Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Chanel No. 19 and the Ultimate Dilemma

Hey Dudes and Dudettes~

I have a question for you, I am hoping you can help me out (you always do!)

So lately I have had a massive urge to try Chanel no. 19. I am a big green fan and I have read all the reviews here and elsewhere and it sounds simply amazing. So here is my dilemma. I am going on a trip soon to Macy's and I am thinking if I see Chanel no. 19 EdT there I would buy it (I am not even sure if the Chanel counters around here carry it though). What formulation, in your opinion, is the best? It is basically a toss up. Either I buy the EdT for less money (probably) or search online for the Eau de Parfum version. What are your thoughts guys and girls?

Thanky!
    I'm not your toy.

Default Re: Chanel No. 19 and the Ultimate Dilemma

Or if I may change this slightly, would No. 5 be a good buy too? I am seriously itching to buy my first Chanel. The urge in me is fierce!
    I'm not your toy.

I own the edt of No.19 and am very satisfied with it. Have no shame picking it up, Kinok, it lasts and projects on me for a full day. Nothing to worry about there. Be like me and put it on your to-do list to hunt down the edp later. I'm sure the edp is going to be great and to my tastes (too many Basenoters who's reviews I count on say it will) but the edt is wonderful and I'll just have the rest of time to get the edp.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Ahhh that sounds fantaaaaastic. I was a bit worried about the EdT's longevity, but you make it sound so great. Now I just have to hope the Chanel counter at Macy's carries it.
    I'm not your toy.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

I've tried both EDT & EDP versions, though not the vintage btw. On my skin the EDP feels lush, rounder and a little more floral. Lasts longer of course. The EDT feels drier with a more pronounced vetiver. I prefer the EDT, but only as a matter of personal tastes. Either way, No.19 is a great choice as a 1st Chanel.

I have been looking into it for a while now. I was going to buy it earlier, as I am on a massive green hunt right now. However, I recently got a sample of DelRae's "Debut" and was actually kind of disgusted by it. Usually I am pretty subjective to fragrances, I don't really dislike too many, but this was just SO incredibly sharp it almost hurt. It made my stomach a little ill feeling. However, I recently purchased Metal and it is simply amazing, so I am not too worried anymore, I think it was just something or some note in Debut doing that to me. I am still very interested in no.19
    I'm not your toy.

I don't think there's a sharp element to the green with No.19, but as you point out this stuff is awfully subjective so I can't say what you'll think.

The shifts No.19 goes through in the course of a wearing are an immense delight for me. It seems rose comes out late in the day, for example, and you start by thinking it must be someone else near you wearing rose. Super cool.

I think I saw my local Macy's had it, and had testers. I sure hope that's true for you too, Kinok, but from my experience this is one scent that shifts so much a simple spray at the counter doesn't do it justice.

I'd say get a bottle and chalk it up to the vague and distressing way things in life go if you don't end up liking it.

I have the Chanel No. 19 EdP, and it quietly and seriously rocks. The floral notes take a while to fade into the background, so you might need more than a few minutes of wear to get the full impression.

I think I shall pull the trigger on it! I just cannot resist the lure (lol). Hype doesn't last this long, so there must be something good in there! I love all the notes listed there, especially rose. I have had my share of not so hot blind buys, so one more won't kill me if I end up not liking it, but I am sure that won't be the case. Now I just have to work up the courage to talk to the Chanel representative. Usually they intimidate me walking around in their black suits, hahaha. "Excuse me, miss, I will take that Chanel no.19, and yes, it is for me "
    I'm not your toy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinok View Post
    Usually they intimidate me walking around in their black suits, hahaha. "Excuse me, miss, I will take that Chanel no.19, and yes, it is for me "
    Damn straight! Man is the boss of his great smell.

When I first tested No. 19 EDT on paper at my local Macy's my impression was that it was too feminine. Testing it at a later date on my own skin made all the difference, because then it became kind of masculinized. I agree with DustB, the EDT is awesome and lasts all day on me. The EDP is not available in the U.S., but can be found online from Strawberrynet.com (a very reliable company btw). The EDP is also excellent and has a little more of a vetiver component. My suggestion is to test the EDT on your skin (2 or 3 sprays) and wear it for a day. See what you think.

