Code of Conduct

Talking Encre Noir by Lalique vs. Guerlain Vetiver: a safe blind buy?

The only vetiver fragrance I've ever smelled is Guerlain Vetiver.
    And I'm liking the scent enough to want to buy a bottle.
    I've been thinking about purchasing a bottle for a while now and now after wearing GV a couple of times I'm certain I want to expand my wardrobe with a vetiver scent (as long as it's worth every penny and I've already considerd different alternatives).

Now it happens I've read several people write that Encre Noir is a better choice than GV.
    And as much as I like GV, I can find myself in other people when they say it's a bit simple and shallow.
    It's like when I've smelled Terre d Hermes en Cartier Declaration side by side and I found Hermes to be a bit simple and shallow compared to Declaration and I ended up buying a bottle of Declaration instead of Hermes.

Unfotunately, lalique doesn't sell in my hometown of The Hague. So I can't sample it either.
    But nevertheles, If EN is just as good as GV, I'm prepared to bind buy it online
    What are your opinions? Is Encre Noir a safe blind buy? Or should I try tracking down a sample?
    Last edited by persianpoppa; 27th March 2010 at 12:50 PM.
    A king is not put in a palace before it is adorned. A heart's treasure is unlocked only when that heart is purified.

Default Re: Encre Noir by Lalique vs. Guerlain Vetiver: a safe blind buy?

I don't think either is "better" than the other, just different. Definitely sample, but you may very well enjoy it. It's a much darker scent and having both (as I do) makes a lot of sense for when you want an ebullient, citrusy vetiver (Guerlain) or when you want a brooding, earthy vetiver (Lalique). I am running low on both of my bottles and I was wondering if I should just replace one or look for something new. Chanel Sycomore is the only other vetiver I've sampled that I think I like as much or better, but I could even see having all three in a wardrobe as not being repetitive. At half the price of the Chanel to get replacements of both bottles, I think that option is best for me, but keep sampling and see if one really grabs a hold of you.
    I offer you perfume,
    More for its pleasure than for yours;
    You perfume perfume.

--Anonymous Ancient Greek Love Lyric

No words from others can eliminate that risk of a blind buy for you.
    I have both in my wardrobe but out of the two, I love Guerlain Vetiver to bits.

I suggest you should try to obtain a sample of Encre Noire. It shouldn't be too hard to get one here.

I've tried GV, EN, and Sycomore (wearing it today actually). My thoughts are this:
    I don't find the GV simple at all, in fact I like how it surprises me a little every time I wear it. And, it's helluva cheap, like $40-50 for 125ml. A staple IMO.
    EN - tried it a few times, found it a litlte too moody and somber. I like smokey but more like insence, or tar, this felt conflicting like dirty and clean at the same time. Personally I didn't like it. A few months ago I saw it at ScentedMonkey for $30 for a 50ml, not too shabby.
    Chanel Sycomore, well the price is way out there but it's very interesting stuff. I find it a little brighter, almost sweet, while the EN is raspier. I think a hint of sweetness catches attention as it wafts by

Still? I'd recommend the GV above all others. I'd suggest at least sampling EN and Sycomore, but I'd say most people could even buy GV blind and generally be safe, and I don't' usually recommend blind buying anything.
    Last edited by Master-Classter; 27th March 2010 at 01:19 PM.
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

If you have a L'Occitane store near to your house ,I suggest to sample Eau de Vetyver. I think is stronger and It's a good alternative for GV.

I think you should go with your gut and pick up the one you know you like there, Guerlain's. There'll be a time and method to find EN, but it is a different and heavier scent that for me doesn't have many of the elements I find so compelling in the Guerlain. You won't find Guerlain Vetiver-plus if you get EN.

Stick with what you know, expand later (maybe sooner than later, who knows?).
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

I was really ready to blind buy Encre Noir, but am fortunate to live in a city with a lot of retail outlets. Encre Noir is highly praised by a lot of people, but I got a sample and passed. You might love it, but sample first.

It it a vastly different and unique take on vetiver from Guerlain's Vetiver. Much darker and earthier. More of a night time scent.

