Code of Conduct

Default Why I love Bertrand Duchaufour.

Since joining Basenotes I have had my eyes, and particularly my nose, opened
    to a new world of sensory delights. I have smelled perfumes I would never have
    known how to access and have come to know what I like and what I don't.
    The perfumer who has given me the most delight and who has stretched my
    cerebral appreciation of scents to the max has to be Bertrand Duchaufour.

It all began with Sienne l'Hiver. I had never experienced anything quite like this before.
    I got the whole picture dancing in my head and, even if it had been called something
    else, I would have recognised the atmosphere of a mediterranean cobbled street in
    the cool season. The very unusual greasy smell of olive mixed with the odour of hay and truffles -
    wow! These were unusual, nose-tickling ingredients; this was the composition of a true genius.

Then I found his other works : Timbuktu, Avignon, Jubilation XXV, Paestum Rose, Baume du Doge - all these infused with the same incense theme - meditative and introspective.
    Dzongkha, which reveals his affinity with Buddhism and Asia.
    Flora Bella for Lalique - sensuous and tropical..
    Amaranthine for Penhaligon - I have to admit this one blew me away! Very voluptuous and quite "naughty" for
    such a stuffy old perfumery. Who would have expected it?
    Havana Vanille - arguably his best composition for l'Artisan Parfumeur.

Bertrand also uses a variety of unusual, rare flowers, oils and woods in his perfumes:-
    Karo Karounde, Elemis, Wenge wood, Davana and even condensed milk! He is always pushing the
    boundaries of our olfactory experiences.

When I read recently that Duchaufour was also a photographer and a portrait and landscape painter and that he rarely wears perfume himself, except maybe occasionally Dior Homme (my favourite men's scent) I knew I had found a twin soul. Dior Homme is a brilliant scent and for him to say so makes it even more special in my eyes.

Yes I'll admit it - I'm a star-struck fan and would give my right arm to meet M. Duchaufour and talk perfume with him (in French even!)

I pray that L'Artisan Parfumeur will cherish and appreciate his genius. I look forward to more of his glorious compositions.

Default Re: Why I love Bertrand Duchaufour.

Count me in as a fan. I agree that Havana Vanille is BD at his zenith.

Basenotes Institution

I'm a fellow Duchaufour fan too. He is one of the handful of perfumers who's creations always spark my interest to sample. I don't like all of them, but I rarely feel neutral about them. They are pretty much love/hate scents on me - and this excites me. Because usually what happens is that something I hate evolves, over time, into something I love.

My very favorite Duchaufour scent? No question: Avignon (Series 3: Incense) by Comme des Garcons

Duchaufour and Ellena are easily my two favorite noses currently. As Mike said I don't necessarily like every single thing they do but I like most of it. Plus these are artists who stay true to the way they want to do things.

My favorite Duchaufour is a toss-up between Jubilation XXV and Havana Vanille.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

I'm a big of Duchaufour as well. I was introduced to Timbuktu well before my basenotes days, and to this day, it makes me weak in the knees.

I'm not crazy about Havana Vanille, but I do agree that BD is a very talented guy. I love Timbuktu and also the one he did for Aedes de Venustas.

I'm looking forward to smelling the new vetiver he's working on for L'Artisan (if that was more than a rumor)

I'm wearing Avignon today, and there are a couple in his list that are definitely on my must sample list; Amaranthine and his Eau De Vervaine reformulation for Penhaligon's and Dzongkha for L'Artisan.

It's weird, I don't particularly care for any one BD scent. My favorite is probably Jubilation XXV and I do like it and wouldn't mind owning it but don't feel compelled to do so. I don't really care for Timbuktu, Fleur de Liane goes completely rancid on my skin, and everything else I've tried by him hasn't worked on me. And yet, even so I still find that he's one of the best perfumers out there today. His scents, although not ever perfectly aligning with my tastes, are unique and fairly innovative.

I've got to try more of his creations. I'm sure there's one out there I'll love.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

I agree with Mike, my favorite is Avignon. I have not tried many of his perfumes but Paestum Rose, Sienne L'Hiver, and Dzongkha are very nice. I am getting a sample of Jubilation XXV in the next few days. I have been wanting to try the Aedes de Venustas, but it has eluded me.
    Evenstar

Hillaire

Thanks for the bio bits. I found that really interesting. He intrests me and I anticipate his work, though I am only a fan of a couple of his scents (Jubilation, Dzonkha, and Paestum Rose), and most of them I just "don't get"; e.g., Havana Vanille, those olive juice Eau d'Italie scents, and most of the L'Artisans.

I'm a fan, too. Timbuktu was the scent that made me take notice and I knew I would love Dzongkha before I even tried it (and I did, too). Fleur de Liane is also very impressive.
    Last edited by tigrushka; 26th March 2010 at 05:33 AM.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Vanille Absolument was the surprise of my life. I never would think about trying a fragrance with a dominating vanille note. I bought the sample, because I was looking for a birthday present for my friend who loves vanille. I immediately fell in love with this fragrance. I don't know all Douchaufour fragrances. But being in love with Traversee du Bosphor, Patchouli Patch and falling in love with Vanille Absolument now, yes...I am a fan of him.

Blog Entries

The guy is a genius, especially his incenses..did he make Messe de Minuit, by any chance?

Dans La Nuit Vers Le Jour Sans Adieu Je Reviens Vers Toi.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleurine View Post
    The guy is a genius, especially his incenses..did he make Messe de Minuit, by any chance?
    Nope - MdM was done by Jacques Flori (who also did Amouage Opus IV and most of the Xerjoff line).
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

I love Traversee du Bosphore, La Belle Helene and the Aedes scent he made. And I'm looking very much forward to sniffing his l'Artisan Mon Numero scents.

I like many of his perfumes (Jub XXV, Timbuktu), but it seems to me that he has recently spread himself too thin and produced many ok, but not great thing. But perhaps that's true of most perfumers; simply, one doesn't talk about them.

cacio

Sur la Plage

Count me as another big fan.

hello there, here, here...here is another fan. Avignon is a staple in my wardrobe, not to talk about Sequoia, Calamus, Sartorial, Dzongkha, Bois D'Ombrie, Paestum Rose....

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

I'm a great fan of "Be duc". My favourite is Dzonka, but I recently fell in love with Sienne. Why, oh why all the original parfums cost so much? I would have bought all Be duc productions.

Another fan. I remember a day when I was at Aedes, and there were a few fragrances that blew my mind. (I was new here and had realized I liked incense fragrances so went out exploring). I bought the Aedes candle because they were out of the fragrance and Dzongkha, came home and looked up everything I liked... and they were all done by him.

He has 2 fans on facebook, including me. Maybe it's not so important having many fans on facebook. I heard that some companies even BUY their fans. Here is the link, if anyone would like to klick on "like"

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bertr...ref=ts&sk=wall

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    I like many of his perfumes (Jub XXV, Timbuktu), but it seems to me that he has recently spread himself too thin and produced many ok, but not great thing. But perhaps that's true of most perfumers; simply, one doesn't talk about them.

cacio
    This is how I feel too.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by Byzantine View Post
    He has 2 fans on facebook, including me. Maybe it's not so important having many fans on facebook. I heard that some companies even BUY their fans. Here is the link, if anyone would like to klick on "like"

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bertr...ref=ts&sk=wall
    Not sure that's a page he put up himself. The quote is lifted from an interview I did of him last year.

I love this video of him talking about Traversee du Bosphore. He seems so earnest and sweet! He also has made videos discussing the Mon Numero scents ... it is just a joy to listen to him.