Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: L'Artisan Al Oudh

Quote Originally Posted by Spoombung View Post
    I think Al Oudh is quite unique and the outstanding fragrance of the house but you could try Dior's superb Leather Oud. It's different to Al Oudh - more of a heavy, honeyed tobacco but very complex ad long-lasting. You might like it.
    Thank you for suggestion. I don't like too heavy or tobacco fragrances much so I am not sure if Leather Oud would be for me. What I love about Al Oudh is its animalistic notes (probably civet that I smelled also in Kouros) and spices combined with incense. Another L'Artisan fragrance that gets lot of praise here - Tea For Two - was too dense and heavy for my taste.

I am reading Al Oudh reviews on various sites and maybe Jubilation XXV might be what I am looking for?
    TOP 3 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Creed Millesime Imperial
    3. Lalique Encre Noire

TOP 3 cold weather:

1. Dior Homme
    2. Eau Des Baux
    3. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    Currently wearing: Philosykos by Diptyque

Do try out Yellow Sea by Micallef. It starts out brighter and fresher with lemon and lavender, but has a strong animalic civet/castoreum note throughout, along with a good deal of benzoin.

Only problem is that it's longevity is not necessarily better.

Two other suggestions: Djin and Monk by Michael Storer. Both quite animalic!

I also, somewhat hesitantly recommend checking out Bond's New York Oud. It's somewhat similar to your typical Montale oud/rose but is simultaneously more velvety and refined, and also more animalic than most. It's not quite as dark as Al Oudh, but it does have a human sweat and slightly animalic facet in its musk & honey accord, which stretches from the opening of the scent to the base. It's dark but not as inky black as Al Oudh.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Al Oudh has all the important hallmarks of Bertrand Duchafour's genius: beauty and mystery, married to a relaxed technical brilliance. But it plays its dirty/sexy card too far up front, which I think is its fault. As a result, it comes off a little too sluttish.
    In theory, I love barnyard scents, but the combo of castoreum, civet, oud and cumin, all chomping at the bit, limit Al Oudh's quotidien value for me. I would only wear something like this to a cocktail party, and how often do I go to one of those?
    Plus I'm already covered in the pretty and sh*tty department with my bottle of Amouage Gold Man.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 31st August 2011 at 07:16 PM.

I enjoy a little barnyard via MKK, but a pigsty is another story. This stuff is a scrubber. Nasty ass synthetic oud.

Quote Originally Posted by volley2 View Post
    The cumin is too strong that it's starting to smell like BO!!! That's what turned me off.
    I thought it hinted at BO too on initial impression. I still need a full day wearing, I just might not go in public when I do.

Quote Originally Posted by volley2 View Post
    The cumin is too strong that it's starting to smell like BO!!! That's what turned me off.
    Yes, it turned very nasty very quickly. Rose 31 evokes the same kind of unease in me, but I can tolerate it; Al Oudh was unwearable.

Thumbs up Re: L'Artisan Al Oudh

My bottle arrived. Nice bottle!

I agree with just about all the comments regarding this one being quite rough around the edges. I also agree with comments regarding 'oud' in the name being a misnomer whether talking synthetic or real oud.

Granted, I popped around 12 sprays today as sotd... but 8+ hours and going strong. I'll probably dial it back a bit in the future, but I don't have longevity issues.

This is the now the most masculine scent I own. > Yatagan, yep. > MKK, yep. > Kouros, yep. > Cuba, yep. > Ajmal's Musk Ghazelle II, well no but that stuff don't count .

This is about as edgy as it gets folks. Not for all occasions, but I'll find enough of them to enjoy this bottle. I don't go in for the 'holy grail' concept and my nose is not very discriminating but Al Oudh is exactly what I'm after in a rough masculine scent. Bingo! One of the really good ones throughout my basenotes journey.

Like Bingo, I suggest that those searching for something hyper masculine include sampling Al Oudh. HOWEVER: If you're looking for an oud, you need a lot of balance, complexity, evolution to your scents, and especially if you have an aversion to the b.o. blast comensurate with cumin, then save your effort and pass it by.

