Code of Conduct

Question Skinny jeans: yay or nay for ladies with muscular legs

After a few seasons of trying very hard to ignore the skinny jean trend, I must admit I've become a fan of the silhouette. Now there are "skinnies" in all manner of fabric and finishing, not just jeans but more formal trousers, cropped pants, evening pants, knit pants, etc. with the same lean silhouette.

As for jeans, I have a problem: muscular calves. Well, I suppose it's a problem vis-a-vis the skinny jean because I have yet to find a brand that will fit over my calves. Does anyone have this problem? Have you found a brand/cut that works on curvier, more muscular legs?
    Beauty is but the sensible image of the Infinite.
    Like truth and justice it lives within us; like virtue and the moral law it is a companion of the soul.
    -George Bancroft {1800-1891 American Historian}

=

current favorites:
    Balmain Jolie Madame, Serge Lutens Muscs Kublai Khan
    =

Default Re: Skinny jeans: yay or nay for ladies with muscular legs

My advice would be to go with slim cut jeans they are generally a safer bet and are just more suitable for people with larger legs,
    I'm male so I won't claim to know much about womens clothes! but out of all my slim cut jeans I prefer my Versace pair as they are a very good cut.

However if you really want to have skinny I would ry Diesel they tend to have a bit more give in them than other brands (from the male range's I have anyway)

UK site but have a look
    http://www.asos.com/Women/Jeans/Cat/...ize=20&sort=-1

I've always thought skinny jeans only work on skinny girls. I think a slim fit would work better if you've got legs more substantial than toothpicks.

<<< not a fan of skinny jeans.

<---- another non-fan of skinny jeans. Way too much reminds of the days of when I used to peg my jeans in school....and that trend lasted about 12 seconds.....

anyway, I prefer the low rise/boot cut look.

Hi, Mochi227! Have you tried some that are made from stretch fabric (that have a little spandex woven in with the cotton)? These may fit more comfortably for you.

I've had good luck with Old Navy Diva cut skinnies. They probably fall more into the "slim straight cut" than "skinny" category, in spite of their name. They're very affordable but durable, too, and they don't look cheap in spite of their price. (They don't have a lot of adornments with bleach, stitching, stones, etc. if that's what you're looking for. They are pretty plain.)

I found some great stretch skinnies at TJ Maxx. Let's hear it for strong, muscular legs!

I had become rather obsessed with the "skinny jean" and went to the Gap yesterday after researching a few affordable options online. Their "Always Skinny" cut is made with 2% spandex I believe. And whaddaya know. They fit. Even over my calves. So I bought a pair and am wearing them today tucked into light brown leather boots. The fit is good and I like the silhouette. For anyone who's been curious about the skinny jean thing but hasn't found a pair that fits a stronger leg, I suggest going to the Gap. I also bought a pair of their "Easy Straight" cut which is a tad roomier than the skinny. This cut is also very nice in either a dark or "destroyed" wash and is very flattering.
    Like truth and justice it lives within us; like virtue and the moral law it is a companion of the soul.

=

current favorites:
    =

Skinny jeans on muscular calves will draw attention to those chunky legs. Definitely a nay, sorry.

Hooray for Muscular Legs! I'm proud of my shapely muscular legs and consider them one of my best features. One person's chunky is another person's HOT!

And congrats, Mochi227, on finding a pair (or two!) that work for you. Thanks for posting back with your results. I'll have to check out The Gap!

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaLovesScent View Post
    Hooray for Muscular Legs! I'm proud of my shapely muscular legs and consider them one of my best features. One person's chunky is another person's HOT!
    I lovvvvvvvvve women with muscular calves. Drives me crazy. But they may not look "right" in the skinny jeans. That look is a bit waif-ish to me.
    Maybe take a couple of friends (men or women) if you try some on and see what they think.

If you got the gams... why not? (my legs have always been shall we say "sausagey" ... I have no muscle tone and the lines are just kind of bleah and my ankles are problematic as in not defined either. THus the "sausage" look.) I'd say that if you're comfortable in skinny jeans and have good definition of your ankles you will probably look great!

Some folks just LURVE the CURVEY muscular look.

