Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: What is your favorite Yves Saint Laurent fragrance?

Voters
156. You may not vote on this poll
  • Body Kouros

15 9.62%
  • Jazz

1 0.64%
  • Kouros

26 16.67%
  • L'Homme

5 3.21%
  • La Nuit De L'Homme

9 5.77%
  • Live Jazz

13 8.33%
  • M7

35 22.44%
  • M7 Fresh

3 1.92%
  • Opium

21 13.46%
  • Rive Gauche

18 11.54%
  • Yves Saint Laurent Pour Homme

7 4.49%
  • Other

3 1.92%

Default Favorite Yves Saint Laurent fragrance?

Yves Saint Laurent is probably my favorite fragrance house due to a combination of things. All the scents are well crafted, inexpensive, unique and appeal to me.

Which YSL fragrance is your favorite? If you picked other put which one you like.
    Last edited by MrFragranceReview; 28th March 2010 at 02:12 AM.
    Imagine there were no hypothetical situations.

SALES THREAD
    Pomegranate Noir 100 ml, 95% full no box - $90

Contact through PM

Default Re: Favorite Yves Saint Laurent fragrance?

M7. It is by far their best, in my opinion.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

I was never a big fan of YSL.
    In their men's line I like Opium EdP the most.
    Best female is Baby Doll ... no, not a fan!

Sur la Plage

Kouros!
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Probably Live Jazz. I'm just in love with how wonderfully refreshing it is, I can't wait till summer rolls round.

I don't like voting for one but I picked RGPH. Just too good and versatile. Kouros and Body Kouros also worthy of a vote.

it has gotta be M7. Love the whole white chocolate vibe behind it

top 3 are going to be m7, body kouros and rive gauche. i know this forum too well LOL

Quote Originally Posted by joey86 View Post
    it has gotta be M7. Love the whole white chocolate vibe behind it
    I prefer the banana and pudding notes in M7...

??

LOL Sorry I'm having a horrible Saturday night writing a paper for a science journal.
    Last edited by L'Aventurier; 28th March 2010 at 02:59 AM.
    Sales thread here

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by L'aventurier View Post
    I prefer the banana and pudding notes in M7...

??
    LOOOOL! Yeah, I didn't get the sweet Joey's white chocolate thing either!

Quote Originally Posted by Le Grand Duc View Post
    LOOOOL! Yeah, I didn't get the sweet Joey's white chocolate thing either!
    its okay....we're all special in our own way

maybe i just see things a little differently but ever since someone pointed out the chocolate vibe in Egoiste, i got the white chocolate one in M7. Or maybe it just smells that way on my innocent, pristine skin

It has to be M7 for me also, but I'm really loving La Nuit at the moment too. Very underrated IMO.

Rive Gauche pour homme, for sure

Have to go with Nuit Homme
    Gary

I've always been impressed with YSL for being so bold for a designer firm. Releasing Rive Gauche was a daring move in '04 because 70s-styled fougeres like that had been "passe" since, well, the 70s. And Kouros? Just smell it and you know how gutsy YSL was to release it at any time.

My favorite YSL scent of course is Kouros, but I also totally love Rive Gauche and Jazz. YSL Pour Homme is also a great timeless classic.
    Last edited by shamu1; 28th March 2010 at 04:22 AM.

Jazz Prestige, by far. It's a crime that it's been discontinued.
    Rare, vintage, and niche off-site sales.
    Splits: O'driu, La Via del Profumo/AbdesSalaam Attar, Nasomatto, Chanel Les Exclusifs, Profumi del Forte, Mona di Orio, Kurkdjian, Slumberhouse.
    New atomizer and decanting supplies for sale.
    For me a work of fiction exists only insofar as it affords me what I shall bluntly call aesthetic bliss, that is a sense of being somehow, somewhere, connected with other states of being where art (curiosity, tenderness, kindness, ecstasy) is the norm. - Vladimir Nabokov

I 2nd everything Shamu1 said

What I find amazing now that I'm looking at the responses is that YSL has a body of work that appeals both to younger and more mature Basenoters.
    Amazing house. Now I have to try Jazz.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    Now I have to try Jazz.
    Jazz is criminally underrated. If you like sandalwood, then Jazz is a must try. It's the perfect sandalwood-based fougere, IMO.

