Code of Conduct

Default Baffled by Pinaud's Clubman and Pinaud's Special Reserve

I've got these two as a present from a relative returning from the USA. Nice surprise indeed if you like barbershop's scents: traditional in style, long lasting, good sillage and the price - how could they be so inexpensive?

The point is I can hardly imagine a market for these kind of fragrance styles in my home country. Just to give you an idea, lawyers attending the club I am a member of usually use modern scents (Acquatics are the norm) or the ones released in the 1980's that became classics (ie: RL's Polo, Azzaro, etc). Some older gents even use deodorants like - to my dismay - Axe's Musk (go and tell them that in the UK Axe is favoured by CHAVs, LOL). Just to make my point, Dana's English Leather has been described by my club buddies as "an old fart's scent" followed by the obvious question "How can you like that?" (the answer is, obviously, "Because I am a conservative").

The question is, in the USA, and to the extent of your suppositions and / or information, which kind of demographic uses Pinaud's?

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Baffled by Pinaud's Clubman and Pinaud's Special Reserve

It is sold at a lot of pharmacies in the US and is usually located on the shelf next to the Old Spice, Mennen, and Brut bottles.
    Last edited by adonis; 27th March 2010 at 01:47 AM.

I've only seen Clubman and the horrible Lilac Vegetal in stores here in the US. I'd love to try Special Reserve, but have never seen it in a store.

Quote Originally Posted by adonis View Post
    It is sold at a lot of pharmacies in the US and is usually located on the shelf next to the Old Spice, Mennen, and Brut bottles.
    I really envy you... of the ones you've mentioned, down here only Old Spice is available. The rest are knock-offs or imitations of whatever was and is succesful. Go figure the amazing amount of Hugo Boss, Fahrenheit, Polo, Jazz, Cool Water and Acqua di Gio "me toos" around.

Pinaud Clubman is sold at pharmacies with the other drugstore scents. Bay Rum sometimes makes it onto these shelves, too, and Lilac Vegetal. These latter two are usually sold at pharmacies in areas where there are older folks, especially old money. A gentleman who attends our church and could use afford any scent he chooses wears Clubman - lots of it - exclusively, for instance. I have never seen Special Reserve, Musk, Vanilla, etc. at any drugstore, nor have I smelled them on anyone (except Special Reserve on me). I do know that all of the Pinauds have quite a following on the wetshaving forums, and I see them at the real barbershops I occasionally visit.

Regards,
    T

Quote Originally Posted by Pollux View Post
    The question is, in the USA, and to the extent of your suppositions and / or information, which kind of demographic uses Pinaud's?
    Where I live, Pinaud Clubman and Lilac Vegetal have been used for decades in the men's locker room at the most exclusive country club in town.

BTW - Clubman Special Reserve is by far my favorite of that line.

I just love some of the Pinauds they have. I only found 1 Pinaud at our Walgreens. Had to order the other ones online. There is this one shop online that has 1 oz samples of all Pinauds. That way you can try out what you like or not. Myself, I did not like the Lilac and the Bay Rum.
    My favorites are Pinaud aftershave for men, Special Reserve, Musk.
    They are good and long lasting. And for the price you can't go wrong.
    --- If your dog thinks you are the greatest person
    in the world, don't seek a second opinion ---

Thanks you all for your replies! You mention "old money", and that is precisely what I smell, even though the price does not seem to match this fact. I even wonder, for the price, quality and style (straightforward, no frills, boldly masculine) it overshadows many expensive designer's and niche scents. I really like them and would gladly take these two as signature scent.

Quote Originally Posted by TBoner View Post
    I do know that all of the Pinauds have quite a following on the wetshaving forums, and I see them at the real barbershops I occasionally visit.
    +1.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

In my area, when I wonder downwind from the shuffleboard courts early in the day, a distinct Pinaud Clubman sillage wafts by in huge and nearly palpable clouds of barbershop aroma.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

I agree with the above; two U.S markets seems to be 1) old farts wearing the good, ol' comfortable stuff, and 2) no-frills, undeducated in the ways of cologne (non-BN) guys content to buy their juice at Walgreens.

But I think there's third category: guys who sometimes enjoy a basic, solid, old-school scent. Pollux sems to be a sophisticated BNer who could find opportunities to wear Clubman. Me too. I'm 53, active and not yet ready for shuffleboard, and like to wear this while running Saturday morning errands or for jeans day at the office. And I have got to try the Special Reserve, but the lilac vetetal is godawful.

Quote Originally Posted by adonis View Post
    Yup. It's one of the few named scents in here that is very commonly available and cheap in almost any pharmacy. But I've only ever seen it in After Shave strength, in their main "Clubman" scent and Lilac Vegetal. Pinaud actually has a pretty broad line.

I use it on occasion, and I not going to knock anybody who likes it. But I do find it a tad "mature" and I am "mature." It is a huge favorite in a wet shaving forum I also belong to. That scent, which always reminds me of Brut, was a mainstay of the barbershops when I was a kid (and being dragged kicking and screaming in for a "brush cut" so I wouldn't look like one of those unkempt Beatles). It is the ultimate barbershop scent for me. Makes me feel like I just had a haircut. Old scent memories.