(on me, stretch skinnies give me that distinct sausage look and are uncomfortable.) Can you say "5 lbs. of flour in a 4 lb. sack?) :-)
    Last edited by actiasluna; 27th March 2010 at 06:38 PM.
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

If you have confidence you can pull off anything ... personally the skinny jean thing is a bit passe now

Quote Originally Posted by Pour_Monsieur View Post
    If you have confidence you can pull off anything ... personally the skinny jean thing is a bit passe now
    Have to agree. As far as I'm concerned they belong together with the shoulder pads and baggy pants of the 1980s. IMO some things just shouldn't get revived... Just wear whatever works for you, and leave the trends alone. You don't have to be trendy to stay stylish. Better yet, be a trendsetter, not a follower.
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 27th March 2010 at 07:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Have to agree. As far as I'm concerned they belong together with the shoulder pads and baggy pants of the 1980s. IMO some things just shouldn't get revived... Just wear whatever works for you, and leave the trends alone. You don't have to be trendy to stay stylish. Better yet, be a trendsetter, not a follower.
    I remember the first time I visited London and the skin-tight spandex jeans fad was at its height. So many of those followers of fashion should seriously have taken another route!
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

Quote Originally Posted by Pour_Monsieur View Post
    Thanks for saying it first . . . . the trend is DONE

Ha! I knew someone would play the "more fashionable than thou" card eventually.

Fat is not Muscular!

now now wichitacxharles, who said anything about FAT?!

=

current favorites:
    =

Stretch is your friend!

Muscular legs I think do fine in skinny jeans. Fat legs don't (i should know, I've had both!). Just my opinion though! What about denim-look jeggings? They'll be super comfy and s-t-r-e-t-c-h-y!

Quote Originally Posted by goldiloks View Post
    Stretch is your friend!

Muscular legs I think do fine in skinny jeans. Fat legs don't (i should know, I've had both!). Just my opinion though! What about denim-look jeggings? They'll be super comfy and s-t-r-e-t-c-h-y!
    Are we talking 'figure skater- muscular' or Marion Jones sprinter-muscular?

You should wear what you want to wear, I think that muscular calves can pull off skinny jeans, as long as they are not TOO skinny, if you know what I mean (I've seen models that imitate jeans, but are actually cotton tights, yuck), something like a tighter version of bootcut would work?

Thread revive! Saw this in "similar thread" and thought I'd comment.
    My wife has muscular legs and big calves. I love seeing her "American Thighs" and defined calves in Express skinnies, the jean jeggings, and any other tight look. It looks like she works out, is athletic, and let's not mention what else comes to mind.
    Don't let anybody tell you it is out of style. We know better.
    I say rock the skinny jeans, it isn't only for chicken-legs!

A big Nay.

Thread resurrection, but for me the legs that look bad in skinny jeans are the ones that are much bigger in the thighs than the calves. Sort of turkey drumstick looking. My favorite are skinny legs in skinny jeans, but muscular can look really amazing as long as they aren't too bulky. Muscular legs are often attatched to exactly the kind of butts that look good in tight jeans, as well.

I didn't expect the skinny jeans thing to last this long and held out for as long as I could but gotta say that I am tall and skinny and that the look of the skinny jeans with heels, I like this. I like styles that emphasize difference, I think, and these really play up the length and slimness, like a stork, LOL, but it's pretty. Like the OP my calves are decent size compared to my thighs (go aerobics!) and the Gap skinnies work best to fit the calves but hug the thighs as well.

Personally I like if it its not something ultra steroidical.
    On a man it works too, i have quite a few and my legs are not thin by any means.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin-in-FL View Post
    Muscular legs are often attatched to exactly the kind of butts that look good in tight jeans, as well.
    This

I'm not a fan of skinny jeans in the first place, but shaplier legs would probably look better in them.

i love skinny jeans but it doesnt seem to look so nice anymore after having a baby, he is 4 months now but im working on it to get back to my pre pregnancy size because it is such a waste if i wont be able to wear the stuff in my wardrobe anymore.

anyway, skinny jeans look great if you have a long skinny legs but it doesnt mean you cant wear one, you just have to find something that fits you, a stretchy fabric so no part sags and the right colour of the jeans to complement your shape. levi always has a generous cut, true religion hugs you perfect, and hudson jeans has a stretchy material.

I'm an overweight, balding, middle-aged man. Should I try squeezing my fat butt into skinny jeans? LOL - it would be scary.

A woman with any type of leg can wear anything she pleases.

Just as with fragrance, it's personal choice. No one can say which scent to wear: masculine, feminine, floral, oriental, what have you. It takes a person with real guts to wear what he/she likes and the devil with whoever makes a comment.

I say go for it. The late Diana Vreeland was known for the dark dyed hair and red nail polish. No one said a woman in her 80s should not do this. She had a style all her own and was proud of it, not caring what anyone else thought.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Great post, Primerose!

Only if they have a certain body type those jeans look good.

I like bigger women and if they have a small waist and womanly hips this gets me everytime. Stop and turn

As I am fairly active with diving and pilates i certainly have calves........but all saints skinny jeans have a limited amount of stretch.......as you are in NYC you can try them on. Be wary on the sizing they actually state they don't do bigger than UK14 (US 12 I think) but a size 10 is really a size 6.

They are just incredibly comfortable jeans to wear!
    When we come to the other world and meet the millions of Jews who died in the camps and they ask *what have you done for us*.......I will say * I did not forget you*. Simon Wiesenthal