Code of Conduct

Default Ever regret getting rid of a scent you liked?

I sometimes sell a scent thinking why do I have it, why do I have so many bottles, and thinking that I wont wear it again. Some I regretted. I had the 1st version of Chergui, sold it, got a new bottle which was after the Great Reformulation, and then did not like it as much and rued that I sold the first. Sold my Fumerie Turque and I miss it but not like Chergui.

Some I have bought back and glad I did, like Tauer's L'Air du Desert Morocain. Creeds have come and gone many times, and since I get compliments on GIT and MI, will keep those.

So I am needing a bottle to round me out and thinking I regret selling my Comme Des Garcons 2 Man (and if you know of a great deal on one, contact me?????).

I know there are others out there, so share your story and lemmings.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Ever regret getting rid of a scent you liked?

I regret throwing away nearly full bottles of scents I could not wear, before I knew of Basenotes and before we bought and sold on eBay. The scents are discontinued and I would have liked to be able to pass them along to people who love them.

DeepSilence

yes. I gave up a jaguar(orginal) as a gift to my father.
    Last edited by DeepSilence; 26th March 2010 at 07:34 PM.

Yep, I recently sold a bottle that I regretted selling as I put it in the box to send.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Yes. I sold Michael Kors for men after buying it as I didn't like it at first.

A few months later....

I bought another bottle and now it's one of my favourite fragrances.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Well, I think I want LDDM back

1. Tauer L'Air du Desert Morocain
    2. Serge Lutens Chergui (or is it too much hay, have not had it since it was reforumlated)
    3. Kirdijian Maison Absolue pour le Soir
    4. Frapin Caravelle Epicee- too boozy when I wore a sample but intersting
    5. Frapin 1270 - worried about the butterscotch but then again, it gets great reviews.
    6. Aventus
    7. Mazzolari Vetiver
    8. Mazzolari Lui
    9. Histories de Parfums 1740 Marquis de Sade. - worried about the immortale/maple syurp note

So, pick a number 1 and pick a number 2, if you would. I am thinking I want projection, longevity, no powder and something for fall/winter and early spring, and all around wear and something you want to snuggle up next to if you smelled on someone else. Oh, I have Coromandel and love how it lasts and projects, so you may think Mazz Lui is out. I dont like something too foody.

Way too many times to count. It's like a habit.

Simply never get rid of any scent I like, only the ones I dislike and in this case no regrets.

I'm yet to get rid of any fragrance. Generally when I buy something, I buy it because there's something I specifically liked about it that made me think it was worth it to buy a full bottle. I may overwear something or forget temporarily why I enjoy a fragrance, but I find that generally when I go back to a fragrance months or sometimes even years later, I'll find a new appreciation for it. For instance I almost got rid of D&G By Man after it got discontinued and the market on ebay for it went way up, but recently I've come to appreciate that fragrance again after going years without wearing it. Would've really regretted getting rid of that bottle now since there's nothing better than rediscovering a fragrance you already own.

I do to the ones that never project on me . I usually give them away to friends/family. I cannot stand looking at them staring at my face and saying : " i know you like me , but i'm no good for you " .
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

So far for me it's Saks Fifth Avenue For Him. Got it as a tester forms refill and didn't wear it all that much. It was really nice, got plenty of heads turning while I did wear it and sampled it again and I want it back.
    Imagine there were no hypothetical situations.

SALES THREAD
    Pomegranate Noir 100 ml, 95% full no box - $90

Contact through PM

Definitely, Escada Magnetism, Givenchy Very Irresistible, Swiss Army Altitude. Rive Gauche a bit too!
    The hunt for a Signature Fragrance is not an easy one! I see the light at the end of the tunnel!
    Want to buy! "Nothing?!, well that's a first."

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    I regret throwing away nearly full bottles of scents I could not wear, before I knew of Basenotes and before we bought and sold on eBay. The scents are discontinued and I would have liked to be able to pass them along to people who love them.
    Exactly my thoughts! I have had some good stuff in my past that I just threw out when I decided I was tired of it or got something new. My regret comes in the shape of remembering missed opportunities to pick up difficult to find or discontinued frags now.

The only one that springs to mind was my first bottle of Heritage EDP (original bottle) but, then again, I'm very sure it wasn't the original formmulation. Since then, I've managed to buy back another bottle and it's even better than before.

I did the exact same thing with my preformulated chergui unfortunately. I also sold a big bottle of aventus that was one of the really good batches (I hadn't read about the batch variations yet and now I'm afraid to buy it again because of this).

Always but get over it quickly unless they go discontinued

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    Way too many times to count. It's like a habit.
    +1. For example Amouage Memoir which I received as a swap. Didn`t care for it then, and swapped it away. Some days ago I got a mini-spray, and loved it! Now I have ordered a new bottle!

I regretted getting rid of Rive Gauche, but I've already bought it again, and I'm happy with it. I also "got rid of" Escada Magnetism (by dropping it in my bathroom). I haven't replaced it yet, but I should, as I liked it quite a bit.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Blog Entries

Why would l get rid of a scent l liked?

The only ones l've got rid of are blind buys that l intensely disliked, & l've no regrets there. l would never throw one away, though; they either go to a friend or to the charity shop.

What l do regret is using up bottles of scent years ago that are now impossible to find; for example Shalimar in the limited edition Parfum de Toilette circa 1990. l have never found a formulation as rich & long-lasting as that one. lf only l'd realised what a treasure l had, & kept some for posterity, or at least bought another bottle while l could!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

I've only ever got rid of one and it was one I disliked. "Police Dark". One spray told me all I needed to know as to why it was so cheap.

I gave it to a mate at work who sprayed it on his arm....then spent the next ten minutes trying to scrub the skin off his arm to get rid of the smell!

It then swapped hands again to a 20yo kid in the office. I assume he still has it, but fortunately has never worn it to work!