I try to be open minded but this is just awful on me. A lot of people seem to like it, so maybe it's my skin chemistry, but I definitely won't be trying it again. I used about half my sample and flushed the rest down the toilet.

It's scary....I am starting to like this one. Oh no!!!! I am just not sure if it's worth getting a full bottle. I don't know if I can wear this in public. I enjoy it though when I'm sampling it.

Love this one. Easily one of the best of the line and full bottle-worthy for me.
    Current top 10:

1. L'Artisan Dzing!
    2. Lorenzo Villoresi Yerbamate
    3. Guerlain Bois d'Armenie
    4. L'Artisan Al Oudh
    5. Bond No. 9 Andy Warhol Silver Factory
    6. Parfumerie Generale Bois Blond
    7. Andy Tauer L'Air du Desert Marocain
    8. Guerlain Derby
    9. Geo F Trumper Eucris
    10. Parfum d'Empire Ambre Russe

I still maintain this smells exactly like some oud wood chips I have when they're burning.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

I hate that cumin is one of my alltime fav notes as I assume most people unfamiliar with perfume will think I need to take a shower. I've always associated L'AP with having very ethereal/effervescent scents but I got a sample of this one today and love it. This comment may not go over well with some, but I find it to take all the elements I liked about MKK (basically everything but the musk) and replace said musk with a very wearable (ie non medicinal) interpretation of oud.

As someone said earlier, this is not an oud scent necessarily but an oud-y scent. I think it's pretty great but cumin-centric notes are the one group of perfumes I'm hesitant to spring for bottles of simply because I know when it comes time to choose a fragrance before heading out I'll always chicken out -- it's very b.o.-ish to many. Serge Noire is the one cumin heavy scent that I wear publicly.

Al Oudh was never very high up on my "to try" list as oud isn't my thing, and L'Artisan rarely caters to my aesthetic, but having sampled it I find myself charmed.

Disclaimer: I am well acquainted with "oud" fragrances but all the real oud I've tried was of highly dubious quality, so if this is similar to some rare oud grade I'm unfamiliar with, I may be missing something. Saying that, I don't get any oud here nor can I judge it in relation to its oudiness.

Al Oudh reminds me of four different oriental scents: Serge Lutens Arabie, Parfum d'Empire Aziyade, Lubin Idole, and MFK Absolue Pour le Soir. I smell a mix of cumin, beeswax, rum, and castoreum, and it's the exception among cumin scents in that it actually smells animalic to my nose, really embracing the slightly "cheesy" element of castoreum and rendering a true to life body note. The beeswax and rum help keep it in check, though, and unlike most of those listed as references for this fragrance, Al Oudh is quite subdued and hugs the skin after the first fifteen.

It seems this one has mostly slipped on the backburner of perfumista fandom since its release year - how are people feeling about it these days?

( I was going to start a new thread, but there were so many insightful comments on this fragrance here, I saw no harm in "bumping". )

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    Al Oudh was never very high up on my "to try" list as oud isn't my thing, and L'Artisan rarely caters to my aesthetic, but having sampled it I find myself charmed.

Al Oudh reminds me of four different oriental scents: Serge Lutens Arabie, Parfum d'Empire Aziyade, Lubin Idole, and MFK Absolue Pour le Soir.

It seems this one has mostly slipped on the backburner of perfumista fandom since its release year - how are people feeling about it these days?

( I was going to start a new thread, but there were so many insightful comments on this fragrance here, I saw no harm in "bumping". )
    I like it, but as I own Oud Shamash (also by Duchaufour) that is a more refined version of Al Oudh using real Oud and nixing the heavy cumin and synthetic stuff here it is tough to go back to it. I kind of view Al Oudh as a prototype of Oud Shamash. The latter release perfected the spicy blend with a higher material budget resulting in the best thing I've sniffed from Duchaufour to date.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

I'll have to try Oud Shamash. That being said, less cumin would be disappointing for me: the nutty overdose of cumin is a large part of what I love about this fragrance.

Firstly, I think it one of the most beautiful bottles out there. It's just a wonderful work of art.

Secondly, as for the scent, so funny, i was going through a pile today and it's the only one I opened and sniffed again (twice!) because I just love it so dearly.

