Code of Conduct

Unhappy Ice*Men has been discontinued

I just got off of the phone with Thierry Mugler customer service. I had previously emailed them asking them about future releases, re-release of Pure Coffee and Pure Malt, Sunessense availability, and inquired about receiving free samples. They responded with a brief form letter, so I decided to give them a call. Basically they told me that corporate ran out of free samples, but he also informed me that Ice*Men has been discontinued (I asked him for a sample of this one), and may hit local discounters soon before it is gone for good. He also informed me that B*Men is discontinued, but I already knew that. So anyways, just wanted to give you guys a heads up.

On a side note, I wonder if TM is going to introduce a new permanent release to replace Ice*Men.

Default Re: Ice*Men has been discontinued

This intrigues me. I currently own B*Men but I have never worn any other the other offerings from the Mugler collection. Perhaps I will be able to give this one a try for a reasonable price now that it will be passing through the discounters. Would anyone recommend this one over, say, A*Men or Mugler Cologne?

Wow ! That's fast, just 3 years and discontinued yet. Too bad, I found it nice and wanted to maybe buy it one day...
    Well, maybe I'll find it in a discounter for really cheap soon.

Sur la Plage

Ice*Men has already shown up at Marshalls/TJ Maxx.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I called my local Marshalls and TJ Maxx and they didn't have any TM products. May have to grab it online, although I'd like to sample it first.

At first glance Thierry Mugler's marketing seems to be completely off-the-wall, what with the 1,001 flankers, the discontinuations, the limited releases etc etc. But in reality, the man is a genius. He knows what his customer base wants, and he has them under his control like puppets. Really it's amazing. He had A*Men Summer Flash a few years ago, it probably was a huge hit for the brief time it was out, then BAM, gone! This of course, drives junkies for the stuff mad, so there becomes a rabid market for the scraps that are left, then he releases the same scent, similar (or same?) packaging, under Ice*Men, and the cycle begins again, except for now he has the old junkies and NEW junkies feening for it. Anything this man releases with *Men attached to it will sell like hot cakes, and likely be discontinued as fast as it came. But, he's not stupid, he's just calculated this stuff brilliantly.
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 25th March 2010 at 07:33 PM.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Try Baryshnikov Sport. It's like Ice men minus the angel basenotes.

EDIT: Disregard this deleted paragraph, misread an earlier topic.

Either way, next time I see a bottle of Ice*Men at TJ Maxx for 15 bucks, I'm snapping it up. I'm not a "backup bottle" guy at all, but I've never had a 5 star fragrance discontinue on me either.
    Last edited by Royal; 25th March 2010 at 07:50 PM.
    I refuse to sink.

I just ordered a sample of Ice*Men and B*Men on Ebay. I wasn't willing to purchase Ice*Men blind because of the reviews that state there's a strong Ben Gay or Icy Hot note in there, which probably won't appeal to me. Also, I saw a review on B*Men on YouTube where the reviewer states that it smells exactly like the original scent Old Spice stick deodorant. Again, not a huge fan. We'll see....

Shaheen, I think the best way to describe it would be the patchoulli from Angel mixed wtih copious amounts of methyl salycate (the active ingredient in muscle-rubs) with bits of coffee and nutmeg thrown in the mix. Some days I really like it, and I'm actually wearing it today, but other days its just too much.
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

To me Ice*Men is just patchoulli and nothing else. I cannot smell coffee or nutmeg at all. The scent comes off as boring and uninspired to me so seeing it's discontinued is not a bad thing.

I know the Cologne has gone from the UK. A friend is a TM sa and told me ages ago it was going, infact it was less than half price instore for months trying to shift it. Ice Men she always told me this was a limited release but again that could have been UK only too.
    DONNA

I last saw Ice•Men at the local Sephora last time I strolled through there. I am guessing the only reason why Mugler would drop IM was if their major customers were consistently deciding not to carry it for next season!? Sephora has to be one of the largest customers so it probably was moving off the shelves fast enough. If not poor sales, why kill it off? I like it quite a bit but my bottle will last me a long time. I smelled Lanvin Sport that came out recently and it smells like an Ice•Men copy - maybe I will switch to that. I am sure there will be many icy>warm>then cool patchouli fragrances available from other houses to try shake money out of those note ideas. I•M is a good concept for a summer fragrance but possibly was not done as good as it could be done in another incarnation under a new brand identity. Stay tuned - I am sure Mugler will replace it with something they like better.

a year too late if you ask me. I'm hoping there's something new in the cannon ...

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    I know the Cologne has gone from the UK. A friend is a TM sa and told me ages ago it was going, infact it was less than half price instore for months trying to shift it. Ice Men she always told me this was a limited release but again that could have been UK only too.
    I bought Mugler cologne in a department store in the UK just a few weeks ago!

Ice Man by Mugler to me smelled exactly like this deodorant from the eighties called Insignia which to me smelled better than Ice Man. So everytime I smell this one it just reminds me of a copy of a good cheap deodorant.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    I last saw Ice•Men at the local Sephora last time I strolled through there. I am guessing the only reason why Mugler would drop IM was if their major customers were consistently deciding not to carry it for next season!? Sephora has to be one of the largest customers so it probably was moving off the shelves fast enough.
    Sephora was the only customer in the US, they had an exclusivity deal.
    I refuse to sink.

I also got a just a patchouli and methol vibe from this fragrance - I do believe the new sunessense is much improvement and would like to see this as a regular in the Mugler fragance line up.

I got my bottle of the scent and the shower gel from FragranceX.com. Sure, it's going to cost more than finding it at Marshall's/TJ Maxx, but if one has to have it...

>>Sephora was the only customer in the US, they had an exclusivity deal.<<

Really? It was in stock at a local Macy's here in the Twin Cities for quite a while. It's no longer there as of last week, but it definitely was there.
    Life is a banquet...and I got botulism! -- Me

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilSF View Post
    Really? It was in stock at a local Macy's here in the Twin Cities for quite a while. It's no longer there as of last week, but it definitely was there.
    I remember hearing that a year or so back when I was shopping for a bottle, and my personal findings second that. Ever since it's release, the only place I saw it was Sephora. A Mugler rep pointed me to Sephora when I asked her for it at Macys.
    I refuse to sink.