Code of Conduct

Default Fragrances to try for a beginner

Hi! I'm enjoying reading all the reviews from all the contributors here and it has really got me interested to start a fragrance collection. However, I think I really need to hone my nose somewhat, because I really don't know my orientals from my gourmands. Currently, I know that I like fresh and citrusy scents as well as slightly warmer orientals, but I would like to try other types of fragrances so that I can see if they would suit me. Therefore, I hope that someone could recommend some 'iconic' fragrances from other categories like leather, woods, green, or whatever to try.

Currently, these are what I have:

1. L'eau Bleue D'Issey eau Fraiche (Issey Miyake)
    2. Artisan (John Varvatos)
    3. Monsieur Balmain (Pierre Balmain)
    4. L'Instant pour Homme extreme (Guerlain)
    5. Jaipur pour Homme EDP (Boucheron)
    6. Italian Cypress (Tom Ford)

From this small collection, my favorites are Jaipur and L'instant. I realized that longevity and projection are important to me, which is why as much as I love the smell of Artisan, the longevity and projection just doesn't cut it. In addition, I like scents that smell somewhat complex and don't smell too straight forward. Comparing Artisan to Monsieur Balmain, the former contains the central core of orange, but at the same time, it's not an orange scent that you can normally find around us, whereas the latter is a very pure lemony scent, which while invigorating, is a little too straight forward for me. Also, I am partial to somewhat sweeter fragrances, which is why I prefer L'iinstant over Italian Cypress. I have kind of a sweet tooth, so I'll probably be trying out other vanilla based scents, like Tobacco Vanille or Un Bois Vanille.

Ok, sorry for the diatribe. So what other fragrances would you advise me to try to get more familiar with the other types of scents? Thanks!

Default Re: Fragrances to try for a beginner

... try dior homme!
    Last edited by ddh213; 29th March 2010 at 07:16 PM.

Try the following,

H.M. by Hanae Mori for Men (EDT,EDP)

Amougae Gold for Men EdP

Aoud Lime by Montale

Herrera For Men

Kenzo Pour Homme

Egoiste

Obsession for Men

Insense Ultramarine

Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin

M7 Fresh
    Currently listening to: Counting Crows - Mr. Jones, The Last Waltz - Old Boy, The Prodigy - Firestarter, Gorillaz - Clint Eastwood, R.E.M - Losing My Religion, "He's On the Beach" - Kirsty MacColl, In-Grid - Tu Es Foutu

I think Ambre Russe and Cuir Ottoman are great, high quality scents in their class (amber, leather). Easy for any beginner, but very sophisticated. Try those out.

Dependent

Hi Sup(p)erman!

Yes, Un Bois Vanille will most certainly meet your sweet-tooth requirements - caramelized vanilla.

If you like a sweet and not-so-heavy leather, Elsha 1776 Russian Leather is very affordable and satisfying.

Do you like the smell of tea? Bvlgari Pour Homme is a thin,light and fresh composition of tea and pepper.
    L'Artisan Parfumeur Tea For Two is warmer, thicker and smells like a more gourmand-ish tea - vanilla, honey, ginger, smoke and tea. Yummy!

PS. It is completely normal to mix orientals with gourmands! Well, if something smells like something *you* would eat or find to be edible, then it is a gourmand to *you*.

Oh! and welcome to BN!
    Last edited by MFJ; 30th March 2010 at 09:08 AM.

I would like to recommend floral scents to you. Wear the fragrance of flowers to give the feel of a sweet delicate flower

Cool! Thanks for the recommendations! Yeah, definitely I don't think I've tried amber, leather or even floral scents. I'm a tea addict, so definitely, I'll be trying some of those; the name, Tea for Two, is pretty cool too. However, is there a floral scent that is suitable for a guy? I'll probably get a bunch of samples of these scents from the perfume court to try.

Ok, it may not be a "beginner's" scent, but if you are interested in a masculine floral, I would really urge you to get a sample of No. 88 by Czech & Speake. It is a gorgeous, round rose made a little more masculine with a base of sandalwood & vetiver. It is considered unisex, I'm a woman and I LOVE it. I am hoarding my decant of it. It's really gorgeous, exceptionally well-made, long lasting and very different considering rose is not a typical facet of most men's frags.

