Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Notes your nose just doesn't like~

This topic is mainly just for fun. I was browsing some random fragrances and reading note pyramids and thought this might be fun to talk about. What notes for you do you specifically detest? This may be just because they don't smell good to you, or you associate them with something bad.

For me personally, I absolutely HATE HATE HATE the smell of carnation. If there is carnation in anything, I can instantly detect it and it makes me ill to my stomach. I associate carnation with the smell of funeral homes, and it literally makes my stomach turn. If someone wanted to kill me, they would simply have to spritz me with CDG Red Carnation. Instant fetal position.

Anyway, what notes do you not like? ^_^
    I'm not your toy.

Default Re: Notes your nose just doesn't like~

I am not a fan of vetiver. However, I can tolerate it when its surrounded by other notes.

I hate lily of the valley in fragrances. It gives me nausea. I hate Donna Karan Gold and Narciso Rodriguez Essence exactly because i'm very sensible for their lily of the valley accord.
    I like honey but it depends of it's smell. Some honey fragrances, like Miel du Bois, have a cat pee smell to my nose.

The one thing I never like is the super-popular vanilla . Just can't stand the stuff.
    I usually don't like amber.
    I struggle with patchouli -- occasionally it is earthy and lean (great!), mostly it is tangy and buttery-sweet (not so great).
    Hence, most orientals never get past my starting gate.
    Last edited by odysseusm; 28th March 2010 at 06:33 PM.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

I also reminded that i don't like some almond fragrances. Almond seems to get two different smells on my skin: bitter liqueur or wet dog. The almond wet dog fragrances i dislike (lush snowcake has a strong wet dog scent on me).

I hate anything that has a strong smell of leather in it. Vetiver is fine if in moderation and I'm not keen on patchouli or heavy woods either in the bottom notes.

Fig. If there is a trace of this note, or a hint in the opening, heart or drydown I'm OK with it. If It's Fig dominate in any phase of It's progression, count me out.The stronger the note is, the more I dislike it.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

+3 on patchouli. That's the only note I can think of that my nose just doesn't care for.

Cumin and cinnamon, but far more in food than in frags

Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    The one thing I never like is the super-popular vanilla . Just can't stand the stuff.
    I usually don't like amber.
    I struggle with patchouli -- occasionally it is earthy and lean (great!), mostly it is tangy and buttery-sweet (not so great).
    Hence, most orientals never get past my starting gate.
    I'm with you, particularly on vanilla. However, I don't mind the vanilla in Caron PuH, though I don't love it. That said, one of my goals is to find an oriental that I can get along with. The closest I've come was ST Dupont Signature PH, but alas, just too sweet.
    Patchouli...well, I love the stuff, for the most part, unless it is of the buttery-sweet variety you mentioned (good description).

Regards,
    T

Dependent

Far from hate, but I dislike grapefruit notes that are overly fresh/sharp. Or overly sweet berry notes, but it really depends on how they blend with the other notes/accords in a particular scent.
    Last edited by MFJ; 28th March 2010 at 07:18 PM.

Some notes are "problematic" rather than bad per se... Mint, Pine, Birch Tar, Tobacco, Patchouli, Leather, Vanilla, Aquatics, and Cedar all come to mind as notes that can beautiful some times and horrible at others, depending on the treatment of the note. Mint for the longest time was one of the few notes I hated, but experience has brought me in contact with a number of gorgeous fragrances where mint is clearly detectable.

I would agree with you on pine. My dad used to wear Aspen and I thought it ruined me from pine forever. However I recently smelled L'artisans' Fou D'absinthe and it was amazing! My pine hatred is definitely cured.
    I'm not your toy.

Lavender, but in small amounts it's not an issue; same with violet leaf and geranium. I generally dislike the strong floral notes in "women's" frag because I find them to be irritating after a while (not at first). Birch tar type leather is also something I find quite unpleasant.

Dominant vetiver and tuberose are problematic for me. Not impossible, but challenging.
    Last edited by tott; 28th March 2010 at 07:42 PM.

vetiver, it smells like death. like dead insects with dust,ewwww.

Civet, Cumin, and Musk.

Also, cedar and anise.

The first list reeks on my skin and the second are dry and bitter

Clary sage for me. I have some scents that have it and it is fortunately usually a top note that burns off soon.

Civet, and that big, sickening note in Opium Pour Homme (bourbon maybe?).