Current fave from YSL, subject to change at any given moment:

Snarky is as snarky does.

Quote Originally Posted by joey86 View Post
    its okay....we're all special in our own way

maybe i just see things a little differently but ever since someone pointed out the chocolate vibe in Egoiste, i got the white chocolate one in M7. Or maybe it just smells that way on my innocent, pristine skin
    Hey, thats cool Joey. I just know that you have great taste I picked M7 as well. Overall, I get a sort of cherry vibe to it. I'm horrible at describing notes, though. I just know its a great fragrances. Alot of guys dismiss the new formulation, but I think it is a great fragrances.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge, Concentré D'Orange Verte...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Voted Kouros.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Very difficult choice for me as YSL is one of my favorite houses.
    I love mostly everything from them.
    Jazz, as mentioned by some posters above, is terribly underrated. I find it extremely complex and satisfying.
    Live Jazz is such a unique take on summer fragrances taking the mint route and ditching the ubiquitous citrus theme.
    Kouros. It's an eternal classic, IMO.
    YSL pour homme is a long lasting (rare attribute for a lemon scent) summer frag.
    Rive Gauche. Yuck. I don't like this at all.
    M7 is the one that gets my vote. It's unique and exhibits attributes that are common with much more expensive frags out there.
    Revolutionary in a way since it was so unique when it was launched. I find it extremely satisfying whenever I wear it.
    M7 Fresh is nice too with a dollop of grapefruit sweetness along with the medicinal M7.

Blog Entries

Unfortunately none of them for me so far. I've tried Rive Gauche, M7, Body Kouros, L'homme, and La Nuit De L'Homme, and none of them have been for me. The closest to being something I'd wear is La Nuit. I'm looking forward to trying Live Jazz though. I'm hopeful that it is more to my tastes.

Basenotes Plus

Vintage Opium parfum. But I agree YSL was a fantastic fragrance house, that is until the arrival of L'Homme & La Nuit. Pffftt...!

Voted for Live Jazz (I wore it a lot in summer -99) but I love M7 (hub wears it), too.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Basenotes Plus

Body Kouros.

I have, and like, YSL pour homme. I tried Rive Gauche P.H. and M7 but I didn't like them. Never tried the others.
    Jan Pieter

I wanted to tick Kouros but mistakenly ticked and clicked Body Kouros. Sorry.

I do think YSL's range of perfumes are well crafted. One of my favourite houses.

Had to vote for Kouros.

My apologies to M7 and Live Jazz.

M7, by a far margin!
    Puts the boldness to the extreme, yet SO good!

Several, the reason why I did not vote: YSL Pour Homme, Kouros, Jazz and Rive Gauche.

I voted for Rive Gauche PH, put I like Opium PH and pour Homme very much too

M7 hands down.

I truly appreciate the artistry of Kouros, but I never wear it, the same goes for Body Kouros. The rest of the men's offerings don't do much for me - I actually dislike L'Homme intensely.
    However, I'm a huge fan and wear 3 of their feminine offerings: Opium, Rive Gauche and Y.

Body Kouros only for the strong.
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

I have an easy choice, as I love just one on the list and cannot tolerate any of the others: Body Kouros.

Up until today I had tried all but one - Live Jazz. On my skin, within seconds I could only smell coriander, which is just not fresh. I really dont want to smell like I have not eaten anything but curry for the last week.

Hard choice but Opium EDP

M7. It was the first expensive fragrance I've bought, and it until today my favorite. I also enjoy M7 Fresh, Opium EDP, Kouros Fraicheur and Body Kouros

Funny how the coriander in Live Jazz comes across so powerfully on some people's skin. For me, the mint and citrus dominate. It is the YSL I wear most, but I didn't vote, as I have yet to try some of the big hitters here, particularly Kouros and Body Kouros.

