Code of Conduct
    BINGO

Default L'Artisan Al Oudh

Okay, I can't take it anymore. I have to share this with the crew. For the first time, I am thoroughly blown away by this creation!

If you're frustrated in L'Artisan and it's reputation for being fleeting, this is redemption.

While in CA I spotted this bottle at Scent Bar, but couldn't smell worth a damn and sadly had to head home the next day.

Once back in AZ I made the trip over to Barney's Scottsdale who luckily has a tester. With my fresh pallet of skin, I put on two full sprays down the inside of my shirt (always love chest contact personally), one to my neck, and one to the wrist.

Immediately, I fell in love with this stuff! It is NOTHING like L'Artisan's other selections! Duchaufour nailed it with this one!

It started out warm and only get's warmer over time. Very musky, spicy, and smoky. Usually, it's hard to mix the three and come out with something well balanced, but I am honestly swept away by this. It has a immediate Christmas tree opening, but no worries, the musk/civet/cumin/oud create a whirlwind of provoking thoughts! It's dirty, spicy, smoky, clean, cuddly, manly, calming, and so much more.

Beautiful bottle, great juice with outstanding longevity and silliage. For those turned off to L'Artisan, I HIGHLY recommend giving this a try!

Just a friendly heads up.

-Tyler AKA FragranceJunkie

Default Re: L'Artisan Al Oudh

I got a small decant of it and kind of like it too. Just not sure where it would fit in for me.

I know one of the knocks on it is that it's heavy on the cumin and light on the oud. If you love it, fantastic. It's pretty sexy juice.

I'd probably buy a bottle if they offered a 50ml. I agree it is pretty good longevity. But I think those who like oud scents find it lacking in the oud category. I had a sniff of By Killians Pure Aoud and I can see where they're coming from. I think it burned the hair out of my nostrils.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 30th March 2010 at 05:31 PM.

Sur la Plage

I like a lot of L'Artisan fragrances, but I was not impressed with Al Oudless.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Hahaha, I agree it is "Oudless" but if you get past that fact, I thought it was pretty good
    If fragrance has a gender, so does all art.

I like it a lot because it is a very different interpretation of oud. I get animalic honey, cumin and doughy iris in the topnotes, then it gradually becomes all about cumin, civet and oud. The oud here is very, very subdued and isn't medicinal at all. The nicest thing about Al Oudh is that doughy, honeyed note that carries throughout the composition. Smells a bit like a Lutens too, which is always good.

Got it when it first came out and I love it.

reminds me of Timbuktu, except Timbuktu is a masterpiece, oud is good, but no thanx, Timbuktu is better. and has more longevity and presense than the Oudh. the cumin note in Oudh is replaced by a strong cypriol note in Timbuktu, it gives the scent an expansive feel , Awesome, only rival is Sycomore.
    Last edited by musclegod007; 30th March 2010 at 04:03 AM.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

L'Artisan Al Oudh impressed me far more than By Kilian's Pure Oud ever did... Thanks for sharing, Bingo. I think it's lovely.

when do you like to wear this? Only problem I have at times with scents like this is finding a time/place to wear. I always seem to be grabbing for others.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I agree. I found this to be far too cumin heavy to be called an oud. And I could have even forgiven that except that on my skin this has astonishingly short longevity.

Regards,
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by sjas1962 View Post
    I agree. I found this to be far too cumin heavy to be called an oud. And I could have even forgiven that except that on my skin this has astonishingly short longevity.

Regards,
    Steve
    I'm with you, Steve. I don't hate it, but it's a bit like dirty, sweaty crayons from all that cumin.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

I just cannot convince myself to fork out the bread for a bottle of this when I can put it towards a 1/4 tola of real oud.

I actually smell a fair bit of castoreum in this, and something that smells more like oud chips (that kind of ambery/raspberry/fruity smell that is so present in M7) moreso than an oud oil.

What I find particularly unique about this is its extremely smooth, almost velvety texture. Somehow, it avoids coming across as flat. I've heard people describe Encre Noir as a dark scent.. decillisjl said of EN "this is what it smells like at the event horizon of a black hole." To me, that description better fits Al Oudh. It smells so so dark to me. It calls to mind that sensation of looking into a deep well where the depth fades into blackness, or the feeling of being in complete darkness, when you can't even see your hand when waving it in front of your face.

Does anyone else perceive Al Oudh that way?
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

The cumin is too strong that it's starting to smell like BO!!! That's what turned me off.

