Code of Conduct

Default Philosykos returns to my nose

I know there are scents that move into and then out of darling status among us here, and a few years ago Diptyque's Philosykos was one of those. It had a strong heyday and appeared frequently in SotD threads and threads advising what newbies might want to check out for something good.

I know that meant many of you checked it out at that time, wore it, and many probably bought it.

I hadn't worn it for over two years until I pulled it out Friday. It was packed away with parts of my collection I wasn't wearing. Whoa, what a joy to wear it. It's amazing. I don't exactly know how to put my praise for it into more exact terms, but it's one of those scents that makes me extremely comfortable, and makes my shoulders relax, for example. I had meetings with people that day and I had no anticipation worries about anything, thanks to the scent. I could smell it all day because everything I have from the house of Diptyque is superior in projection and longevity, and best of all, it was such a wonderful smell that I wasn't worried about whether I was wearing too much. I wasn't worried about becoming "cologne guy" by smelling too strongly of something (first because it smells so good and second because it is so unlike anything "cologne guys" reek of), and I sort of wished strongly that I would notice people smelling me.

The stuff was magic for me, and thus, since it isn't a darling anymore, I wonder if I could urge you guys who have it from the darling period, or any other period, to give it a go one of the next few days. I know I am going to.

It's heavy to a wonderful fig, but it isn't creamy like other fig scents (L'Artisan Parfumeur's for example), or dirty like others (Molinard's Fleur du Figier, which is great on its own), or ringingly floral and wonderfully metalic and sweet (like Rochas Globe, and maybe Dior's Dune PH). Philosykos is very straight, doesn't develop, but rings so beautifully all day and night. It makes me melt.

I'm sure it's not something everyone is bound to like, and that my liking for it is only my liking, but, if I'm not clear already, I really dig the stuff.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Default Re: Philosykos returns to my nose

Right. It is fig but not figgy. Lots of green notes, and complexity with twists and turns to keep it interesting. Makes a compelling case for fig!
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

I'm right there with you - gorgeous, full, green figs.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

It is such a good rendition of fig leaves and stems--a bit sappy and green but without getting into leather chypre territory at all, and absolutely true to the slightly funky-fresh quality that makes fig immediately recognizable. Philosykos is one that I really look forward to pulling out in the spring. Along with L'Eau Trois this is my favorite of the Diptyque frags, and the one that makes absolute sense of the house green note. Thanks for bringing this back to mind, DustB.

Basenotes Institution

I need to smell this again. Marc Jacobs kind of burnt me out on fig, in my pre-BN days, but Philosykos makes a strong statement for me to reconsider this.

Anyone familiar with the shower gel?
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 29th March 2010 at 04:34 AM.

Philosykos is a special fragrance and as soon as summer arrives it will be back in my rotation.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Anyone familiar with the shower gel?
    Yep, it's great too. Good lather and scents skin wonderfully. It is a perfect compliment to the EDT.

Just a wonderful fig-centered fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I need to smell this again. Marc Jacobs kind of burnt me out on fig, in my pre-BN days, but Philosykos makes a strong statement for me to reconsider this.
    I love MJ fig, but it is a very linear fig scent. Perfect for when I think that's all I want, but Philosykos is what I turn to (when I've got it in - none of it at the mo) when I want a more complex fig. Wonderful stuff by anyone's standards.

While the strong shredded leaf topnotes don't quite agree with me, the majority of the development - soft, refreshingly sweet (a rare quality for me), figgy notes are hugely enjoyable, especially for summer nights.

I enjoy reflecting on the BN darling cycles. Hopefully, Philosykos gets some renewed attention this summer; I'll remember to speak up when the usual 345782354 "quality summer scent" threads start springing up.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

A wonderful spring/summer scent that I (quite literally) forget about each winter and then (inevitably) rediscover when the weather warms. I blind bought a large decant of this a couple years ago and at first it wasn't quit what I had expected (I somehow wasn't expecting it to be so green). But I love green scents and have entirely come around on Philosykos. I deeply appreciate Diptyque's perfumes, but my experience with them has been unfortunately unlike DustB's; most seem very short-lived on my skin (Philosykos and Tam Dao are both positive exceptions in this regard). And many of the best ones have been discontinued. If only Virgilio and L'Eau Trois had more longevity, I would have bought bottles of them when they were still in production!

Quote Originally Posted by great_badir View Post
    I love MJ fig, but it is a very linear fig scent. Perfect for when I think that's all I want, but Philosykos is what I turn to (when I've got it in - none of it at the mo) when I want a more complex fig. Wonderful stuff by anyone's standards.
    Yeah, the Mark Jacobs fig note could burn anyone out. It's just too sweet for my note, and married with some synthetic that just creates figgy overload. I don't know anyone who can finish a bottle of Mark Jacobs PH.

