dover Street Market are peas in a pod, great office scents both. 2Man is a bit more muscular but very nice. Reminiscent of Le Labo Vetiver 46 and to a much lesser extent, Gucci Pour Homme. I would finger 2Man, Kyoto, and Standard as the overall must-tries.

I like CdG 2 (non-Man) as well and have a decant, but I find it too feminine to wear regularly.

That's just the short list! 3, Stephen Jones, Avignon, Ouarzazate, Soda, all good.

I love:

2 Man
    Stephen Jones Millinery
    Artek Standard
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 25th March 2010 at 06:34 AM.

I own and very much love 2Man and Vettiveru
    Last edited by jathanas; 26th March 2010 at 05:00 AM. Reason: Typo correction
    Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good.

Basenotes Institution

CdG Fan Club Member here.

I say, try all of them, when you can. As far as a Spring Scent, I'd try: Calamus (Series 1: Leaves), Vettiveru (Series 4: Cologne) and/or Scent One: Hinoki. Favorite all around fragrance? Try anything from the Incense Series, all five are some of the best that CdG has to offer. Avignon (Series 3: Incense), a Bertrand Duchaufour creation, is my favorite. It's a frankincense lovers wet dream.

Play is fun, with that wonderfully weird industrial plastic mixed with Tang-juice-drink smell, but after a while it failed to sustain continued interest in me. Comme des Garcons EdP is one of my favorite, but it is so extremely spicy and medicinal, I would recommend getting a decant of it and testing it out several times before investing in a bottle.

Good luck!

soooo many of them... just love this house!

i havent tried everything from this line...but of what i have, the entire Inense Series, CD2 Eau de Parfum, Lily, Hinoki, Odeur 53 et al.

The very that there are so

First of all Sequoia, big love, especially in warmer weather. Cool frag, great for work.

Absolutely wonderful, powerful, delicious: Monocle Scent Two: Laurel.

Luxe Patchouli: a scent that makes you feel like a Sixties Rockstar. No nostalgia, just sex. Jim Morrison would have loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    My two favorites nowadays from CdG are:

Avignon
    Jaisalmer

But, I also like: Sequoia, Palisander, 2 Man, Kyoto, Vetiveru, Peppermint and Hinoki.
    Agree.

Adding both of the Luxe series to my favorites, though I imagine Luxe: Patchouli might be a better one all-round unless you're really into the unabashed floral of Luxe: Champaca

Thanks all of your replies. I'm looking for something to rotate with Bleecker St right now, so I think I'll start with Stephen Jones and Hinoki. 2 Man and Original (or white) seem to be the next must tries. If my nose is still functional, I'll then do Avignon and Kyoto. Looks like it will definitely take more than one trip. I look forward to getting to know CdG

PS feel free to keep making recommendations.

CdG 2, CdG MAN, CdG original, very enjoyable.
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

I really like Avignon a lot, but this house as a whole is very nice.

I regret selling my 2Man. But this thread has me jonesing for either the CDG the original (I read spices, honey and cinnamon) and maybe Avignon. I liked that bite in 2Man. I am trying to wrap my head around how the original or 2 or Avignon or Kyoto would smell. Can someone compare them to a scent that I might have run across?
    Last edited by finsfan; 26th March 2010 at 12:18 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by finsfan View Post
    I regret selling my 2Man. But this thread has me jonesing for either the CDG the original (I read spices, honey and cinnamon) and maybe Avignon. I liked that bite in 2Man. I am trying to wrap my head around how the original or 2 or Avignon or Kyoto would smell. Can someone compare them to a scent that I might have run across?
    CDG EdP (the original) is not really like any other scent...the way that the spices mix with that honey and resins is almost terpinous in nature. The only other scent which is close, in dosage of spices, is perhaps L' Eau by Diptyque.

I think Olibanum by Profumum and Cardinal by Heeley are very close to Avignon. But I still like Avignon the best.

Avignon
    ~Mark~

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    CDG EdP (the original) is not really like any other scent...the way that the spices mix with that honey and resins is almost terpinous in nature. The only other scent which is close, in dosage of spices, is perhaps L' Eau by Diptyque.
    I definitely agree about CdG original not being at all like 2 Man - to my nose, they're completely unrelated fragrances. I can see the comparison with L'Eau. L'Eau gets on my nerves in a way CdG EdP doesn't, though, so it's quite possible to like one and not the other.
    Last edited by Sugandaraja; 26th March 2010 at 03:04 PM.

Hinoki. Love it.