Code of Conduct

Default Chamade comparison

I have three chamade versions, a current EDT, a current pure parfum, and now a vintage pure parfum.
    So far I've only tried hte vintage on my wrist, so can't tell if it has the drydown I love in the modern version (I'll wear tomorrow0

Wanted to open a discussion on this classic, i'm trying to determine which version to buy.
    Thanks!
    Passionate supporter of parrot welfare www.thegabrielfoundation.org

Blog Entries

Default Re: Chamade comparison

I have both the EDP and the EDT and like the EDP the best. I have not tried the extrait, but hope to do so.
    Last edited by N_Tesla; 24th March 2010 at 11:54 PM.

I have vintage PDT and have smelled new extrait and EDT on paper. The newer formulae are beautiful, but indeed different. They are clean and sparkling while the vintage is more mossy and mellow.

The PDT is so powerful--I decanted some into a secondary vial so I can dab it on. Otherwise I can't take it, lol. I found the modern EDT to be very long lasting considering its concentration.
    Last edited by Asha; 25th March 2010 at 01:07 AM.

Is a EDP still available? i know you can get it on line, but I don't know how old it is.
    Asha- spot on comparision- the modern is more sparkling on me too. I wonder if its becaues the vintage has 'aged' a bit?

BayKAT, I think it is perhaps the oakmoss content--I'm pretty sure the vintage will have more.

I don't know about modern EDP--perhaps Nicola Tesla can fill in the blanks.

I have the EdP in the current packaging, and the batch number suggests it was made in 2008. I bought it a few weeks ago from FragrnaceX.

There's no mention of oakmoss or treemoss on the packaging.
    Last edited by sean-dt; 25th March 2010 at 02:47 AM.

Hillaire

Well, I have smelled the vintage edc, a vintage parfum (which was not the freshest) and the newest edt. And how uncool is it I like the latest edt best? I am weird about Guerlains, though, as it's the single house I like the edt versions of, generally. As well as the single house I prefer a handful of reformulations from.

I like the really bitter citric quality of the new edt, along with the lack of animalic notes. Just for this particular scent. Moreover, the longevity is really nice.

That said, if you have Sous les Vent and Les Temps dUn Fete already, it might be the most redundant. And any extrait Guerlain vintage anything is a true treasure.

You are so right, Hillaire. I have LTd'UF and SlV and love both...I'm sure that is why I'm attracted to Chamade.

Banned

I agree with Hillaire. The current EdT is so fine. Now I will really have to get it again!

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    I have vintage PDT and have smelled new extrait and EDT on paper. The newer formulae are beautiful, but indeed different. They are clean and sparkling while the vintage is more mossy and mellow.

The PDT is so powerful--I decanted some into a secondary vial so I can dab it on. Otherwise I can't take it, lol. I found the modern EDT to be very long lasting considering its concentration.
    I agree with you, Asha. I've been collecting Chamade in its different incarnations for almost twenty years, so I've had the vintage parfum, vintage pdt and edt (although at the time it wasn't vintage since it was new), current edp and edt, and vintage edc. I love them all, but they all have some striking differences. The parfum is sublime of course, but it wears closer to the skin than I generally like. My favorites are the vintage pdt and the current edp - there's a detectable difference in the base which is probably due to oakmoss, but the current version is still breathtaking. I love experimenting with layering them, and I like pdt (or edp) with a gossamer spray of edc the best, but parfum with edt is also pretty amazing. Body creme would be bliss!

So, I think you should get as many versions as you come across - a wardrobe of a single fragrance is an incredible way to get the full experience with all the different nuances. Just start with whichever one you like best and build from there. Have fun - whatever you decide, you'll love it!

I have the extract from the early 00s, infact had two bottles, one the fancy heart one the other the spray. On me it was powdery and woody with aldehydes in the opening. I have never seen the edp.
    DONNA

hmm, I now want to try the current EDP, which I haven't yet. hehe! This is my favorite green, and le temps d'un fete is my second favorite (I was surprised to see that one pop up!)

I own all three current versions: EDT, EDP, and parfum. On me the parfum is extremely projective with strong sillage, especially in warmer weather. Only one small spray of it is sufficient for many hours.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBoy View Post
    I own all three current versions: EDT, EDP, and parfum. On me the parfum is extremely projective with strong sillage, especially in warmer weather. Only one small spray of it is sufficient for many hours.
    Hm...I've never tried a Chamade parfum spray, but I bet I'd get more projection that way than by dabbing. I have a tendency to be a bit lavish though, so maybe that's not such a good idea for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post
    Hm...I've never tried a Chamade parfum spray, but I bet I'd get more projection that way than by dabbing. I have a tendency to be a bit lavish though, so maybe that's not such a good idea for me.
    It isn't sold as a spray, but I pipetted some into a small 5 ml glass spray vial that I ordered from Accessories for Fragrance. The spray from the vial is not a humongous amount, but is just enough in my opinion.

Actually, I've seen a few of those 30ml parfum spray testers on eBay...not at the moment, naturally. They're usually a pretty good deal per ml, but I suppose decanting a bit of my own would be the best value for me in the long run.

Correction - there is one on eBay right now, but with a BIN price of $300 it's not one of the good deals I was talking about.
    Last edited by Evangeline; 25th March 2010 at 07:21 PM.

Can one of you tell me your wearing time for each strength, parfum, EDP and EDT? Thanks!

Chamade in parfum is a real powerhouse. I think it could even beat the Chanels.
    DONNA

Quote Originally Posted by BayKAT View Post
    Can one of you tell me your wearing time for each strength, parfum, EDP and EDT? Thanks!
    For me it's all day (8+ hours) for each of them.

It lasts all day on me, too, but like I said, I layer it and I also usually get a fair amount on my clothes which helps the longevity, but it's never been a problem anyway. That said, I wouldn't expect the edc or the modern edt to last as long on their own, but the pdt or parfum alone probably lasts about six or seven hours on me.

For some reason, I find both Mitsouko and Chamade in the parfum to be somewhat softer, less aggressive, and more unisex than in the EdP or in the case of Chamade the EdT. Perhaps it's simply because it's easier to control the doseage, and I try to use it sparingly. I've decided to give up trying to find vintage versions of both: the current may not be as good as the original, but they are both still so much better than just about anything else.

I wore the vintage PdT last night, and just as easily slipped into my fragrant happy space as I do with hte current version. This just tells me I don't need to break the bank trying to track down a vintage bottle of this; the modern will do just nicely. i'm really on a Chamade kick lately, I want to wear it every day!