Code of Conduct

Default Please Help With Guy Laroche Horizon

I have made posts about this in the past, and I am sorry for bringing it up again, but I HATE blind buys. I did 2 blind buys before, and I hated them, so I am really hoping the fantastic community here on BN would be supportive again.

I want to get Horizon, however I feel it might be a let-down given my tastes. Let me illustrate. I love fresh aquatic fragrances (Halston Unbound, Issey Miyake, Bulgari Aqua, Polo Blue, et cetera). Does Horizon resemble the fragrance notes in this line of colognes? More, is it even Better than all of them, for daily usage?

I need one last verdict on this before I go ahead and purchase..is Horizon a must for me if I like the above mentioned colognes? Do you think it's even better or more refined/refreshing than the ones I listed?

This concludes my final say of this fragrance, and again, sorry for mentioning it once more, but I really need one last good solid say on this.

Thank you!
    (Please comment if you have Horizon and can make a good point about it). Much thanks.

Default Re: Please Help With Guy Laroche Horizon

Horizon is a fantastic frag, one of my all-time favorites. It's one of only two few fragrances I've bought back-up bottles for (the other being Pure Malt). I think it's better than the ones you've listed; it smells better and it's a sillage monster. It's also very different from those other aquatics, it has an almost smoky aspect to it that I find highly appealing. I've never smelled anything like it. It's been discontinued as well, so not many people will have it. A hidden gem, for sure. And it's cheap so it isn't a big risk. I don't think you'd be disappointed.

It's excellent but the lavender is quite strong, so if you don't like lavender it is NOT a safe blind buy. I have a new 50 ml one with cap on my swap and sales forums, if you have something to swap you don't like (minimizing your "risk").

Did a blind buy on this just this week and will be receiving it by Monday.
    Will post feedback.

Aquatics are big here where I'm from, and I want something unique for the upcoming summer season here (unique vs the Hugo Bosses, Acqua di Gios and Cool Waters -- ick, selling here well too include the seemingly generic Hugo Element and CKFree, both virtually "nonexistent" here on BN) ...

I've been wanting to try Horizon for a while as well but I too am skeptical.. Mostly because all I have to work with for reviews is basenotes on something like Horizon and no offense to basenoters.. but I noticed on a lot of the discontinued frags there will be a lot of praise because it's something they have worn growing up or simply because it's discontinued. Then in the end I'll try it and find it not appealing or even worse.

If you know what an "80s power frag" base is like, then you can just envision a strong marine note up top and that's Horizon. There is a strong peppery thing going on in the middle, but otherwise it's the usual strong lavender up top and typical base. The marine note isn't very noticeable when you get to the base, though. If you like aquatics but don't know what an 80s power frag is like, it may not be a bad idea to grab one of these as a "reference" frag because they are still fairly cheap. At some point you'll see them on ebay for $100 a bottle or so.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 26th March 2010 at 03:10 AM.

Lavendar overtone...I never really smelled any cologne with lavendar, except maybe Farenheit? Any resemblance to that, or is Horizon still different?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    At some point you'll see them on ebay for $100 a bottle or so.

^^ Must be good then.
    Last edited by The_Cologneist; 26th March 2010 at 03:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dudester! View Post
    Lavendar overtone...I never really smelled any cologne with lavendar, except maybe Farenheit? Any resemblance to that, or is Horizon still different?
    There's definitely no lavender in Fahrenheit.

Dudester!.. What may be valuable would be to check out the fragrance directory -- change the type to "masculine" and simply type in lavender for the notes. I'm sure you'll get over 500 results but if you carefully search through them.. see what's familiar to you then maybe you can get an idea of what lavender is. See if you remember smelling or owning any of them. Also if you've ever tried Drakkar Noir there's a lot of lavender in the opening.
    Last edited by The_Cologneist; 26th March 2010 at 03:30 AM.

You probably smelled a lot of frags with lavender but your mind is just treating it as "background noise." That's what it was like for me at first. In Horizon, it is "up front" and somewhat crisp (unlike the creamy lavender in Lomani, which is more of a fougere treatment), but in frags like Armani's Attitude or L'Instant Homme, it provides a kind of background fullness. Unfortunately, for some reason, it overwhelms my sinuses (that's what it feels like).
    Last edited by Bigsly; 26th March 2010 at 04:13 AM.

