Code of Conduct

Default Manly and Fruity?

Ok well we all know that KC Reaction has the longevity of a house fly, but a lot of people can agree with me that it just smells so fantastic. In fact, it's one of the best colognes I have ever smelled.

I have searched far and wide for another smell to compete and most of the colognes that people say smell "just like it!" smell not so much like it...

I have tried almost every spin off from Davidoff thinking that might, but nope. I tried Acqua Dio Gio and all the similars. I have tried several review websites with no luck. I thought some of the CK One Summers seemed to have promise, but they smelled good in a different way. I am thinking of just starting to make my own perfume.

I have not yet resorted to female colognes yet, but I may have too since I just love that type of smell so much. The problem with that is they use floral notes where I would like woody notes in place of.

Now to the point:
    Could anyone tell me anything that is fruity and citrusy but remains mainly?

Here are some colognes that are my favorites to help: Reaction (of course), Tommy Bahamma St. Barts, Lacoste Grey, Channel Homme Sport, etc.

I really would like something with the note of watermelon. This could be combined or exchanged with a couple of the following: Key Lime Pie, Cucumber Melon, Orange/Lemon combo, Coconut, Vanilla, and other happy, summer, fruity, light scents.

I know that is a lot to take in, but if someone could help me that has more knowledge of this then I do, I would be so happy.

Default Re: Manly and Fruity?

Hmm

For cucumber/melon/black pepper/milk You could try Un Jardin Apres de la mousson (hermes)
    Orange juice blast: Eau De Orange Verte (hermes)
    Bulgari Aqua Marine (grapefruit watery blast)

Im not really a fan of fruity scents but hope these would help

Some say Chanel No 5 Eau Premičre is a fruitier, butcher No 5. I'm not so convinced myself, but you might want to give it a try...

Quote Originally Posted by joey86 View Post
    Hmm

For cucumber/melon/black pepper/milk You could try Un Jardin Apres de la mousson (hermes)
    Orange juice blast: Eau De Orange Verte (hermes)
    Bulgari Aqua Marine (grapefruit watery blast)

Im not really a fan of fruity scents but hope these would help
    Where do you find these colognes. I am pretty noobish and are only aware of the main stream stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by tott View Post
    Some say Chanel No 5 Eau Premičre is a fruitier, butcher No 5. I'm not so convinced myself, but you might want to give it a try...
    Really, the same question as above.

You might want to check out MPG's Bahiana.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by Geikamir View Post
    Where do you find these colognes. I am pretty noobish and are only aware of the main stream stuff.

Really, the same question as above.
    Online shops like reirien.com or you could go to the nearest high end shopping complex near your place

or the hermes/bulgari boutique.

Do you guys know of cheaper options? I'm ok with mainstream and lower quality compared to others. It seems that if a cologne as a french name then it's usually out of my price range

whats your budget? and which country are you from? that would help us out more.

most perfumes are priced similiarly.
    Last edited by joey86; 27th March 2010 at 12:37 PM.

Blog Entries

Try L'eau par Kenzo. The zesty citrus opening is awesome. Very bright warm weather fragrance.

It can be found at online discount stores (scented monkey, fragrancex, and the like) for <$40 depending on the size of the bottle.

Clinique Happy is another one along these lines.

If you have your heart set on finding a KC Reaction clone with better longevity, you may be out of luck. There was another BNer we were trying to help find the same thing, and I'm not sure we were ever able to do so. He did find several others he really liked though. I'd recommend you do the same. Try to enjoy some of these others alone for what they are, instead of comparing them to Reaction. You may find one you like even better. Definitely give L'eau par Kenzo a try. ;-)
    Last edited by Tarheel Golfer; 27th March 2010 at 01:56 PM.

Try samples. The Perfumed Court is good for this. A couple of pricey scents that fit what you're looking for, and you can probably find inexpensive samples: Bond No. 9 Riverside Drive, and Creed Acier Aluminum. Both very fine examples of fruity but masculine.

