Code of Conduct

Default Really smokey fragrances - Tourmaline, Fumidus

Thinking about a purchase in this direction, but have not tried either of these. I have been wearing Avignon a lot this winter and might want to take it a step further...

Any input? Recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

-Slim
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

Default Re: Really smokey fragrances - Tourmaline, Fumidus

Black Tourmaline seems like an ideal choice in this scenario. BT takes the 'smoky' concept a few notches higher -- a superbly assembled campfire smoke accord sitting on top of a hardcore mineralic incense -- doesn't get any better than this, IMO. It also seems the logical step to take after Avignon.

Fumidus is good as well -- pretty hardcore scotch accord with a deep dirty rooty vetiver. Personally I don't like it though -- not my style.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

I second the Tourmaline. It gives the sensation of bone-dry smokey coals. One of my faves!

Avignon is a favorite of mine too, but I don't think of it as particularly smokey. If you want reeeeally smokey you can stay within the CdG family and try Tea, from the Leaves series; it's dry, dry dry, smoky, smokey black tea. It's avant-garde but a little too unfriendly for me.

A milder smoke is Cumming by Alan Cumming; charred wood, dirt, peat, leather. It feel quite light and "see-through", and I spent my sample quickly, I might need a big decant of this one.

Tribute Amouage

Candle Light Homme by Dorin smells like burnt embers to me.

Fireside Intense from Sonoma Scent Studio is pretty smokey. Deep smoke.

Essence Of John Galliano is great, from what I've smelled. Frankincense and bonfire with a musky drydown.

Another favorite is the intensely smoky fragrance is Incense Noir, by Ava Luxe. It's top notes are extremely smoky and salty, in a way that's hard to describe. It reminds me a lot of castoreum, though I'm not sure if that's in there as a distinct note per se.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by SoGent View Post
    Fireside Intense from Sonoma Scent Studio is pretty smokey. Deep smoke.
    +1 Campfire delight. Also give Winter Woods a sniff if you prefer it smoother.

I agree with Amit, except that I would wear Fumidus now and then if I plunked down the $240 for it. It is smokey in an entirely different way than the others, though. As Amit indicated, it's more like smokey Islay scotch than burning wood or incense smoke. It sounds like Black Tourmaline is more what you're looking for. I'm not a fan of the Sonoma one.
    Last edited by Tonyprince; 21st February 2010 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Added

Give Gris Clair by Serge Lutens a try. I love it but I'm still playing with this. I'm concerned about buying a full bottle. Every time I wear a sample, people around me make comments that they smell something burning or that they smell an electrical fire! It's annoying to have to explain.
    Also, CdG Tea and 2MAN are smokey.

Blog Entries

Two of the smokiest ones I know of:

Annick Goutal Eau de Fier
    Jean Pascal Pour Homme

The first one is discontinued, and very hard to find.
    The second is hard to find in USA, but available for very reasonable prices if you find a source.
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

Lonestar Memories....Smoke,Smoke,and more Smoke,and a touch of Leather thrown in for good measure
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

Quote Originally Posted by Ron199 View Post
    Lonestar Memories....Smoke,Smoke,and more Smoke,and a touch of Leather thrown in for good measure
    This one is especially good if you want to smell like you've just gotten back from a BBQ.

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    Essence Of John Galliano is great, from what I've smelled. Frankincense and bonfire with a musky drydown.

Another favorite is the intensely smoky fragrance is Incense Noir, by Ava Luxe. It's top notes are extremely smoky and salty, in a way that's hard to describe. It reminds me a lot of castoreum, though I'm not sure if that's in there as a distinct note per se.
    +1 on the Incense Noir.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Fumidus is so hardcore, it's astonishing really! I can't wait until I have the courage to try wearing it hehehehe...

Try Encens Flamboyant from Annick Goutal. I picked one up on ebay for around 50 bucks. I was in your boat a few months ago, and it fit the bill. I don't oftem reach for it, but it has great longevity.
    Also, if you love Avignon, you should at least sample Zagorsk. It seems to keep burning where Avignon left off...

Fumidus is great but it's a very challenging scent. I recommend grabbing at least a 2ml sample and keep going back to it every so often. Another great smokey scent is Patchouli 24. I highly recommend both. Not a fan of Tourmaline, it's short lived and has some vicks vapour action.
    Last edited by nsamadi; 22nd February 2010 at 12:14 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    Fumidus is great but it's a very challenging scent. I recommend grabbing at least a 2ml sample and keeping back to it every so often. Another great smokey scent is Patchouli 24. I highly recommend both...
    What he said ^

Fumidus is one of the most unique. It is quite daunting at first but really mellows out quite nicely. Good silage and longevity.

Black Tourmaline doesn't last long on me and smells a little, I don't know...old lady-ish--high class lady, mind you...but the smoke is not the dominant note to my senses.

Eau du Fier...all time favourite. Really smoky good silage and longevity.

I have Eau du Fier and save it for special occasions. I have had samples of Fumidus and loved it...looking for a larger decant at this time, BTW...but only wore it when I really wanted to make a hard edged, "I-don't-give -a-damn" statement.
    Tight Stitches
    DWFII--Member HCC

Yes sir .... either way. They're both very good.

Hey Folks,
    Thanks for all the suggestions. Sounds like I really need to order some samples. Honestly I have trouble with boozy notes, so Fumidus may not do it for me.
    Tourmaline sounds more up my alley at the moment.
    I have tried Lonestar Memories, though only once, and I should probably give it a couple days of full wearing. It was just so butch. There was some note in it that didnt agree with me.
    Eau du Fier - Yeah I need to try that one. I keep forgetting about it, then want to try it when it is discussed.
    Patchouli 24 - Yeah, I can't stomach the whole LeLabo thing.
    Gris Clair, CdG Tea and 2MAN - All great scents. I own 2Man and loved Gris Clair. I tried Tea a couple different times and never liked it. There are better black tea scents and there are better CDG scents.
    Incense Noir - Ya' know, I have never tried anything by Ava Luxe. I keep getting distracted. Too many of them sound great. I need to do about a month of Ava Luxe sampling....

-Slim
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

MPG Eau des Iles is the king of smoke (although its not one of my faves).
    -

I'm on a crazy Black Tourmaline kick lately. It all started with a buddy of mine, who camps a lot (so his jacket is saturated with campfire smoke), drinks a lot and quite frankly, needs to shower a bit more. The thing is, he smells amazing. So weird, I know.

Anyway, Black Tourmaline smells like him but ten times better. It smells like campfire smoke, cardamom, pepper, leather and every other masculine smell you can think of, without ever going into "perfumey" territory. It just smells like a man. I love it.

My number rec for a smokey fragrance.

Sidenote: Fumidus is real good too, but it's a bit too butch, so Black Tourmaline takes the cake.
    Sales thread here