Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Exclamation Perfume of Queen Hatshepsut, Paharoh of Egypt found.

Queen Hatshepsut was one of very few women who ruled as Pharoh in Egypt. Her reign was for twenty years prior to 1479 B.C. The below address will take you to the full story of how scientists think there is residue in a flacon found in her tomb with her name on it. The scientists hope that there is enough residue to replicate the perfume. Wow!

Maybe you can take all of your fragrances with you to the after-life, after all.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29865248...ience-science/
    Last edited by N_Tesla; 30th March 2010 at 02:00 AM.

Default Re: Perfume of Queen Hatshepsut, Paharoh of Egypt found.

They can recreate 3500 year old fragrances but can't make a decent new one... go figure.

I wonder what company will end up getting the formula to make it. Amouage could produce it and change their slogan- "Amouage: The Gift of Kings... and Pharos" or maybe "The Perfect Gift For Your Mum-my".

How fascinating! Won't it be interesting to read the 'formula'! And, it will answer all out questions about how long can a perfume last!

reine

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome Toad View Post
    "The Perfect Gift For Your Mum-my".
    Haha, loves it!

The article is almost a year old. It'd be great to know if the scientists are any closer now to replicating the ancient perfume than they were when they found the residue. I wonder if IFRA restrictions are preventing them from achieving this goal.

Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post
    The article is almost a year old. It'd be great to know if the scientists are any closer now to replicating the ancient perfume than they were when they found the residue. I wonder if IFRA restrictions are preventing them from achieving this goal.
    Maybe they can say that it is a archeological research project and not bound by perfume regulations because it wouldn't be intended as a perfume?

I don't know but maybe they can just determine what molecules it is made out of and at least reconstruct the fragrance on paper if not in reality? Because then we can just execute the formulation at home
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Banned

I'm willing to bet there is myrrh in the perfume.

I bet the reformulation won't be a patch on the original
    Last edited by sean-dt; 31st March 2010 at 12:44 PM.

Oh, my! This is exciting. I know that one company, Scents of Time, makes scents based on research.

I am just hoping that one can replicate the scents of a *singularly* handsome dandy from the 19th century...

http://www.mimifroufrou.com/scenteds..._scents_o.html
    Last edited by Primrose; 1st April 2010 at 09:18 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by sean-dt View Post
    I bet the reformulation won't be a patch on the original

Last edited by LaBoheme; 1st April 2010 at 08:27 PM.

Scents of Time did a tribute to Cleopatra, an aquatic/ water lily scent as I remember.
    If anyone is interested in reading an enjoyable historical novel on Hatshepsut, check out "Child of the Morning" by Pauline Gedge.
    She was a very interesting character. I was in Egypt and visited her tomb, it is striking in terms of location and architecture. Amazing experience!
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    Scents of Time did a tribute to Cleopatra, an aquatic/ water lily scent as I remember.
    If anyone is interested in reading an enjoyable historical novel on Hatshepsut, check out "Child of the Morning" by Pauline Gedge.
    She was a very interesting character. I was in Egypt and visited her tomb, it is striking in terms of location and architecture. Amazing experience!
    Although the book takes its liberties with history, it's a great book. Her tomb may possibly be the most beautiful one; I agree.
    I admire the woman - the way she went ahead and proclaimed herself pharaoh, the way she kept Egypt in peace, how she improved trade etc.
    Thank you for writing about this!

Here is a picture of the Queen's temple:

Last edited by Madame du Barry; 2nd April 2010 at 08:00 AM.