Code of Conduct

Default embarrassing situations with fragrances

anyone ever had one of these?

today, while i was cutting my hair with heritage on, the hairdresser asked me if i had some kind of medicine applied on me. I obviously knew it was Heritage, mixed with the scent of the shampoo/hair gel/whatever the salon smells like so i had to cover and said "probably some sore muscle cream from a colleague earlier since i bumped into him"

his amazing reply: "no, i think it smells more like those anti hair loss medicine...like rogaine"

for a 24 year old guy to get that comment, it was somewhat mortifying to get implied that i had to use those stuffs. So i had to cover again

"oh hahahaha probably quite a lot rubbed off me"

"oh well, guess you could see it as perfume"

and thats a really embarassing and ackward situation caused by heritage getting triggered by probably the splashes of water when they washed my hair......what about yours?

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Default Re: embarrassing situations with fragrances

I worked in a kindergarden once.
    One day I was drawing with a group of girls,
    when one of them said; 'It smells like my grandma
    here'
    ... I knew I was to blame, I was in Ysatis..!

If that happens, you should just confidently say it might be your fragrance. Who knows - it could have been something else entirely he was smelling! I find that a lot of times people actually like what they smell, but don't know how to explain what they're smelling... and if they don't like it and make inappropriate comments (like you smell like hair loss medicine? WHAT? ass.), they're just trying to be rude.
    Last edited by jrd4t; 29th March 2010 at 01:49 PM.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

I sampled Jaipur Homme EDP right before I went to an informal family reunion. On the way there I had a terrible allergic reaction, a bad case of red, watery eyes, and some sniffles, too. I could read it on the faces of several relatives there: "Oh, he has to do bong hits before he comes to see us." Yikes, embarrassing.

Once, I kind of over-applied Cerutti 1881 Amber and a lady told me I smell like sweat and rotten flesh

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by joey86 View Post
    his amazing reply: "no, i think it smells more like those anti hair loss medicine...like rogaine"
    He's actually finding an opening to sell you more hair products to earn more commission from...

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    He's actually finding an opening to sell you more hair products to earn more commission from...
    before that, he asked my age, my birthmonth, and also why am i not looking him in the eye when talking "I'm not gonna eat you!" he says

still, it was embarassing.

I have posted mine before but here they are again.

When I was young in one of my first jobs I had been out partying all night and had to get up early to go to work. Now I had been on report for been late and I knew if I was late again I would be in big trouble in the bosses office. So I got up in a rush and instead of freshening up I decided to grab a bottle of my dads old spice to cover any BO and rush in to work.

Well I make it to my desk and after a hour people around me start complaining of a weird smell. I hear one person say it smells like BO and old spice and I thought oh damn thats me. And I sniff myself and I stink and its a hot Summers day and there is a fan near me helping with the diffusion. So I was keeping my head low when people were trying to figure where that smell was coming from. At lunch I went home and changed and NEVER made that mistake again. Lol

----------------------------------

When I was sixteen in the Eighties I had a date with this French girl and was going out to a nice restaurant. Now my dad was always the one in those days who had all the aftershaves and colognes. And he had for Christmas Brut aftershave and cologne and I had sneaked a few splashes of his aftershave every so often.

But this time I asked him if I could use his Brut but instead of splashing my face with the aftershave I by mistake used his cologne which was stronger. And I splashed it all over my face and neck and I was not been conservative.

Well I met the French girl at the restaurant and she went to kiss me on the cheek then was repelled and started coughing. That was weird I thought and got a table and sat down and ordered. At this point she goes to the toilet and this man sitting at a table not far from me comes over and with a big grin on his face and asks if I have bathed in the stuff. I stared at him wondering what he was going on about and he says the Brut I think you have overdone it mate and winks at me.

I sniffed myself, god I reek of Brut and started panicking and wondering why I did not pick up on it before. So when my date came back I went to the toilet and started to wash my face with water to rid myself of the Brut. But the faucet was not right and the water came out like Niagra Falls and I got water all over my groin area. It looked like I had pissed myself and I was panicking as I cannot go out to my date looking like I have pissed myself.

So I took my jumper off and wrapped it around my waist so no one could see and went out and just said I felt hot and had to take my jumper off when she asked. Suffice to say because the night started out as a debacle I never did see that girl again. Damn my dads Brut.....Lol

----------------------------------------

When I was fifteen I was on work experience to a Department store in the city centre and was working in the kitchen department. At lunch times my friend and I would go and check out the girls in the perfumery department as they were beautiful and sexy as hell.

So we go up to the perfumery counter all shy seeing if we can engage one of them in conversation. In those days I knew nothing of perfumes/colognes. So this stunning blonde turns around from speaking with the other sexy assistants and looks at me and asks if she could assist me. I went totally red and started stammering and panicking not knowing what to say and just blurted out that I wanted to try out that bottle in front of me.

She laughs and says are you sure and because I was feeling like a deer caught in the headlights I said yes. She sprays it on and its womens perfume and she laughs and I just crawled away with my tail between my legs straight to the elevator. Then to top it off when the elevator came my mate made a massive wolf whistle at the girls at the perfumery counter and dives into the lift and moves to the right out of sight. So when they and the shoppers all turn around to the source of the wolf whistle they just see yours truly just standing there. Lol

The first day I gave my Bulgari Jasmin Noir a full wearing to school. To my nose this scent is pretty unisex, but I also stretch it a little when it comes to unisex. This fragrance is basically death by Jasmin and Gardenia. Anyway, I (more than likely) over-applied slightly and no one said anything to me all day long. At my last class at 4 P.M. the (extremely) annoying girl I sit next to says, "Wow, someone is wearing a lot of perfume....and it smells like grandma..."