Yes! I saw it was there and I think I may try it sometime. When I got to Macy's and try the EdT if I like it, I may have to try the EdP too if they are that different. I just love green scents for spring and summer. I will have to secretly buy it though. The person I am going with thinks A. I spend too much on fragrances already (which I do lol) and B. I probably should not be buying a fragrance marketed toward women. Too bad for him the only time he ever complimented me was on Midnight Poison. I think that speaks for itself! Bwhaha!
    I'm not your toy.

Another awesome Chanel to consider is No. 5 Eau Premiere. It really does make a terrific masculine, and is an EDP.

Oh god, Just what I need is something else to buy. I hope the prices aren't too steep at Macy's haha
    I'm not your toy.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post

I'd say get a bottle and chalk it up to the vague and distressing way things in life go if you don't end up liking it.
    Ah... if you don't end up liking it, you can always let ME know! (heh... me on my self-imposed buy grounding, saying something like that. Incorrigible.)
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

This green thing kind of hit me after I bought Fleur de Liane and was literally (for dramatic effect) DYING for more greens. I cannot live without my Fleur de Liane and Un Jardin series now.
    I'm not your toy.

My body chemistry absolutely destroys this scent on my skin... comes off pretty badly and extremely feminine and bright. One spray, you'll smell me across the room... I don't get it at all.

This green thing kind of hit me after I bought Fleur de Liane and was literally (for dramatic effect) DYING for more greens. I cannot live without my Fleur de Liane and Un Jardin series now.
    If you're that hot for greens, you owe it to yourself to try Guerlain's Chamade. Have you? There have been several threads on BN devoted just to that fragrance. I enjoy it just as much as No. 19, but it is an entirely different kind of green. Also, a great green marketed to men is Bowling Green by Geoffrey Beene, one of my all-time favorites.

I have not tried either of those! Sounds amazing! I am definitely going to look into those now.
    I'm not your toy.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Stay away from No 19, sweetheart!

'Stay away from the light, Carol Ann!'

Chanel Nš 19 can be perfectly worn by a man. I sometimes steal some from my Wife's wardrobe. She likes it on me.

... "Excuse me, miss, I will take that Chanel no.19, and yes, it is for me "
    I tried several female classics and releases; I observed that female SAs like this a lot, as far as I can tell by their faces and the conversation following suit. I think it lets them have the chance of avoiding the usual sales argument conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Pollux View Post
    I observed that female SAs like this a lot, as far as I can tell by their faces and the conversation following suit. I think it lets them have the chance of avoiding the usual sales argument conversation.
    An excellent point, Pollux. This has happened several times for me too.

oh good I am not so nervous now! LOL
    I'm not your toy.

I have a sample of the No. 19 edt. I've only worn it once so far. It strikes me as a little sharp and quite bitter. The rose comes out after about an hour. It's very wearable by a man, especially when tested on skin (vs. paper). Longevity is excellent. Someone smelling this on me said it was "like being in a dark forest."

No. 5 Eau Premiere is a lovely one, too. It would be personally hard for me to pull this one off. No. 5 has very specific associations for me.

Both 19 and 5 are chock-full-o'-aldehydes. You might smell "perfumey" for about a quarter hour until they die down. That said, if you're going to Macy's, why not test what you can? Try the No. 19 edt, edp if they have it, No. 5 edp (beautiful), and Eau Premiere. You've got room for all that on both arms. Then walk away for an hour. Grab a coffee. See how they develop and then head back for your favorite...?

Oh, and if the SA gives you "But that's for women" just say "I know" and pick up the tester.
    Last edited by Mr. Bon Vivant; 28th March 2010 at 07:40 AM. Reason: thoughts...
    Anakin: What was that all about?
    Obi-Wan: Well, R2 has been...
    Anakin: No loose wire jokes.
    Obi-Wan: Did I say anything?
    Anakin: He's trying.
    Obi-Wan: I didn't say anything!

-ROTS

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

This thread inspired me to wear Chanel No.19 as my SotM. I bought it for myself about a year ago, after a while thought it was too femme and gave it to my wife. Feelings change. This is quite good for a guy, especially after 15 minutes. And i am a card-carrying powerhouse classics kind of guy!
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Oh I hope you like the Chanels. No. 19 is not what it used to be (vintage is greener, sharper with more galbanum up front), but still good. Eau Premiere is beyond fabulous--clean, bright, zesty even. And try Coco edp/edt if they have it (peachy rose and spicy amber woods perhaps for next winter). A lot of guys like Coco Mademoiselle and it's ok to me, but not my favorite. Cristalle Eau Vert is worth a spritz too, but I like original Cristalle edt best (there's also an edp that has more fruit and is a different frag).