Synthetic foody, candy smells... Hanae Mori H.M. was a total scrubber for me because of that

SOME aldehydes and indoles make me sneezy and make my eyes water... some of them I'll tolerate though if they burn off quickly enough or if I can subdue them with a complimentary layering. (I don't think I'm allergic, I simply think they hit that semantic memory of one perfume from my past that someone OVERAPPLIED to the point that still I react that way now.)
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

I completely detest full natural rose - I absolutely HATE it.
    I also want to add tea and fig leaves or twigs to my list.
    Last edited by SoGent; 30th March 2010 at 01:07 AM.

Rose, too.
    I could like a fragrance containing it if the rose is well blended with the other notes, but the rose smell alone is totally nauseating and disgusting to me.

I actually love a lot of roses but I agree I can't really handle the fresh and dewy rose. I own Voleur de Roses which I love but I tried Rosy de Palma from ELDO and thought it was absolutely disgusting. WAAAY to fresh for me.
    I'm not your toy.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    Clary sage for me. I have some scents that have it and it is fortunately usually a top note that burns off soon.
    This for me too. Also Bay, Cumin, Lavender, and Birch Tar. Though there are exceptions to every rule, so I don't write off anything just by seeing these notes listed.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Cucumber.

Probably the worst smell of any edible object that has not been processed by fermentation or otherwise, to my nose at least.
    If fragrance has a gender, so does all art.

Civet and cumin. I'm not a fan of "dirty" fragrances. That's why I dislike Shalimar.

Magnolia and Civet

I suppose that the next big "skank" scent could be based upon the blooming bradford pear. It definitely smells like unwashed unmentionables, dirty socks, and unwashed private parts to me. Of course, it is widely used for landscaping as it is cheap, gaudy and fast. (hmm.)
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

i hate vetiver and the smell of the dry sprayer of YSL M7 (i dont know what's the name of this note)

I don't really dislike any notes.. I do dislike certain scents and accords though. If say lemon, orange blossom and cedar came together and produced a metallic cheap citrus accord I wouldn't be to pleased.. but I wouldn't rule out those notes just because a perfumer screwed up the concoction.
    Last edited by The_Cologneist; 28th March 2010 at 11:49 PM.

Calone/marine is just awful.

I also can't stand vanilla in heavy doses.

Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    Calone/marine is just awful.

I also can't stand vanilla in heavy doses.
    Most aquatics use calone, and thats what gives most aquatics that "synthetic and clean" smell. Smells cheap, and is cheap

1. I think it's grapefruit...whatever Bvlgari's Aqva Marine opens with, I don't like.

2. Orris root?...I dislike anything that smells like lipstick or makeup

If the jasmine note is too strong it smells like urine to me.

Gardenia is the worst!

I also have trouble with tuberose, hyacinth, freesia, lily of the valley, ylang ylang, osmanthus, cucumber, melon... but these can be palatable in some scents if they are well blended.

Cardamom would be the worst one after gardenia. I like most spice notes, but cardamom often ruins a scent for me.
    Last edited by tigrushka; 29th March 2010 at 01:46 PM. Reason: added notes
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Basenotes Plus

I have a hard time with patchouli and strong vanilla if either dominates the scent.

No notes per se are taboo for my nose. The ways that some of the so-called "modern" or post-classical and neo-classical notes are used can tend to bore me though (ISO E. Super, Aquatic, Chemistry/Fresh, Ozone, etc.). I like all these notes though when they are used in interesting ways.
    Last edited by mrclmind; 29th March 2010 at 07:46 AM.

Immortelle . . .
    Marine / Calone is a no-no.
    Pepper used injudiciously can also kill a scent for me.

Air freshners and cheap candy colognes do my head in evey time.

For me it's clove. And pine. Clove makes my stomach turn (probably from eating some clove-spiced dish and getting food poisoning from it)

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

I have some issues with clary sage and rosemary. But they seldom stick around long enough to really bother me so I think I'm quite alright
    But strong indoles definitely smells like crap to me.

Gardenia, pine, benzoin, tobacco, heavy roses, heavy musk

Quote Originally Posted by Spray View Post
    1. I think it's grapefruit...whatever Bvlgari's Aqva Marine opens with, I don't like.

2. Orris root?...I dislike anything that smells like lipstick or makeup
    Spray, not all orris root or iris smell like Dior Homme. When I first got into fragrance I hate iris too. But I've grown to LOVE it. It's definitely unique, but really Dior Homme is pretty unique as well, not many other fragrances smell like it.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Not a huge fan of star anise. Rive Gauche has bucketloads of it in the opening, which makes me kinda dislike it.