+1 to L'eau Par Kenzo
    Don't Smell the Flowers,
    They're an Evil Drug to Make You Lose Your Mind --- Dio

Check out Hugo XY. It's very fruity in the opening (the best pear note I've smelled - granted I've not smelled many but then I didn't think I'd even like the smell of pears in a fragrance but I love it here, so that's worth mentioning ). I also detect a bit of a fresh cut watermelon note for a while. All of this is backed by a lot of a very clean mint (does not smell like either peppermint or spearmint, so avoids the association with gum and toothpaste, yet still smells minty in a clean/fresh way) and a light dose of green basil. This creates the olfactory effect of the smell of ice cubes - almost a neutral and "white-smelling" odor, but slightly tickling to the nose.

The base is a light musk with just hints of patchouli and cedar.

It's not fruity throughout but you do get some wonderful fruit notes up front and one of the best fresh and icy minty manly summer scents around.

Another fruity scent that stays fruity throughout its development is Sean John's I Am King. I found it a bit simple and linear but it may be what you're looking for. His Unforgivable, too, is quite fresh and fruity throughout, smelling a bit like orange + 7-up.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Another idea: If you haven't tried the original John Varvatos, you might check it out. It starts with a really nice spicy dried fruit. The fruit does not last all the way through, but the drydown is very nice. I love this one on my husband!

The only two I can think of as "fruity" and that I really like are Nicole Miller for men (the new formulation) and Obsession Night for men. The fruity note in Dior Homme bothers me, and I can't think of any other "men's" frag that might be considered "fruity" (and that I like) except for Dior's Higher, but the pear note in that one is rather subdued.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 27th March 2010 at 08:17 PM.

Awesome! Thanks for all the suggestions. I will go and try to find these. Maybe I can get some cheap samples, somewhere to be sure.

I'm American, too, btw.

other than samples you could go to Neiman Marcus, Sephora, Boots, Takashimaya, Macys etc

I'm not even american but i know your shops!!

Yeah, I'm pretty noobish.

Yeah, I'm pretty noobish.
    are there any huge shopping malls near your place?

There is a small one, moderately close.

There is a small one, moderately close.
    you might want to see if they have any perfume counters or shops there.

You could try Versace Man Eau Fraiche or Voyage by Nautica.Good Luck
    LOVE IS BEST
    My sale thread :http://www.basenotes.net/search.php?searchid=2281122
    "There are people of spirit and there are people of passion but much less common that one might think. Rarer still are the people of passion and spirit. But rarest of all is a passionate spirit."
    -- Martin Buber

Versace Man eau Fraiche, Versace pour Homme, Unforgivable, Allure Homme edition Blanche and Joop! Nightflight are all worth a go.
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Try Paris Hilton Just Me - it's similar to AdG but more fruity. I get some watermelon/cucumber vibe.

Quote Originally Posted by tinybarbarian View Post
    Try Paris Hilton Just Me - it's similar to AdG but more fruity. I get some watermelon/cucumber vibe.
    Or the original Paris Hilton Men. Cucmber / watermelon-guilty-goodness. A hit with the ladies.
    (Longevity sucks though, but for the price it goes for, it ain't so bad. PH frags are as mainstream as it gets right?)

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Check out Hugo XY. It's very fruity in the opening (the best pear note I've smelled - granted I've not smelled many but then I didn't think I'd even like the smell of pears in a fragrance but I love it here, so that's worth mentioning ). I also detect a bit of a fresh cut watermelon note for a while. All of this is backed by a lot of a very clean mint (does not smell like either peppermint or spearmint, so avoids the association with gum and toothpaste, yet still smells minty in a clean/fresh way) and a light dose of green basil. This creates the olfactory effect of the smell of ice cubes - almost a neutral and "white-smelling" odor, but slightly tickling to the nose.

The base is a light musk with just hints of patchouli and cedar.

It's not fruity throughout but you do get some wonderful fruit notes up front and one of the best fresh and icy minty manly summer scents around.
    Fully 2nd XY and the way S O S describes it.

Quote Originally Posted by tinybarbarian View Post
    I have actually considered that one before. Wasn't sure about it.