I am also a huge fan of Chanel Antaeus which has a floral/herbaceous opening but it is a gorgeous woody frag at heart. Seriously, Antaeus may be one of the most gorgeous juices ever...just look at the reviews for it here! Thanks to M. Davis for putting me on to this
    Beauty is but the sensible image of the Infinite.
    Like truth and justice it lives within us; like virtue and the moral law it is a companion of the soul.
    -George Bancroft {1800-1891 American Historian}

=

current favorites:
    Balmain Jolie Madame, Serge Lutens Muscs Kublai Khan
    =

Some very unique and easy available designer fragrances:

Gucci - Gucci Pour Homme 2 (black tea)
    Dior - Dior Homme (iris)
    Thiery Mugler - A*Men (chocolate) - this is sillage monster
    Bvlgari - Aqva (seaweed)
    Baldessarini - Baldessarini (tobacco)
    Dior - Fahrenheit (petrol)
    Dunhill - Dunhill (brown) (no idea how to describe it )

Anything my Amouage, so long as it costs you more than you can afford. Seriously, just keep sampling. Either buy samples or visit the local stores with testers. It sounds like you are not ready to buy more full bottles, and you've got some diversity already. I could recommend some "super cheapos," but few seem to listen, and instead pay ten times more for something that may not even be as good !

Thanks again for the recommendations, especially when you list the main note. Yeah, I think part of the fun of collecting fragrances is to be able to try new scents and to discover some surprises. So for now, I'm just going to get samples or to try them out at Sephora to see if I like them.

I think Sephora probably doesn't carry too many niche fragrances, so here are some of the samples I'm ordering from the perfume court:
    1. L'Artisan Tea for Two
    2. Parfumerie Generale Aomassai
    3. Parfum d'Empire Ambre Russe
    4. Serge Lutens Un Bois Vanille
    5. Parfum d'Empire Cuir Ottoman
    6. L'Artisan Havana Vanille
    7. Czech & Speake No. 88
    8. Montale Black Aoud

I can't seem to find the Elsha scent though... can I write them for a sample?

Thanks again for your help!

+3 for Dior Homme...

Dependent

I think you could try to ask them (TPC) if they might have it.

Just in case, you decide to end up with a full bottle purchase, it can be found here: http://www.elsha.com/ 38$/8oz

Sorry, duplicate post...
    Last edited by supperman; 13th April 2010 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Realized that I'd posted duplicates

Hey guys, here are the fragrances I'd sampled:

Oriental: Dior Homme Intense, Le Male Summer Ed.
    Woody: Encre Noire
    Fresh: Bvlgari Aqva pour Homme, Millesime Imperial
    Leather: The Dreamer
    Aromatic: Comme des Garcon 2, Kouros Tattoo Ed., Bvlgari pour Homme,
    Incense: Bvlgari pour Homme Soir

I've tried to put the fragrances into categories based on what I can detect, but I'm not sure if they are correct. I still haven't received my niche samples from the Perfume Court, so most of the fragrances I've tried are designer ones.

All the fragrances are pretty good I would say, but I think my favorite fragrance from this bunch is Lalique's Encre Noire. It's really unique, and the mix of woody and incense(?) is really masculine. My only concern is that it's so different that others might find it strange. Kouros Tattoo is also great. Yeah, I wasn't so sure at first because the animalistic edge (civet?) was a bit of a shock, but it gets toned down very quickly, and becomes a sort of a dirty floral that makes it different and masculine.

As I'd mentioned, I think all these fragrances are pretty good, but the ones I liked the least are Le Male Summer Ed. and Aqva. The vanilla in Le Male is really sweet, but somehow I feel it sort of boring; a little too simple. Aqva smells great, but I feel that it is a little too 'conventional'. I decided to go for Millesime Imperial instead as my fresh fragrance of choice.

Anyway, I decided to buy full bottles of Encre Noire, Millesime Imperial, Kouros Tattoo Ed., Bvlgari Pour Homme Soir, Comme Des Garcon 2 and Dior Homme Intense. From this haul, I realized that I like somewhat darker fragrances, which is why I prefer Bvlgari pH Soir over the original. I didn't like the Dreamer so much as a leather fragrance, but I'll wait for the niche samples to see if I like the leather note.

Currently, between Jaipur and Dior Homme, I think I have enough oriental type fragrances. Could someone suggest other Chypre fragrances that are different from Tom Ford's Italian Cypress? Also, what other fragrances do you think are somewhat dark like Encre Noire?

Thanks!
    Last edited by supperman; 13th April 2010 at 02:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by supperman View Post
    From this haul, I realized that I like somewhat darker fragrances, which is why I prefer Bvlgari pH Soir over the original.
    Incense, darker... Dragon's Blood.

Quote Originally Posted by supperman View Post
    Could someone suggest other Chypre fragrances that are different from Tom Ford's Italian Cypress?
    I'm not sure really, I haven't tried any. I've been looking at Chypre Rose but it doesn't look like my type of thing; I have no idea how Chyper fragrances are SUPPOSED to smell or how this one actually smells in practice though.

Bvlgari Pour Homme seems to come $30 as a 3.4 ounce tester, I could jive with that... seems interesting to me. Interesting on the Encre Noire, I might look in that direction later... maybe I can sample these at Niemann Marcus or something.
    Last edited by bluefoxicy; 14th April 2010 at 03:24 PM.