Oud? what oud? I just sampled some L'Artisans today and Al-Oudh was one of them. I immediately dismissed it as boring, it's a nice scent with very very little oud in it. Maybe if I don't view it as an Oud fragrance I would like it more. But seriously, no oud in there...well, very little, not worthy to name the perfume after an almost non existent note.

All of the people praising it, have you tried other quality Oud fragrances? straight up oud oil? or you're saying it's a nice fragrance, not a nice oud fragrance.

It smells like unburned oud wood chips to me. A completely different note than Montale's rendition of the oud note.

I smell a hint of smoke and burning chips in the drydown, too. I think people are looking for a woody/medicinal/band aid rendition of the note and are disappointed when they aren't finding that.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Smells like a better quality, smoother version of M7 to be honest. I like it well enough though imo it's not exactly FBW stuff. I also did get that dark impression SoS highlighted but more in the exotic middle-eastern/Arabian Nights kinda of way. Perhaps those who are disapppointed at not finding dense, bitter almost medicinal oud notes may not be too familiar with L'Artisan Parfumeur signature style... I'm sure there's wardrobe space for Oudh Lite, or even Diet Oudh.

This stuff sho' is good. My very first impression is "shot of Jack Daniels," and since I'm still only an hour in on my very first testing, I can't bring much more to the table at the moment.

Kind of like how Royal Delight's first impression is "glass of root beer."

Yeah, I got a bit of a boozy impression at times too. It's odd that I still liked it as I'm not fan of whiskey. This stuff is just so smooth though. I feel bad for those who can't smell the castoreum in this - it's adding a beautiful inky/dark/velvet and leather feel and vibe.

A great yin to M7's yang.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

BINGO

I still love this fragrance and am planning a purchase soon.

Crikey, this stuff is good! Can't help going for a spritz every time I'm up in town. I really don't care there's no oud in it as it's fabulously spicy and sufficiently different from my other scents to merit a purchase in the near future...

Quote Originally Posted by Spoombung View Post
    Crikey, this stuff is good! Can't help going for a spritz every time I'm up in town. I really don't care there's no oud in it as it's fabulously spicy and sufficiently different from my other scents to merit a purchase in the near future...
    It's got something, that's for sure. Warm and sensual in a quasi nasty way.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    It's got something, that's for sure. Warm and sensual in a quasi nasty way.

Good description. I would add intriguing in a quasi- un-european/american foreign way!

This is the 2nd niche I am sampling (ok if we count Creed as niche, then 3rd after Musc Ravageur and GIT) and I am blown away. It reminds me MR bit, just more animalistic, darker and spicier. If every niche is as good, there are sooo many beautiful and unusual things to explore. Yay.
    Last edited by dreamer81; 24th August 2011 at 09:58 PM.
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus
    4. Creed Millesime Imperial
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

I deslike this one. I amost puked when tried it. Montale Black Aoud is by far superior

I love M7. Really have to try Al Oudh. Something tells me that I'll like it.

I wasn't too impressed. The starting was decent but then the cumin took over sliming everything in a sweaty-sour-musty aura. Points to them for trying something a bit risky but it's not for me.

My samples of this one over time have been a little confusing.

The first couple vials I tried this were quite differrent from the most recent, about a month ago: It was the 'c' show: cumin/civet/cumin/castoreum/cumin. Earlier samples were closer to the oud/agarwood experiences akin to oud 27 and by kilians. I like edgy and my most recent sampling had me off to the local Merz Hypothecary but (like LuckyScent) they were out and I had to order some.

Well... 3 weeks and waiting. Man, I'm generally patient when it comes to these things but the delay makes me wonder. Am I gonna get Jekyl or Hyde? Is there really such a thing? Hey L'Artisan... if you're listening, please make my batch extra rambunctious! hehe {cough}

After 2nd sampling I really like this one. Opening is to die for - dark, spicy, sweet with burned woods. To me it smells like "mystery". I worn it in gym and it felt really good. My question is: Is there anything with similiar opening as Al Oudh that keep its smell for longer time? I really love opening which is complex, but drydown smells simplier so if there is anything similiar but more complex on drydown... ?
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

Quote Originally Posted by dreamer81 View Post
    After 2nd sampling I really like this one. Opening is to die for - dark, spicy, sweet with burned woods. To me it smells like "mystery". I worn it in gym and it felt really good. My question is: Is there anything with similiar opening as Al Oudh that keep its smell for longer time? I really love opening which is complex, but drydown smells simplier so if there is anything similiar but more complex on drydown... ?