Quote Originally Posted by funhuntr View Post
    Or the original Paris Hilton Men. Cucmber / watermelon-guilty-goodness. A hit with the ladies.
    (Longevity sucks though, but for the price it goes for, it ain't so bad. PH frags are as mainstream as it gets right?)
    So, if I had to choose between that two which would be the best one to go with? Watermelon and Cucumber Melon? Sounds like perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    Fully 2nd XY and the way S O S describes it.
    Alright cool. That's two recommendations, I will definitely try that. I have that Kenzo one in the mail as we speak I am going to get Happy once I find a good deal on it somewhere.

Thanks so much, guys. I didn't expect this much help!

The original Paris Hilton Men is much much fruitier, but also seems more feminine. I prefer Just Me, but try both out. I think they're better than you might expect lol.

I'd say D&G Pour Homme fits that bill nicely

I percieve some very expensive fruit from Amouage Jubilation XXV.

Yes, check out Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme. It has citrus top notes and dries into a sweet tobacco. It lasts a long time too and has great sillage.

What do you guys think of Boss In Motion? Judging by the reviews I think I might like it. Its hard to tell, because I kind of have to rely on bad reviews sometimes, because I like the fruity and aquatics that so many seem to hate.

Cassius

M7 Fresh. Give it a try.

Key Lime Pie: Chanel Sport Homme Blanche
    Orange Lemon: Clinique Happy for Men
    Coconut: Virgin Island Water

Quote Originally Posted by Partagas View Post
    M7 Fresh. Give it a try.
    I have read some reviews. Some of the positives say grapefruit juice, some say cola, some same fruity pebbles, etc. Some of the negatives say medicine, mouthwash, Vicks Vapor-rub, etc... lol. This is the widest range of smells I think I've ever seen. Which of these is closest?

Quote Originally Posted by JMang View Post
    Key Lime Pie: Chanel Sport Homme Blanche
    Orange Lemon: Clinique Happy for Men
    Coconut: Virgin Island Water
    On the Chanel one, most people said a Lemon smell maybe mixed with vanilla (to give a creme' type of smell).
    I am going to be purchasing Happy as soon as I find a good deal. I'm pretty excited about this one based of what you guys have said.
    I actually started another thread asking if anyone knows of a good alternative to VIW. It sounds awesome.

[QUOTE=Geikamir;1798196]I have read some reviews. Some of the positives say grapefruit juice, some say cola, some same fruity pebbles, etc. Some of the negatives say medicine, mouthwash, Vicks Vapor-rub, etc... lol. This is the widest range of smells I think I've ever seen. Which of these is closest?QUOTE]

Maybe a little of all of the above. Like M7 it is complex. To me it has slightly sweet and fruity topnotes and some heavier slightly darker basenotes. Definelty not your typical fruity scent.

polo blue definitely

Cool Re: Manly and Fruity?

Quote Originally Posted by Haunani View Post
    Another idea: If you haven't tried the original John Varvatos, you might check it out. It starts with a really nice spicy dried fruit. The fruit does not last all the way through, but the drydown is very nice. I love this one on my husband!
    I'd listen to her if I were you
    There's a leather note among the fruits that keeps it high on the macho-meter.
    As to the cheapest place to get samples: http://scentmonkey.com/

Much as I love Nicole Miller for Men, I lucked out in getting the vintage version. The new one lasts about 15 min on me. Not recommended.

Other cheap--um --inexpensive--runner ups:

Quasar by J del Pozo--a half-insane fruity aquatic with notes of banana and newspaper print. (No, I'm not kidding.) Actually, it's not bad, even if the notes sound awful---and it is unique

Homme Nature--by Yves Rocher--don't let the French name frighten you. Super cheap, natural, made in Canada and quite fresh.

Cheers,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Aventus
    Millesime Imperial
    Virgin Island Water
    Bond no.9 Wall Street
    Chanel Pour Monsieur (not the concentreé version)
    Love & Luck (to my nose it's similar do MI, but cheaper)

+2 to L'eau Par Kenzo

Watermelon top notes, very light florals, a little sweet.

Another vote for Quasar

If you can transcend gender marketing it would seem to me that the original l'eau d'issey for women fits your brief nicely. There is no reason whatsoever that this should have been marketed as a feminine fragrance. Also it should be easily available!

Burberry for men!

The fruitiest fragrance I've come across has to be Pulp by Byredo...... absolutely delicious!!