Code of Conduct

Default Chanel No. 5: which is more wearable for men: EdT or EP?

I'm thinking of adding Chanel No. 5 to my wardrobe (which is practically shared with my wife). Which version is more wearable for men: the EdT or Eau Premiere? Please note that the EdT would be the current reformulation. Luca Turin seems to consider the EdT is closer to the vintage. It's going to be a blind buy, BTW, as they're not readily available here for sampling.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Default Re: Chanel No. 5: which is more wearable for men: EdT or EP?

Well, I have some semi-vintage EdP from the 80s I believe,
    and it fits me quite good.
    Since I haven't tryed on the EdT, I can't say which is better.
    But then again; if there is an EdP avalible, I'll always chose
    that ... almost!

EdT is a much easier wear. The EdP is heavier, waxier, sweeter.

In my opinion, No. 5 Eau Premiere is the most wearable. It is unique and different from any of the other No. 5 versions. It is an EDP also.

Eau Premier, but I have no problem wearing the EdT.

Editing because I misread--I thought you were asking about EDT vs EDP!

Both EDT and EP are very wearable for men, but I'd give a slight edge to Eau Premier.
    Last edited by Asha; 29th March 2010 at 05:18 AM.

Wow, I also misread... I'll second that Eau Première is probably more wearable!

Sur la Plage

Eau Premiere
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Thanks for the input. How similar is the EP to the classic scent of No 5? Also, how's its sillage & longevity?

Eau Premiere is recognizably No. 5 but softer, with more lemon citrus and more wood. The peachy aldehydes are there, but toned way down, the jasmine-ylang-rose florals are there but in different proportions, the vetiver-sandal-vanilla drydown is there, but very subtle. Chanel wants you to think of it as a painting--the watercolor version of No. 5. I like 5 in all its forms (edc is actually the dirtiest, edt the cleanest, edp the loudest, and parfum the purest), and the edt is very nice, but I really like the EP, which is an edp, but wears more like a strong edt. It is clean and fresh and altogether lovely. It could easily be No. 5 Pour Homme with a bit more vetiver or something in the basenotes (the ethereal vanilla drydown is its worst aspect in my opinion, but the opening and heart are sensational).

I'd go with Eau Premiere and I did. I just got a big bottle anticipating summer. Good luck!
    I offer you perfume,
    More for its pleasure than for yours;
    You perfume perfume.

--Anonymous Ancient Greek Love Lyric

IMO neither one.

I am glad you asked this question because I was wondering this too. I think I might pick up Eau Premier now. Antaeusintheair makes it sound amazing.
    I'm not your toy.

I dunno, even Chandler Burr says he'll wear most any female perfume -- except this one, because it's so instantly recognizable. Why not just let the ladies have this one?

Thumbs up Re: Chanel No. 5: which is more wearable for men: EdT or EP?

If you like it, then wear it ! and IMHO i would go for Eau de Parfum
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

The thing is, it's usually so unexpected that people who instantly recognize No. 5 can't place it. Several people have said, wow what's that cologne or you smell fresh from the shower or more general compliments with both Eau Premiere and No. 5 parfum and no one has said, who's wearing that iconic feminine scent. Skin chemistry and gender and weather and personality and clothing and bearing and circumstance (not to mention marketing) all affect not necessarily how a fragrance smells, but certainly our perceptions of it.
    I offer you perfume,
    More for its pleasure than for yours;
    You perfume perfume.

--Anonymous Ancient Greek Love Lyric

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kinok View Post
    I think I might pick up Eau Premier now.
    You do that, honey, and stay the hell away from No. 19!

Quote Originally Posted by davedude11 View Post
    I dunno, even Chandler Burr says he'll wear most any female perfume -- except this one, because it's so instantly recognizable. Why not just let the ladies have this one?
    I completely understand such opinion. Actually, the main reason for me is due to the special position that Chanel No. 5 has attained in the world of Western perfumery, I really want a version of it in my wardrobe. Also, as I mentioned in the OP that I practically share the wardrobe with my wife. I personally may not be wearing it regularly. I also love and own Shalimar, but I wear it mostly at home.

BTW, most people here don't wear fragrance, so I hope No. 5 would not be that recognizable.

Psh! If I found a man Ballsy enough to spray on No. 5 and not give a shit, I'd hit that. Not that he'd necessarily want me to, but you know, just sayin'.
    I'm not your toy.

The sillage and longevity of Eau Premiere on me are excellent. The fact that it is an EDP has a lot to do with that. Last summer I was wearing some while on a date with my boyfriend. He said "You smell great! What are you wearing? It is so erotic!" As you can imagine, I was very pleased to hear that.

Quote Originally Posted by davedude11 View Post
    Well... The ladies have this one, but that doesn't mean they can't share, does it?

No 5 smells wonderful and has become legendary, an icon, a symbol of luxury and one of the golden standards of modern perfumery. It's no wonder that people are drawn to it. And when we look past the imagery, it stills smells damn good.

I would recommend Eau Premiere as being more versatile. I have the parfum extrait and only wear it at home. But, I agree with Antaeus that No. 5 is so unexpected on a guy that it somehow just works. That said, No. 5 is so abstract and far beyond anything in reality that it qualifies as a entity unto itself.

Eau Premiere. it's wonderfully fresh and floral, yet with enough punch from the aldehydes. EdT is a bit more on the heavy side.

Sur la Plage

I also like Chanel No 5 Parfum and EDP.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 13th June 2010 at 11:06 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Blog Entries

I am a risk taker for "pour femme" fagrances but, Chanel #5 is out of the question for me. I agree that #5 by virtue of it's gender recognition fame is a hard to pull off. I have not tested au Premier so, perhaps that would work.
    Last edited by N_Tesla; 14th June 2010 at 12:37 AM.

Another vote for Eau Premiere, but I think EdT would be very wearable for a man
    Evenstar

Having tried Amouage Gold for Men and unavailable to get samples and due to its hefty price, I decided to give Chanel N° 5 EDT a try and, well, I found it very femenine. I have to admit Antaeus is right when he says that:

Quote Originally Posted by Antaeusintheair View Post
    ...Skin chemistry and gender and weather and personality and clothing and bearing and circumstance (not to mention marketing) all affect not necessarily how a fragrance smells, but certainly our perceptions of it.
    ... I must concede that in my case the "fragrance gender limit" lies in Shalimar layered with patchouly.

So after the very enthiusiastic reviews of Eau Premier I decided to try it, and yes, it is manlier than the original. I did not get it due to the fact I decided to skip women's fragrances in my wardrobe for I am a hoarder.
    Last edited by Pollux; 14th June 2010 at 03:18 AM.

Neither, but edt is best.

Eau Premiere is quality, but unnecessary and somewhat tedious with the woody-amber (pre-composed base) getting stronger as it goes. It's extremely feminine as well.

Try some Rive Gauche for women. Or try some Arpege, and forget the reviews.
    Last edited by pluran; 14th June 2010 at 06:54 AM.