As to the scent, I find it's maybe closer to Saffron Troublant, not as milky/powder but it's that rose saffron light oud with barnyard from Dzing! combo. It's a little dirty, admittedly, but it's no MFK Absolue Pour le Soir. It's not for beginners, but if you're mature and have smelled a lot and don't mind a little funk, it's well worth a try IMO.
    Tom Ford Splits: ORIGINAL AMBER ABSOLUTE AVAILABLE (PreReformulation)!!!
    ONE LEFT:
    Italian Cypress, Azure Lime, Costa Azzura, Patchouli Absolu, Mandarino Di Amalfi

Also: Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood, Noir de Noir, Neroli Portofino, Lavender Palm, Plum Japonais, Champacca Absolute
    Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Máscara Almizclado

... the nutty overdose of cumin is a large part of what I love about this fragrance.
    +1 I agree! What I find so great about this scent is that it lightly veers aridly aromatic, as opposed to the hefty oriental expected from these notes. I consider it a great modern alternative to Eau d'Hermès. Hands down my favorite L'Artisan fragrance.

An excellent fragrance & the best performing l'Artisan that I own.
    Currently wearing: Kalemat by Arabian Oud

I sprayed this one on at the Bendel sale and had regretted not buying it so I just bought it from lilydirect who has a great deal on it at $93 for a 100ml. Best price I've seen for it online.
    Sale thread- http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...-FREE-SHIPPING!!

Swap thread- http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...es-and-Decants!

Looking to swap for Full or partial bottle of Xerjoff Kobe , Nio

If anyone has a sample of Kobe that they'd like to swap it would be much appreciated!!
    Currently wearing: Tolu by Ormonde Jayne

Quote Originally Posted by EncreNous View Post
    I sprayed this one on at the Bendel sale and had regretted not buying it so I just bought it from lilydirect who has a great deal on it at $93 for a 100ml. Best price I've seen for it online.
    That's an excellent price. Congrats!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

... It seems this one has mostly slipped on the backburner of perfumista fandom since its release year - how are people feeling about it these days?
    My bottle is 3 years old now and my perception hasn't changed much. I'd add that It's not versatile; I wear in maybe once every couple months on average but that has as much to do with the number of bottles I've got as well as my particular lifestyle. Nevertheless, I consider it one of my top shelf gems that allow a quick, easy, and satisfying fringe alternative from the more everyday type scent that fits my everyday type lifestyle. If I were forced to whittle my inventory to 50 or so bottles, Al Oudh would survive the cut. It's one of the few frangrances I've ever bought full retail out of a brick&mortar and I would consider paying < $1/ml a steal. Oh, and even applying under clothing, I no longer sport 12 or so sprays; half that serves well.
    Simplex Sigillum Veri

No much oud for me, but the scent itself very warm, and very human. I'm thinking of getting it.

I like animalic fragrances but this smells like my friends do after a game of futbol, its straight up funky body odor and not in a nice way.

Just picked up a 3.4oz tester of this at FragranceNet for $49. SCORE!

Looking forward to trying it.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by frostiblack View Post
    Just picked up a 3.4oz tester of this at FragranceNet for $49. SCORE!

Looking forward to trying it.
    Wow. That's an awesome deal. Congratulations!!!

I love L'Artisan Al Oudh.

Thanks! I was on the fence (loved the fragrance when I sampled it at Sephora, but wasn't quite ready to shell out the $200) but that price made it way more compelling.

Quote Originally Posted by CapriDog View Post
    Wow. That's an awesome deal. Congratulations!!!

I love L'Artisan Al Oudh.

Al Oudh is without a doubt a fantastic creation by Bertrand Duchaufour, who seems to be the most creative individual in the perfume industry. Of course there is no Oud in Al Oudh, and it doesn't even smell of synthetic Oud, but to me is a warm & spicy oriental with quite an intense animalic vibe. It's exotic and rich.

Well, the $49 (3.4 oz) bottle of Al Oudh arrived today, and wow - I have to say, this is my favourite l'Artisan to date.

It feels heavier, warmer, richer than the ones I've had before. Love it.