Code of Conduct

Default What do you do after the fragrance arrives?

I always see these threads, and I always think the the author has lost all self-awareness. Fallen deep into a world of perfume where the most mundane queries (from an outsiders perspective) are propositioned to a crowd of equally entrance people who gladly answer without a hint of sarcasm or cynicism.

So, this is my first irresponsible dip into the realm of the addict. Asking a question I need not an answer for nor do I need it to be asked but for this obsession, so here it is..for whatever reason it has been put forth and will I expect, be replied to!

How do you go about attacking a new scent. Getting into it, questioning yourself on why, oh why have you bought another. Do I really want this, should I give this as well to my poor brother? Who indecently inherited 5 of my last 8 buys. Why do I own this?

My first act is so spray a single spray on my wrist and let it linger and expose itself.

Perhaps a few more sprays after the dry down has come into full effect. Then spray it on clothes only to note the difference between the scent on skin and material.

Then today I got home (the second day of owning this new scent) and doused myself in it, closing my eyes and following the progression for a good 20 minutes. This is a first for me and while I was meditating in the olfactory sense, I wondered what other rituals do other people partake in to get to know their scents?

So there it is...The blind asking the blind. What do you do?
    'Anyone who lives within their means, suffers from a fatal lack of imagination" Oscar Wilde

Default Re: What do you do after the fragrance arrives?

I spray it on myself after unwrapping it and start sniffing, usually on my wrist so that i can sniff it whenever i want.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

After getting a new scent, I find I'll wear it almost exclusively for days on end. Eventually it joins the usual rotation along with my other fragrances.

Usually by the time I receive the package it's already around midday and i've already put my SOTD on, so I may put some on the back of my hand to test it, or find some paper lying around and just spray it on that. Afterwards I usually do what 30 Roses does and try and find any excuse to wear it for several days, even if it's completely the wrong type of weather for it. Eventually though I get used to it and I go back to rotating my fragrances like normal.

I will normally, if ordered from an e tailer, put it un-opened in my "stash drawer" and wait until I'm ready to give it an initial wearing. Could take weeks or a couple days! If purchased in brick and mortar it may get worn the next day. Usually my e tailer purchases are blind buys.

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    After getting a new scent, I find I'll wear it almost exclusively for days on end. Eventually it joins the usual rotation along with my other fragrances.
    Same here! The only disappointing thing is when I wear it a lot for a week... Then stop wearing it altogether, which has happened with a few.

Quote Originally Posted by fraddicted View Post
    I will normally, if ordered from an e tailer, put it un-opened in my "stash drawer" and wait until I'm ready to give it an initial wearing. Could take weeks or a couple days! If purchased in brick and mortar it may get worn the next day. Usually my e tailer purchases are blind buys.
    Wow, your patience is quite impressive. I'm usually more excited about blind buys so I would quickly open the package and put a spritz on.

I rip it open as soon as it's in sight (if I receive it in the mail) or as soon as I get in my car (if bought from a brick and mortar), and put it on right then and there. I have no patience, and find it slightly masochistic to wait until "the right moment" to apply a new scent.

If I get a shipment of a bunch of samples, and have real trouble choosing which one(s) to start with, as I want to experience them ALL as soon as possible.

I usually put 2 or 3 sprays under my shirt for the first wearing, just to see how the aura feels, then progress to more targeted wearings on the wrists for analysis.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

In general, receiving new fragrances is an excitment task. My packages takes from 1-2 months in general to arrive here, since my orders came almost always from international websites and our custom office is very slow handling the packages through the customs process. So, I get a blast of excitment when a fragrance arrives. I open the package, spray it on my arm and appreciate for the first time. Then, in general i use it on the next day. I do this when i receive only one fragrance, because there are times that all my packages arrive at the same time, so I left with 5-6 fragrances, for example, to be tested and used. Some of my fragrances i seldom use, but they were bought to be used on some ocasions avoiding me to be frustrated when I want an specific fragrance and cannot find it anymore because it was discontinued
    If I regret of buying a fragrance, i end selling it, swaping or, in general, giving as a gift to one of my family members. My mom has got my alien, my opium for women edt, my lalique le parfum and my madness natural black, and my sister has my parfum des merveilles. My brother in law is the lucky one, he has been gifted with a lot of my fragrances. I have gave him my very irresistible, my versace couture jeans, my santos eau de sport, my rive gauche, a lot of O boticario fragrances and some fragrances that i don`t even remember anymore...

Unpack it, often with frantic, nearly trembling fingers, and not just test it right away in most of the cases, but if someone close (friends, family, significant other) happens to drop by, i want to share my joy with them and ask them politely, but convincingly if they want to try a bit of my newly purchased frag- my impatience is often so great, that I am curious how the frag projects not just on me, but on everyone
    Last edited by Ken_Russell; 29th March 2010 at 04:19 PM.

When I receive a new bottle I just creep around looking at it for a bit. Then I just think "I bought it to smell it" and cover myself in it! There's nothing more exciting than waiting for a new scent in the post. I buy a lot from the USA and it takes about a week for stuff to arrive, almost unbearable!

I'm also really terrible for sampling, I buy about 6 samples at a time. When they come I sample all 6 at the same time, on different parts of my arms and wrists. Stupid really, because it ruins each individual scent , can't help it though!

I usually force myself to wait until the evening to open the package. That way, I can have my after-dinner coffee and let the tensions of the workday subside. Most often, I check to see that everything is in the package that should be, and I open and test each bottle to see that the sprayer (if it's not a splash) works properly. Testing location is the back of my forearm, since my wrists usually are sporting the remnants of the SOTD. With this quick test, I can tell if the first wearing should be in public or in private.