Worn discreetly, it's probably a classic. I fear some of it's bad rep is that since it's mostly used as AS, it projects clouds of potent sillage from the freshly shaved faces of old guys for an hour or so.

For $6-$7, one must experience Lilac Vegetal- ONCE. I'm in sync with Shamu1 on that one. If you hang in with it, I guess you see what they had in mind, but it mostly smells to me like a practical joke of an AS in a bottle.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 27th March 2010 at 07:29 PM.

I definitely think Clubman is a classic scent. Though it's extremely old school, it will always smell good and relevant. I think Pinaud markets it as an aftershave simply to appeal to a certain type of customer who appreciates traditional shaving and grooming rituals. Does anyone really use it as a bracing aftershave these days? I think it's just an excellent fragrance on its own. I find the stuff to be very strong, with enormous sillage and good staying power, as StylinLA notes.

Yeah, Lilac Vegetal smells like a freakin' cow pie sitting in a bag of rotting potatoes.
    Last edited by shamu1; 28th March 2010 at 03:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    I definitely think Clubman is a classic scent. Though it's extremely old school, it will always smell good and relevant. I think Pinaud markets it as an aftershave simply to appeal to a certain type of customer who appreciates traditional shaving and grooming rituals. Does anyone really use it as a bracing aftershave these days? I think it's just an excellent fragrance on its own. I find the stuff to be very strong, with enormous sillage and good staying power, as StylinLA notes.

Yeah, Lilac Vegetal smells like a freakin' cow pie sitting in a bag of rotting potatoes.
    LOL- I am a wetshaver and used Clubman AS earlier today. It's surprisingly strong for an AS for sure.

You're being quite unfair to both cow pies and rotting potatoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Pollux View Post
    Thanks you all for your replies! You mention "old money", and that is precisely what I smell, even though the price does not seem to match this fact. I even wonder, for the price, quality and style (straightforward, no frills, boldly masculine) it overshadows many expensive designer's and niche scents. I really like them and would gladly take these two as signature scent.
    Well, the "old money" folks didn't get where they are today by splashing out for expensive AS... :-)
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

I bought Clubman for the first time about ten years ago. I'd also remembered the Clubman talc from getting haircuts at the barbershop when I was a kid.

I remember the first time I wore it, thinking, "Aw hell, it's just an aftershave, so I can really douse myself with this." I soaked myself with it, and thought I'd poisoned myself, it was so strong. Still a really good scent, though.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    LOL- I am a wetshaver
    Stylin, I'm embarrassed to sound so naive and ignorant here, but what exactly does the term "wetshaver" mean? Is it just someone who shaves with a regular razor with warm water and shaving cream? If so, then I guess I'm a wetshaver too.

Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    Stylin, I'm embarrassed to sound so naive and ignorant here, but what exactly does the term "wetshaver" mean? Is it just someone who shaves with a regular razor with warm water and shaving cream? If so, then I guess I'm a wetshaver too.
    Nah, not naive or ignorant, it is sort of a silly term. I guess it's roots meant "not using an electric razor." But it now is kind a term for men who somewhat ritualize their daily shave. Most use old style double edge razors or straight razors as opposed to modern cartridge razors. There is much trying and/or collecting of different blades, shaving brushes, shaving soaps and creams, prep routines, etc, etc.

I use a double edge razor- three passes- with the grain, across the grain and against the grain. After about three months, I could get a much better shave than with a Fusion. But it's debatable how much better it is. Takes longer too. Maybe 15 minutes or so as opposed to 5-6. But I must admit the "ritualization" of it has made my daily shave something I greatly look forward to. Sounds boring as shyt to many I'm sure. But I can't wait till the next shave.

Count Me in for the Wetshaver crowd also. I've been wearing the Pinauad Clubman Fragrances most of my Adult Life. I use the Classic After Shave, Special Reserve, Vanilla, Bay Rum, and Citrus Musk. Most Pharmacies here in NY sell Pinaud Fragrances and other grooming Products. They are great, reliable, and Dependable no nonsense products, and the price is right. Always. Yes Pollux, this is a very underated company. Shamu, you once wrote that Vegetal Lilac smells like cabbage boiled in Urine, a very funny description that I've never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by seasoldiermarine View Post
    Shamu, you once wrote that Vegetal Lilac smells like cabbage boiled in Urine, a very funny description that I've never forgotten
    Again- unkind to cabbage or urine.

Yeah, seasoldier, I've seen you comment before on Pinaud. Out here in LA, I only ever see the Clubman AS available and the Lilac Vegetal. I do very much like their talc. I like the AS, but it is pretty potent stuff on me.

Much like Shamu noted above, it can be easy to say "it's just after shave, let me be liberal." I did that today and crossed that line we all run into from time to time where we realize we just made ourself "the cologne guy."
    Last edited by StylinLA; 28th March 2010 at 04:35 AM.