Philosykos is wonderful. Like Chris, i have not worn it in a while. I will make it my SOTD today though, and look forward to it.

-Slim
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

Damn Dust, you read my mind. I liked this last summer, from a sample. And have been craving it so I'm sampling it tonight. I think this will be a wardrobe addition in the near future.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Argh... and I thought I had all the samples I wanted for now. How does it compare to AdP Blu Mediterraneo Fico d'Amalfi?

Quote Originally Posted by shortino View Post
    Argh... and I thought I had all the samples I wanted for now. How does it compare to AdP Blu Mediterraneo Fico d'Amalfi?
    Interested to hearing about this...I'm going to out to sample and possibly buy Philosykos tomorrow, would love to get more opinions on other fig/coconut scents.

Quote Originally Posted by shortino View Post
    Honestly, I don't really find the AdP to be a fig-centric scent. It's got it in there, but there's so much else going on that I don't immediately think "fig" when I smell it.

Hey guys, I thought I posted somewhere about my sample smelling of Fico d'Amalfi, and I thought I'd done so to this thread. I probably meant to but forgot.

I only did a wrist sample of FdA, but I really liked it. It's not going to replace Philosykos for me, but I got the impression that the meld including fig and mint was really delightful and would be fun to wear. Smelled clean and very catching/fetching for me. I'd recommend it to anyone.

Like Jrd4t I don't get the impression that fig dominates FdA like fig dominates Philosykos and L'Artisan's two Premier Figieur (spelling?) versions. You get fig with FdA, but it never gets close to coconut, which I think is the fault with the L'Artisans. For me, I don't get coconut from Philosykos either, but that's me; some members have said they do. I didn't get it from FdA is my point.

Enjoy the smelling, Smeghead, and I hope one or several of the scents rewards you well.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Blog Entries

I love Premier Figuier for spring and summer use; it's supposed to have a coconut note but I don't really notice it. The sandalwood base is smooth and dry and makes me feel cool when the weather gets warm.

I've actually lost a little love for Philosykos in my testings over the past couple of weeks. It just has a real tendency to go uber sweet on my skin, and starts to make me a little queasy. Not to mention, it's darn strong stuff. On the other hand, I'm really enjoying my Fico di Amalfi sample, which I find tempers the creamy fig better with some tart fruit, which I can't for the life of me figure out, though I know it's there.
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 14th April 2010 at 11:11 PM.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Ah man, what a waste of a day! I saw this particular store had it available on their website, and I wanted to an actual store of theirs to sample it (as well as a few other fragrances). I spent £12 on a train trip there, taking 1 and a half hours each trip, then when I get there that particular branch didn't even carry it! I should've phoned up beforehand to double check, silly me.

I did however try Amalfi Fig, and I'm worried to say that I'm getting a little bored of this fig category or fragrances, despite being very intrigued by it initially. Both Marc Jacobs and Amalfi are incredibly similar to me - the fig note just utterly obliterates every other note, and they both have the same creamy vibe to it, though Marc feels a lot more synthetic and just powdery.

Such a beautiful fragrance.

Was at a shop and smelled it for the first time in my life. It also happened to be the first niche fragrance I have ever smelled in my life too.

What came to mind was....Fig Juice.

A blender, throw in fresh figs, fresh cedar twigs, some fresh moist tender leaves, add some magic and cool breeze. Blend. Pour into bottle and serve. Amazing.

Yes ,is very nice but it doesn't last more than 3 hours on me.

I have tried fig so many times in fragrances. It is just not something I want to smell like on my skin. Love it as candles and such though.

Sur la Plage

I have tried many fig fragrances, including Philosykos. But have not found any that I really like. Maybe fig just isn't for me......
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

This was (and still is) my first niche purchase and first bottle i've spent over $100 on (youch). There were so many others on my to buy list, but somehow I just couldn't wait for this one. What has surprised me in wearing it fully now a few times is that it's a little greener and sharper then I remember, I had recalled it to be more creamy plus a bit "mossy" or woody.
    Tom Ford Splits!!!! - Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood, Noir de Noir,
    Plum Japonais, Italian Cypress,
    Neroli Portofino, Costa Azzura
    HARD TO FIND -
    Lavender Palm, Arabian Wood, Champacca Absolute and AMBER ABSOLUTE, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Gosh reading everyone's posts just make me want to spritz Philosykos all over myself tomorrow with the samples i've just received!