Have fun testing them!

I have all three (5 EP and Parfum, older 19 edp, and Coco edp) and adore them. Now I'm craving some of the exclusifs (22, Sycomore, Coromandel, etc.) but they wont be at Macy's.
    I offer you perfume,
    More for its pleasure than for yours;
    You perfume perfume.

--Anonymous Ancient Greek Love Lyric

Thank you for all the input everyone! I am definitely looking forward to trying them all now. If I can get away with it, I will try all the ones that I can. Kind of a funny story, I went to my local WalGreens yesterday and they had a bottle of "An interpretation of Chanel No. 5" I didn't dare to spray it on myself but I did sniff the sprayer. It smelled exactly like a fresh diaper. But I will definitely test that one too. I am actually glad to hear you say the sharpness wears off after a while. I found that my stomach doesn't really deal that well with extreme sharpness (DelRae's Debut, Holy hell!) I think I might try to score some cheap Angel (for her) and regular Poison or Fahrenheit if I can find it too.
    I'm not your toy.

Blog Entries

For a similar green vibe with a sexy rooty iris at the end, try this one. Sisley - Eau de Campagne.
    Another favorite is Christian Dior - Eau Fraiche. It is older and can be found on the internet. It is a great fresh green, too.
    Last edited by kumquat; 28th March 2010 at 03:56 PM.

Oooo that sounds good too. I do love me some Jean-Claude Ellena. It is actually more expensive than I thought though. I will have to try it after Chanel No. 19.
    I'm not your toy.

Also I have to say anyone who is reading this thread looking for green scents, Paco Rabanne's Metal is SHA-MAZING! At first sniff I was a little skeptical because it is rather heavy on the Aldehydes and I thought I was going to stick out like a sore thumb as wearing a woman's fragrance (which is pretty hard for me because I wear Midnight Poison and other "woman's" fragrances with pride) but it quickly dries down to a very soft green scent that is perfect for spring. I actually tried to order Calandre too from K-mart but after a week they sent me an e-mail saying it was out of stock, just as I suspected. Anyway, definitely give metal a try even if you are a guy! It is awesome! ^_^
    I'm not your toy.

Kinok, if you have a chance, try Bel Respiro by Chanel. It is not cheap, mostly because the bottle is so huge, but it is a great green, less floral, and very wearable for men.

I love No.19 and have several bottles in different concentrations and vintages. The EDT is the driest and airiest, IMO, but the EDP gives the most bang for the buck for power, longevity, and super-green-ness.

Ok I will do that! It is actually not a Chanel boutique though, it is just the counter at Macy's, so I am not sure if they will have the secret massive bottle collection. I desperately wish they had smaller bottles of the exclusives. There is no way in hell I could use a 200 ml bottle. I am pretty sure they wouldn't have the EdP concentration, but if they do, I would probably snag that one over the EdT.
    I'm not your toy.

Also I have to say anyone who is reading this thread looking for green scents, Paco Rabanne's Metal is SHA-MAZING! At first sniff I was a little skeptical because it is rather heavy on the Aldehydes and I thought I was going to stick out like a sore thumb as wearing a woman's fragrance (which is pretty hard for me because I wear Midnight Poison and other "woman's" fragrances with pride) but it quickly dries down to a very soft green scent that is perfect for spring. Anyway, definitely give metal a try even if you are a guy! It is awesome! ^_^
    Now you've gotten me anxious to check out Metal. Tania Sanchez gives it a 4-star rating in The Guide.