Well I could not disagree more with the idea that these fragrances are too old. But I admit to some they may seem that way. Pinaud Clubman is a classic fougere scent similar to Canoe by Dana and also not too different from Azzaro Pour Homme. BUT, of these two Pinauds, Clubman definitely has the more dated smell and anyone objecting to Clubman would also look down upon Azzaro PH, Brut, and Canoe. I generally don't like these fougere scents as I think they are a bit simple and conservative in nature. It is kind of like enjoying artwork by Gainsborough or Norman Rockwell - its just a little too idealized for my taste. There are plenty of basenoters who still appreciate these fragrances for what they are - but Clubman is old fashioned - especially in the U.S.

Special Reserve is another case in my opinion. It is a nice leather fragrance that I enjoy the scent of as much as many contemporary leather fragrances. It doesn't smell anything like English Leather and it is a type of scent that really never hit big in the states so it is still considered sort of new. Its major flaw is how weak it is! It smells very similar to Cuoio by Odori and a little like Versailles pour Homme by Jean Desprez and and I find it a more enjoyable leather fragrance than most of the big leathers. I have sold off my Knize Ten, Aoud Cuir Arabie, Versailles Pour Homme, and Lonestar Memories as well as Cuoio but I kept my bottle of Special Reserve along with a few other favorite leather scents. I think this fragrance works fine in the contemporary world. It is masculine, sure but it smells great. Its one big flaw is the longevity is only about three or four hours and it is so weak it must be splashed on with abandon to enjoy its scent. But the smell is great! Another honey leather like this that is cheap but smells wonderful is Elsha 1776 - nice bargain leather. Special Reserve is after all an after shave strength (I think?). A big bottle for under $10 that smells this good is hard to go wrong with in my opinion.
    Last edited by Buzzlepuff; 28th March 2010 at 04:34 AM.

Agree with you're take on Special Reserve Buzzlepuff (btw my favorite Clubman Frag)
    and LOL StylinLA (AKA Cologne Guy)

Quote Originally Posted by seasoldiermarine View Post
    Agree with you're take on Special Reserve Buzzlepuff (btw my favorite Clubman Frag)
    and LOL StylinLA (AKA Cologne Guy)
    You know you've been there too. First time I wore Vintage Tabarome to the office, I used four spritzes. YIKES! When you can literally SEE the fragrance cloud around you like LA smog, you've put on too much.

LOL, Yeah. Like LA Smog or London Pea Soup

Pinaud Clubman is the aftershave provided to members in the men's locker room at the Houston City Club. I've only used it there once when in Houston visiting family. NOT A FAN!!
    Don't Smell the Flowers,
    They're an Evil Drug to Make You Lose Your Mind --- Dio

So far, I agree with Buzzlepuff, Special Reserve has a more contemporary feel than Clubman, and better blended than vintage Mem's English Leather. Still, I am with Actiasluna and her preference for traditional scents. I just posted on the thread on "Do you wear your age" and I said that not only wear mine, I aslo do wear my Grandpa's. So I guess Clubman was a find, it is among the ones I prefer: Old Spice, Canoe, Zizanie, Pour Un Homme, etc.

I used to described myself as a young fogey. Being 45 years old, I decided to drop the adjective "young", leave "fogey" and prepare myself for "old" in the years to come... I will be taking "fart" as a fact of life as of my 80th birthday. Hold still, I will be publishing hundreds and hundreds of threads on how good traditional perfume making was a 100 years ago.

As we say down here: "you can't call a man a traitor if he tells you what is he going to do".

My Son will be 30 in November.....He Loves this whole line.....Gary

Wearing Pinauds doesn't make you an old fart. It makes you a man with good taste (well, except for Lilac Vegetal).

Gary, Shamu, thanks for your words! I was just joking at my preferences...

Basenotes Institution

My barber splashes this on my neck, when I go for my weekly buzz cut.

Not bad stuff, but I can't imagine wanting to own a bottle myself.

This stuff has been around forever. It's my partner's favorite; he wears this or Dominica Bay Rum. We find it at Sally's Beauty Supply.

I honestly don't care for it much on me. I DO like Pinaud's Lime Sec, though. I got a sample bottle of it and liked it a lot.

Anyone who's interested in trying Pinaud products should check out this guy. He is such a big fan that he carries the complete product line:

http://www.clubmanonline.com/
    Life is a banquet...and I got botulism! -- Me

I go get a cut every 2 weeks and my favorite part is at the end when my barber uses a straight-razor on the back of my neck followed by Pinaud Clubman.

I loved how I smelled after the cut so much that I finally went to Walgreens a couple weeks back and bought a bottle. Can’t go wrong for $7, heck I just paid 95x that for my 2nd flacon of Windsor, and they’re probably the 2 scents I crave to wear the most. Go figure.

Blog Entries

As for here in Southern California the only Pinaud I see in the pharmacies, Target, Walmart and such is the Clubman.
    I bought Clubman and have not worn it, will be handing it over to my father.
    sent via commodore 64

*explore your world on a bicycle*