Code of Conduct

Default Oriental Fragrances?

I love Armani Code. It's one of my absolute favorites, but it's also one of the favorites of half of the people I know. Would you all happen to know some good alternatives? Preferably something complex and a bit dark. Open to many suggestions and I'll try everything suggested if I can find it.

Default Re: Oriental Fragrances?

It depends upon which notes or accords you find pleasing. I could list a couple dozen or more available and reasonably priced "oriental" frags, but you might dislike all of them !

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    ... but you might dislike all of them !
    ... but ... but ... nobody dislikes Chergui.

Ah, yes, the usual on BN: suggest an expensive niche frag for a guy in love with a designer frag. Oh well.

Well, i wasn’t entirely serious, as the should have indicated. But Chergui isn’t really expensive for an EdP in my opinion. That it’s niche could help with the "everyone else wears it, too"-problem. Maybe it isn’t dark enough, though.

I was kind of joking as well. In any case, I'll give an example: Jacomo Rouge. It's a dry, incense-strong oriental with a gourmand touch (vanillic). The top notes are problematic in terms of olfactory fatigue, but that is easy enough to avoid. Is that helpful? If not, it's hard for me to know what kind of frag the OP would really like (the way he likes Code),
    Last edited by Bigsly; 23rd March 2010 at 08:02 PM.

Can’t speak for the OP, but from you description i would buy it. Seems nice, has great reviews, too. You even save money.

Where can I find a sample of Chergui? Because I don't think my local perfume stores will have any for me to sample. I don't have a problem spending money if it's something I'd really like.

I'll try to find the Jacomo Rouge to give it a shot.

Don't be afraid to toss out any idea. I think my favorite characteristic in code is how even though its citrus it's possible to wear it in the evening.

I noticed that tuccini.com has Jacomo Rouge at the lowest price I've ever seen.

What are some others? You said you could toss out 12 and I only see 1! I'm looking to compare here :P

Eva Pasco

I find Estee Lauder Cinnabar dark and mysterious.

I need to know what you are responding to in Code, so right now I have no way to know what to recommend, but here are some (don't blame me if you hate them):

Envy
    Carven Homme
    ST Dupont Signature
    Jacomo Silver
    Polo Double Black
    CdG's original Parfum
    Diesel Zero Plus
    Jaipur Homme
    Brit
    Witness
    Python (women's)
    Magnetism
    Baldessarini Del Mar
    Gucci Pour Homme
    Dunhill Desire
    Rochas Lui
    Cuba Orange
    Shalimar Light
    Baby Blue Jeans
    Lalique Pour Homme (lion)
    Last edited by Bigsly; 24th March 2010 at 07:31 PM.

I think its a combination of the spice (which is in many oriental frags already) and the citrus that comes through.

I already know I like Gucci Envy and Brit if that helps. I'll take down the names of the frags here that I haven't tried before and do some sniffing around at my local perfume store. Thanks! (And don't worry, I won't blame you. Information is beautiful, and every scent I try and don't like is just part of the process of elimination.)

Hi,
    sample YSL KOUROS (love or hate it) and OPIUM PH EDT/EDP; cheap and easy to get

You can get samples of Chergui from Aedes, Luckyscent and The Perfumed Court. I recommend Aedes. I am sure there are other sources too.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorag View Post
    ... but ... but ... nobody dislikes Chergui.
    +1 for Chergui! Are you near a Barneys?

Never heard of Aiedes, Luckyscent, The Perfumed Court or Barneys. Ever. I'll look into it though.

IM- a general where are you (close to big city department or mid-city dept stores, coastal or interior)
    Are you open to online buying/sampling,
    your post is Oriental but it sounds like you are leaning towards an Oriental Spicy.
    Unisex or men?
    Cost is not an issue anyway, even expensive bottles can be bought in decant size, sometimes at a discound if you keep your eye on Internet decanting sites when they run specials.
    Passionate supporter of parrot welfare www.thegabrielfoundation.org

Actually, do try to open up your mind to trying the "femme" stuff. some can be quite masculine as well.

Tried a bunch from Bigsly's list, ended up getting a bottle of Dunhill Desire. Very nice stuff! Really good longevity.

Quote Originally Posted by IMightBeWrong View Post
    Tried a bunch from Bigsly's list, ended up getting a bottle of Dunhill Desire. Very nice stuff! Really good longevity.
    Hello. I'm a new member here, so I don't have a whole hell of a lot of experience (I can't even distinguish single notes in colognes other than maybe vetiver, patchouli, and sandalwood) but I'd have to say go with a scent from Bulgari. Their "Bulgari pour Homme Soir" scent is absolutely dark & mysterious, yet gentle at the same time. To me, most of Bulgari's stuff smells very original, exotic, & dark. Definitely dark. I'm sitting here with Bulgari Black on right now and as strange as it is and as much as I generally dislike vanilla, I can't stop sniffing my wrists.