I think Al Oudh is quite unique and the outstanding fragrance of the house but you could try Dior's superb Leather Oud. It's different to Al Oudh - more of a heavy, honeyed tobacco but very complex ad long-lasting. You might like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoombung View Post
    I think Al Oudh is quite unique and the outstanding fragrance of the house but you could try Dior's superb Leather Oud. It's different to Al Oudh - more of a heavy, honeyed tobacco but very complex ad long-lasting. You might like it.
    Thank you for suggestion. I don't like too heavy or tobacco fragrances much so I am not sure if Leather Oud would be for me. What I love about Al Oudh is its animalistic notes (probably civet that I smelled also in Kouros) and spices combined with incense. Another L'Artisan fragrance that gets lot of praise here - Tea For Two - was too dense and heavy for my taste.

I am reading Al Oudh reviews on various sites and maybe Jubilation XXV might be what I am looking for?
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

Do try out Yellow Sea by Micallef. It starts out brighter and fresher with lemon and lavender, but has a strong animalic civet/castoreum note throughout, along with a good deal of benzoin.

Only problem is that it's longevity is not necessarily better.

Two other suggestions: Djin and Monk by Michael Storer. Both quite animalic!

I also, somewhat hesitantly recommend checking out Bond's New York Oud. It's somewhat similar to your typical Montale oud/rose but is simultaneously more velvety and refined, and also more animalic than most. It's not quite as dark as Al Oudh, but it does have a human sweat and slightly animalic facet in its musk & honey accord, which stretches from the opening of the scent to the base. It's dark but not as inky black as Al Oudh.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Al Oudh has all the important hallmarks of Bertrand Duchafour's genius: beauty and mystery, married to a relaxed technical brilliance. But it plays its dirty/sexy card too far up front, which I think is its fault. As a result, it comes off a little too sluttish.
    In theory, I love barnyard scents, but the combo of castoreum, civet, oud and cumin, all chomping at the bit, limit Al Oudh's quotidien value for me. I would only wear something like this to a cocktail party, and how often do I go to one of those?
    Plus I'm already covered in the pretty and sh*tty department with my bottle of Amouage Gold Man.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 31st August 2011 at 07:16 PM.

I enjoy a little barnyard via MKK, but a pigsty is another story. This stuff is a scrubber. Nasty ass synthetic oud.

Quote Originally Posted by volley2 View Post
    The cumin is too strong that it's starting to smell like BO!!! That's what turned me off.
    I thought it hinted at BO too on initial impression. I still need a full day wearing, I just might not go in public when I do.

Quote Originally Posted by volley2 View Post
    Yes, it turned very nasty very quickly. Rose 31 evokes the same kind of unease in me, but I can tolerate it; Al Oudh was unwearable.

Thumbs up Re: L'Artisan Al Oudh

My bottle arrived. Nice bottle!

I agree with just about all the comments regarding this one being quite rough around the edges. I also agree with comments regarding 'oud' in the name being a misnomer whether talking synthetic or real oud.

Granted, I popped around 12 sprays today as sotd... but 8+ hours and going strong. I'll probably dial it back a bit in the future, but I don't have longevity issues.

This is the now the most masculine scent I own. > Yatagan, yep. > MKK, yep. > Kouros, yep. > Cuba, yep. > Ajmal's Musk Ghazelle II, well no but that stuff don't count .

This is about as edgy as it gets folks. Not for all occasions, but I'll find enough of them to enjoy this bottle. I don't go in for the 'holy grail' concept and my nose is not very discriminating but Al Oudh is exactly what I'm after in a rough masculine scent. Bingo! One of the really good ones throughout my basenotes journey.

Like Bingo, I suggest that those searching for something hyper masculine include sampling Al Oudh. HOWEVER: If you're looking for an oud, you need a lot of balance, complexity, evolution to your scents, and especially if you have an aversion to the b.o. blast comensurate with cumin, then save your effort and pass it by.

I try to be open minded but this is just awful on me. A lot of people seem to like it, so maybe it's my skin chemistry, but I definitely won't be trying it again. I used about half my sample and flushed the rest down the toilet.

It's scary....I am starting to like this one. Oh no!!!! I am just not sure if it's worth getting a full bottle. I don't know if I can wear this in public. I enjoy it though when I'm sampling it.