Quote Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post
    I've tried GV, EN, and Sycomore (wearing it today actually). My thoughts are this:
    I don't find the GV simple at all, in fact I like how it surprises me a little every time I wear it. And, it's helluva cheap, like $40-50 for 125ml. A staple IMO.
    EN - tried it a few times, found it a litlte too moody and somber. I like smokey but more like insence, or tar, this felt conflicting like dirty and clean at the same time. Personally I didn't like it. A few months ago I saw it at ScentedMonkey for $30 for a 50ml, not too shabby.
    Chanel Sycomore, well the price is way out there but it's very interesting stuff. I find it a little brighter, almost sweet, while the EN is raspier. I think a hint of sweetness catches attention as it wafts by

Still? I'd recommend the GV above all others. I'd suggest at least sampling EN and Sycomore, but I'd say most people could even buy GV blind and generally be safe, and I don't' usually recommend blind buying anything.
    I have both GV and Sycomore... and love them both, find them SOOO different on my skin. The Sycomore reminds me of autumn leaves and is warm and cool, bright and dark, smokey and sweet all at the same time (or at different times as it develops)... for the size of the bottle it's not crazy expensive but it is still $1/ml... GV is great for the price and as I said, it is so different from Sycomore.
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

Quote Originally Posted by actiasluna View Post
    I have both GV and Sycomore... and love them both, find them SOOO different on my skin. The Sycomore reminds me of autumn leaves and is warm and cool, bright and dark, smokey and sweet all at the same time (or at different times as it develops)... for the size of the bottle it's not crazy expensive but it is still $1/ml... GV is great for the price and as I said, it is so different from Sycomore.
    I've never tried Sycomore, but I love that description. For the benefit of the OP, it could serve perfectly as my take on EN. The Guerlain was my first foray into vetiver, followed by EN then Paul Smith Story. I have a strange "take-it-or-leave-it" attitude to vetiver, yet, every now and then, I just "have to have it". I think there must be some sub-liminal olfactory memory association thing going on here: something from my wild and impetuous youth perhaps? . However, when I get one of those "have to have it" moments, it's invariably the EN that I reach for.

I have GV an EN in my wardrobe; I find GV more complex than EN. In these terms, EN is a nice fragrance but simpler in structure. I had the chance of buying vetiver essential oil (EO) and to my nose, it ends up being an amped up version of vetiver EO: this isn't as long lasting nor it has the sillage EN achieves. So in terms of finding a similar vibe, get vetiver EO and try it, you will have a close idea of EN is like.

I also think thaty the choice will depend on your tastes. If you favour more complex scents, GV is the right choice. If you don't mind linear scents, EN is the choice. On the other hand, I find EN less formal than GV, so you might as well reserve GV for formal occasions and EN for everyday use. Just my two cents.
    Last edited by Pollux; 28th March 2010 at 12:23 AM.

I'd check out Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford before pulling the trigger on the Guerlain. They have the same vibe and treatment of vetiver, but the Guerlain includes tobacco and the Ford is spicier.

Blog Entries

To answer your question; yes, Encre Noir is a very safe blind buy IMO.

Encre Noir I like while I don't like Guerlain Vetiver much at all. Grey Vetiver is also a better choice than Guerlain imo. The Guerlain is overrated and only has the reputation of the Guerlain House behind it. I don't find it anything special at all.
    Imagine there were no hypothetical situations.

SALES THREAD
    Pomegranate Noir 100 ml, 95% full no box - $90

Contact through PM

Encre Noir is worth it IMO. Go for it.

EN is very harsh. I don't understand how anyone could derive pleasure from smelling it for more than a few seconds, but I've come to conclude that sensitivity is quite variable, though other olfactory perceptions may or may not be. GV has a kind of sour quality, and for that reason I prefer M; Men, which substitutes the sourness with a nice, mild tea note. Sample that one too, if you can, unless you feel that you will likely prefer a vetiver that is on the rough side of town (if so, get EN).
    Last edited by Bigsly; 28th March 2010 at 02:44 AM.

I own and love both. They are quite different with each other. The only commonality between them is the vetiver. I loved GV on the first sniff, but I had to wear EN a couple of times to develop a liking for it.
    IMO, GV is more classical and mature where as EN is more modern. GV is for day time, and EN is for evening and night time. GV works better in warmer weather and EN works better in cooler weather. GV is bright and cheerful, and EN is dark, mysterious and brooding.