Regards,
    T

Quote Originally Posted by TBoner View Post
    Funny how the coriander in Live Jazz comes across so powerfully on some people's skin. For me, the mint and citrus dominate....
    I totally agree T. I experience Live Jazz just as you do.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge, Concentré D'Orange Verte...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

DeepSilence

Opium is my favourite.
    could i have several choice in this poll ??!!
    Last edited by DeepSilence; 28th March 2010 at 08:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Natch View Post
    It has to be M7 for me also, but I'm really loving La Nuit at the moment too. Very underrated IMO.
    I definitely second this. La Nuit De L'Homme is quickly becoming one of my favorite fragrances, very underrated.
    Imagine there were no hypothetical situations.

SALES THREAD
    Pomegranate Noir 100 ml, 95% full no box - $90

Contact through PM

Body Kouros !
    I definitely smell a mix of very beautiful eucalyptus and some incense, not much else, but the feeling is very natural and comforting to me, almost medicinal but not in a hospital way. I wouldn't say it's too much strong, though, not light either but definitely well proportioned, just one to apply sparingly.

Not a big fan of YSL's mens line-up, but Paris is one of my all-time favourites.

M7 is a winner.

I have to say I don't think YSL is that good when it comes to male fragrances. Probably one of the weakest of all the major houses. M7 I hate, YSL pour homme is just squished lemons, L'Homme is weak, Rive Gauche is a powdery mess after a good start, Kouros lost its appeal for me in the eighties when I realised it actually wasn't that great to wear, if I want to smell unwashed I'll just stop washing. Jazz is awful.

The only one I like is the only one I now own which is Opium. And god the bottle and packaging for that is bloody awful too, which is a shame for a nice scent. Could they have made that cap any cheaper in feel?
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

I haven't tried enough of them to truly weigh in on which is the BEST, but I love Rive Gauche and Live Jazz. Both will always be in my wardrobe. I'm looking forward to trying M7 but am holding off until the fall on that one. I have yet to try Kouros but am eminently intrigued by it.

On the negative side- I haven't been impressed with Jazz. It smells a little generic to me and fails to hold my interest. There is also a rather plastic note that is off putting and the nutmeg is too strong.

Opium is a nice fragrance, but I like it better on a woman. It is a little rich and sweet for me. My girlfriend uses mine every now and then, and I really enjoy it on her.
    Last edited by adiloren; 2nd April 2010 at 03:33 PM.

M7 ahead of Kouros makes me laugh! M7 is a simple, sweet cologne, if that's your thing.

I like a number of them, but Opium pour Homme is the one that stands out for me.

Aaah, almost impossible to choose from Kouros, Opium EDP, M7 and Rive Gauche.
    As much as I love Kouros, I must say M7 is better, no, Opium EDP, no, Rive Gauce is the best, nooo, Kouros, aaah, M7 !

Jimi Hendrix

Yves Saint Laurent Pour Homme....Citrus opening, Floral heart, Woody dry-down. There's everything in this fragrance, but the kitchen sink. How could I not vote for it? Old school? Perhaps. Dated? Maybe so, but still can hold It's own against many of today's offerings in the market place.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

Quote Originally Posted by Ron199 View Post
    Yves Saint Laurent Pour Homme....Citrus opening, Floral heart, Woody dry-down. There's everything in this fragrance, but the kitchen sink. How could I not vote for it? Old school? Perhaps. Dated? Maybe so, but still can hold It's own against many of today's offerings in the market place.
    I wanted to write something but hadn't taken the time. You said it.

I am only familiar with Kouros, M7, and Rive Gauche. I can't say that any of them really wow me. They are OK but nothing special to me. If I were forced to choose, I would say Rive Gauche, even though I don't think it's that great.

I thought I had it all figured out and then purchased Body Kouros. I don't think I have an answer any longer. This stuff is just flat out awesome. Pretty much why I said YSL is the top house in another thead. Everything they make is either very unique, very good, or both!

M7 from bottle to fragrance one of the best things Tom Ford did while at YSL.

Jazz Prestige

Live Jazz! I'm a sucker for fresh scents that don't smell mainstream.

Deleted - because I'm confusing two fragrance houses.
    Last edited by Sugandaraja; 3rd April 2010 at 11:21 PM.