Love this one. Easily one of the best of the line and full bottle-worthy for me.
    Current top 10:

1. L'Artisan Dzing!
    2. Lorenzo Villoresi Yerbamate
    3. Guerlain Bois d'Armenie
    4. L'Artisan Al Oudh
    5. Bond No. 9 Andy Warhol Silver Factory
    6. Parfumerie Generale Bois Blond
    7. Andy Tauer L'Air du Desert Marocain
    8. Guerlain Derby
    9. Geo F Trumper Eucris
    10. Parfum d'Empire Ambre Russe

I still maintain this smells exactly like some oud wood chips I have when they're burning.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

I hate that cumin is one of my alltime fav notes as I assume most people unfamiliar with perfume will think I need to take a shower. I've always associated L'AP with having very ethereal/effervescent scents but I got a sample of this one today and love it. This comment may not go over well with some, but I find it to take all the elements I liked about MKK (basically everything but the musk) and replace said musk with a very wearable (ie non medicinal) interpretation of oud.

As someone said earlier, this is not an oud scent necessarily but an oud-y scent. I think it's pretty great but cumin-centric notes are the one group of perfumes I'm hesitant to spring for bottles of simply because I know when it comes time to choose a fragrance before heading out I'll always chicken out -- it's very b.o.-ish to many. Serge Noire is the one cumin heavy scent that I wear publicly.

Al Oudh was never very high up on my "to try" list as oud isn't my thing, and L'Artisan rarely caters to my aesthetic, but having sampled it I find myself charmed.

Disclaimer: I am well acquainted with "oud" fragrances but all the real oud I've tried was of highly dubious quality, so if this is similar to some rare oud grade I'm unfamiliar with, I may be missing something. Saying that, I don't get any oud here nor can I judge it in relation to its oudiness.

Al Oudh reminds me of four different oriental scents: Serge Lutens Arabie, Parfum d'Empire Aziyade, Lubin Idole, and MFK Absolue Pour le Soir. I smell a mix of cumin, beeswax, rum, and castoreum, and it's the exception among cumin scents in that it actually smells animalic to my nose, really embracing the slightly "cheesy" element of castoreum and rendering a true to life body note. The beeswax and rum help keep it in check, though, and unlike most of those listed as references for this fragrance, Al Oudh is quite subdued and hugs the skin after the first fifteen.

It seems this one has mostly slipped on the backburner of perfumista fandom since its release year - how are people feeling about it these days?

( I was going to start a new thread, but there were so many insightful comments on this fragrance here, I saw no harm in "bumping". )

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    Al Oudh was never very high up on my "to try" list as oud isn't my thing, and L'Artisan rarely caters to my aesthetic, but having sampled it I find myself charmed.

Al Oudh reminds me of four different oriental scents: Serge Lutens Arabie, Parfum d'Empire Aziyade, Lubin Idole, and MFK Absolue Pour le Soir.

It seems this one has mostly slipped on the backburner of perfumista fandom since its release year - how are people feeling about it these days?

( I was going to start a new thread, but there were so many insightful comments on this fragrance here, I saw no harm in "bumping". )
    I like it, but as I own Oud Shamash (also by Duchaufour) that is a more refined version of Al Oudh using real Oud and nixing the heavy cumin and synthetic stuff here it is tough to go back to it. I kind of view Al Oudh as a prototype of Oud Shamash. The latter release perfected the spicy blend with a higher material budget resulting in the best thing I've sniffed from Duchaufour to date.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

I'll have to try Oud Shamash. That being said, less cumin would be disappointing for me: the nutty overdose of cumin is a large part of what I love about this fragrance.

Firstly, I think it one of the most beautiful bottles out there. It's just a wonderful work of art.

Secondly, as for the scent, so funny, i was going through a pile today and it's the only one I opened and sniffed again (twice!) because I just love it so dearly.

As to the scent, I find it's maybe closer to Saffron Troublant, not as milky/powder but it's that rose saffron light oud with barnyard from Dzing! combo. It's a little dirty, admittedly, but it's no MFK Absolue Pour le Soir. It's not for beginners, but if you're mature and have smelled a lot and don't mind a little funk, it's well worth a try IMO.
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    ... the nutty overdose of cumin is a large part of what I love about this fragrance.
    +1 I agree! What I find so great about this scent is that it lightly veers aridly aromatic, as opposed to the hefty oriental expected from these notes. I consider it a great modern alternative to Eau d'Hermès. Hands down my favorite L'Artisan fragrance.

An excellent fragrance & the best performing l'Artisan that I own.