Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    AromiErotici

Default Re: Surrati - Tom Oud - a gorgeous oud oil from KSA

Quote Originally Posted by firehorse View Post
    Any update on Oudy Woody?
    I had wanted to try this for a very long time and finally got some in a swap a short while ago. I was completely disappointed in Oudy Woody since it came off on my skin as a noticeable body odor smell. It may just be my skin. All I know is it was not for me at all.

Tom Oud, on the other hand, was also sent to me and that was very good. I am now interested in the Black Oud version by Surrati, but am still hesitant because of the Oudy Woody results.

Go for Black Oud, very good (if you dont own Montale, cause is very close, no project that much nor last as long). Also isnt harsh and rancid that much as the montale.

Wore Tuscany Leather today. I liked! When i tried a sniff in the bottle, i did not liked, but wearing its different. Very great quality and rich stuff.

Very good longevity, 8+ hours (12 hours now and i can detect if i touch my nose in my wrists, but i count the first 8 hours cause still niticiable to others)

I find Oudy Woody somewhat similar to Amouage's Bahjah attar... Inferior though.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

Well...

Got my 1 tola bottle yesterday from Zahra's.

I may have gotten a bad batch, or, hell, for that matter, the wrong juice, but mine smells absolutely nothing like the real thing.

Top notes (which have been lasting for at least 4 hours) are distinctly Pine Sol with a touch of Tiger Balm astringency. It comes on very strong in the sinuses, sort of like the taste of horseradish-based wasabi, rather than the nice slow, warm, burn of real wasabi (or for that matter, real Tom Ford Oud Wood).

There is the faintest hint of the slightly-off warm wood of genuine TFOW in the drydown -- which, by the way, only barely starts to kick in about 6 hours after application. (I can still smell it on my wrist, and this is after four dish detergent scrub sessions. Good God, get it off me...)

I'm comparing them side-by-side with a spritz from a bottle at Neiman -- I had to get a new card after applying the Surrati last night and asking myself, Is my memory SO off?

Guess it's time to buy the real thing.

-Jon
    Last edited by jrd4t; 3rd May 2012 at 12:03 AM. Reason: not eligible to sell

So, followup.

I went and bought the genuine Private Blend Oud Wood.

There is absolutely no comparison at all. I would say that there's not even a hint of resemblance -- mostly because the Surrati is so strong on the menthol.

Quote Originally Posted by biogon View Post
    So, followup.

I went and bought the genuine Private Blend Oud Wood.

There is absolutely no comparison at all. I would say that there's not even a hint of resemblance -- mostly because the Surrati is so strong on the menthol.
    Quote Originally Posted by biogon View Post
    Well...

Got my 1 tola bottle yesterday from Zahra's.

I may have gotten a bad batch, or, hell, for that matter, the wrong juice, but mine smells absolutely nothing like the real thing.

Top notes (which have been lasting for at least 4 hours) are distinctly Pine Sol with a touch of Tiger Balm astringency. It comes on very strong in the sinuses, sort of like the taste of horseradish-based wasabi, rather than the nice slow, warm, burn of real wasabi (or for that matter, real Tom Ford Oud Wood).

There is the faintest hint of the slightly-off warm wood of genuine TFOW in the drydown -- which, by the way, only barely starts to kick in about 6 hours after application. (I can still smell it on my wrist, and this is after four dish detergent scrub sessions. Good God, get it off me...)

I'm comparing them side-by-side with a spritz from a bottle at Neiman -- I had to get a new card after applying the Surrati last night and asking myself, Is my memory SO off?

Guess it's time to buy the real thing.

-Jon
    I couldn't agree more. I was so excited that there could be such a wallet friendly version of TFOW. I ordered the 100mg canister and filled up a small roller with the oil when I got it. At first I was really impressed; probably because it had been quite some time since I had smelled the original stuff. After wearing it a few days it really started to give me a headache and take on a more "pine-solesque" quality. I decided to go into Bloomingdale's and sample the real Oud Wood. I will say that in the dry down of the KSA Oud Wood oil there is a slight resemblance of the real stuff, but it is just NOT worth the hours and hours of pine intensity you have to endure to get there. In my case it causes a headache before I can even get to that point. Also, in the real Oud Wood there is a really nice vanilla muskiness in the dry down which is not present in the KSA oil. After getting far too many headaches I decided to give my roller of the stuff to a coworker and the rest of the canister sits amongst my various bottles and the like...unused.

With that being said I am giving them another shot as I just ordered a canister of the Tom Tuscan Leather. I can only hope this is a better interpretation on the original.

Surrati Oud wood , is horrible and synthetic, I threw my bottle out, a total waste of money!

Quote Originally Posted by Hat and Beard View Post
    I couldn't agree more. I was so excited that there could be such a wallet friendly version of TFOW. I ordered the 100mg canister and filled up a small roller with the oil when I got it. At first I was really impressed; probably because it had been quite some time since I had smelled the original stuff. After wearing it a few days it really started to give me a headache and take on a more "pine-solesque" quality. I decided to go into Bloomingdale's and sample the real Oud Wood. I will say that in the dry down of the KSA Oud Wood oil there is a slight resemblance of the real stuff, but it is just NOT worth the hours and hours of pine intensity you have to endure to get there. In my case it causes a headache before I can even get to that point. Also, in the real Oud Wood there is a really nice vanilla muskiness in the dry down which is not present in the KSA oil. After getting far too many headaches I decided to give my roller of the stuff to a coworker and the rest of the canister sits amongst my various bottles and the like...unused.

With that being said I am giving them another shot as I just ordered a canister of the Tom Tuscan Leather. I can only hope this is a better interpretation on the original.
    So what were your final impressions of Tom Tuscan Leather? I was thinking of giving this a try...

Its that cheap i would. You might like it and its worth keeping instead of purchasing the real deal. Me i'm keeping mine, love it. I'd like a 10ml Decant of the real thing but that is all. Good version.

Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah70 View Post
    So what were your final impressions of Tom Tuscan Leather? I was thinking of giving this a try...
    It's a MUCH better interpretation! One I actually wear! I will say that the raspberry note that's in there is pretty predominant at first, but it does calm down rather quickly making way for the leather and other notes. Much like the Surrati - Oud Wood; a little goes A LOOOOONG way! I would recommend putting on a few dabs and rubbing it in...a lot.

Interested in the Tom Tuskan Leather; anyone got any links to a 1 tola / 12ml source for the US? I'd love to try that one but I have no idea what I'd do with a huge jar of oil.