I think if they don't have 19 I could just order it when I get back home, but I know they will have No. 5 and probably Eau Premier, so I want to give those a try as well.
    I'm not your toy.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBoy View Post
    Another awesome Chanel to consider is No. 5 Eau Premiere. It really does make a terrific masculine, and is an EDP.
    I agree with this.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Ok I will do that! It is actually not a Chanel boutique though, it is just the counter at Macy's, so I am not sure if they will have the secret massive bottle collection. I desperately wish they had smaller bottles of the exclusives. There is no way in hell I could use a 200 ml bottle. I am pretty sure they wouldn't have the EdP concentration, but if they do, I would probably snag that one over the EdT.
    I agree that the exclusives should be in smaller bottles... but I dare say my (SPLURGEBINGE) bottle of Sycomore will get used, completely. In time.
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

Quote Originally Posted by actiasluna View Post
    I agree that the exclusives should be in smaller bottles... but I dare say my (SPLURGEBINGE) bottle of Sycomore will get used, completely. In time.
    I was in the Chanel boutique at South Coast Plaza last week, and the head of the cosmetic/fragrance dept. says the line will be coming out in smaller bottles sometime this Spring or Summer.

Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    I was in the Chanel boutique at South Coast Plaza last week, and the head of the cosmetic/fragrance dept. says the line will be coming out in smaller bottles sometime this Spring or Summer.
    Good news, mrclmind, that smaller bottles are on the way. I always thought the EDT bottles were too large to buy at one pop.

I agree that Chanel No. 19 can be considered a unisex. I have tried the EDP recent formulation and find it a nice warm weather green scent, not too floral. I hear the earlier versions had more leather.

I dislike how companies are removing leather notes. They even did this to Piguet's Cravache, which means "riding crop." How can you do *that* with a scent so named?
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Yay! If they are being released in smaller bottles, I am super excited! I can't wait to give them a try
    I'm not your toy.

I have the vintage EDP and tried the current EDP and EDT.
    IMO, vintage EDP > current EDP > EDT.

I have vintage edt, edp and parfum and they are all excellent. The newer No 19 is brighter and sharper, if that is good or bad is up to the wearer!

IMO any concentration of vintage beats the current formulation, but my favourite of today is edp, then parfum and last edt.

Blog Entries

I wear the edt of No 19 and love it. Like the edt of Cristalle it has a gorgeous sharp quality that after a bit gives me a very close-to-the-skin drydown. I don't really look to these 2 for sillage. I also wear Chamade edp often and dig how it takes 12 + hours fully to reach drydown. SO glad to hear that some of you are enjoying Metal! Spectacular green floral with a bite. Maybe a new thread on that one?
    jtd

i've smelled at least six different version and i am baffled with the differences. i think they actually belong to different categories. there are common grounds though, the scent profile is very distinctive, you can still recognize that. i recommend smelling different versions first, as many as you can, and then making up your mind what you want.
    my favorite is the vintage perfume. it's sensational. i do not feel the urge to wear it often, very rarely actually, i must be almost a year ago. but when the time is right it blows my mind.
    Last edited by gido; 1st April 2010 at 03:12 AM.

Sorry to bump my old topic, but I just wanted to update. The mall I went to did not have the EdT so I went ahead and bought the EdP and it FINALLY came in the mail today. I am already wearing Bulgari PH Soir so I spritzed a little on a piece of paper...and....oh...my...god. This is definitely one of the most amazing scents I have ever smelled. It is so odd I have never smelled so many different facets in a fragrance. At first it smells soapy, then grassy, then just green, but then I smell some vetiver and some leather, then its back to florals. It is simply amazing. I am so glad I bought this, an instant love. Thank you all so much for the reccomendations!
    I'm not your toy.

Glad you like your No.19. I had a similar experience when I first bought it. It is one of the true masterpieces in the perfume world.

Amouage - Tribute attar

EDIT: My bad -- I posted in the wrong thread! Ai yi yi ... one day I'll learn to read. If a mod could PLEASE move this into SoTD it would be much appreciated. Meanwhile I'll crawl back in my hole ...
    Last edited by evbo; 19th April 2010 at 04:57 PM.

Kinok,
    Thanks for the update. To tell you the truth I was a bit worried after I gave the review of my edt above, because a week later I wore the edt and found the opening sharper than I remembered and was worried that I'd blanked on that when posting above. (It wasn't a problem that it was sharper, and it was only the opening. The scent was still a full delight for the day.) I was worried that you might have got the stuff and been annoyed. Glad you scored the more rare and special edp though--and that it's such a party!

I don't mind the sharper opening of the EDT at all, and consider the EDT to be a better choice for me to wear to work than the EDP. The EDP feels like a very special fragrance that I tend to restrict to special occasions of a social nature that are not work-related.

