Code of Conduct

Default Feminine ambergris

Ambergris is a rarely discussed topic here on the ladies forum, however the search button yielded endless threads discussing ambergris with most of the posts regarding Creeds My tastes in perfumes are run toward the feminine aspect of perfumery. In fact, 9 out of some 170 bottles in my collection are classified as masculine, and even those are equally unisex IMHO!

I did an experiment with ambergris not to long ago. I had genuine ambergris absolute and poured it onto oud chips (which I ground up to the size of tiny grains) and mixed them in a blender until the mixture was slightly moist. I then would pour a tiny amount of the powder and fumigate my clothes with the scent of ambergris and oud. It is too lovely to even describe!!

I love the smell of ambergris a lot but find that it isn't showcased that much as a predominant note or accord in feminine perfumes. The greatest perfumes I know which showcase the sweaty side of ambergris is probably The Party and vintage Bal a Versailles parfum. I used to wonder how people perceived The Party as animalic, but with my recent wearing, I was hit in the head with a sweaty accord reminiscent of ambergris. These two fragrances are heavy on the ambergris but don't amplify it as a main accord.

I'm looking for a scent that has ambergris as a main accord with other supporting notes that make it sultry and alluring...or whatever.

For the record, I've tried Hermes EdM and find it to be a realistic interpretation of ambergris but it doesn't highlight the main component of ambergris, which is its animalic qualities.

Default Re: Feminine ambergris

scent...I find No.5 parfum and Cristalle EDP to be very evocative of ambergris. I don't know if they actually contain it, but here is my observation. No.5 parfum is really animalic (jasmine, I assume) and slightly "bile" like, then later turning into a sweet floral amber. Cristalle is very much like salty sea water with ylang and other green florals.

Thnx Asha! I have a vintage-y No. 5 parfum and it is truly sensual in the drydown. I don't know it it's ambergris but it sure is gorgeous. And until recently I had a vintage Critsalle EDP from the eighties. I never really understood it, and I agree there is a salty (I perceive it as vinegary) aspect to it that I just didn't get...so i sold it.

Madini's ambergris is great too!

What of Balmain's Ambergris? I know this is classified as a feminine, but scent (IMHO) being really a sexless accessory, you might want to sample.

With spices, pepper, myrrh and woods, this can be considered a men's scent.

http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/secti...mbre_Gris.html
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Yes Balmain's is really intoxicating!

IMO, the Balmain does not smell at all of ambergris. To my nose, it seems more like a labdanum-based amber accord with artificial sandalwood and ambrox. I think ambergris is more present in classic feminine fragrances, either as an ingredient or an alternate accord that gives an ambergris impression.

Balmain Amber Gris is terrible on my skin, so I don't have much good to say about it, unfortunately. It does get some love here, though!
    Last edited by Asha; 29th March 2010 at 01:12 PM.

I want to say Oscar de la Renta (women) is heavy on the ambergris. Maybe someone can cofirm, but whenI was younger I remember learning what ambergris was because of this scent. lol

Thnx all! I will look into Madini and Oscar de la Renta. I should have stated that I did not find Ambre Gris very ambergris-y. It was a sweetish, ambery thing. I don't even have a solid memory of it despite me trying it over a dozen times.

I think I may have found what I'm looking for!

Micallef Shanaan!

The bottle is a greenish-blue, reminiscent of the color of seaweed, and that's exactly what you smell at first. A burst of slightly aldehydic salty, fishy ambergris is what you first smell. Those not familiar with the smell of true ambergris will probably get repelled by it, but it is truly sensual and strange. There is a fleshy, floral note that is similiar to CDG Guerilla 1 that is intertwined with the ambergris that makes it a very odd fragrance. Definitely NOT your average Micallef. One of the most original fragrances I have tried for a looong time, and I will continue to test it, but I'm already sold!
    Last edited by scent; 7th April 2010 at 10:01 PM.

I came to think of Ayala Moriel's Razala. It's heavy on Ambergris,but also saffron and orange blossom on my skin.

Hi there,

With the talk of the salty, fishy, animalic & raunchy side of ambergris being mentioned, you may want to try Secretions Magnifique. I have not smelled real ambergris, and I generally am not a fan of "amber," or what passes for it these days.....but there is within Secretions Magnifique a very oceanic, bile-esque accord that may remind you of the real amber that you describe. And SM itself does celebrate the secretions of the natural world, of which real ambergris is one. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by ineespenes View Post
    I came to think of Ayala Moriel's Razala. It's heavy on Ambergris,but also saffron and orange blossom on my skin.
    I have been curious about Razala for some time now. Now I have to sample it!

Quote Originally Posted by tourmaline View Post
    Hi there,

With the talk of the salty, fishy, animalic & raunchy side of ambergris being mentioned, you may want to try Secretions Magnifique. I have not smelled real ambergris, and I generally am not a fan of "amber," or what passes for it these days.....but there is within Secretions Magnifique a very oceanic, bile-esque accord that may remind you of the real amber that you describe. And SM itself does celebrate the secretions of the natural world, of which real ambergris is one. ;-)
    Honestly, if they had initially named it Ambergris I probably would have loved it. But since its name is Secretions Magnifique, I can't get the image (and smell!) of body secretions out of my head! I have to agree with you on the salty, bile aspect of SM but its amplified to infinite proportions. I have yet to survive five minutes of SM on my skin, before running to scrub (literally!) it off!