I see. Regarding the drydown (since that's what ultimately counts), is Horizon's a keeper? Is the drydown better or fresher/more refined or nicer than, say, Aqua di Gio, Bulgari Aqua, etc? Sorry if I'm being redundant here but after 30 minutes I'm wondering what it's going to smell like. If you can find any corollary to this fragrance that is mainstream like the ones I've mentioned that would be great. Thank you so far for all this help, guys. It's really kicking in, with these details you're supplying, and is acting as a powerful preventive to disappointment for another blind buy.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

I have a feeling you will like Horizon - an aquatic made before aquatics became a genre. I believe its drydown is superior to those of AdG, Bulgari Aqua et al. Again, consider that Horizon was made at a time when rules were not so strict, and tastes so AdG'y. Finally,m it is already a collector's item but available for cheap.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

It seems I only speak up when I disagree. And I disagree with all this love for Horizon.

I thought I'd like it, based on the reviews here and my own preference for powerhouses. So I bought a bottle blindly. And sold it after a couple of wearings.

Take the eucalyptus, menthol and lavender of Lacoste Booster, and put them on steroids. Throw a pinch of salt around the edges, but not as much salt as Bulgari Aqua. The result would be something similar to Horizon.

Very strong and medicinal, IMO. The descriptions of Horizon as "fresh" refer, I think, to that fact that it burns away everything else in your nose, giving it a clean start.

I can't recommend buying this one blindly.

How about this: if you had to wear only one fragrance out of these three, Horizon, Aqua di Gio or Bulgari Aqua, which would it be? Now I left no room for second thoughts/or opinions, I want to see who would pick what.

Easy choice: Bulgari Aqua. Under scorching summer sun, it smells something like an ocean beach. But it has enough body and character to stand up to the cloudy, humid days of summer, too.

It is a refined, unassuming and non-generic chypre-aquatic frag with herbal-spicy-woody undertones.

I'm going to spray it on soon, and I'll report back here in the next few hours.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

How about this: if you had to wear only one fragrance out of these three, Horizon, Aqua di Gio or Bulgari Aqua, which would it be? Now I left no room for second thoughts/or opinions, I want to see who would pick what.
    I have all 3, but will gladly choose Horizon.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Okay, the opening is like a strong marine smell (not watery, but like being out in the ocean) combined with an "aftershave" type of scent, which is obviously due mostly to the lavender. Since the drydown is most important to you, I'll report back when it gets there.

Sur la Plage

1) Horizon
    2) Aqua

Just buy the damn fragrance!
    Last edited by petruccijc; 27th March 2010 at 09:00 AM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

^Thanks Bigsly! I am appreciative of your time and explanation in this.

More than an hour in and it's come together well (the rough edges have smoothed out considerably) There is lavender, the marine quality, and a peppery element mostly.

EDIT: Okay, now it's a creamy and fairly smooth lavender/pepper/marine that's a little sweet.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 26th March 2010 at 08:49 PM.

kinf of off topic here but .. Gotta agree with RJR to an extent, except rather than wasting a ton of money I just wasted 3 bucks on a sample of L'deu Issey -- Classified as an aquatic scent based on basenoters when there was clearly nothing aquatic about it. Don't classify something as something it's not just because there's no place for it to be. IMO L'deu Issey is more of a spicy scent overwhelming with pepper and lemon.. lemon doesn't make something aquatic. I'd classify it more with Tommy Bahama which is spicy/woods/tobacco/leather.

Okay, it's been nearly 7.5 hours since applied, and that was half a spray. It still smells about the same, just softer and lighter. I'd compare it to KC's Black for men, except that you would have to replace the incense note with Horizon's marine note. I prefer Black, actually, so now I'll likely swap off my two Horizon bottles, and keep the KC Black. I'm glad I did this sampling today !

Horizon.

Here's a thought... if you hate blind buys, why don't you not buy it and sample 10 frags instead? I have made 5 cheap blind buys. I still have 3 of them (2 given away as gifts). All were thoroughly researched. None are now frags that I couldn't do without, though I enjoy each. If I hadn't bought any of them, the money could have been used to sample 30-40 fragrances. Or I could have sampled 20 and bought one or two I really liked.

Or, get a mini.
    Last edited by Big_Scooter; 27th March 2010 at 06:50 AM.