It was definitely one of my, if not THE best, blind buy I have ever made. It is not as sharp as I expected, it is actually much smoother than Debut, which is definitely a good thing. I have this crab plum tree outside my window and it is in full bloom right now and little pink petals are falling and blowing everywhere. This is what basically what comes to my mind when I smell No. 19. The green grass and spring breeze blowing the petals around. Not too flowery, very green, and not as sharp as I expected. You were all definitely right. Once you smell this you never go back! It really makes me want to try some other Chanels now too.

I justified this buy as I didn't spend what I thought I would at the mall, so I also purchased a bottle of Fahrenheit Absolute. Not as a successful blind buy, unfortunately, but it is definitely unique. Smells like opposite ends of the spectrum. A clean soapy spring day, or dirty sweaty gasoline. Haha!
    I'm not your toy.

Kinok, now you should test Chanel No. 5 Eau Premiere.

Sur la Plage

Sorry to bump my old topic, but I just wanted to update. The mall I went to did not have the EdT so I went ahead and bought the EdP and it FINALLY came in the mail today. I am already wearing Bulgari PH Soir so I spritzed a little on a piece of paper...and....oh...my...god. This is definitely one of the most amazing scents I have ever smelled. It is so odd I have never smelled so many different facets in a fragrance. At first it smells soapy, then grassy, then just green, but then I smell some vetiver and some leather, then its back to florals. It is simply amazing. I am so glad I bought this, an instant love. Thank you all so much for the reccomendations!
    An excellent choice! I personally prefer the EDP.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBoy View Post
    Kinok, now you should test Chanel No. 5 Eau Premiere.
    +1

and Cristalle and Coco also
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Psh I typed a whole thing out and my internet died. Shortened version! I read Cristalle EdT is better than the EdP? Is that true?
    I'm not your toy.

Cristalle EDT I like, but I find the EDP disagreeable because of a strong top note that the EDT doesn't have. Again, this is not just a question of different concentrations of the same composition, but two different compositions.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    +1

and Cristalle and Coco also
    I totally agree. The Coco EDP is awesomely rich. Chanel describes it as a baroque oriental. I love orientals in general, but Coco EDP is very unique.

Sur la Plage

Psh I typed a whole thing out and my internet died. Shortened version! I read Cristalle EdT is better than the EdP? Is that true?
    I prefer the EDP.

Basenotes Institution

I have only smelled No. 19 in the vintage Eau de Parfum formulation, and tonight I was able to get ahold of a sample of current formulation Eau de Toilette.

I really liked the vtg EdP I smelled, and while the EdT I am wearing now is very recognizable as No. 19 (sharp, aldehydes, grassy, something that reminds me of lye-based soaps, etc), it seems flatter and a bit less punch than the vtg EdP. I can see why so many guys like this EdT - it smells a lot like a masculine or unisex scent. In fact, it shares a lot of the same facets of Bel Respiro, minus some of that wonderful milky leaves aura that BR has.

I'm impressed, but I still think that if I have the chance to get No. 19, I will make every attempt to get vintage (or current) EdP.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 12th May 2010 at 02:33 AM.

I too prefer the EDP. I have several minis of the EDT and the EDP is just... SMOOTH. My EDP is a tester which is obtainable for a reasonable amount, and is undoubtably genuine... so that caveat in mind... EDP. (it's the modern version, the green juice, FWIW)

Maybe Le Grand Duc can toss in his opinion about the version of 19 I have, since I sent him a little decant of the juice?
    Last edited by actiasluna; 12th May 2010 at 02:46 AM.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by actiasluna View Post
    Maybe Le Grand Duc can toss in his opinion about the version of 19 I have, since I sent him a little decant of the juice?
    Oh, but he will ... he hopes it arrives today!
    But as I've told you, I've bought an EdP for myself,
    and adore it to death, so I reckon it would be the
    same with yours.
    And, BTW, now I feel even more ashamed, that I've
    bought my own, with a sample from you on the way,
    now that I know, you only had a sample yourself.
    You are too genouros (sp?)!
    Last edited by Le Grand Duc; 12th May 2010 at 06:48 AM.

Just so I understand, you guys are talking about woman's perfume, right?