Quote Originally Posted by Smeghead View Post
    Not a huge fan of star anise
    x2!

Honey can be challenging for me. And I really dislike aldehydes of the type found in Chanel No. 5 and White Linen.

Might aswell add patchouli to the list for me. Stand alone its awful to my nose.

Quote Originally Posted by tigrushka View Post
    Gardenia is the worst!

I also have trouble with tuberose, hyacinth, freesia, lily of the valley, ylang ylang, osmanthus, cucumber, melon... but these can be palatable in some scents if they are well blended.

Cardamom would be the worst one after gardenia. I like most spice notes, but cardamom often ruins a scent for me.
    Wow, it's anti-me!

I love gardenia, and cardamon. In fact I think a fragrance with both would smell delicious, if the gardenia note was true ( too often gardenia is a word for generic white-floral smell, rather than the creamy, cheesy quality that makes gardenia gardenia ).

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    Wow, it's anti-me!

I love gardenia, and cardamon. In fact I think a fragrance with both would smell delicious, if the gardenia note was true ( too often gardenia is a word for generic white-floral smell, rather than the creamy, cheesy quality that makes gardenia gardenia ).
    Yum, cardamom! (The first time I tasted cardamom in a dish it was the seed pod, which exploded into perfumey loveliness in my mouth)... and white floral is also wonderful as long as it is not Bradford Pear! (:-)) Just wore Hermes Amazone for the first time today and it is a perfect white floral scent. (unisex I would say, at least with the vintage "brown box" version) Will try mixing G and C when I get serious about the perfumery!

Quote Originally Posted by actiasluna View Post
    Yum, cardamom!
    Ditto this! I noticed a while back that a lot of my favorites have this note.

Just wondering if/how female "encroachment" on the Male Fragrances discussions affects the progress of said discussion.
    Since I am quite often one who "encroaches".
    (actually it is to my mind an interesting question, to which the answers may be even MORE interesting!)

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    Wow, it's anti-me!

For me the description "creamy white Floral" ("screamy" would be more accurate) is a cue to run for my life...

A good example of cardamom that makes me queasy is CdG Jaisalmer. I love all the other Incense Series scents but that one. Also when I tested loads of DSH perfume oils I soon learned that the ones piercing my nostrils contained cardamom.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Anise, like in "Fuel for life". I HATE it!!!

Appparently I have issues with the letter "G" because I absolutely detest geranium and gardenia. I think it's Creed's 2000 Fleurs which has BOTH. Disgusting...

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Another note I don't particular favor on my skin: chocolate milk. Which is why I won't be wearing A*Men anytime soon...

Quote Originally Posted by actiasluna View Post
    Just wondering if/how female "encroachment" on the Male Fragrances discussions affects the progress of said discussion.
    Since I am quite often one who "encroaches".
    (actually it is to my mind an interesting question, to which the answers may be even MORE interesting!)
    What encroachment? On the contrary, I more than welcome female perspectives on this board. If I have my way, there won't even be separate Male Fragrance and Female Fragrance discussion boards; there will only be one Fragrance Discussion Board.

I had a hard time finding one. Here it is: coconut

had some problems with violet leaves in gucci pour homme II on first application.. made me literally wanna throw up.
    set it aside, waited a week and prepped my nose every other day, smelling the cap... now i wear it and its one of my fav scents... i guess my nose needed to adjust.

other than that mishap, nothing strikes me as gross yet.
    Forcing Memories into Everyones Brains One Fragrance at a Time.

Basenotes Institution

I've said it before and I'll say it again: saffron. Blech!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    What encroachment? On the contrary, I more than welcome female perspectives on this board. If I have my way, there won't even be separate Male Fragrance and Female Fragrance discussion boards; there will only be one Fragrance Discussion Board.
    I tend to agree as the to my mind imaginary/arbitrary line between "masculine" and "feminine" scents is sketchy, to say the least!

Quote Originally Posted by Delmar View Post
    I had a hard time finding one. Here it is: coconut
    You know... I don't like coconut in PROJECTING PERFUSENESS... but I do like it as an "undertone/note"... This morning a coworker was wearing something with lingering MASSIVE SILLAGE COCONUT!!!!!!!"... frankly it was just kind of like wearing a too-fragrant lei to the office... too obvious.