Thanks for the suggestion Scooter, but looks like my friends on BN here have done a fairly detailed and eloquent job in assuring me that Horizon is indeed a hit. So it looks like I'll be getting one! The smaller version, for now. Much thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Scooter View Post
    Here's a thought... if you hate blind buys, why don't you not buy it and sample 10 frags instead? I have made 5 cheap blind buys. I still have 3 of them (2 given away as gifts). All were thoroughly researched. None are now frags that I couldn't do without, though I enjoy each. If I hadn't bought any of them, the money could have been used to sample 30-40 fragrances. Or I could have sampled 20 and bought one or two I really liked.

Or, get a mini.
    I'd imagine it's hard if not impossible to get samples of Horizon, a mini would probably cost the same as a full sized bottle, his only other option would be a decant in which he'd have to find somebody willing to decant it. Bigsly perhaps but I believe he's selling them whole. But when you're talking about 4-5 bucks for a decant vs a possible 10-15 for a full sized bottle, why waste the 4-5, when you can get peoples opinions for free?
    Last edited by The_Cologneist; 27th March 2010 at 06:18 PM.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

The herbal minty opening is probably something you might have to get used to but IMO no fan-of-aquatic's wardrobe is complete without Horizon. It stands out well enough without having to smell like any other aquatic.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    If you know what an "80s power frag" base is like, then you can just envision a strong marine note up top and that's Horizon. There is a strong peppery thing going on in the middle, but otherwise it's the usual strong lavender up top and typical base. The marine note isn't very noticeable when you get to the base, though. If you like aquatics but don't know what an 80s power frag is like, it may not be a bad idea to grab one of these as a "reference" frag because they are still fairly cheap. At some point you'll see them on ebay for $100 a bottle or so.
    Yep, I don't think it'll get a lot of love from people used to modern fragrances. It's definitely old school, and VERY herbal.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Thanks for the suggestion Scooter, but looks like my friends on BN here have done a fairly detailed and eloquent job in assuring me that Horizon is indeed a hit. So it looks like I'll be getting one! The smaller version, for now. Much thanks!
    Don't do it dude. I don't think Horizon will sit well with you. Like others above me have mentioned, it is more herbal. It is also somewhat dated. This is not Terre Hermes, something I have read that you like. Being "dated" is not bad, but you come across as someone who prefers modern aquatics and sport fragrances. Nothing wrong with that. I really think you are due to buy a boat load of samples and work your way through them.

But, don't buy Horizon ( blind).
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Just bought a 1.7 oz bottle of Horizon blind off of Ebay for $5. I figured that even I could afford that blind buy (even if it turns out to be a fake).

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    Don't do it dude. I don't think Horizon will sit well with you. Like others above me have mentioned, it is more herbal. It is also somewhat dated. This is not Terre Hermes, something I have read that you like. Being "dated" is not bad, but you come across as someone who prefers modern aquatics and sport fragrances. Nothing wrong with that. I really think you are due to buy a boat load of samples and work your way through them.

But, don't buy Horizon ( blind).
    Well why did everyone choose Horizon over Aqua di Gio in the list that I provided if it came down to choosing those 3 fragrances? I love Aqua di Gio "kinds" of fragrances, and with a little twist is fine, and I'm guessing the marine note in Horizon would be a nice change..

Well why did everyone choose Horizon over Aqua di Gio in the list that I provided if it came down to choosing those 3 fragrances? I love Aqua di Gio "kinds" of fragrances, and with a little twist is fine, and I'm guessing the marine note in Horizon would be a nice change..
    Because people on these boards don't like AdG. Horizon is nothing, I repeat NOTHING, like Acqua di Gio. They are 100% poles apart.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by shortino View Post
    Just bought a 1.7 oz bottle of Horizon blind off of Ebay for $5. I figured that even I could afford that blind buy (even if it turns out to be a fake).
    For $5, you cannot go wrong. Good buy Shortino ( I like that nickname !). At the worst, you can just swap it off. But, I hope it works out great for ya

As mtgprox mentioned, alot of guys detest the smell of AdG. Me included. I gave my bottle away ( it was practically new !). I think Sander for Man is a more better choice. Its a pretty cool fragrance. Casual and sporty, but also interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    Because people on these boards don't like AdG. Horizon is nothing, I repeat NOTHING, like Acqua di Gio. They are 100% poles apart.
    Thank you
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

I got a large bottle of this for $30 over at parfum1 so I will be equipped with this scent for a while. I'm even thinking about buying a backup bottle later this year. There is a tad of a classic feel to it but not enough for the younger crowd like myself to be turned off by it. It's just an all-around great smell that goes well in all weather conditions.