I am pretty sure I turned the brightest red in the world. I got up, went to the bathroom and tried to scrub as much as I could off. I was not ashamed of wearing it, I just didn't want to bother anyone's nose. I still wear it of course, just not in such high doses. Me and Jasmin Noir have become good friends lol.
    I'm not your toy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinok View Post
    At my last class at 4 P.M. the (extremely) annoying girl I sit next to says, "Wow, someone is wearing a lot of perfume....and it smells like grandma..."
    See - another case of some jerk just being rude for the sake of it. People suck :P
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

I was at Neiman Marcus the other week, and the SA wanted me to try Windsor. The sprayer was broken so he was trying to put a little dab on me. He doused me with what must have been several MLs. I reeked of Windsor... heads were turning everywhere I went that day. It was pretty funny, but it kind of put me off Windsor for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by joey86 View Post
    before that, he asked my age, my birthmonth, and also why am i not looking him in the eye when talking "I'm not gonna eat you!" he says

still, it was embarassing.
    He sounds like a jerk. Make sure to wear extra Heritage on you if you ever go to him for a haircut again.
    Last edited by mrclmind; 29th March 2010 at 04:21 PM.

I wore Montale's Lime Aoud during a haircut. During the cut, my stylist called over her manager, to tell her that she smelled a "permanent" being used for too long. She was convinced that someone's head was being chemically burned. After listening to them discuss it for a few minutes. I asked them to sniff my t-shirt. They apologized. I thought it was pretty funny. I wouldn't wear Lime Aoud for a first date, I guess is what I learned from this. I like it personally, but I also realize others are not used to it.

"you smell like shit"
    - over applied A*MEN.
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

Quote Originally Posted by trapper View Post
    "you smell like shit"
    - over applied A*MEN.
    Absolutely! I actually felt a faecal note when I once accidentally over-applied it (one full spray). And a colleague asked me if I just came from the gym without taking a shower.

I liked it the first time, but now I think this stuff is horrendous. I'll never put it on my skin again; let alone buying it. OK, I don't want to convert this thread to an "A*men despising group".

Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    He sounds like a jerk. Make sure to wear extra Heritage on you if you ever go to him for a haircut again.
    I think he was just trying to make conversation and from where i come from not much ppl are into perfumes. Most just want to smell nice aka hugo boss or ck. Probably his 1st time smelling an oriental or a guerlain

But then again he also made me wait for 1 hour before serving me so yeah no more haircuts there!

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    See - another case of some jerk just being rude for the sake of it. People suck :P
    Yup. But I suppose a good response (if any) would have been "Wow, you must have an amazing grandma!" or something to that effect but much more whatever the current vernacular for "fashionable".

(Reminds me: A friend of mine has a really effective dampener that he has taught his children in the event they are on the receiving end of rude comments. It's just acknowledging in a noncomittal way and not reacting... His kid uses that anytime his (12 year old) classmates comment on how his dad kisses him goodbye in the morning when he gets on the bus. He just acknowledges the fact and moves on. Which I think is really amazing given the age... and it tends to de-fuse the intended insult. Would that we adults and near-adults could be so grounded!)
    Last edited by actiasluna; 30th March 2010 at 03:32 AM.
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

Quote Originally Posted by actiasluna View Post
    Yup. But I suppose a good response (if any) would have been "Wow, you must have an amazing grandma!" or something to that effect...
    Good idea, but to such people you could also reply "Yes, and I am your granddaddy."
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    Good idea, but to such people you could also reply "Yes, and I am your granddaddy."
    That'd work!.... But then, "where do you think I got the perfume?" might also.
    Last edited by actiasluna; 30th March 2010 at 04:23 AM.
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    I feel your pain

lol

As a teenager, I overapplied Adidas - Moves. My then girlfriend gave me a hug, and then quickly backed off, turned away, and started giggling/laughing.

She appreciated that I was trying something more than just deodorant, but I overdid it (about 3-4 sprays)

Quote Originally Posted by JMang View Post
    As a teenager, I overapplied Adidas - Moves. My then girlfriend gave me a hug, and then quickly backed off, turned away, and started giggling/laughing.

She appreciated that I was trying something more than just deodorant, but I overdid it (about 3-4 sprays)
    Good one. It reminds me of the member who once posted that his girlfriend didn't like his scent and said "No lovin' for you." Some guys just get the good natured ladies I guess.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Very last time I wore A*Men, everyone in office approached me holding their nose when asking me a question. That was the end of A*Men and me.

My first frag ever was Hai Karate. I bought and wore it eagerly anticipating fending off the women who would "attack." In my first class of the day, two nearby women kept commenting on the horrible stench in the room. They concluded it was boot waterproofing treatment that one of the girl's fathers had used on her new boots. That could have ended my fume head future, but here I sit today.

Hai Karate was putrid. The Axe generation has no idea how good they have it.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 30th March 2010 at 06:18 AM.

+2 I am not too familiar with Heritage, but I doubt it smells very "medicinal." Wear more next time.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 30th March 2010 at 06:24 AM.

well I know this is no surprise but I actually wore some Ajmal Indian Musk Ghazalle diluted in some Qourom (yea lol) and it pretty much smelled like I didn't wash my behind after using the bathroom, that was my roommates comment at least. I agree
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Strange nobody mentioned Kouros here.
    The only embarrassing situation I remenber:
    After I took a shower in the morning, I applied this fragrance. Only 2 sprays.
    I got to school then. I took off my jacked, and got near a girl (fortuneatly not my gf). She immediatly said "You smell like sweat/perspiration etc". I could not belive. How can you smell like perspiration after you take a shower, use a deodorant, and it is cold outside, and not do anything ?
    I don't have embarrassing situations. This was the only one I had
    -Jimi Hendrix
    Last edited by Jimi Hendrix; 30th March 2010 at 08:28 AM.