My newest bottles go in a special drawer for new arrivals. They get integrated into the general population gradually - I have the feeling that the older bottles subject them to some kind of hazing ritual. I usually make the first full wear of a fragrance on a Saturday or Sunday when I don't have to be around clients, family, or any personal appointments. That way I can judge how strong, how unconventional, etc. - and I can wait to go out of the house if need be. There are fragrances that I road-tested immediately on public transit and errands (Cologne du 68 for example). Then there were others (Futur by Piguet) that were such an exercise in interpretation that I stayed in the house until the drydown.

Just my individual methods.
    Last edited by Jardanel; 30th March 2010 at 03:57 PM.

I immediately unbox it as if it were M giving me a new mission lol, i spray on my hand or wrist and let myself smell it for a while, let it dry down and smell it again, and continue to do so throughout the day. After that if i really like it i will wear it the next day or put it on rotation and use it when i feel like it. if i still love it after a while great if it's OK or average to me i will swap it or use it later.

Quote Originally Posted by joey86 View Post
    I spray it on myself after unwrapping it and start sniffing, usually on my wrist so that i can sniff it whenever i want.
    + 100

I am extremely paranoid about any kind of deformities with the bottle so when my fragrance arrives the first thing I do is take a bright light and use it to make sure there are no leaks, cracks and etc. Then I spray it a few times in the air to make sure the atomizer works and then I'll spray 2 shots to my forearm.
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

I spray it on myself to see what it smells like, confirm that it was made in France, and add it to the others in the vault. Otherwise, it is given away immediately to anyone who will take it off my hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Unpack it, often with frantic, nearly trembling fingers, and not just test it right away in most of the cases, but if someone close (friends, family, significant other) happens to drop by, i want to share my joy with them and ask them politely, but convincingly if they want to try a bit of my newly purchased frag- my impatience is often so great, that I am curious how the frag projects not just on me, but on everyone
    Ken, this is a lot like how I enjoy my new scents! The excited fingers and the adrenaline rush... LOL!
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

The time I don't like is when the post arrives after I've already showered and shaved and applied my SotD. That particularly sucks because I'd rather be able to wear my newbie for the whole day.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

The moment the package arrives I hide the receipt from my wife.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by fraddicted View Post
    Me too

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    This

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
    The moment the package arrives I hide the receipt from my wife.
    Oh, boy that's really funny.

I am definately in the school of "immediately rip the box open and do a quick wrist spray and sniff". Then, I enter the purchase info and on an Excel spreadsheet of my collection and find a home for the bottle, and update my wardrobe on BN.
    Last edited by knit at nite; 31st March 2010 at 03:30 AM.

Admire packaging for a few moments, then spray a few shots on myself enjoy the rush, and then more shots

I instantly unpack it, look at the bottle, spray on my wrist and start sniffing. This is when most people over spray fragrances.
    That's all I do, unpack, sniff and enjoy the fact that I have another bottle in my collection

-Jimi Hendrix

If you were to believe some people , you would

Day 1) Sit and stare and the package for several hours pondering the historic journey , the artistry and craftsmanship of the box

Day 2) Post on several forums whether to open said box or remain pondering in awe of the artistry and craftsmanship of the box

Day 3) Open the cellophane wrapper of the box , hands shaking in anticipation of touching said cardboard box

Day 4) Recovery day , its been a long and emotional journey thus far

Day 5) Blog your feelings thus far

Day 6) Finally open box , again hands trembling in anticipation , remove bottle from box

Day 7) Its been a long and exhausting week , spray fragrance ... decide it was a bad idea to buy blind and refer back to Basenotes directory

Quote Originally Posted by Pour_Monsieur View Post
    If you were to believe some people , you would

Day 1) Sit and stare and the package for several hours pondering the historic journey , the artistry and craftsmanship of the box

Day 2) Post on several forums whether to open said box or remain pondering in awe of the artistry and craftsmanship of the box

Day 3) Open the cellophane wrapper of the box , hands shaking in anticipation of touching said cardboard box

Day 4) Recovery day , its been a long and emotional journey thus far

Day 5) Blog your feelings thus far

Day 6) Finally open box , again hands trembling in anticipation , remove bottle from box

Day 7) Its been a long and exhausting week , spray fragrance ... decide it was a bad idea to buy blind and refer back to Basenotes directory
    LOL ! I stared at the Kouros box and bottle for 1 hour before spraying.

It's important to let your new fragrance acclimate to the rest of your wardrobe--this is IMPORTANT to prevent your new scent from dying of shock. The best way to do this is to put your new fragrance into a clear plastic bag. Make sure the bag is filled with the same department store air from where you bought it (or if you bought it from an etailer, throw some of the packing peanuts into the bag), then seal the bag up. Now, take this little baggie and dip it slowly into your wardrobe and rake it gently across the tops of the bottles that are already in there. Be careful not to knock over your towering bottle of DKNY Men as this will start an unfortunate domino-like chain reaction. Then carefully let the baggie come to rest at the point in your drobe where you'd like to eventually place it. Leave it for fifteen minutes, so that the proper acclimation can take place. After this time is up, you may open the baggie and coax the bottle out into your drobe-- you may need to give it a little nudge.

So that's it. Easy instructions for acclimating a new scent to your drobe. Tune in next week for tips on maintenance--we're going to tackle basic cleaning of your drobe--namely how to prevent the unsightly overgrowth of oakmoss that collects on the objects in the bottom of your drobe...

Open it and try a spray or two. This is done mostly at night, then would give it a full wear on the next day.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto